Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I just don't see myself ever changing my MC around again as long as I have to manually re-equip everything. It gets especially tedious when you have a very specific set of relics for each path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the best use for physical trailblazer is to turn extra technique points into bonus between-fight healing in SU. (let's be real, you're not using the extra party members you get to download for anything else).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Walla posted:

I'm just not good with pure support characters. I only really use Natasha if I don't take March or Fireblazer, and March only really gets a pass because of follow up attacks. I'll level up Tingyun and give her a second look.

The main purpose of Tingyun is to make another character way stronger without using many skill points. Having too many powerhouses on the same team means they step on each other's toes by trying to hog all the skill points for themselves, so someone who adds value without doing that is very good.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 4, 2023

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Walla posted:

I'm just not good with pure support characters. I only really use Natasha if I don't take March or Fireblazer, and March only really gets a pass because of follow up attacks. I'll level up Tingyun and give her a second look.

I should prioritize Sushang. I have her at e2 already when most of my team aren't even at e1.

I regularly switch Trailblazer around depending on the situation. Party wide shields are great but they're pretty weak right now, even with the proper relic set.

I mean if you want to actually progress in the harder content the best advice is to invest in one team first. Proper basic team should be dps (hunt or Jing yuan), healer, and two of any other type. Max those out and then move onto a second team, probably starting with someone you can sub into your main team to be flexible for different circumstances (ie if you have Tingyun and M7 maybe try a nihility that's not lightning/ice).

Spreading all your resources around to the full cast will make things tougher for you in the long run.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
unlike other support characters, due to her leeching some atk power from her buffed target, she actually does respectable basic atk damage compared to other 'pure support' characters

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

I just don't see myself ever changing my MC around again as long as I have to manually re-equip everything. It gets especially tedious when you have a very specific set of relics for each path.

I can't believe they don't have a way to save your LC and relic set for your MC. There should be a way to do that with every character but it's just heinous with MC.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Saving builds would be handy but you also shouldn't really need to be swapping your MC around that often either. Because of how investment already is it's a huge waste to build up your MC with two builds at this point when you can just do destruction + Gepard or preservation + any other character.

MC is there to fill in a gap in your roster as a freebie, which should already have 3 solid f2p characters as a base (Dan, M7, Nat). I doubt it's coincidence that the fire version meshes well with those three (or even Asta instead of M7).

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Neat. It feels weird being perpetually at like 20% health in the boss fight. I didn't have the blessing that revives either, so it was a bit concerning at times. I really really need to farm some not-poo poo relics but :effort:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Jabor posted:

the best use for physical trailblazer is to turn extra technique points into bonus between-fight healing in SU. (let's be real, you're not using the extra party members you get to download for anything else).

I use the additional characters a bit. I tend to run a very DPS heavy/support light party for the majority of SU and then swap in a safer party for final bosses I'm underleveled for.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I feel like these current Memories of Chaos stages really make Tingyun suck because the Hunt character gets way too many actions.

Edit: Or maybe the problem is Sushang.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 4, 2023

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
dan heng is indeed boring. excited for blade who is boring in a cooler way

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

I feel like these current Memories of Chaos stages really make Tingyun suck because the Hunt character gets way too many actions.

Mathematically, I don't think it's as much of a problem as it seems like. It doesn't play to her niche very well, because it doesn't let her weave in as many basic attacks, but you do get roughly the same value out of each cast of her skill either way. If anything, being able to consume it more quickly and usefully recast it more often is arguably an upside, if you can afford the SP.

And if you can't, and she ends up having to basic attack without a buff out when she otherwise wouldn't, the only actual inefficiency is that you lose the damage bonus from her talent.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Clarste posted:

Tingyun worked well for me with Seele and her countless resets in moc but they are accompanied by a healer and fmc who usually just spam normal attacks forever.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Seele's resets don't actually advance buff timers, because they're considered Extra Turns. Which function somewhat like ults in that regard. By contrast, Sushang advances her next turn whenever she uses an ult, which combined with the stage gimmick also advancing her turn means she can easily get three real actions before Tingyun gets a second, using up the entire buff and destroying my SP economy even with everyone else spamming normals.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Clarste posted:

Seele's resets don't actually advance buff timers, because they're considered Extra Turns.

Yeah and this really fucks G mans shield too lol

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Fire Trailblazer's shields will always be weak no matter how you gear them. They are handy for blocking chip damage, and combined with their skill's party-wide defense buff they do some work. But the best way to equip them, imo, is to get Texture of Memories from Simulated Universe, which makes them specifically super-tanky. So they eat taunted attacks for lunch, and limit damage to the rest of the team to AOE stuff, which the tiny shields are often enough to negate.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
When should you farm relics? On one hand the majority of my team has subpar relics that I have not bothered to level past 6 and it would probably be the most direct improvement in stats, but on the other hand I can spend days farming with nothing to show for it, while at least leveling characters and upgrading traces is constant progress. I am thinking once my B team is at max level and traced up to at least requiring the purple upgrade items. Also, do the relic events trend toward the first item listed, or is that just bad luck? Spent a few days trying for lightning or the wild wheat set and ended up with almost nothing but the defense (including an almost perfect DPS chest) or healing sets. Literally at least 5:1 when it comes to 5*s for the first set in the picture. I guess if you ignore set bonuses it does not matter too much, but it feels bad to not go for the sets.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 4, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Upgrading the relics of your main dps is probably far more important than leveling your B team, even for the parts where you need multiple parties. Because, well, if you kill one side twice as fast you have that much more time for your other side anyway. Farming relics is definitely frustrating, but it probably helps if you think of it as farming relic experience with a small chance of getting a bonus that's actually wearable. Even just getting a purple set to +12 is a massive power boost.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 4, 2023

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

imo, while getting "good enough" relics (right main stat, one or more good substat) and leveling them is absolutely worth it, grinding away for perfect relics is whale bait

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

TBH at this point I would just settle for having the right main stat, lol.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Just speculation based on discussion here and reading on prydwen/reddit:

Get a purple/orange with the right mainstat for your two MoC teams (8 characters) and then stop. Don't worry about completing sets unless you need it to hit a breakpoint.

Keep in mind that swapping around light cones and relics is free, so you can reduce the total number of relics you NEED on-hand to enough for 4-8 people. Boots with SPD or ATK, or ropes with ATK or energy regen, are used by a big chunk of the roster and can be moved around based on when you need them.

Spend your energy getting your first team leveled and traced, then your B team. I think that's when I'll start really farming relics, though there might be a ninth+ character I'll want to build first to cover an important niche or something

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Fireblazer shields aren't much to look at, but I think at equivalent investment the total shield you get for the party is about 2/3 of what March gives a single player, which isn't so bad considering you get it every turn without having to spend a skill point on it

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Excelzior posted:

imo, while getting "good enough" relics (right main stat, one or more good substat) and leveling them is absolutely worth it, grinding away for perfect relics is whale bait

That is what I have been trying to do, and after 3-4 days of grinding lightning set for my JY, I literally have 2 barely usable pieces: A 5* ring with speed and crit rate substats that both never got hit by an upgrade boost, and 5* boots with a speed primary and crit damage, that also did not get hit by any substat boosts.

None of lightning here have DPS primaries except the 4* on Serval which has ATK%, but no DPS substats. Of course about half of the def set have crit rate or damage as the primary. Pretty much every gear slot is similarly skewed toward the def set.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Grinding traces and levels gives consistent, predictable gains. Grinding relics can leave you with nothing but relic XP for a long time. Save that for the end imo.

That "skewing" is almost certainly just RNG. A lot of gachas have identical gear farms and its insanely frustrating. Fortunately there isn't much content right now that demands getting perfect relics

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
Also put leveled headpieces on all your supports because the amount of unavoidable aoe in MoC gets really silly

https://i.imgur.com/aZf8s3u.mp4

I hate these enemies so much...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AParadox posted:

Also put leveled headpieces on all your supports because the amount of unavoidable aoe in MoC gets really silly

https://i.imgur.com/aZf8s3u.mp4

I hate these enemies so much...

I thought the tank was supposed to go in the 1st spot on the left?

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
It doesn't really mater as long as they are in a corner afaik.

Edit: that situation is actually avoidable with this team if I use dance x 3 on ting but the point still stands.

AParadox fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 4, 2023

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I think I've decided to skip Silver Wolf and go for Luocha so I can have a second healer for Memory of Chaos, but we'll see whether my willpower holds up. Odds are mid.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

AParadox posted:

It doesn't really mater as long as they are in a corner afaik.

It very slightly matters for March 7th because one of her Eidolons gives a free shield at the start of the fight, and if everyone is at full HP that shield will always go to the leftmost target.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
Does that count as her skill shield with the extra agro or its just a normal hp shield?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AParadox posted:

Does that count as her skill shield with the extra agro or its just a normal hp shield?

It doesn’t say but I’ll assume it’s a normal shield?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I've taken to placing the healer in the leftmost slot because otherwise I have to move her every time I want to use a support character, and that gets annoying.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

I've taken to placing the healer in the leftmost slot because otherwise I have to move her every time I want to use a support character, and that gets annoying.
I usually order it tank, dps, healer, support character/second DPS

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
I put my tanks in a corner and the healer next to them since the healers scale hp and are more likely to survive the colateral damage from the tank agro.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The exception is if your dps is Clara, because she wants to tank hits

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

AParadox posted:

I put my tanks in a corner and the healer next to them since the healers scale hp and are more likely to survive the colateral damage from the tank agro.
This is probably the "right" choice, especially in high-difficulty stuff like SU and Memories, but I like Seele popping her ult as much as possible and I almost always end up sitting on my healing ult

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

So a decent team would be Fireblazer, Natasha, Arlan, Tingyun? Or March 7, Sushang/Dan Heng, -extra-, Tingyun? With Serval, Sampo, Quinque, Welt Yang able to slot into that third slot if needed?

I like all of these guys, and Quinque and Welt are the only ones who hit Quantum and Imaginary. Or should I just not care about those 2 types?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I don't really play these types of games. I've played plenty of rpgs, but most of them have been for SNES and PSX. Things like tanks and DPS have never been something I've actively had to plan around outside of Fire Emblem, and that's a completely different beast.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
A good, safe team comp that can do basically any content the game will throw at you looks like: Main Damage, Support, Healer, Secondary Support/Secondary Damage. The main damage will be using a skill point every turn and everyone else's job is to make sure they're generating enough skill points to fuel the main damage while also sprinkling in their own skills periodically to boost your damage output and keep the party alive. Running multiple big damage dealers has rapidly diminishing returns because almost every damage dealer in the game is heavily dependent on mashing their skill to do actual damage(with a couple of exceptions) and you'll run out of SP trying to fuel two people do that 100% of the time.

So, using just the free characters, you could run compositions like: Serval(Damage)/Asta(Support)/Natasha(Healer)/March 7th(Support) or Dan Heng(Damage)/March 7th(Support)/Natasha(Healer)/Fire Trailblazer(Support).

You can apply this template to basically any characters you get. Arlan/Qingque/Sampo can slot in as a main DPS and Tingyun/Welt serve as supports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I wouldn't think of Quinque as DPS, but I can see it. I thought of her as support.