Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Azhais posted:

AC/2s on tabletop are pretty anemic. The HBS game definitely made it seem cooler than it generally is

that's why you bring ten ultra-ac/2s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

And all those AC/2s still can't do what a pair of HGRs can, even if you crank the fire rate.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Alright so two of the three kids showed up, mechs they chose to start with.

Blackjack (BJ-1)
Enforcer (Standard version)
Griffin (C)
Locust or Wasp
Centurion CN9-A
Assassin ASN-21

They're dragging their feet on picking a company name, sigil, or making their pilots, I gave them til next session to do that. First mission they chose was a straight up battle against a pirate lance. Skull difficulty 1. They've got 100 Resource Points for their starting budget, and this mission can pay them forty. Forced withdrawal rules in effect. Every turn they have to pay salaries, mech maintenance, in addition to any structure repair.

Every session they're going to get a random roleplaying event. Just minor stuff like crewmembers fighting, bargains on a new planet, etc.. Serious answers only, what should the first roleplaying scenario be?

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 10, 2024

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Local official tries to shake them down for a bribe.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Shady scavengers try to offload their junk on the company (they'll scam the players into buying a bunch of malfunctioning small lasers, but if the group is savvy enough they could haggle for something actually useful)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Every session they're going to get a random roleplaying event. Just minor stuff like crewmembers fighting, bargains on a new planet, etc.. Serious answers only, what should the first roleplaying scenario be?

Star crossed romance:

One of the astechs has eloped with a local. They insist they not be separated and they be allowed to leave and live on the dropship; this is true love.

• "Fine, the more the merrier"
    + miniscule resource costs to maintain another passenger, potential future developments (civillian passenger, marital troubles, the family way).

• "If you were meant to have a spouse, we'd have put one in your tool cart."
    - Morale for the astech (expressed as + maintenance time or cost whatever is relevant to your system.) Potential future developments (disgruntled, further grievances could cause disloyalty).

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 10, 2024

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Pull from the events in the HBS game:

Two pilots get into it over heritage/nobility.
Someone finds questionable foodstuffs.
An offer for some Lostech seemingly too good to be true.
A close simpod match turns sour after two pilots arguing if the winning move is viable IRL comes to blows.

There's a ton of them that could be easily adapted.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

do the triple f burger one for sure.

I also like the "jinxed" one, implying in the bt universe there's literal animist magic to the gear and comstar is kind of right.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

I also like the "jinxed" one, implying in the bt universe there's literal animist magic to the gear and comstar is kind of right.

It's less that they're kind of right and more that the writers kinda like to keep that stuff ambiguous but then also have things like the Phantom Mech ability.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Amechwarrior posted:

Pull from the events in the HBS game:

Two pilots get into it over heritage/nobility.
Someone finds questionable foodstuffs.
An offer for some Lostech seemingly too good to be true.
A close simpod match turns sour after two pilots arguing if the winning move is viable IRL comes to blows.

There's a ton of them that could be easily adapted.

Definitely going to do that, just want more ideas so they don't get too stale. Thanks everybody for the ideas. That bribe one could be really cool, turn into an extra battle that session.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Bar fight in a local tavern:

- deescalate the situation (pay for damages)
- fight it out (chance of medbay time)

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
The classic back when I played table top in HS 100 years ago was finding a piece of Star League gear. Stress from how to decide which mech gets the cool toy, plus bonus sadness coming when it gets wrecked, which it always seems to.

Gimmick Poster
Aug 29, 2006
Don't look at your carpet; I drew something awful on it
Your technicians attend a continuing education session run by a university campus heavily infiltrated by ComStar agents. Now all the techs are trying to apply the principles of Blakist thought to their normal duties. Do you:

- spend c-bills and lose time and morale sending them to deprogrammers?
- carefully avoid the mech bay and just hope your mechs get refitted and repaired?
- convert all members of the company to Blakism in a mistranslated ritual involving a screwdriver and hydraulic fluid?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Junior Enlisted Never Change:

One of the ground security forces troops has purchased a Durandel-British "Blue Nova" Convertible at 25% APR from an unscrupulous dealership near the base. Now nearly his whole salary goes to the car note and he's bumming personal loans off the other staff. You're not even sure what his plan is with the thing when this contract ends and you're skids up offworld (assuming, charitably, it doesn't get repoed); surely he doesn't think he's loading it onto the Leopard?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Gimmick Poster posted:

Your technicians attend a continuing education session run by a university campus heavily infiltrated by ComStar agents. Now all the techs are trying to apply the principles of Blakist thought to their normal duties. Do you:

- spend c-bills and lose time and morale sending them to deprogrammers?
- carefully avoid the mech bay and just hope your mechs get refitted and repaired?
- convert all members of the company to Blakism in a mistranslated ritual involving a screwdriver and hydraulic fluid?

Sadly this campaign will take place in 3145 as the kids wanted to use ALL of their 'mechs potentially, including Clan stuff, so Comstar is dead. Maybe I can have a neo-Blakist show up screaming about toasters though.

I do plan on using special high-tech weapons that they can find or buy to give them +damage, since we're playing AS.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A nest of adorable space raccoons has been found in the left hand actuator of the Centurion. How did they get there? Who knows. They are trainable but intensely mischievous.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

A lost centuries regressed tribal band witnessed a mech engagement and decided that your mechs are gods and build cargo cult wood mechs of their own.

they are harmless but overbearing in their praise and prayer to the brain men who live in the heads of the steel gods

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

A lost centuries regressed tribal band witnessed a mech engagement and decided that your mechs are gods and build cargo cult wood mechs of their own.

they are harmless but overbearing in their praise and prayer to the brain men who live in the heads of the steel gods

*cue Smugworth sweating like a pig in his underwear in a Mad Cat* "Yes I am one of the brain men"

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I would be a powerful yet benevolent god to them

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Irl lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lmao

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Owlbear Camus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QgOwuVdVJU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

good stuff

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Your client's rival offers you a deal to backstab them.

Either it pays out or the angry client hires another mercenary company to come after you.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

A client offers an off-the-books contract to act as a Red Force to test unit readiness of one of their planetary garrisons in an exercise. Hiring you through Merc Net could tip off the defending forces and this is a "surprise inspection" to probe defenses and look for weaknesses.

Once you start taking live fire it's clear your contact wasn't actually representing the client, but one of their rivals.

E: I guess this is more a mid-mission twist than a simple roleplay interlude.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 11, 2024

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Owlbear Camus posted:

That kind of thing isn't necessarily magic, it's just genre conventions, that this character is the one who suffers the slapstick gags and gets the O'Brien plots. But there's a problem with a lot of players assuming that TRPG rules are a physics engine simulating the setting rather than, y'know, the rules of a game.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:five::five::five:

holy poo poo

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This took a few moments

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Just want to say that even my girlfriend loves this one.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

BT universe canonically has magic because of Morgan Kell and that one Kuritan who can bushido their mechs into being straight up untargetable.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That kind of thing isn't necessarily magic, it's just genre conventions, that this character is the one who suffers the slapstick gags and gets the O'Brien plots. But there's a problem with a lot of players assuming that TRPG rules are a physics engine simulating the setting rather than, y'know, the rules of a game.

The game event has multiple professionals observe in universe the character loving up electronics and mechanical devices by proximity, and quarantining them puts a stop to it. I think the RNG can even serve that one up more than once making the results repeatable.

Amusingly there's not even a "grow up there's no such thing as jynxes (ignore it) option.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

GD_American posted:

Depending on how hard science you want to go, oceans may have different chemical compositions and may not even be made of water. Even our oceans are basically a corrosive battery that's constantly trying to destroy what we build.

You could certainly build in amphibious assaults as a specialty, by running all or most of your vehicles as hover.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Kraken_Unleashed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Assuming humans tend to settle on worlds with Earth-like climates, possibly even terraforming them to spec, it actually would make sense that most of those would have seas and oceans similar to Earth's.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

It's nearly all earthlike or at least earth adjacent. I can think of one planet that was hostile enough that the residents had to live in domes, but that's it.

The reason I think conventional navy is silly is because of aerospace fighters. Real world navies have diminished in importance except for their ability to project air power. There's no need for them when you can launch fighters from orbit and the fighters don't need fuel.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

And the dome planet, which iirc had an acidic atmosphere, is no longer habitable because some jerk smashed the domes.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It's nearly all earthlike or at least earth adjacent. I can think of one planet that was hostile enough that the residents had to live in domes, but that's it.

The reason I think conventional navy is silly is because of aerospace fighters. Real world navies have diminished in importance except for their ability to project air power. There's no need for them when you can launch fighters from orbit and the fighters don't need fuel.

In their defense, the one blue water carrier that we have stats for carries 140 planes, even a Thera can't match that capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

MRC48B posted:

And the dome planet, which iirc had an acidic atmosphere, is no longer habitable because some jerk smashed the domes.

Seems like a particularly obvious weakness of a dome planet. I would simply colonize an already habitable planet, but I'm built different.