Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

What the gently caress is a touhou

Touhou Project is a Japanese series of indie bullet hell shooter videogames made over the last three decades or so developed by beer golem musician/programmer ZUN, plus a number of officially licensed spinoff games, music CDs, artbooks and comic books. They are most known for their difficult gameplay, character designs and music. The series has a freakishly outsized fan community with more fanworks (music arrangements, comic books, video games, and more) than you can count, including multiple conventions dedicated exclusively to the franchise (the largest, Hakurei Jinja Reitaisai, attracts high tens of thousands of visitors every year). Fortunately, you don't need to know any of this to play the game. The flavor is drawn directly from the setting of the games, but no foreknowledge is required or expected.

General Information

This is a role heavy Mafia game for 17 players. There are several power roles, but there are also vanilla and/or vanilla-adjacent roles. There are no jesters, involuntary alignment changes, misleading role PMs, falsified flips or other similar mechanics involved.

Days will generally be approximately 48 hours long and nights 24 hours. Nights may end early if all actions are submitted; in that case leftover time will go into the day phase. The deadline will be approximately 10 pm UTC (5 pm EST), even if the day starts or ends early.

Eliminations will be by majority vote with hammer once majority is reached. No-elimination days are possible.

Shellception helped with improving the initial draft and proofreading. Thanks!

Rules and Regulations

Standard rules apply.
  • Discord is required to play. > DISCORD SERVER IS HERE <
  • Do not edit posts.
  • Do not post while dead, at night, or between hammer and flip.
  • Do not quote or copy-paste out-of-thread information like moderator messages or private chats. Paraphrasing the contents of such messages is okay.
  • Do not discuss the game with anyone outside of authorized channels.
  • Do not fake day actions. If you perform or are targeted by a day action, do not post until it is resolved.
  • Do not lurk. Less than 10 posts per game day will result in a warning, repeat lurking to more serious consequences. This minimum is reduced to 5 posts if the day ends more than 12 hours before deadline and removed entirely if the day ends more than 24 hours before deadline.
  • Night action results will generally be along the lines "Your action was successful", "Your action failed", and/or "Your target did X." Don't read too much into night action flavor and be aware that an action resolving successfully does not necessarily mean it resolved the way you intended!
  • In general, do not expect to be able to solve the game through flavor. Trying to is probably a mistake. I don't expect anyone to be familiar with the source material and non-town factions may have been provided with elaborate fakeclaims.
  • Most importantly, have fun and treat fellow players as human beings.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, always remember that your mental well-being is more important than a forum game. While antagonism and deceit are inherent features of social deduction games, there are lines that should not be crossed that may be highly personal. If you feel stressed out, abused, angry, or in any other way discomforted beyond what you feel is part of the game, do not hesitate to reach out and say so. Nobody will think ill of you if you have comments or concerns, or want to leave the game at any point, before the game or during the game. The following users have been suggested as points of contact if you do not feel you can reach out to me: The Traditional Games forum moderators, Leperflesh and Antivehicular; and Mafia regulars VoodooFly, Hal Insandenza, Bifauxnen, Monathin, Wologar, Maerlyn, EccoRaven, CCKeane, Opopanax, Sandwolf and Shellception.

Players
  1. b-minus1
  2. CapitalistPig (He/Him)
  3. Cloacamazing! (she/her)
  4. CubicalSucrose
  5. fool of sound
  6. Green Wing (She/Her)
  7. Illusionis
  8. Maugrim (He/him)
  9. MockingQuantum (He/him)
  10. Mr. Humalong (w/e)
  11. PlasticAutomaton (He/Him/Whatever)
  12. saladscooper (he/him)
  13. Sandwolf (He/Him)
  14. shwinnebego (he/him)
  15. Tired Moritz
  16. Toalpaz (She/Her & They/Them)
  17. Yami Fenrir

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I am contractually obligated to join the Touhou game.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Obs ghost, checking in

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I will play this game.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

CapitalistPig posted:

I will play this game.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'll join, why not?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i, too, am weeb

e: and if im not in the master mafia database or whatever, i use he/him pronouns

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

i'm ready to be an anime townie

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

touhou means "eastern" or "eastward," you may thank my rudimentary and scattershot Japanese self-education for this fun fact

do I need to know literally anything about touhou in order to play?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

MockingQuantum posted:

do I need to know literally anything about touhou in order to play?

As the OP indicates, you don't need to know anything at all. It is only flavor. Consider yourself signed up.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
I think I will play

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

As the OP indicates, you don't need to know anything at all. It is only flavor. Consider yourself signed up.

wait, people read the OPs?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

MockingQuantum posted:

wait, people read the OPs?

No, I just randomly walked in here, hoping that posting here would not get me pressganged into a murder game based on a video game series I have barely heard of. For some reason this keeps happening to me.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Cloacamazing! posted:

No, I just randomly walked in here, hoping that posting here would not get me pressganged into a murder game based on a video game series I have barely heard of. For some reason this keeps happening to me.

fortune just smiles on some of us more often than others, it seems

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

I will steal the precious tblhing, OK that concludes my toulouse knowledge

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
This seems like a game I wish to join

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011
Okay I'll be an anime

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I like weeb content yeah

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I would like to play. I don't watch anime.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Fine...

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I'm going to catch em all, touhou Mon.

I hope I get like, the maid one or... The drunk

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
I am getting tired of hearing about Touhou mafia. I think I'm #17?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

CubicalSucrose posted:

I am getting tired of hearing about Touhou mafia. I think I'm #17?

Maf edit Toal beat me, I can stay unobs I suppose.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Nope, you're #17, Sucrose. Everyone get in Discord and I'll start handing out roles within the hour.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i, too, am weeb

e: and if im not in the master mafia database or whatever, i use he/him pronouns

You still need to join Discord.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 2, 2023

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

We're going to start the game now and wait for the last player to show up rather than just sit and do nothing. If that takes too long, we'll deal with it then.

This is Gensokyo, a land hidden from modernity by the Great Hakurei Barrier, safekeeping the youkai and many other mythological beings of Japan within from the dwindling belief of the outer world while safekeeping the outer world from the influence of youkai. For a long time, humanity within Gensokyo lived in fear of man-eating youkai, until rules were laid down to guarantee their safety; now, a small number of humans live in relative peace surrounded by a vast majority of youkai, of varying intent and attitude. The Hakurei shrine maiden safeguards the great barrier, keeping the peace whenever an incident occurs, alongside her human companions. It appears one such incident is suddenly on the horizon...

A new day dawns, mist filling every corner of the land. From within the mists come the sound of carousing, of festive music and drumbeats, laughing and cheering as if a great festival was being held just outside the borders of perception. Some, drawn to the sound of festivities, have wandered into the mists only to disappear forever, and those who remain find it increasingly difficult to tell friend from foe. Surely, this is an incident, and incidents must be resolved for the peace of Gensokyo.

Shellception a.k.a. ???, OBS-Aligned Human? has wandered off into the mists never to be seen again Night 0!

quote:

You have profound power over the nature of reality, influencing the course of history through your mere words. How that will manifest itself in the long run remains yet unclear. For now, all it means is that whatever may come, your influence will surely be felt, and you will be watching.

It is now Day 1. The deadline is about 60 hours from now.

Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (17): b-minus1, CapitalistPig, Cloacamazing!, CubicalSucrose, fool of sound, Green Wing, Illusionis, Maugrim, MockingQuantum, Mr. Humalong, OMGVBFLOL, PlasticAutomaton, saladscooper, shwinnebego, Tired Moritz, Toalpaz, Yami Fenrir

With 17 alive, it's 9 votes to execute. The current deadline is May 04th, 2023 at 9 p.m. UTC -- that's in about 2 days, 14 hours.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 2, 2023

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Hello Touhous. Or maybe Threehous? I dislike D1s and don't trust my ability to scumhunt effectively with limited information. There don't seem to be any mechanics that can lead to me differentiating town-favorable play from anything else. So I'll have to make something up.

I'll do this based on flavor. I know only one Touhou (I think). Thus, today, I will only vote people who mention that Touhou or quote someone who mentioned it. I will not reveal this Touhou before the end of D1, but did say it in my confessional if after the game you want to see if I was lying.

I intend to refrain from voting for a while in order to keep my options open a bit. And since a no-execute is anti-town, I will feel free to hammer anyone even if they didn't mention the one Touhou I am aware of.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Also, question for the group - If you were scum, who would you want to NK?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
That seems like an unfair advantage for people who don't know anything about Touhou.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

CubicalSucrose posted:

Also, question for the group - If you were scum, who would you want to NK?

Not binus, because he dies too often N1 and that's rude. In fact, any scum who N1 kills binus will face my wrath.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Cloacamazing! posted:

That seems like an unfair advantage for people who don't know anything about Touhou.

That's D1!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I would NK lurkers, duh

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I did not get one of my favorite Toohoos, sadly.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Youkai? Why yes I'm fine actually thanks for asking :v:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Green Wing posted:

Youkai? Why yes I'm fine actually thanks for asking :v:

##vote Green Wing

Morning

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Someone's grumpy in the morning.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Exactly!

Embrace the shitpost!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Cloacamazing! posted:

Someone's grumpy in the morning.

It's the start of the work week, ofc I'm grumpy

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

I'm feeling good and am actually in good health and engaged for once, which means I'm likely to go out early in this one.

Should I play the Touhous? Are they good? Which ones are good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I'm getting too old for bullet hell type stuff :(