Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

star trek, tng, and ds9 are unimpeachable. hell even voyager and enterprise had their moments. come join me if any time youd be down to drink a fine wine and watch measure of a man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i watched all of TNG this/last year for the first time and it was great. darmok ftw.

2 seasons in to DS9 which is fun so far. haven't seen any of the TNG movies yet and I'm kind of dreading it by reputation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn8KfYOOEuc

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

first contacts a fun action movie even if its barely trek at all lol. the rest suck poo poo through a jeffries tube

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

first contacts a fun action movie even if its barely trek at all lol. the rest suck poo poo through a jeffries tube

Generations is pretty good imo but First Contact is a lot of fun yeah. The rest suck rear end. Pretty much all the TOS movies are good to excellent except for 5 which also sucks rear end

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Weirdly I got into Star Trek through the movies as a kid when the Sci Fi channel did a marathon of the TOS movies. By that time Voyager was in the 7 of 9 era and DS9 had almost finished so for a long time Voyager was the ST show I'd watched the most and I still have nostalgia for it even if it has the worst good:lovely character ratio

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the tos movies rule nd basically encompass everything that star trek is when it's doin its job right in one series

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

been working on a theory for a while that the tos movies are basically the entire star trek story continuum in one run

1 - crazy high-concept sci-fi
2 - epic space opera
3 - workaday sci-fi
4 - goofy lighthearted comedy
5 - bad idea taken to extremes
6 - high drama about war and the human condition

that covers like 90% of trek right there

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Rewatching TNG at the moment and just got to the ep where geordi forgets to delete his holodeck browsing history and the real Dr Leah Brahms finds the deepfake of her he created and romanced. A prescient cautionary tale

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

the sex ghost posted:

Rewatching TNG at the moment and just got to the ep where geordi forgets to delete his holodeck browsing history and the real Dr Leah Brahms finds the deepfake of her he created and romanced. A prescient cautionary tale

Lol at that and also the first Reg Barclay episode where he made holodeck versions of the main crew so he could belittle Riker and gently caress Troi

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
lmao at reg barclay in general. what a character to make recurring. I liked when he became a horrifying man spider creature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn8KfYOOEuc

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

barclay pwns

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That episode was hype as hell when it came out

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The Voyage Home loving rules.

All of TOS rules because you can put on a random episode and watch a quick cool sci-fi space opera about the human condition or cold war politics

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Glad I bought TOS DVDs. I can't watch the enhanced versions.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Lol at that and also the first Reg Barclay episode where he made holodeck versions of the main crew so he could belittle Riker and gently caress Troi

its hard to hate the man

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

hell yeah. love DS9 and TNG especially. getting too drunk and overly seriously discussing roddenberry's hopeful vision of the future with your friends ftw. jeffrey combs rules

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i literally started watching in order for the first time when i was in my mid 20s from tos in order of release until the ds9 finale 1 episode a night before bed most nights. was a good few years lol. the only voyager episode iver seen was a random one that came on tv where tom paris is in a race and it sucked rear end

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Funny star trek story:

When I was a kid my brother and I found out that search for Spock was on TV at like 2am and we stayed up all night to watch it and he was hyping it up as this awesome movie where Spock comes back to life or something and right before the movie came on it was interrupted by breaking news that Princess Diana died in a car crash and we both got so insanely pissed off we woke our parents up from yelling at the TV

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

Funny star trek story:

When I was a kid my brother and I found out that search for Spock was on TV at like 2am and we stayed up all night to watch it and he was hyping it up as this awesome movie where Spock comes back to life or something and right before the movie came on it was interrupted by breaking news that Princess Diana died in a car crash and we both got so insanely pissed off we woke our parents up from yelling at the TV

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Funny star trek story:

lmao

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Funny star trek story:

lmfao

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Funny star trek story:

lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Did full marathon before discovery came out, and the thing that stuck out to me the most was that as a kid I hated ds9 and loved voyager and after bingeing it all in a row I discovered ds9 pwns and voyager sucks rear end. I still like a lot of the characters in voyager but that series is a wreck.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Arch Nemesis posted:

jeffrey combs rules

:hai:

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Just finished my first watch of Enterprise last night. It was fine, think it gets a bad rap, but obviously not on the level of the others. Gonna pick up TOS for a first watch soon

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Funny star trek story:

Lmao. The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Funny star trek story:

Lmao

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
was inspired to watch a bunch more DS9 cause of this thread

evil universe horny for herself kira :dogstare:

also remembered this lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyzlVpiypOM

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
90s-era Star Trek is cool because you turn on an episode and don't know if you're going to get an episode of badass tense espionage action where the characters infiltrate a covert ring of romulan spies and fight an epic space battle at the end or an episode where beverley crusher fucks a ghost

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Having to explain to my wife why im crying at the part in ds9 where rom says he would be proud of his son being the first ferengi to join starfleet ftw

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
'haha Picard got hit by an energy beam and is trapped in a simulation where everyone thinks he's a scientist. This will be a light-hearted jape and not utterly devastating' -me, a moron

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Alexander is such a piece of poo poo lol

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

DS9 for the win, I was rewatching it but then got to The Visitor and just had to stop for a while

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Arch Nemesis posted:

Just finished my first watch of Enterprise last night. It was fine, think it gets a bad rap, but obviously not on the level of the others. Gonna pick up TOS for a first watch soon

i gave up on it, it just didnt have any interesting episodes. i heard season 4 is ok though so maybe i should just skip to that lol. its also probably the best looking one including all of nutrek though which is sad

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

trying to jack off posted:

i gave up on it, it just didnt have any interesting episodes. i heard season 4 is ok though so maybe i should just skip to that lol. its also probably the best looking one including all of nutrek though which is sad

yeah s3 is sort of cool but s4 was the first point where I started to actually care at all. There are moments of interesting character stuff and a few legit good eps before that but the overall plot is generally dire. tucker and t'pol start stealing the show in s3, phlox is good too.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I like how space in TOS is more uncharted and weird then the later series. The tone of a lot of the episodes is similar to the Twilight Zone with the crew encountering the bizarre and surreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I've been watching though all of star trek since I never saw any of it as a kid and I genuinely hit a wall with Enterprise. I'm sure it's not that bad but it feels pretty awful after watching all of TNG, DS9 and Voyager within a couple of months