Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I don’t really want will levis but I wouldn’t be furious if they took him in the second if he’s still there. Would definitely prefer a WR or CB there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Yeah this is one to watch today.

Lions don't currently have a 3rd. They won't get one straight up for Swift, but there's other picks that can be packaged up.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

If I were a Colts fan I wouldn't be unhappy with the Richardson pick. Whatever the hell happens will surely be entertaining all the way

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

As a Colts fan I in fact really like the pick. Levis was the worst-case scenario, Richardson was the kind of big swing I didn't think Ballard had in him and even if he's not great he should at least make the games fun to watch again.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Bumhead posted:

Yeah this is one to watch today.

Lions don't currently have a 3rd. They won't get one straight up for Swift, but there's other picks that can be packaged up.

He's gone if they can get anything back, he just doesn't have the drive that Campbell wants, Duce Staley was driven nuts by him. He'd do amazing things, but not the simple things.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ShakeZula posted:

As a Colts fan I in fact really like the pick. Levis was the worst-case scenario, Richardson was the kind of big swing I didn't think Ballard had in him and even if he's not great he should at least make the games fun to watch again.
And he has Minshew to sit behind. With Steichen being in his first year, and he knows Minshew, do you think he'll try to let Richardson sit some/all of the year?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

And he has Minshew to sit behind. With Steichen being in his first year, and he knows Minshew, do you think he'll try to let Richardson sit some/all of the year?

At the very least I think it'll greatly lessen the pressure to rush Richardson out there. Ballard and Steichen are both secure in their jobs, and pretty much all of the fanbase is on board with the idea that Richardson might need some time to grow.

They've left the door open for him to outright win the job in the offseason, but they've also made it clear that he'll only start when he earns it.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/marlon_humphrey/status/1651911577816145920?t=26wSeKctUsQW6gVn1F2Htw&s=19

Lmao

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Indy, please take good care of our big and handsome and powerful Gator QB

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
I found myself actually more than okay with the Chargers pick of a WR, especially since they effectively started the run on them. They do really good when they actually address significant need, and WR depth with someone who can actually run was a big one. I wasn't overwhelmed or underwhelmed by it all, just mostly whelmed.

I will accept whelmed given my options, tbh. I don't really have much else to say about it. I wasn't expecting them to gently caress up their first round pick; yes I know they kind of have a history of it, but more often than not they actually do get it right. It's all the rest of the rounds I'm worried about. This isn't the Seahawks or Chiefs who do actual work identifying real talent in later rounds and develop them in ways that make me envious. This is the Chargers where it's more they throw spaghetti at the wall and sees what kind of mold grows in it after leaving it there long enough. My analogy is broken somewhere, and I don't care. So is my faith in this team to actually do anything other than get washed out from the playoffs in one of the worst games I've ever seen them "play".

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Scipiotik posted:

He's gone if they can get anything back, he just doesn't have the drive that Campbell wants, Duce Staley was driven nuts by him. He'd do amazing things, but not the simple things.

It was infuriating watching him constantly get nothing trying to get to the edge instead of just running upfield.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Eagles should draft Keelee Ringo now

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I get the impression they aren't opposed to starting Richardson right away. They know he's going to need time and reps but I think it will depend on how he does in camp. I think he'll end up starting the majority of the year but will be eased into it and maybe only play a few series here and there for the first few games.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

There’s no experience like game experience. Richardson, Ballard, and Steichen all have security for at least this year so they should create a safe learning environment and do their best.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Does Ballard actually have any job security though?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Does Ballard actually have any job security though?

He should. Colts have drafted very well under his tenure. The only major flaw has been QB, and that's more luck and the market than anything.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Puppy Bowl posted:

He should. Colts have drafted very well under his tenure. The only major flaw has been QB, and that's more luck and the market than anything.
This is incorrect. Their OL has been bad and WRs have not been great. Some of the OL stuff has to be on the coaches because their C and LG should be fantastic, but Ballard's inability to even address the LT situation over the course of like three years is inexcusable when he is also the one driving the "lets get a vet QB" angle that he was.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

The OL kind of suddenly became bad last year after being one of the best in the league before that, so my instinct says that was more on coaching.

Ballard does have job security though. Irsay had every reason in the world to fire him along with Reich and get a fresh start, a huge portion of the fanbase was begging him to, but instead he let him lead a search for and hire a new coach. Barring some kind of unmitigated disaster (beyond just poor play of a developing rookie QB), Ballard has at least a couple of years of security.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If someone posted the actual 1st round as a mock draft, they would have gotten flamed so hard

Lol

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Still can't believe Daniel Jeremiah correctly predicted the Texans picking at 2 and 3

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ShakeZula posted:

Still can't believe Daniel Jeremiah correctly predicted the Texans picking at 2 and 3
Same. One of the mocks I saw also projected the Steelers moving up ahead of the Jets for Broderick Jones so double lol there

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If someone posted the actual 1st round as a mock draft, they would have gotten flamed so hard

Lol
Oh absolutely.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Lol

@oldtakesexposed

Slowpoke! posted:

I don’t think this draft is any more unpredictable than most drafts. It’s just more intriguing because there are 4 potential top 10 QBs.

But you could probably find a bunch of mocks that get it 80% right, aside from maybe some surprise trades.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The key thing towards understanding the Lions' draft choices so far is that Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell aren't just looking for good players — they want players that slot in well with the culture they're building, which means dudes that eat, breath, sleep, and dream football. Penei Sewell and Aiden Hutchinson are probably the pre-eminent examples of this: Both were elite athletes, but their dedication to the game was one of their biggest defining traits. So with that in mind, it's easy to see why Holmes went with Gibbs and Campbell, in spite of their positional value — both are extremely high-character football-obsessed guys, both have elite athleticism, and both are in positions where the Lions were looking to upgrade. With that in mind, it's easy to see why the Lions did what they did, and honestly it's kinda hard to argue against them, especially since the traits the Lions value the most are the ones hardest for us in the peanut gallery to see or evaluate.

As it stands, there are also now a couple reporters saying that the Jets were likely to pick up Gibbs at 15, so Holmes probably did make the right move in not waiting.

https://twitter.com/DraftCampbell/status/1651970919122841601?s=20

https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/1651986882434150404?s=20

e: Also with his coach raving about him like this yeah it's no wonder the Lions fell in love with this guy:

https://twitter.com/BenjaminSRaven/status/1651982486400802816?s=20

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 28, 2023

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Jets drafted a RB in the 2nd last year who looked great until he got injured last year.

I am 100% certain they were not going to draft a running back at 15.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The key thing towards understanding the Lions' draft choices so far is that Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell aren't just looking for good players — they want players that slot in well with the culture they're building, which means dudes that eat, breath, sleep, and dream football. Penei Sewell and Aiden Hutchinson are probably the pre-eminent examples of this: Both were elite athletes, but their dedication to the game was one of their biggest defining traits. So with that in mind, it's easy to see why Holmes went with Gibbs and Campbell, in spite of their positional value — both are extremely high-character football-obsessed guys, both have elite athleticism, and both are in positions where the Lions were looking to upgrade. With that in mind, it's easy to see why the Lions did what they did, and honestly it's kinda hard to argue against them, especially since the traits the Lions value the most are the ones hardest for us in the peanut gallery to see or evaluate.

As it stands, there are also now a couple reporters saying that the Jets were likely to pick up Gibbs at 15, so Holmes probably did make the right move in not waiting.

https://twitter.com/DraftCampbell/status/1651970919122841601?s=20

https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/1651986882434150404?s=20

e: Also with his coach raving about him like this yeah it's no wonder the Lions fell in love with this guy:

https://twitter.com/BenjaminSRaven/status/1651982486400802816?s=20

Summary: kneecaps lol

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Kalli posted:

The Jets drafted a RB in the 2nd last year who looked great until he got injured last year.

My exact thoughts. Unless they went "Rodgers need weapons and not JSN"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kalli posted:

This was my first thought. And Zonovan Knight looked pretty good close to the end of the season when the rest of the offense was falling apart.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Kalli posted:

I don't see that as much of a counterargument tbh, teams double up on positions all the time. If Gibbs was the top player on NY's board (and not saying he was, just for the sake of argument), they weren't going to say "well shucks, we already have a pretty good back, better pass on him for a dude we don't like as much," they'd say "Hell yeah, now we have two really good players with complimentary skillsets and insurance in case one of them gets injured."

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Character is great. I wish I was a high character guy. Would improve my life a lot.

But if you're a high character offensive lineman, can you deploy it, Care Bear Stare style, to stop Jalen Carter as he's flinging you to the earth?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I don't see that as much of a counterargument tbh, teams double up on positions all the time. If Gibbs was the top player on NY's board (and not saying he was, just for the sake of argument), they weren't going to say "well shucks, we already have a pretty good back, better pass on him for a dude we don't like as much," they'd say "Hell yeah, now we have two really good players with complimentary skillsets and insurance in case one of them gets injured."

They generally don't double up at the most fungible position on the field using valuable 1st rounders.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Paracaidas posted:

Athletic Dane mocks 2 and 3

My entire knowledge of NCAA comes from the draft discussion threads in here (and SAS for basketball) so now I'm all-in on Rooting For Good Names:

Hendon Hooker, QB, Tennessee
Adetomiwa Adebawore, DT, Northwestern
BJ Ojulari, Edge, LSU
Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia
O’Cyrus Torrence, G, Florida
Zach Charbonnet, RB, UCLA
YaYa Diaby, Edge, Louisville
Tuli Tuipulotu, Edge, USC
Gervon Dexter Sr., DT, Florida
Siaki Ika, DT, Baylor
Tank Dell, WR, Houston
Marte Mapu, LB/S, Sacramento State

It's simultaneously a letdown and hilarious that "Tank" Dell is 5'8" 165lbs (or so reports suggest). Was picturing him just mashing the truckstick downfield.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Kalli posted:

I dunno, maybe this is the start of a trend where RB is valued more like WR - offenses that have leaned on the run have had success lately, and if you're going to do that it makes almost as much sense to have two stud backs as it does to have two stud receivers.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dejan Bimble posted:

Character is great. I wish I was a high character guy. Would improve my life a lot.

But if you're a high character offensive lineman, can you deploy it, Care Bear Stare style, to stop Jalen Carter as he's flinging you to the earth?

I get people really wanted Jalen Carter, and the LIons brought him in for a meeting etc. They opt'd to pass on him. I think they had a good idea of his talent and decided it wasn't for them.

I still contend the best place for him was the Eagles, especially with all his old teammates on it.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

It's really funny that the only 1st round pick the Packers have used on offense in the last 10 years was on a quarterback.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cash Monet posted:

It's really funny that the only 1st round pick the Packers have used on offense in the last 10 years was on a quarterback.
And yet their defense is putrid.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Indy, please take good care of our big and handsome and powerful Gator QB

I know I mentioned this to you in the nfcw thread but I've seen more of people reading the tea leaves this morning thinking that the Hawks really were targeting Richardson. I think Schneider said there were only two players that they would have stayed at 5 for, and Witherspoon was one of them. The buzz is that Witherspoon was their second choice.

shirts and skins fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 28, 2023

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
. quote is not edit

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I don't believe that Jets taking Gibbs thing for a second. Smells like PR. Breece is a legit 3 down back and an excellent receiver and Michael Carter still exists.

Taking McDonald obviously showed their ability to burn 15th overall on a non-need, but at least they did it at a premium position rather than RB.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Paracaidas posted:

Athletic Dane mocks 2 and 3

I'll be honest I have not spent one millisecond looking at linebackers because it would seem to be toward the bottom of our needs. But Drew Sanders looks like an extremely Patriotsbrain player so this is concerning

edit: if he's BPA on their board by a mile then go for it I guess, but this offense is heading toward somehow not improving at all over 2022 which is a big yikes

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Danny LaFever posted:

I get people really wanted Jalen Carter, and the LIons brought him in for a meeting etc. They opt'd to pass on him. I think they had a good idea of his talent and decided it wasn't for them.

I still contend the best place for him was the Eagles, especially with all his old teammates on it.

Well there are a lot of guys like Dalton Wilcox the cowboy poet/TE (comedy bang bang reference), Witherspoon, Bijan Robinson who I'd rather have than the second best rb.

But I assume they liked Jahmyr Gibbs as a reciever and a second relief valve for Goff other than St Brown. Maybe they think they have their RB1 in Montgomery and didn't care about Robinson's tackle breaking as much as they liked Gibbs's speed and ability to do nice things in the middle of the field. Either way it just seems like a waste to grab an RB when a bunch of premium guys were available. Holmes has earned benefit of the doubt but it doesn't make him beyond reproach.