Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The loving second best running back and a mike linebacker, just shoot me in the rear end in a top hat with a machine gun

Could have had jalen carter but no, we have to earn a 4th or 5th round pick in trade chart value. What a loving waste. gently caress the lions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The key thing towards understanding the Lions' draft choices so far is that Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell aren't just looking for good players — they want players that slot in well with the culture they're building, which means dudes that eat, breath, sleep, and dream football. Penei Sewell and Aiden Hutchinson are probably the pre-eminent examples of this: Both were elite athletes, but their dedication to the game was one of their biggest defining traits. So with that in mind, it's easy to see why Holmes went with Gibbs and Campbell, in spite of their positional value — both are extremely high-character football-obsessed guys, both have elite athleticism, and both are in positions where the Lions were looking to upgrade. With that in mind, it's easy to see why the Lions did what they did, and honestly it's kinda hard to argue against them, especially since the traits the Lions value the most are the ones hardest for us in the peanut gallery to see or evaluate.

As it stands, there are also now a couple reporters saying that the Jets were likely to pick up Gibbs at 15, so Holmes probably did make the right move in not waiting.

Character is great. I wish I was a high character guy. Would improve my life a lot.

But if you're a high character offensive lineman, can you deploy it, Care Bear Stare style, to stop Jalen Carter as he's flinging you to the earth?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Danny LaFever posted:

I get people really wanted Jalen Carter, and the LIons brought him in for a meeting etc. They opt'd to pass on him. I think they had a good idea of his talent and decided it wasn't for them.

I still contend the best place for him was the Eagles, especially with all his old teammates on it.

Well there are a lot of guys like Dalton Wilcox the cowboy poet/TE (comedy bang bang reference), Witherspoon, Bijan Robinson who I'd rather have than the second best rb.

But I assume they liked Jahmyr Gibbs as a reciever and a second relief valve for Goff other than St Brown. Maybe they think they have their RB1 in Montgomery and didn't care about Robinson's tackle breaking as much as they liked Gibbs's speed and ability to do nice things in the middle of the field. Either way it just seems like a waste to grab an RB when a bunch of premium guys were available. Holmes has earned benefit of the doubt but it doesn't make him beyond reproach.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean I'm absolutely sure Brad wanted Witherspoon too but once Seattle made their pick that wasn't an option.

Yeah I had the same thought. They liked Richardson/Witherspoon more than anyone else and when both were gone they made the trade

( I know they didn't meet with Richardson but he's reportedly a great guy and beloved so he fits their mold)

Tricky Ed posted:

High character can't make you bigger or stronger, but if you're a Guy on a team of Guys you play harder for them and the other Guys play harder for you. I've worked with enough "high production" assholes to know that they are tolerable in good situations and actively destructive in a bad one. Given this is Detroit, I understand them going for Their Guys who aren't going to start generating toxic fumes the second something goes wrong, because something is going to go wrong.

Not saying any people involved/passed on are definitely toxic, but it's not wrong to prioritize people who you feel will be constructive as long as they're able to do the job you need them to do.

Yeah I get it, I just don't like it. It maybe says something about the organization. They don't think their culture is strong enough for their most talented player to be an rear end in a top hat. They don't believe they can handle that right now.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Old baseball scouts would hate Brice Young's lack of a "face tool"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I know its easy pickings to make fun of draft grades but this guy is Easy A (2010) [Emma Stone, Stanley Tucci, Lisa Kudrow]

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-draft-day-2-quick-snap-grades-for-all-32-teams

As long as you just pick who the mocks say to pick you get an A. I'd like to see draft grades where you get a C for an average pick and an A for getting value for the slots.

It's kind of silly to grade the draft for consensus since we know historical hit rates go from like 1% to 85% (first round centers) based on position and round