Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I think you just burned out cause objectively Enterprise isn't worse than Voyager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

P-Mack posted:

I think you just burned out cause objectively Enterprise isn't worse than Voyager

yeah tht sounds right. it's pretty close though, until th last couple seasons

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq8O7i4gI3k

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

P-Mack posted:

You're probably right. I thought Voyager had some really good episodes but most of it was just ok. I'm taking a trek break and I'll get back on Enterprise in a couple of weeks, maybe

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

old tier list

S - DS9 TNG TOS
A
B
C
D
E - ENT, VOY

VOY and ENT are the same tier, they are both filled with unwatchable poo poo where DS9, TNG, and TOS are pretty loving good, VOY and ENT did have good moments where things were basically equal to an average episode of the other 3 series, but gently caress both series were bad

orange juche fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 2, 2023

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

redlettermedia tricked me into watchin picard s3, the first four episodes are really good but man the next three are very much not as good. i fuckin hate new trek lol. kurtzman is a war criminal

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I saw the first two seasons of Discovery and they were just utter trash

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fungah! posted:

redlettermedia tricked me into watchin picard s3, the first four episodes are really good but man the next three are very much not as good. i fuckin hate new trek lol. kurtzman is a war criminal

new trek is trek for people who don't like trek, not only is picard laid out like a drat netflix series, the story itself is pretty loving bad and tries hard to be an allegory for modern strife when star trek was always at its best when it was aspirational or lighthearted

DS9 did serious trek right, since the showrunners weren't up their own asses yet

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

vyelkin posted:

I saw the first two seasons of Discovery and they were just utter trash

my one buddy whos the biggest star trek fan i know tried to get me to watch s1 and i refused because every trailer looked like dog poo poo, eventually s2 came out and i asked him how it was and he basically started crying

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fungah! posted:

my one buddy whos the biggest star trek fan i know tried to get me to watch s1 and i refused because every trailer looked like dog poo poo, eventually s2 came out and i asked him how it was and he basically started crying

lmao yeah that sounds about right

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Strange New Worlds is pretty decent, but that’s with comparing it to the mountains of poo poo the rest of new Trek is

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I WILL SAY, picard s3 so far has had multiple scenes of picard and one to three members of th bridge crew rationally discussing a tough situation and coming up with two to three alternative plans before ultimately deciding on the one they think is most likely to succeed. which is the most star trek scenes weve had since ds9 wrapped

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

At least the worst parts of voyager aren't as bad as either code of honor or profit & lace

Totally agree that ds9 and tng are much better, but I watched all three more or less sequentially, and voyager wasn't awful, just not as good

Couldn't get past episode 1 of ent, so idk about the series as a whole

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

herculon posted:

Strange New Worlds is pretty decent, but that’s with comparing it to the mountains of poo poo the rest of new Trek is

Yeah I like strange new worlds more than voyager or enterprise, but Picard season 2 is absolutely the worst star trek has ever been so that might be influencing my opinion.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I still haven't gotten over the fact that the writer of code of honor wrote the same trash racist episode in the same season and episode slot on sg1

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Finally watching DS9 and it kicks rear end. Sisko ftmfw

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

DaysBefore posted:

Finally watching DS9 and it kicks rear end. Sisko ftmfw

i just love his acting. its so strange and intense.

i watched Generations..... enough said about that. Halfway through s3 of DS9 now and it's continuing to be quite good 👍

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

AARD VARKMAN posted:

i just love his acting. its so strange and intense.

It was so weird (as in unusual and unique) to see a male character who loves his son and is shown hugging him and telling him he's proud of him just as a matter of course. Like the ep where Jake says he doesn't want follow in his dad's footsteps and join starfleet and in every TV show ever made sisko would be furious but instead he's just like 'okay well as long as you're happy that's the main thing'

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sisko ftw, easily one of th best leads in a series with very good lead characters.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

It was so weird (as in unusual and unique) to see a male character who loves his son and is shown hugging him and telling him he's proud of him just as a matter of course. Like the ep where Jake says he doesn't want follow in his dad's footsteps and join starfleet and in every TV show ever made sisko would be furious but instead he's just like 'okay well as long as you're happy that's the main thing'

apparently avery brooks and cirroc lofton are still super close years later, they really built up a father-son bond over the show. definitely came through on the camera, theyre one of the best parent/child relationships i've seen on tv

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fungah! posted:

apparently avery brooks and cirroc lofton are still super close years later, they really built up a father-son bond over the show. definitely came through on the camera, theyre one of the best parent/child relationships i've seen on tv

The Visitor ftw

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah! posted:

lol a buddy of mine had this exact same experience. but gently caress old trek owns so i understand wanting to believe

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

copy posted:

lol a buddy of mine had this exact same experience. but gently caress old trek owns so i understand wanting to believe

if youre lookin for some decent old-style trek the first four episodes are pretty much self-contained and theyre good, it feels like a good tng movie. gonna finish out the series, maybe it gets better lol

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

I like Lower Decks. It's trying a little too hard to be rapid-fire jokes in places and some of the humor misses but overall I am finding it fun and funny. The showrunners clearly see and want to celebrate what's fun about classic trek and as a result most of the episodes actually feel like star trek plots, just condensed and silly.

I really appreciate that the show is poking fun at the dumber stuff in trek while still upholding the setting and themes that make it special. Some of the stuff, like the constant lens flares in the movie parody episode or the First Contact theme playing when they see the replica Phoenix take off made me laugh a lot.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Generations is passable Trek, but this two-minute epilogue created by the Roddenberry Estate is better than the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KXU2Ob8gYY

Warning, sacreligious use of CGI to put Nimoy's face on some other person's head

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

DS9 is the best Trek's even been imo, TNG's just a joy to watch in general when its good. Most of the new stuff tries too hard to be prestige tv.

I started watching lower decks a couple days ago and it seems alright, agree with Arch above that the general humor was a bit too rapid fire in the two eps I watched but allegedly this gets better later on when they don't have the network scrutinizing them or something

Also First Contact owns

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol episode 8 has 15 minutes of brent spiner acting opposite brent spiner. good start...

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

vyelkin posted:

The Visitor ftw

Got to this today. That episode hosed me up.

Fungah! posted:

lol episode 8 has 15 minutes of brent spiner acting opposite brent spiner. good start...

Lol flashbacks to Michael Fassbender being gay for himself in Alien Covenant

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Got to this today. That episode hosed me up.

Lol flashbacks to Michael Fassbender being gay for himself in Alien Covenant

its easily top 5 best episodes of star trek for me and thats a pretty packed list

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

its easily top 5 best episodes of star trek for me and thats a pretty packed list

Man I thought I had a top five but my brain just went "In the Pale Moonlight," then...? Too drat many.

Devil's Due is a personal favorite from TNG, I won't claim it's an all-time great episode but it's one of my favs

Doomsday Machine from TOS

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

in the pale moonlight
measure of a man
the visitor
city on the edge of forever
darmok

but then theres like 50 honorable mentions lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i keep clicking on more youtube ds9 ferengi clips lately, cant get enough

copy
Jul 26, 2007

elf help book posted:

episode where quark's family are the roswell aliens popped into mind immediately after reading this post

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
My top 5 off the top of my head in no particular order

-the measure of a man
-the inner light
-the first duty
-tribunal
-the drumhead

I like high stakes legal dramas (but in space) it turns out

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

the one in magnificent ferengi where they gently caress up goin through the jefferies tubes and end up in sisko's office

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Fungah! posted:

but then theres like 50 honorable mentions lol

Also this however

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The baseball episode of DS9

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

copy posted:

episode where quark's family are the roswell aliens popped into mind immediately after reading this post

oh my god that episode rules

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orj5rNe5AEE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fungah! posted:

in the pale moonlight
measure of a man
the visitor