Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

American McGee's crowdfunded sequel to Alice was rejected by EA and he's so sad about it that he's retiring from games forever lmfao

https://www.patreon.com/posts/end-of-adventure-81049672

End of the Adventure

Dear Insane Children,

Over the past few years, your support has made possible a constant stream of creative output by a team of artists, writers, designers, modelers, and producers. That output resulted in the "Alice: Asylum" Design Bible - a 414pg PDF containing the complete vision for a 3rd Chapter in Alice's video game adventures.

Shortly after the completion of the Design Bible, I resumed talks with Electronic Arts regarding our efforts to get a new game made. They were presented with the Design Bible and a Production Plan (produced in collaboration with Virtuos Games) outlining the schedule, budget, team, and design for the new game's production.

After several weeks of review, EA has come back with a response regarding funding and/or licensing for "Alice: Asylum"

On the question of funding, they have ultimately decided to pass on the project based on an internal analysis of the IP, market conditions, and details of the production proposal. On the question of licensing, they replied that "Alice" is an important part of EA’s overall game catalog, and selling or licensing it isn’t something they’re prepared to do right now.

At this point, we have exhausted every option for getting a new "Alice" game made. With those answers from EA, there is no other way forward with the project. As such, we will be hibernating this Patreon page and related pre-production activities. The content will remain in place but we'll no longer present options for funding "Alice: Asylum" efforts via this (or any other) platform.

"Alice: Asylum" is at an end.

As this announcement is certain to draw significant attention, I would like to focus some visibility on the amazing artists and designers who were funded through Patreon during this project:

Alex Crowley - Project Manager & Designer
Omri Koresh - Illustrator & Art Director
Norm Felchle - Illustrator
Joey Zeng - Illustrator
Adam Narozanski - Illustrator
Gareth Keenan - Illustrator

For my part, I have also reached an endpoint with "Alice" and with game production in general. I have no other ideas or energy left to apply toward getting a new Alice game made. Nor do I have any interest in pursuing new game ideas within the context of the current environment for game development.

This brings us full circle to the statement I made years ago which initiated EA reaching out to me to ask if I wanted to explore making a new Alice game...

I have no control over the Alice IP and no ability to make a new game happen. That control and ability rest entirely with EA.

If someone does manage to convince EA to make "Asylum," I would like to make clear that, from this point forward, I have no desire to be involved with that or any other Alice-related development.

My involvement with "Alice" is also at an end.

Going forward, I will focus on my family and our family business at Mysterious.

Lastly, I want to extend a bittersweet Thank You to our Insane Children (Patreon supporters). I know this is not the outcome we hoped for. And I feel a mix of emotions that leaves me sick at the idea of all the money, hope, ideas, and love you've poured into this effort over the years.

We knew going into this adventure that failure was a possibility. But we wanted to believe impossible things - and we had fun doing that up to the moment when reality forced itself into our Wonderland.

It's often said that when one door closes, another opens. Trite but true. And I hope that for all of you, this closure will bring life to other adventures and dreams.

-American McGee
April 8th, 2023
Queensland, Australia

the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

God bless him but opening up with Dear Insane Children is the most untimely loser thing I’ve ever seen.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

goodnight sweet prince

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Edit it’s worse than I thought. This guy’s a groomer of people who were weird and loved Foamy the Squirrel 20 years ago like him. gently caress you American McGee and gently caress your lovely doom levels.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

yeah he sucks man

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

thought this was about American McGay for a sec

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

i had to go back and retype and reread the thread title a couple times, i can only see McGay now

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Evil Eagle posted:

Same

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I was wondering which wrestler was EA and if he meant GA lol. Anyway, who? Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

American McGay’s Oldish

uncreativename
Jul 30, 2013

couldn't you just make a slightly different game that rips off alice in wonderland? idunno.

probably for the best he didn't though, he seems kinda creepy

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

Edit it’s worse than I thought. This guy’s a groomer of people who were weird and loved Foamy the Squirrel 20 years ago like him. gently caress you American McGee and gently caress your lovely doom levels.

excuse me? the inmost dens is one of the most pretty decentish maps in doom 2

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Evil Eagle posted:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

Yup. assumed it was going to be about how EA has banned betting on pony races or something.

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

he can't pull off my look very well

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Evil Eagle posted:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Arrhythmia posted:

Yup. assumed it was going to be about how EA has banned betting on pony races or something.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Ah man the community* isn't gonna be happy about this one

*discord full of couples with matching joker/harley quinn tattoos

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Plebian Parasite posted:

lol

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Plebian Parasite posted:

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

lmao

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

The Brides of Impo Will Remember This.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Evil Eagle posted:

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Plebian Parasite posted:

lol

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

That Little Demon posted:

Anyway, who? Lol

some weird theater kid who made maps for Doom 2 and probably Quake also

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Always think about Tim Rogers playing the Columbine shooters' Doom levels and then going "With all due respect: They're worse than American McGee's levels"

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

tmfc posted:

some weird theater kid who made maps for Doom 2 and probably Quake also

Doom 2 is truly dreadful so that explains things

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Roth posted:

Always think about Tim Rogers playing the Columbine shooters' Doom levels and then going "With all due respect: They're worse than American McGee's levels"

lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Roth posted:

lol

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I feel bad for American McGee because he seems like a nice enough guy who's had some pretty rotten luck in life iirc but he's just so deeply lame

tmfc posted:

Lastly, I want to extend a bittersweet Thank You to our Insane Children (Patreon supporters).
jesus christ.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

he's like if tim burton started out elderly

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Roth posted:

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Roth posted:

lol