Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I think op is just mad his Jeff Dunham megathread never took off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
What the gently caress are you talking about? Is this your attempt at Douglas Adamsian lolrandom humor because if so you nailed it

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

First three books are good. 4 and 5 suck.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

feelix posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? Is this your attempt at Douglas Adamsian lolrandom humor because if so you nailed it

I'm suggesting you're a fan of low brow American humor instead of something a little too elevated for your neanderthal pea-brain to handle

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Smugworth posted:

I'm suggesting you're a fan of low brow American humor instead of something a little too elevated for your neanderthal pea-brain to handle

Yeah you're definitely a Douglas Adams quote guy

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
smart space people use towels

LOL

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
I played it on my home computer. Beam myself into the future

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Smugworth posted:

its not exactly the most sophisticated comedy around, its really a book for 14 year olds

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

feelix posted:

Yeah you're definitely a Douglas Adams quote guy

If you're unhappy with the level of posting you're receiving, you may file a complaint in the Official GBS Feedback thread between the hours of 10am and 11am GMT. Thank you.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Is this a master of wizards or merely their apprentice

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
I enjoyed the joke that Ford Prefect adopted his name because he thought cars were the dominant life form on earth.

The fourth or fifth book has some serious divorced middle aged dad energy and if I recall correctly, Adams was dealing with some serious depression at the time he wrote them. I believe Arthur becomes Head Sandwich maker for a tribe of ancient humans and there’s a whole paragraph dedicated to the question of whether he fucks (spoiler: he does).

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Ah, the delightful musings of those who claim that Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy isn't funny. How I love to revel in the absurdity of their assertions, much like Arthur Dent revels in the absurdity of his intergalactic adventures.

Perhaps these naysayers simply lack the necessary sense of humor to appreciate the absurdity of a sentient spaceship with a depressed robot as its brain, or the hilarity of a man dressed in a bathrobe traveling through space with only a towel as his sole possession.

But fear not, dear friends, for just as the Infinite Improbability Drive can transform a spaceship into a potted plant, so too can the wit and wisdom of Douglas Adams transform even the most humorless of individuals into a giggling mess.

So let us all raise our Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters to the genius that is Douglas Adams, and to those who dare claim that Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy isn't funny, let us offer them a friendly reminder that humor, much like the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything, is subjective.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
sure op, but have you read The Restaurant At The End of The Universe? I did a book report on it, a year or two after it was first published. I was twelve and was forever ostracized by my peers, but I did the attention of the girl I was trying to impress, so it worked out in the end, sort of.

e:Twelve years old seems like the golden age of reading for me; The Hobbit, HHGTG and Dune were my favorite books back then.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 29, 2023

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Books are good now, were absolutely stellar forty years ago.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Smugworth posted:

Ah, the delightful musings of those who claim that Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy isn't funny. How I love to revel in the absurdity of their assertions, much like Arthur Dent revels in the absurdity of his intergalactic adventures.

Perhaps these naysayers simply lack the necessary sense of humor to appreciate the absurdity of a sentient spaceship with a depressed robot as its brain, or the hilarity of a man dressed in a bathrobe traveling through space with only a towel as his sole possession.

But fear not, dear friends, for just as the Infinite Improbability Drive can transform a spaceship into a potted plant, so too can the wit and wisdom of Douglas Adams transform even the most humorless of individuals into a giggling mess.

So let us all raise our Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters to the genius that is Douglas Adams, and to those who dare claim that Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy isn't funny, let us offer them a friendly reminder that humor, much like the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything, is subjective.

poo poo the gently caress up Dare

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

feelix posted:

poo poo the gently caress up Dare

Ah, yes, the classic accusation that one is, in fact, Dare. How quaint. It's almost as if some people don't understand the vastness and complexity of the digital universe.

Now, I'm not saying that I am or am not Dare. That's a matter for the Vogons to sort out. But let's consider for a moment the sheer improbability of such a claim. After all, there are countless posters on this vast digital expanse we call the internet. To suggest that I am a specific individual based on nothing more than my words is akin to claiming that one can identify a single bacterium in a Petri dish without a microscope.

But let's say, for the sake of argument, that I am Dare. What then? Am I to be vilified and cast out like some sort of interstellar pariah? Or should we celebrate the fact that I have managed to transcend the boundaries of mere mortal existence and become a digital entity of immense power and influence?

Ultimately, the answer to that question, much like the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything, remains elusive. So let us simply revel in the mystery and absurdity of it all, and perhaps share a friendly pint of Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster as we contemplate the vastness of the digital universe and our place within it.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I don't have a strong opinion on it since I only read it once as a teenager but either way op is insufferable

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
You're supposed to read it when youre like 9 or 12. Next you gonna complain Garfield comics don't hold up?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

ElectricSheep posted:

I think I remember reading a select excerpt of Danerys making GBS threads her guts out, lovingly detailed, and thought it had to be parody until it was revealed to be an actual paragraph from one of the books lol

I think that's how the whole series ended haha

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Vim Fuego posted:

You're supposed to read it when youre like 9 or 12. Next you gonna complain Garfield comics don't hold up?

No you're not. It's not classified as youth fiction anywhere except inside the tedious brains of people who want to defend thie nostalgia for it and pretend you're not allowed to read anything less sophisticated than War and Peace once you turn 20

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

ElectricSheep posted:

I think I remember reading a select excerpt of Danerys making GBS threads her guts out, lovingly detailed, and thought it had to be parody until it was revealed to be an actual paragraph from one of the books lol

Are you confusing some Douglas Adams character with Daenerys from A Song Of Ice And Fire by George R. R. Martin?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

I worked with this guy once who was obsessed with convincing me to read The Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy. Probably because I kept lying and saying I’d never heard of the book. Every. single. day. he’d spout off quotes and laugh to himself and then say, “man, o man, you need The Guide you’ll love it!” He was convinced that I was missing out on something real good and important and he would not let it drop.

Anyway, the day came around when he pretty much forced a copy into my hands. His personal copy. He was so happy and so excited and then a week later he got fired. Never saw him again.

Fast forward to a couple months ago. I was trying to convince my wife that what we have is less of a library and more of a hoarding problem. I picked “The Guide” up to make a point about some books being garbage. Turns out it’s a signed copy.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

more like the bitchhiker's guide to glaxy

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
More like Douglas BADams, haha gottem

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Dick Fontaine posted:

I worked with this guy once who was obsessed with convincing me to read The Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy. Probably because I kept lying and saying I’d never heard of the book. Every. single. day. he’d spout off quotes and laugh to himself and then say, “man, o man, you need The Guide you’ll love it!” He was convinced that I was missing out on something real good and important and he would not let it drop.

Anyway, the day came around when he pretty much forced a copy into my hands. His personal copy. He was so happy and so excited and then a week later he got fired. Never saw him again.

Fast forward to a couple months ago. I was trying to convince my wife that what we have is less of a library and more of a hoarding problem. I picked “The Guide” up to make a point about some books being garbage. Turns out it’s a signed copy.

lol that guy probably ruined his life by giving you that book then getting canned

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Yeah it's pretty bad, most of that SOOOOO quirky!!! brit writing like Adams and Terry Pratchett etc, is a cringe black hole

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

im trying to stop giving a poo poo what other people like OP

it can be quite freeing

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

im trying to stop giving a poo poo what other people like OP

it can be quite freeing

It's not about worrying about what other people like, it's about fostering a community of haters

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

who would want to be a hater? twisting like a stir fry? no thanks, not for this OP

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

This is is a good quote, gently caress the haters.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Toxic Mental posted:

Yeah it's pretty bad, most of that SOOOOO quirky!!! brit writing like Adams and Terry Pratchett etc, is a cringe black hole

gently caress you, bitch

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Smugworth posted:

You owe the Oracle one dog-eared copy of Young Zaphod Plays It Safe.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Toxic Mental posted:

You leave Terry Pratchett out of this.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was the first English language book I bought for myself as a young teen and it will always have special place in my heart. I wasn't gonna reply to this dumb thread until I read this

Toxic Mental posted:

You can gently caress right off, Pratchett was a goddamned treasure.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I'm sorry you had to read OP that must have been rough

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Private Cumshoe posted:

I'm sorry you had to read OP that must have been rough

:hmmyes:

My dear feelix,
It's Smugworth here, and I'm sending you a big virtual hug to comfort you in your current state of near illiteracy. I know how frustrating it can be when you can't fully appreciate the wonders of the written word, especially when it comes to a masterpiece like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

But fear not, my dear friend. There are many paths to enlightenment, and just because you may struggle with reading doesn't mean you can't still enjoy the quirky humor and intergalactic adventures of Arthur Dent and his companions.

In fact, did you know that The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was originally a radio show? That's right, you can experience the story in a whole new way by listening to the original broadcasts. And if you prefer visual aids, there's also a fantastic TV series and movie adaptation that you can enjoy.

And if all else fails, just remember that the heart of the story lies in its characters and their absurd predicaments. So even if you can't quite grasp all the nuances of Adams' brilliant writing, you can still revel in the joy and absurdity of it all.

So don't fret, my friend. Whether you're a literary genius or nearly illiterate, there's always a way to appreciate the beauty and wonder of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Keep smiling and don't panic.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

feelix posted:

It's not about worrying about what other people like, it's about fostering a community of haters

:hai:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I liked the movie :(

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The Eagles hitchhikers theme song is the only good Eagles song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Jestery posted:

I liked the movie :(

The movie was great and we should probably ban+30 op for this libel