Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Strong ending to a show I thought was a bit weak. Really liked some of the scenes towards the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Great finale, what a show. I wish some of the details about how Mrs. Davis worked/was designed had been dropped earlier in the series, but all presented there in one hour made for a really compelling episode. Doubly so when it became clear that it was all tied in to the show's central thesis about faith and religion.

I've got a feeling that this show is, ironically, something a modern media outlet would only make when they're dropping coin blindly to hopefully establish themselves...before algorithmic data tells them "Nobody is watching this weird poo poo."

I knew in the cold open that Joy was presenting her idea for an altruistic app to a company that would turn out to be a gag. And Buffalo Wild Wings walks away with the best product placement in recent memory.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Good ending to an absolutely bizarre show.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I feel like the religious stuff didn't really pay out because it didn't really have a firm theology.

There's an interesting thread early in the show about god hating magicians but it gets dropped pretty hard.

Felt like the show was Lindelof does mums instead of dads and I'm well beyond sick and tired of the Abrams/Lindelof parental narrative complex.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanasia_Coaster

I like how the perfect execution method is just some nonsense that the algorithm presumably scraped from Wikipedia.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Show has a bunch of tropes I kinda hate, but it couches them between genuinely clever reveals that I dig. Accomplishes a satire and tone that so so so so many thriller shows strive for but fall short of. Love it.

The general premise of comparing a possible AI to religion in terms of giving someone fulfilment via quests and purpose was nice, and I appreciate that they don't just flat out state that's the thesis. Also love that they dig into tropes, but actually pay it off with better explanations down the road.

Also helps that they have some really great imagery. The Excalibur competition was goofy as hell, but really worked. As did the sneakers. Absurdity for absurdities sake is bad, but the show really nails being absurd with *just* enough realism that you can go "oh, yeah, that actually tracks".

The way the show treats and presents her relationship with Jesus is brilliant. The opening being a sneaker commercial + the explanation for why it was made, brilliant. Mrs.Davis being a failed Buffalo Wild Wings campaign that found wings via Open Source? Brilliant. Her father's fate? Perfect.

Only weird bit imo was not seeing more fallout from "killing the actual real jesus". That's done in parallel to her killing Mrs.Davis, so I guess it's a moral that we shouldn't need these external forces to find validation through servitude... but I'd have been curious to see what effects that has on this universe where he was a tactical spiritual guru for presumably thousands. Love that they show car accidents and people legit worried about Davis being gone - didn't gloss over too strongly that her actions create wayward souls. Just would have liked to see the fallout on the religious side too.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 24, 2023

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/peacock/status/1659243084624822288

This is the most intricate product placement ever.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I am dying at the reveal in the finale that the app was originally designed as an ARG for Buffalo Wild Wings

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Eh, it seemed extremely benign. Eliminating hunger, war, want, the climate emergency and apathy? Sign me up.

We are clearly not capable of fixing these problems even if they are entirely fixable. Religion already exists and does nothing to help, it probably makes the problems worse.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I think I would be a user. Some weird knock-on effects, but society seemed to be massively improved by Mrs. Davis.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Collateral posted:

Eh, it seemed extremely benign. Eliminating hunger, war, want, the climate emergency and apathy? Sign me up.

We are clearly not capable of fixing these problems even if they are entirely fixable. Religion already exists and does nothing to help, it probably makes the problems worse.

They imply several times that the stuff about eliminating hunger, war, want, etc. is bullshit and that the app is just telling people what they want to hear. Chris Diamantopoulos flat out says it is a lie, and Simone in the finale tells the app that saying stuff like that is bad because hunger, war, etc. will always exist.

Unfortunately, we don't see much of the world, so it is hard to say how much good the app really did. I wish they had shown more about what life is like in algorithm-controlled society.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Yes, we even heard from Mrs. Davis herself* that Users typically don't respond to the truth, so she instead tells them what they want to hear to achieve satisfaction. There were altruistic effects, sure, but you know it also played into nefarious purposes that we didn't see. ALMOST LIKE SOMETHING ELSE I COULD NAME

*(Via the proxy in the restaurant, who had a little "Wait...that sucks!" moment after relaying the info.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Now that I have watched the whole seasons, what was the deal with the field full of pianos?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

smackfu posted:

Now that I have watched the whole seasons, what was the deal with the field full of pianos?

Exactly what it seemed, just an ostentatious and silly way to help that dude check for the right piano.

Could the AI have achieved that with some other method? Sure. But it was dumb.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Since having our second kid almost a year ago I just haven't found the time or time and will to watch anything new. I do consume a lot on youtube and kept up with some movie stuff but absolutely no TV shows -- once I finally watched the first episode of this three days ago I had to binge as much as I could and just finished the finale.

Whatever the Lindelof vibe is, even if it's completely in my head, is something I just always want taking over my body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
just finished, what a magnificently ridiculous show