Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Seeing some other posters in the SBF made me wonder how you all tend go sort your books in your bookcases.

Some of my family like to organise theirs by colour or size, however from my perspective, that's a dark path I'm unable to go down.
Personally, I exclusively sort by author, then arrange each of the authors' books in chronological order. Even if this means having a zigzag of book sizes, which my family hates seeing whenever they visit :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I don't. I stuff them on the shelves and have stacks sitting around on the floor

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Right now, in a box. Before, with the spines toward the wall and the pages pointed out.
Eff everybody. I ain't letting anybody know what I have.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I don't. I stuff them on the shelves and have stacks sitting around on the floor

This!! We have a nice bookcase with some first editions and hardback copies of our faves but otherwise my IKEA bookcase didn't survive the last house move and the books on it are load bearing at this point

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Size and then author name. Some level of height consistency is necessary for me unfortunately

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

We have a handful of books we keep in the living room for aesthetic purposes, largely based on color of the cover. The other books we organize roughly by genre.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
right now my physical book collection is small enough that my primary sorting is by genre - I have a shelf for general fiction, a shelf for CS nonfiction/reference, a shelf for old textbooks, a shelf for general nonfiction that doesn't fit into other categories, and then a few shelves for comic trades. the comics are the only ones that get sorted more in-depth than that - they get sorted by series/publisher

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I have loose, ad hoc groups by topic and try to keep very closely related works or works by the same author together, with fiction and non-fiction on separate shelves. Easy enough to find things, I guess.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

that's not true actually, recipe books go in the kitchen

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
...organize?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Really though in general I order my books using a few different criteria, in order from least to most important: size, topic, author, vibes. I keep all of my trade paperbacks together regardless of topic. I have a shelf of Buddhist and yoga books that's sort of a general Eastern spirituality shelf. Everything else is just sort of wherever.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I divide them by fiction or nonfiction, and generally sort them alphabetical by last name. if there's a massive book in the letter range on a given shelf however, I'll shove it all the way to the left for practicality's sake.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I totally organize by size because I have a very nice bookcase, and it'd look all weird if the thing looked like a roller coaster.
I'd love to organize by genre/author, but it looks terrible. I tried it. No go :(

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
My books are double shelved at this point. The ones in the back are more or less sorted by genre and subject matter, and the ones in the front are piled mostly according to size until room opens up for them at the back.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Aspirationally: sorted primarily by fiction/non-fiction/chess, with books by the same author kept together

In practice: in a number of piles around the house based on when I last used that book

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

By binding. Mass market paperbacks together, same with trade paperbacks, same with hardcovers. Tall and heavy things live on bottom shelves as stabilizers.

Mostly theory though. In this place, books live anywhere they drat well please.

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

I have weird shelves where the top and bottom aren't parallel, so that informs a lot of how things get put on the shelf. Honestly even if all my shelves were normal I wouldn't sort my books. The only collection of phizical media I've bothered sorting is my records.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

There's the reference bookshelf, for language books and books in foreign languages, music books, crafting, electronics and programming books, etc. Then the graphic novel shelves, a bookshelf of dumb nostalgic stuff like gifted and borrowed books and yearbooks. Then there's the fiction shelf, and a smaller shelf with our record player, LPs, and poppier paperback fare that people like to borrow. Then there's a shelf of random favorites that are arranged by color in a nice pleasant rainbow. RPG sourcebooks go on two more shelves in the basement game lounge, art reference books go on the bookshelf in the studio.

...and then there's everything else everywhere (from where I'm sitting, I can see seven art books, six RPG source books (nine if you count Kill Team rulebooks), six music books, several language books, some Calvin and Hobbes, and Absolute Final Crisis. I need to clean so bad.).

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

By genre, authors grouped together. Same for non-fiction, graphic novels. reference books etc.

I can never remember where I pulled a book from so when I put it back I just mash it in where there is space. So in practice, chaos. The books eventually get sorted every time we run out of space, seems to happen every two years or so.

Exception being the cookbook shelf since it gets the most use.

E: not books but years ago I worked at a dvd rental store and spent a quiet afternoon sorting the new releases by surname of the Key Grip.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 20, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
In my cabinet. Big to small

Whatever library book I'm reading stays on my bed

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Books I like on the top shelf. Books I didn't like on the bottom shelves.

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

in theory: alphabetical by author, alphabetical by title. currently in boxes and piles because my bookcases are not set up.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

I have loose, ad hoc groups by topic and try to keep very closely related works or works by the same author together, with fiction and non-fiction on separate shelves. Easy enough to find things, I guess.

I do this, though size and binding are also factors

I also have shelves for particular authors or imprints if I have enough to justify the space

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
I've got a bunch of mismatched, slowly collapsing bookshelves with sections for:
-Trashy easy reading
-SF and fantasy
-~Literary~ fiction
-Poetry
-General non-fiction
-Illustrated stuff from the Atlantino Storico to Calvin and Hobbes, definitely not cos they're all awkward shapes and sizes
-Job related technical poo poo
-Hobby related technical poo poo
-Stuff I won't read again, to take to charity

Each organised by era/subtype or author surname and constantly degenerating into

stuff them on the shelves and have stacks sitting around on the floor

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i put them in big stacks on the floor with the intent to sort them into some kind of intelligible order "at a date to be determined later."

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

uber_stoat posted:

i put them in big stacks on the floor with the intent to sort them into some kind of intelligible order "at a date to be determined later."

What's ur av from

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

verbal enema posted:

What's ur av from

https://www.classicshorts.com/stories/vashtar.html

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

thaanks d00d

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Fruits of the sea posted:

E: not books but years ago I worked at a dvd rental store and spent a quiet afternoon sorting the new releases by surname of the Key Grip.

:stwoon:

Seriously, alternative indexing and taxonomies that cause you to look at a data set in a different way are totally my jam.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I wish it weren't this. But it's this.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
drat, with all the people simply having unsorted piles of books, we really need a goonproject for everyone to overhaul their sorting methods! :v:
Ah well - it's much better to have many unsorted books, than no books at all!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Fruits of the sea posted:

By genre, authors grouped together. Same for non-fiction, graphic novels. reference books etc.

I do this, with some care to make it look nice in terms of size (so authors won't be in alphabetical order)

Organised bookshelves make me feel really happy and comfortable with my living space, and I wish I had a bigger place to have more bookshelves in more rooms for more good vibes.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I brought my Drake posted:

:stwoon:

Seriously, alternative indexing and taxonomies that cause you to look at a data set in a different way are totally my jam.

It was weirdly satisfying. I have a family member who works as a production team lead and there's so much to that job that I think they deserve some recognition. Unfortunately most credits tend to list them all as "production assistant" for that to be a viable way of indexing. It's way more than an assistant when they are responsible for procuring animals, booking accommodation and transportation etc.

Thinking back, sorting films by length in each genre would have actually been useful.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 28, 2023

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Post pics of your shelves if you have them

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Major Isoor posted:

drat, with all the people simply having unsorted piles of books, we really need a goonproject for everyone to overhaul their sorting methods! :v:

Nah. I remember an essay by Lin Yutang about why libraries shouldn't be organized: "Organizing a library is a science, but disorganizing it is an art." You look for a volume high and low and left and right, find half a dozen other books you also want to read while you're searching, and when you find the book you've genuinely found it, as opposed to merely locating it, or you wonder if you lent it to someone or got rid of it. Your library should be like a great city that always has a street you've never been down before and you never know what you'll find there.

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

rollick posted:

Post pics of your shelves if you have them

are we going to do the classic goon "clean your house" bit or can we just post shelves? because mine are dusty AF as the youths say

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Hobologist posted:

Nah. I remember an essay by Lin Yutang about why libraries shouldn't be organized: "Organizing a library is a science, but disorganizing it is an art." You look for a volume high and low and left and right, find half a dozen other books you also want to read while you're searching, and when you find the book you've genuinely found it, as opposed to merely locating it, or you wonder if you lent it to someone or got rid of it. Your library should be like a great city that always has a street you've never been down before and you never know what you'll find there.

I've got a job dude.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hobologist posted:

wonder if you lent it to someone or got rid of it

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
i've got poetry shelves alphabetically arranged by author and the rest is a big sign saying Good Luck. My spouse sorts by rough chronology, and all of my prose and NF is just kind of arranged roughly by theme and how much i want to remember they exist