Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

star trek, tng, and ds9 are unimpeachable. hell even voyager and enterprise had their moments. come join me if any time youd be down to drink a fine wine and watch measure of a man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

first contacts a fun action movie even if its barely trek at all lol. the rest suck poo poo through a jeffries tube

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the tos movies rule nd basically encompass everything that star trek is when it's doin its job right in one series

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

been working on a theory for a while that the tos movies are basically the entire star trek story continuum in one run

1 - crazy high-concept sci-fi
2 - epic space opera
3 - workaday sci-fi
4 - goofy lighthearted comedy
5 - bad idea taken to extremes
6 - high drama about war and the human condition

that covers like 90% of trek right there

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

barclay pwns

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

That Little Demon posted:

Funny star trek story:

When I was a kid my brother and I found out that search for Spock was on TV at like 2am and we stayed up all night to watch it and he was hyping it up as this awesome movie where Spock comes back to life or something and right before the movie came on it was interrupted by breaking news that Princess Diana died in a car crash and we both got so insanely pissed off we woke our parents up from yelling at the TV

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

P-Mack posted:

I think you just burned out cause objectively Enterprise isn't worse than Voyager

yeah tht sounds right. it's pretty close though, until th last couple seasons

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq8O7i4gI3k

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

redlettermedia tricked me into watchin picard s3, the first four episodes are really good but man the next three are very much not as good. i fuckin hate new trek lol. kurtzman is a war criminal

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

vyelkin posted:

I saw the first two seasons of Discovery and they were just utter trash

my one buddy whos the biggest star trek fan i know tried to get me to watch s1 and i refused because every trailer looked like dog poo poo, eventually s2 came out and i asked him how it was and he basically started crying

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I WILL SAY, picard s3 so far has had multiple scenes of picard and one to three members of th bridge crew rationally discussing a tough situation and coming up with two to three alternative plans before ultimately deciding on the one they think is most likely to succeed. which is the most star trek scenes weve had since ds9 wrapped

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sisko ftw, easily one of th best leads in a series with very good lead characters.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

It was so weird (as in unusual and unique) to see a male character who loves his son and is shown hugging him and telling him he's proud of him just as a matter of course. Like the ep where Jake says he doesn't want follow in his dad's footsteps and join starfleet and in every TV show ever made sisko would be furious but instead he's just like 'okay well as long as you're happy that's the main thing'

apparently avery brooks and cirroc lofton are still super close years later, they really built up a father-son bond over the show. definitely came through on the camera, theyre one of the best parent/child relationships i've seen on tv

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

copy posted:

lol a buddy of mine had this exact same experience. but gently caress old trek owns so i understand wanting to believe

if youre lookin for some decent old-style trek the first four episodes are pretty much self-contained and theyre good, it feels like a good tng movie. gonna finish out the series, maybe it gets better lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol episode 8 has 15 minutes of brent spiner acting opposite brent spiner. good start...

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Got to this today. That episode hosed me up.

Lol flashbacks to Michael Fassbender being gay for himself in Alien Covenant

its easily top 5 best episodes of star trek for me and thats a pretty packed list

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

in the pale moonlight
measure of a man
the visitor
city on the edge of forever
darmok

but then theres like 50 honorable mentions lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

i keep clicking on more youtube ds9 ferengi clips lately, cant get enough

the one in magnificent ferengi where they gently caress up goin through the jefferies tubes and end up in sisko's office

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

copy posted:

episode where quark's family are the roswell aliens popped into mind immediately after reading this post

oh my god that episode rules

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orj5rNe5AEE

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

vyelkin posted:

these are all good but the inner light has got to be up there imo

yeah but which one do you cut

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_IaVMsCbf8

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok i finished s3 of picard and its good. still too much guns nd swearing but hell at least it had some star trek in it and i'm glad nemesis nd then picard s2 werent the last word on the tng crew lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmfao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol that ones so good. bashir ftw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

never watch any neelix voyager episode for any reason

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

honestly never watch voyager

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

ive seen two episodes of voyager, one where tom paris enters a race with shuttle craft and nothing happens for the entire episode. The other one was where neelix merges with tuvok and they murder the resulting new lifeform as they beg for their life

tuvix was murdered. fact.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The thing about voyager is it has like 3-4 good characters total, when less than half of your main cast is likable you’re in big trouble

i don't think I cn name more than five main characters off the top of my head nd I could probably do 100 characters each from tng and ds9

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the end is so grim lol. he says he doesnt want to die and may his death forever be on their conscience, then they march him down to the suicide booth to get back jar jar binks and a vulcan that isnt spock

lol yeah, fuckin green mile energy ending to bring back two of the lamest characters in trek

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hans gruber falls from nakatomi plaza and the moment his body makes impact with the ground claptrap springs out

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rewatchin the episode where barclay turns into a supergenius and man i dont know what they were paying dwight schultz but whatever it was they got a bargain. dude is an 11/10 actor in this

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Barclay ftw

back to DS9 this week and watched The Visitor,
the one with old man Jake :staredog:

nice change of pace from the crapshoot Voyager has been

thats easily one of the best trek episodes ever

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Seven of nine leading directly to president obama was probably not something any of us ever expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42kNsY-BIo8

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

thinking about this scene...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMKtKNZw4Bo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

thats somethin that good trek really does right, the episode where tht happens sucks in the main iirc but the core characters kick so much rear end that theres always something to grab onto, like there'll be a good character moment or a solid quark/odo bit or a good picard speech or whatever. bring back 26 episode tv

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

and hell while i'm thinkin about it thats the number one thing new trek gets wrong about character writing,. the characters in good trek might like each other or be friends or even hate each others guts but at th end of the day they're military officers on a starship. theyve got to act a certain way, they cant fight among the crew for cheap drama or if they do its because somethin is seriously wrong. not even talkin just about the quips although obviously thats the worst offender but no one acts like they're a fuckin professional

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

i dont watch a lot of trek but it's cool how much more relatable it is than other sci-fi in tv and film. i'm not gonna meet a wookie but i'm probably going to have a work meeting with a guy i don't really like.

yup lol. all those tng episodes where the dilemmas not the string theory alien thats eating part of the ship, its that the guy who can fix it and riker have beef and they need to squash it. thats good fuckin tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

copy posted:

prob gonna do that after my hunter x hunter rewatch myself. ds9 was badass

been thinkin about doin one myself, ds9 is so good. ish ould finish my enterprise rewatch first though, i powered through th first two seasons and i was so worn down i couldnt keep goin lol. gently caress you rick berman!