Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The key thing towards understanding the Lions' draft choices so far is that Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell aren't just looking for good players — they want players that slot in well with the culture they're building, which means dudes that eat, breath, sleep, and dream football. Penei Sewell and Aiden Hutchinson are probably the pre-eminent examples of this: Both were elite athletes, but their dedication to the game was one of their biggest defining traits. So with that in mind, it's easy to see why Holmes went with Gibbs and Campbell, in spite of their positional value — both are extremely high-character football-obsessed guys, both have elite athleticism, and both are in positions where the Lions were looking to upgrade. With that in mind, it's easy to see why the Lions did what they did, and honestly it's kinda hard to argue against them, especially since the traits the Lions value the most are the ones hardest for us in the peanut gallery to see or evaluate.

As it stands, there are also now a couple reporters saying that the Jets were likely to pick up Gibbs at 15, so Holmes probably did make the right move in not waiting.

https://twitter.com/DraftCampbell/status/1651970919122841601?s=20

https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/1651986882434150404?s=20

e: Also with his coach raving about him like this yeah it's no wonder the Lions fell in love with this guy:

https://twitter.com/BenjaminSRaven/status/1651982486400802816?s=20

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Kalli posted:

The Jets drafted a RB in the 2nd last year who looked great until he got injured last year.

I am 100% certain they were not going to draft a running back at 15.

I don't see that as much of a counterargument tbh, teams double up on positions all the time. If Gibbs was the top player on NY's board (and not saying he was, just for the sake of argument), they weren't going to say "well shucks, we already have a pretty good back, better pass on him for a dude we don't like as much," they'd say "Hell yeah, now we have two really good players with complimentary skillsets and insurance in case one of them gets injured."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Dejan Bimble posted:

Well there are a lot of guys like Dalton Wilcox the cowboy poet/TE (comedy bang bang reference), Witherspoon, Bijan Robinson who I'd rather have than the second best rb.

But I assume they liked Jahmyr Gibbs as a reciever and a second relief valve for Goff other than St Brown. Maybe they think they have their RB1 in Montgomery and didn't care about Robinson's tackle breaking as much as they liked Gibbs's speed and ability to do nice things in the middle of the field. Either way it just seems like a waste to grab an RB when a bunch of premium guys were available. Holmes has earned benefit of the doubt but it doesn't make him beyond reproach.

I mean I'm absolutely sure Brad wanted Witherspoon too but once Seattle made their pick that wasn't an option.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

a neat cape posted:

I hated when we made the Bosa pick and was sad that we got Slater instead of Sewell

In fairness Penei fuckin' rules