Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Hey, I blacksmith as a hobby, and I know other folks here like to get their craft on. And the craft forum is too wholesome for the hosed up steel objects I’ll be showing off here and I expect to see some truly twisted poo poo from the other crafters.

Here’s my newest knife almost done. I almost disemboweled myself when it got stuck in the drill press and spun around and cut my arm and nicked my belly. Then it slammed into the shaft of the press which is why it has a huge chip and roll on the edge. Cheers. After I damaged it like that I’m gonna have to grind it way narrower than I wanted so I’ll probably just leave it hosed up to remind me of how lucky I was my arm was in the way when I lost control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Of the various hobbies I've been wanting to start as soon as I get out of my hosed up job/living situation blacksmithing is one I want to try the most. Don't have anything to show or do at the moment but by June I can actually start doing stuff.

That's a cool knife though, I'm jealous

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ended up havin to push my first blacksmithin class back two weeks because the second one would conflict with easter but i talked to the guy and i'm fuckin stoked, it seems like its gonna kick rear end. lookin forward to getting wrestling moves done on me by power tools too

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Fungah! posted:

ended up havin to push my first blacksmithin class back two weeks because the second one would conflict with easter but i talked to the guy and i'm fuckin stoked, it seems like its gonna kick rear end. lookin forward to getting wrestling moves done on me by power tools too

Don’t pick up anything metal with your bare hands in the shop dude. Steel can be 1000 degrees before you see it’s hot. Trust me lmfao. My fingers are hosed.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Don’t pick up anything metal with your bare hands in the shop dude. Steel can be 1000 degrees before you see it’s hot. Trust me lmfao. My fingers are hosed.

holy poo poo, yeah not doin that any time soon. gloves on 100%

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Wormskull posted:

lmao

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
wormskull giving me a crazy looking thumbs up with his Johnny Tremain hand as i head off to my first blacksmithing class. and feeling a chill run down my spine

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

wormskull giving me a crazy looking thumbs up with his Johnny Tremain hand as i head off to my first blacksmithing class. and feeling a chill run down my spine

Lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HolePisser1982 posted:

Lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

HolePisser1982 posted:

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

lmao

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

HolePisser1982 posted:

Lmao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Also I just finished heat treating my cutoff hardy but I don’t feel like taking a picture until I weld a little bit more steel on it and grind it pretty. Also I envy you guys that are gonna get to make your first tongs probably. It’s so frickin awesome lol, when that poo poo works right you feel like a Greek god harnessing nature, upgrading your hands to be able to hold fire and poo poo lmao. It’s sick. Tongs ftw.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Specially if they make you use a coal forge. So hype.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

But for real that seems like a healthy hobby to take up in your free time. I imagine it being equally cathartic and challenging. 🖕🏿

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

But for real that seems like a healthy hobby to take up in your free time. I imagine it being equally cathartic and challenging. 🖕🏿

I lost 50 pounds in the year since I started doing it.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

blacksmithing is insanely cool. I’m not creative enough. I used to weld a bit as needed (family farm) and helped fab some ridiculous banshee quads at a neighbor’s machine shop but the I guess the coolest thing I made on my own was a cube lol (MIG is cheating):

also lol plasma cutters are loving sick:

(the bird poo poo is absolutely not mine lol)

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

right arm posted:

blacksmithing is insanely cool. I’m not creative enough. I used to weld a bit as needed (family farm) and helped fab some ridiculous banshee quads at a neighbor’s machine shop but the I guess the coolest thing I made on my own was a cube lol (MIG is cheating):

also lol plasma cutters are loving sick:

(the bird poo poo is absolutely not mine lol)

I have a oxy torch and a tiny Tig? I think welder I gotta learn to use, also you poo poo bird poo poo out of your human rear end lol and it is yours and it's God damned nasty.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

And I like that cube. If I had a real steel anvil I might go with that japanese style cube one. Cubes are hype.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

I have a oxy torch and a tiny Tig? I think welder I gotta learn to use, also you poo poo bird poo poo out of your human rear end lol and it is yours and it's God damned nasty.

hell yeah oxy is so much fun. haven’t brazed in ages but used to fusion weld stuff all the time at my dad’s

I suck at TIG and definitely need to practice. that stuff definitely looks like bird poo poo lol gotten soft driving around and looking at people’s animals all day :D

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

HolePisser1982 posted:

lmfao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

lmao

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

HolePisser1982 posted:

lmfao

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

lmfao

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i just write music, the thinking mans crafting if you will

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Edge of the Anvil, The Home Blacksmith, and The Complete Bladesmith are books I bought that are cool. 2 of them are like 40-50 years old so I’d get one more recent one to see if we learned anything. Some Naked and Afraid contestant named Laura Zerra wrote a bladesmithing book that is pretty cool. Pretty much every book I’ve seen on the subject of smithing contains some ingenious tip the writer learned from an ancient blacksmith in Europe or Polynesia or whatever lol so I’d at least DL and Have A Look at a couple others. The Modern Blacksmith is another good old one by a guy who is also a wood carver and makes his own tools.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Love to joke with the boys that I’m doing this with my weiner.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

thats so badass lol

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

trying to jack off posted:

i just write music, the thinking mans crafting if you will

May we hear it?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pungry posted:

May we hear it?

he's trying to, jack off

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Love to joke with the boys that I’m doing this with my weiner.

Lol

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Wormskull posted:

Lol I did that in high school metal shop, one of the guys made a pencil cup and set it on a table after using the mig, picked it up to look and did a full on Goofy yell before sprinting to the sink. Still got little scars so yeah don't touch metal in the metal shop!!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

Lol I did that in high school metal shop, one of the guys made a pencil cup and set it on a table after using the mig, picked it up to look and did a full on Goofy yell before sprinting to the sink. Still got little scars so yeah don't touch metal in the metal shop!!

I tried to grab a falling piece of rebar that was bright orange and it like instantly blanched and numbers my fingers and felt kinda like butter sliding through my hand.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

I tried to grab a falling piece of rebar that was bright orange and it like instantly blanched and numbers my fingers and felt kinda like butter sliding through my hand.

god drat dude

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Goofy yell followed by dunking your hands in the slack tub and river dancing is scientifically proven to help with forge burns.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

loving hell

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Wormskull posted:

Goofy yell followed by dunking your hands in the slack tub and river dancing is scientifically proven to help with forge burns.

Lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Fungah! posted:

holy poo poo, yeah not doin that any time soon. gloves on 100%

lol i keep thinking of this and lolling