Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Wormskull posted:

I just want a wee cabin with a forge shed out back and some chickens. Anyone got any leads.

Drive out to the woods and build a cabin with your own hands. Ultimate crafting project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

small sampling of recent sketches, *lunchlady voice* hope you like em sloppy!!
we got some fromsoftian blindfolded religious figures (juxtaposing braille with compound bug eyes: is that evocative?). we got some centipedes and similar-ish larvae, large and extra large. and yeah, some pelvic bone scorpions that dont really work yet. currently working on imagining grand cathedrals with giant ant pupae being worshiped.

it's good poo poo but lol my mom keeps being like "You remember those beautiful birds you used to paint??" yeah nice freakin try

sick. digging the starry mandibles around the guy's head in that last one

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wormskull posted:

I just want a wee cabin with a forge shed out back and some chickens. Anyone got any leads.

No but my neighbors used to have a bunch of chickens and they'd give us free eggs every week until the wife cheated with the neighbors husband across the street and blew up my free eggs empire.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

No but my neighbors used to have a bunch of chickens and they'd give us free eggs every week until the wife cheated with the neighbors husband across the street and blew up my free eggs empire.
Lmao

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

only get eggs from poly couples

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

It's not funny.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

We had hens in our backyard when I was a kid that I was allowed to name so they were called Sting and Kevin Nash.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018
that's an extremely clean twist, very nice work

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Hell yeah. Twists and scrolls are so sick. I got an appendectomy today so idk if I’ll be forging anytime soon unforch.

Cousin Foomin
Feb 21, 2018

Wormskull posted:

Hell yeah. Twists and scrolls are so sick. I got an appendectomy today so idk if I’ll be forging anytime soon unforch.

What the heck? Dang, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better soon.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

holy poo poo dude, get better soon

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

You should forge yourself a new appendix.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Wormskull posted:

i had mine when i was 8 and i recommend all imps do the same

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm comin.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Wormskull posted:

I tried to grab a falling piece of rebar that was bright orange and it like instantly blanched and numbers my fingers and felt kinda like butter sliding through my hand.

whoa. cool

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

----------------

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

HolePisser1982 posted:

Worm's gotten me super into 3d-printed Guns & Explosives since covid hit

Current steez:

Mandatory ambulance ride pic, lol:

Prior attempts:
Yikes
(that one left a mark!!)

And yeah, I've recovered a ton and it taught me some crucial lessons. Trust me, Fungah, once you get a couple builds under your belt you'll feel like a god

e: Awesome, feds fuckin with my site again. Cheers for that!

lmfao

----------------

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Fortaleza posted:

Other than woodwork my main crafty thing is moonshinin'

I stick to fruit brandies and aquavit since they're harder to come by and I can make stuff better than store bought at this point. I age 'em in little oak barrels in my cellar and when a batch gets good I share with with bartenders around town so now I get free shots all the time and never have to wait for a drink it's awesome

looks like walking into a dunmer's house in ald ruhn lol..wealth beyond measure..

----------------

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

insane anime posted:

looks like walking into a dunmer's house in ald ruhn lol..wealth beyond measure..

lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Fortaleza posted:

Found myself doing this for woodworking stuff now, Witcher 3 is chock full of sick workshops everywhere and skellige's got a handful of full blown water-powered sawmills cranking out timbers.

There's a worker guy at Corvo Bianco that's going over a plank of wood with a smoothing plane but there's no workholding and the piece is crooked as poo poo with no proper stock prep and I hate how much it pisses me off lol

Bro Charsi spends all day cold forging a presumably heat treated and tempered blade. You don’t know the half of it.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Wormskull posted:

It’s about cooking but it’s somewhat crafting related so I’ll tell In Training’s story about the time he started grilling lmfao and he had it going out in the courtyard and when the smoke really started popping off he got embarrassed and went inside and watched from the window. Lmfqo

l;mfao

----------------

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

symbolic posted:

the only real craft stuff i do is cosplay for conventions starting last year-ish, so here's Angel Devil from Chainsaw Man

red bull. it gives you wings :D

----------------

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

borgnar posted:

last summer i smelted some iron by accident

one of the things about using a sandbox for a forge is the sand turns to glass everytime you run it. this ain't a big deal, you just have to pull the big half-melted chunks of glass out and dig the firepot back out and you're good to go. one thing you can do to prevent that from happening as much is mixing ash in with the sand, so i'll regularly stir the coal ash around with the sand to get it homogeneous. i was doing this one morning ahead of lighting up for the day and i hit something weird right underneath the air pipe. it was a lump of something that wasn't clinker, what in the hell is this, it's really heavy, this definitely isn't clinker. wait, why is it sticking a magnet? oh gently caress, i made iron!

after thinking about it a little, i figured out what happened. the sand i used to fill up the forge is black, which i didn't think anything of when i bought it. but that poo poo is black because there's a whole lot of iron oxide in it, and the conditions directly underneath the air supply were perfect for the iron oxide to reduce and then melt together into a pretty drat good iron bloom, very pure. so i spent a couple hours flattening it out and folding and welding it, and i got a little chunk of iron i made myself, by accident, out of sand

this summer i plan to build a full size bloomery furnace and make enough iron to really do something with

That is loving cool, dude.

----------------

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

My new next door neighbour quit his engineering job to make traditional Scottish skein dubh daggers and has a forge in the building basement. Whenever I go into the back court to take the dog or bins out and I see the latch on the gate I know that means the blacksmith is in the basement clanking away and I feel like I'm upstairs from Blacksmith Andre in Undead Parish

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

My new next door neighbour quit his engineering job to make traditional Scottish skein dubh daggers and has a forge in the building basement. Whenever I go into the back court to take the dog or bins out and I see the latch on the gate I know that means the blacksmith is in the basement clanking away and I feel like I'm upstairs from Blacksmith Andre in Undead Parish

Badass…

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

jelly

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Based.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

*Clink*
Hell
*Clink*
Yeah
"Clink*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In contrast his wife is HR for the police and I am fascinated as to how one household contains both the coolest and lamest jobs possible