Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

You don’t have to be a buck tooth black spit redneck to be a craftsimp… but it helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It’s about cooking but it’s somewhat crafting related so I’ll tell In Training’s story about the time he started grilling lmfao and he had it going out in the courtyard and when the smoke really started popping off he got embarrassed and went inside and watched from the window. Lmfqo

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Edit: Mods, edit that out if I’m not supposed to share his grilling story.

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008
lmfao

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Cousin Foomin posted:

My brother brought a machete to the family (bunch of rednecks) white elephant one year for Christmas and it got so rowdy we cancelled white elephant for like 3 years.

Wormskull posted:

It’s about cooking but it’s somewhat crafting related so I’ll tell In Training’s story about the time he started grilling lmfao and he had it going out in the courtyard and when the smoke really started popping off he got embarrassed and went inside and watched from the window. Lmfqo

lmfao

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Cousin Foomin posted:

My brother brought a machete to the family (bunch of rednecks) white elephant one year for Christmas and it got so rowdy we cancelled white elephant for like 3 years.

lmao

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

lmfay

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the only real craft stuff i do is cosplay for conventions starting last year-ish, so here's Angel Devil from Chainsaw Man

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Wormskull posted:

Lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Spanish Manlove posted:

The leaves for the ivy were the most fun of the whole thing. They were all done by watering down paint and then dripping it onto a coffee filter, then once that dried I used a hole punch that I borrowed from my 4yo niece that made little leaf shapes. After making a bunch of confetti it was glued to floral wire on the wall.

love this

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

symbolic posted:

the only real craft stuff i do is cosplay for conventions starting last year-ish, so here's Angel Devil from Chainsaw Man

Did you tailor the suit?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Cousin Foomin posted:

Lol

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wormskull posted:

Lmao

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The face on the sun was done with a very fine tip brush and black ink mixed with black paint. Base was kind of an afterthought because I was happy enough with the sun and the tabard. Gave this one to a friend for her birthday

This was actually a test model for some fancy metallic paints I wanted to try out from Vallejo. The base was a last minute "sure whatever" idea where I mixed a bunch of green powder stuff from a children's school diorama kit and some thinned pva glue into a slurry and then put yellow foam pieces on top to look like flowers. That's a weird recipe I came up with when trying to make moss one time and couldn't get the powder to stick to a surface so I thought it might work better if I mixed glue into it then applied it to the surface. It's the same idea used in places on the Artorias diorama.

The cheapest way to get a bunch of swords was a pack of plastic skewers that were cut up to make them look a little different than each other, and then different kinds of oxidation colors. I had to make the rock in the middle a lot taller so that was just the pink xps foam that you can get a square meter for $5 at home depot. The wolf was mostly painted using makeup brushes to build up a gradient. Since then I figured out a more convincing fur recipe where you blend wet paint together on the undercoat then use the makeup brush for the overcoat.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

herculon posted:

Did you tailor the suit?

i wish i was that skilled. baby steps

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
I'm still pretty new at this but I got started with mini painting and terrain building for D&D games about 8 months ago and I'm having a blast with it

one of the first minis I painted, not good on a technical level but the concept makes me lol:

underdark cave set made out of mostly garbage styrofoam

hag's hut exterior with vegetable mimics made from polymer clay

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Hell yeah

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018
oh drat blacksmith talk, i love this poo poo

i been smithing for about ten years off and on, it's basically the most fun thing in the world. here's some of my stuff

mild steel bottle opener i made for my brother for his birthday five or six years ago

cloak pin

not properly blacksmithing, but i'm hella proud. this one's silver/copper mokume gane

my forge, which is literally a box full of sand with a hole in the side to accept an air pipe. i built a smaller one as a stopgap while saving up for an old rivet forge or something, but it works so well i just built a bigger one and see no reason to change it out

windchime. tentacles are a mix of mild steel and wrought iron. this was a bitch to get balanced, i intend to do another one someday more sanely designed

'nother bottle opener, this one's mild steel finished with boiled linseed oil

nails are a fun medium

a nail what i done made myself

The Abstractopus

little knife i made on a lark out of forge welded straighened-out garage door spring. i kinda hosed up the weld as you can see, but it's sharp as hell

yet another bottle opener. this one's wrought iron, as evidenced by the ends being delaminated a little on account of i didn't know how to work wrought iron when i made this. very different from mild steel

simple sterling rings

a piece from the Iron Shithouse Collection that i never finished. i gotta go back to that

now that the weather's warming up it's time to get back into it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

that's all badass and lol at The Iron Shitter

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That’s hype brother.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I gotta try that linseed strat, I love the color.

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018
yeah it's real nice. all you gotta do is get the work to a black heat and dab the oil on with a paper towel or something. the heat polymerizes the oil and you get a decently durable finish that keeps poo poo from rusting. i like using that paste wax stuff too, that gets used a lot for woodworking. basically any oil or wax will do the trick, but the hot linseed oil smells real nice

you gotta be careful though, i've only seen it happen once but a paper towel or rag soaked in linseed oil can spontaneously combust. leave that poo poo out in the open away from anything flammable for a couple hours before you throw it out, or just toss it in the forge

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I would now like a giant 600lbs iron toilet to poo poo upon.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah when linseed oil dries it’s exothermic so keep the rags spread out and in the open to dry completely before tossing them.

I tried to grow my own flax last year for the oil or fibers but my big dumb foster dog decided to make that part of the yard his playground so none of those plants had a chance

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018
last summer i smelted some iron by accident

one of the things about using a sandbox for a forge is the sand turns to glass everytime you run it. this ain't a big deal, you just have to pull the big half-melted chunks of glass out and dig the firepot back out and you're good to go. one thing you can do to prevent that from happening as much is mixing ash in with the sand, so i'll regularly stir the coal ash around with the sand to get it homogeneous. i was doing this one morning ahead of lighting up for the day and i hit something weird right underneath the air pipe. it was a lump of something that wasn't clinker, what in the hell is this, it's really heavy, this definitely isn't clinker. wait, why is it sticking a magnet? oh gently caress, i made iron!

after thinking about it a little, i figured out what happened. the sand i used to fill up the forge is black, which i didn't think anything of when i bought it. but that poo poo is black because there's a whole lot of iron oxide in it, and the conditions directly underneath the air supply were perfect for the iron oxide to reduce and then melt together into a pretty drat good iron bloom, very pure. so i spent a couple hours flattening it out and folding and welding it, and i got a little chunk of iron i made myself, by accident, out of sand

this summer i plan to build a full size bloomery furnace and make enough iron to really do something with

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

borgnar posted:

last summer i smelted some iron by accident

one of the things about using a sandbox for a forge is the sand turns to glass everytime you run it. this ain't a big deal, you just have to pull the big half-melted chunks of glass out and dig the firepot back out and you're good to go. one thing you can do to prevent that from happening as much is mixing ash in with the sand, so i'll regularly stir the coal ash around with the sand to get it homogeneous. i was doing this one morning ahead of lighting up for the day and i hit something weird right underneath the air pipe. it was a lump of something that wasn't clinker, what in the hell is this, it's really heavy, this definitely isn't clinker. wait, why is it sticking a magnet? oh gently caress, i made iron!

after thinking about it a little, i figured out what happened. the sand i used to fill up the forge is black, which i didn't think anything of when i bought it. but that poo poo is black because there's a whole lot of iron oxide in it, and the conditions directly underneath the air supply were perfect for the iron oxide to reduce and then melt together into a pretty drat good iron bloom, very pure. so i spent a couple hours flattening it out and folding and welding it, and i got a little chunk of iron i made myself, by accident, out of sand

this summer i plan to build a full size bloomery furnace and make enough iron to really do something with

Sick

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Today my cutoff hardy worked and I got a piece of 1 1/2 inch axle down to 7/8 for my next anvil tool’s Shaft and boy are my arms tired.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Yeah I gotta learn to use the welder and oxy torch and get my new charcoal forge made again… I miss not having to shove poo poo in a tiny tunnel and it’s harder to localize heat in the prope forge.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I feel like a huge pussy for buying a telescope now.

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018
man an oxy-fuel rig is so useful, i wish i had the cash for one. my last job was like 70% oxy-propylene torch brazing, be fun to put those skills to use toward something more interesting

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

no way, telescopes kick rear end

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Lmfao

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

sick knife

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lmao

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Nah you're good. Telescopes and astronomy are neat

When I was a kid the local astronomy enthusiast club would have little events where you could go and look through some retired engineer's 15" telescope and see very detailed images of Saturn and stuff. It was cool as gently caress

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

borgnar posted:

no way, telescopes kick rear end

Spanish Manlove posted:

Nah you're good. Telescopes and astronomy are neat

When I was a kid the local astronomy enthusiast club would have little events where you could go and look through some retired engineer's 15" telescope and see very detailed images of Saturn and stuff. It was cool as gently caress