Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Black bears, meh. Moose are terrifying. Mountain lions always run.

The craziest animal I ever encountered was a harbor seal while free diving with my brother in the Monterey Bay, in northern California.

We had gotten good at holding our breath, no scuba, and could stay down for 2 - 2.5 minutes each. It was awesome to free dive; wet suit, fins, gloves, masks and snorkel.

One day we went out and a harbor seal decided to join us. Swam around with us for a good half hour, just swimming with us, around us, etc. We'd hit the surface to catch our breath and it was there just waiting for us when we went down again. It was a bit odd, but we were very okay with it. They have teeth and such, but this one decided to just hang out for a while.

I wanted to link a pic, but dang if the url wasn't a mile long. You can google them; adorable.

Share any stories of your wild animal encounters; would love to hear them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sajobi
Feb 7, 2015

Close the world, Open the nExt
Wild hog. In prague close to a forest. Me and my friend were walking up some random hill. And we saw this massive animal through some fence. So we thought running and screaming like idiots (thinking it would just not run towards us, which it obviously did). It loving overtook us and stood between us and the road. Scary at the time, but nothing really happened. It tried jumping on us a couple of times before walking off.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I did research for my Master's degree in Bio (which I am absolutely NOT making use of) that involved licensed and permitted sampling of sea turtle nests. I pretty much had to be on top of them as soon as they hatched cuz I was doing energetics studies on hatchlings. Lot of waiting, lot of guesswork, lot of beach walking.

Anyway, my PI and I were just kind of seated on the beach near a nest that was due to hatch any day, just kind of waiting and staring out at the water at like 11 at night. She gets my attention and I look to the surf; an adult loggerhead is making her way up to the shore and on to the beach.

The turtle crawls no further than four feet to our right, turns around, digs a hole, and starts laying her eggs. We got to see the whole thing, and it was probably my most indelible memory of my research.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Wild boars are crazy. I remember stopping in the middle of the road because there was this beast standing there, and thinking to myself, this animal could probably wreck my truck. The boar walked away after a bit. Hooray!

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I grew up in Anchorage and we'd frequently get moose and black bears wandering through our yard in our suburb. I thought it was normal.

I've never seen so many wild animals since.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

ElectricSheep posted:

I did research for my Master's degree in Bio (which I am absolutely NOT making use of) that involved licensed and permitted sampling of sea turtle nests. I pretty much had to be on top of them as soon as they hatched cuz I was doing energetics studies on hatchlings. Lot of waiting, lot of guesswork, lot of beach walking.

Anyway, my PI and I were just kind of seated on the beach near a nest that was due to hatch any day, just kind of waiting and staring out at the water at like 11 at night. She gets my attention and I look to the surf; an adult loggerhead is making her way up to the shore and on to the beach.

The turtle crawls no further than four feet to our right, turns around, digs a hole, and starts laying her eggs. We got to see the whole thing, and it was probably my most indelible memory of my research.

Such a lucky experience to see.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Jelly posted:

I grew up in Anchorage and we'd frequently get moose and black bears wandering through our yard in our suburb. I thought it was normal.

I've never seen so many wild animals since.

It's funny how you get use to it. "That's just normal"

sajobi
Feb 7, 2015

Close the world, Open the nExt

Internetjack posted:

Wild boars are crazy. I remember stopping in the middle of the road because there was this beast standing there, and thinking to myself, this animal could probably wreck my truck. The boar walked away after a bit. Hooray!

It was very weird. Happened like 10 years ago. And I still sometimes encounter boars here. But it's always just somewhere like 30 meters away in a forest, never full on 10 cm away or whatever.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

A giant vulture flew into the window next to where I sit to touch computers and scared the poo poo out of me, then it just chilled on the windowsill for a bit before loving off again after we exchanged looks

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Mr.Acula posted:

A giant vulture flew into the window next to where I sit to touch computers and scared the poo poo out of me, then it just chilled on the windowsill for a bit before loving off again after we exchanged looks

Either get that skeleton out of the closet or take a shower, sheesh

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

In my childhood I got bit by a toucan and stung by a jellyfish and pinched by a blue crab

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I met Canuck the crow. He's famous for stealing a knife. He perched on my arm when I raised it for him, beacuase he's so chill around people, but I knew he really just wanted my McDonald's fries (his favorite food).

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE

Internetjack posted:

christ you sound insufferable

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I was walking through a park that was partly forested in the city of Munich. I was loud on beer and had half a pretzel in my hand. It was the dead of night. Massive, a deer with tremendous antlers approached me, which I know sounds weird but I guess these deer are chill with people. It was so quiet, that I didn't even notice until it was feet away. I gave it the rest of my pretzel, which it took. Pretzel in mouth, it ambled away without issue. And this story is basically true

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 27, 2023

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Does a zoo count? I was maybe only 12 and I had a roll of Werther's Originals in my hands, unwrapping one outside one of the monkey pens. Something that looked like a celebus crested macaque jumped over to the cage, eye level with me, and stared for a second. Then it stuck it's hand out as if to say "Gimme that, fucker!!!"

Me and my sister laughed and I handed it to him.

I now know that was a very irresponsible thing to do.

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
"6 of my brothers and I went for a nude dive off of Astoria OR it was spiritually fulfilling and we got to embrace large cuttlefish while making out" - op

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
A baby rabbit crawled under a chain link fence to sit on my lap

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I was laying some bricks when caught a couple of bluetongues having a root, at first I thought they were having a fight cause to get it on the male bites onto the side of the female so he can get into position.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I used to catch Garter Snakes

One threw up an earthworm on me

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
I rescued this little buddy a long time ago, before phones could take pictures or go in your pocket.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
That's a good looking owl!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
There was a groundhog that lived under our shed for a while, and he got pretty used to us and would just do his thing. He was there for long enough that I thought about putting a little mailbox up as a cute joke but then he mysteriously disappeared so I’m assuming a fox or coyote got him :(

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I volunteered at a cheetah conservancy in South Africa a few years ago. None of them were totally wild, but we still had instructions on how to interact with the cheetahs in case they got "naughty". It was a mostly peaceful experience - they do purr a lot - but I was also jumped from behind by a cheetah that wanted to smell my hair I guess. In any case it ruined my t-shirt and I still have a few scars down my sides for it.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Seen ‘em all in the Sonoran desert. Was being followed by two coyotes through the desert once, although they never engaged anything; they were just curious and kept their distance. Seen jackrabbits running all over the place. Seen javelina eating prickly pear cactus and sniffing around. The only thing I haven’t seen is a mountain lion and no thank you.

But my absolute favorite wild animal experience was walking back home from the store and being ambushed by a gargantuan family of quail. It was an adorable stampede of fast little birds just surrounding me :3:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My mom used to be the local Animal Lady when I was a kid. If you found an injured animal, you'd take it to my mom and she'd nurse it back to health. We've had

- A litter of baby opossums
- Many sparrows
- A woodpecker
- Ground squirrels
- Various mice
- A bass
- Ducks
- Garter snakes
- A baby raccoon

The raccoon we had the longest. Named him Miles and raised him alongside our puppies until he was big and healthy. Miles was a good, clean lad who played well with others.

Now we have raccoons that occasionally visit the garage for cat food. They never bother the cats and seem more resigned than anything when you catch them, either casually moseying out the door or lazily climbing to the top of the cat tree and lying flat. And then once you leave the room, they continue eating the cat food. One of our cats would actively hang out with them.

Good coons.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
I got sprayed by a skunk once. At least once. I got bit by a squirrel too. Several raccoons have chased me.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
There was a 75 year old neighbor lady that has since passed. Lived by herself on her acreage and was a nudist. She went out of her cabin to use the outhouse and have a smoke. She patted her dog on the head as she walked by. Sitting in the outhouse she realized her dog was inside. She had patted a bear on the head while walking naked and having a smoke, to use the outhouse.

DefectiveTongue
Apr 27, 2023

by vyelkin

naem
May 29, 2011

All Wild Animals aRe Cool (A.W.A.R.C.)

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Quokkas

naem
May 29, 2011

it’s tricky to quokka rhyme

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Your mom. :smuggo::pipe:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

I have a hobo cat in my neighborhood who is probably faking homelessness. I give him pets and sometimes treats on my walks.

Other than that, there were a couple of doves that would chill out on my balcony and i'd give em seed so they were cool chilling with me as i would read in the evenings.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

naem posted:

it’s tricky to quokka rhyme

to quokka rhyme

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

naem posted:

Nah, sandhill cranes are complete dildos. Standing in the middle of the road staring you down like “I’m federally protected bitch. You wait.”

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

naem posted:

I dont think the fish thay swims up your dickhole is very cool but some people might be into live sounding i guess

naem
May 29, 2011

dotn kinkshamb

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I like to surf and have hung out w a bunch of whales, dolphins, sharks, seals, sea lions, turtles, ducks and pelicans over the years.

Most of them have just hung around and swim around me and my friends while we are just sitting beyond the break waiting for wave sets to come in, but I’ve actually surfed on the same waves w/dolphins who were just playing around and having a good time.

The only time I’ve felt concerned is: (1) when a trio of dolphins was getting a little too close/friendly, as I’ve heard they will gently caress you up if they feel like it; and (2) surfing in Nor Cal when a group of young seals were hanging around us non-stop in a relatively isolated harbor, as we’d heard reports of recent shark attacks in the area

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Platypus.

:australia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i traveled to Kenya long ago and saw many animals but probably my favorite was seeing a hippo take a poo poo and use its tail as like a propeller to spray it everywhere. that owned.