Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Once every thirty years, give or take some, Margaret disappears.

It’s not the same Margaret.

Probably.

The last one to date, Margaret Blanchard, was a bit different from the others. In the library of Saint Tonquois (a cozy little city in the Mediterranean coast, known for its music festivals and the world-famous Saint Tonquois cake) hidden in a growing pile of floppy disks in the depths of her work drawers, she kept a diary.

---

It’s now 2023. You are an anonymous user of an ever-dying Internet forum. One day, while idly browsing, a particular thread catches your eye:

You start reading it, chuckling to yourself at some of the stories. Then, halfway to page 21, you find this post:

There don’t seem to be any replies to it; the little post stands there, in a little corner of its own, among stories of students, homeless people and friendly dogs. You try to contact the poster, but you get no response. Quoting it in the thread does nothing either – it seems no one knows or cares about Saint Tonquois. Well, you do, since it’s your town! And, apparently, so does the poster that sent you a PM:

Saw your post! posted:

Hi there! I read your post about the library. I did my PhD in Tonquoian history, and I know some people that may be interested in this. Are you in Saint Tonquois too? Want to meet?

It is now some days later. A group of four people sit at a library table, trying to avoid the increasingly annoyed looks coming from the other tables.

---

Welcome! This is an attempt for a simple, not really serious at all, but hopefully quick and fun, narrative RP with a very simple system: All outta bubblegum!. It is also my first attempt at DMing a story (in a forums format no less!) so hopefully you will excuse any clumsiness on my part :ohdear:. I will try to keep things agile and fun for everyone, and correct if they turn out not to be!

In short: everyone starts the game with 8 points. Points do not refill.

• Any non-combat actions roll a d10, and succeed if the roll is equal or lower to your current points.
  • Any combat actions roll a d10, and succeed if the roll is equal or bigger than your current points. Combat against an enemy will have them roll too, with a predetermined number of 5 points for them.
  • Any failed non-combat actions substract one point.
  • If you reach zero, you cannot do any non-combat actions, but will autosucceed at those!
  • If everyone reaches zero, the game ends!

If you roll a 10 or a 1, extra stuff may happen, depending on the circumstances of the roll!

To offset the heavy combat leaning of the setting, I’ve added an extra rule: you can pick a favored skill you are very good at. I’m not giving any lists, you can be as creative as you want; situations that can conceivably be said to use that skill will have a +2 to the roll, and can be attempted even when out of points!

Please follow this format for posting:

quote:

Character name

Narrative text
Actions attempted
Thoughts
(off-character comments to GM)

We will use Orokos for dice rolling. We probably will use Discord for player coordination, too! Will link it as soon as it’s ready :)

---

Who are you?

You can pick any name and background you want! I will need you to also pick a non-combat skill that you excel at – you will get an automatic +2 to any actions that can use your skill, and will be able to attempt a roll for it even if you run out of points. This can also be anything from “convincing people” to “using computers” or “lockpicking” or... well, anything you can think of. Just bear in mind that if you pick something like “scuba diving” you might not get a chance to use it – be practical!

Character sheet and questions posted:

Name:
    Ocupation:
    Background/bio:
    Favored non-combat skill:

Why are you here? What do you hope to find?
    How much do you know about your little town’s history?
    Do you know about the disappearance stories? If so, how?

---

Players and character sheets
I’m aiming to have four to five players, but we can accomodate depending on interest – worst case scenario, we can run with 3! Character sheets will be linked here once they exist, for clarity.
  • Maerlyn
  • wologar
  • Cloacamazing!
  • Opopanax
  • Hal Incandenza
  • Heliotrope

Maerlyn - Pearl Clarkson, ex-librarian posted:

Name: Pearl Clarkson

Background/bio: Pearl is originally from Camden Maine, having worked for the Camden Public Library as Programs Director for 10 years until being caught...in flagrante with a member of the Board of Trustees (one stupid night of drinking and her whole life was irrevocably ruined). Amid the ensuing scandal Pearl took her significant savings and decided to travel overseas, hoping to start a new life in a new country.

Favored non-combat skill: Being charming and friendly. Pearl was gifted with a smooth voice and a calm manner of speaking which is essential in a customer facing job.

Pearl's cousin Meghan lives and works in Saint Tonquois and has raved about the bustling community, offering to help Pearl find a job.

Considering she's a new resident, not very much.

Meghan has mentioned some things in passing but almost as though they are old wives tales or sordid gossip, nothing to really be concerned about.

wologar - Margaret Tingle, Baker posted:

Name: Margaret Tingle
Background/bio: Not a Saint Tonquois natural. Started living here ten years ago after her native Montagnu forbade the operation of all restaurants.
Favored non-combat skill: Twice winner of the Regional Saint Tonquois Cake Contest.

There are fabled recipes, lost to mankind. An anonymous tip has made her believe they can be found somewhere in the depths of the library.

A reasonable amount. After all, she had to study a lot of things locals don't even care about to get citizenship.

Read about them in the Myths thread of an ever-dying Internet forum.

Cloacamazing! - Faust Vernon, Occultist posted:

Name: Henry "Faust" Vernon
Ocupation: Classic Literature student at Saint Tonquois college
Background/bio: Moved here for his studies.
Favored non-combat skill: Occultism

In case you could not tell by his online handle or his poodle Mephistopheles, Faust is super into occult stuff. You can recognize him among his fellow students by his penchant for black trenchcoats, the occult symbols he has sewn onto his bags and the occult symbol jewelry he's sporting. Knowing this much, you hopefully don't need to be told that he also has long hair and a beard and tends to not venture outside for days at a time, instead preferring to post on his favorite occultism forums. Yes, he's single and only has a few friends, why are you asking? Other than finding the truth about this strange forum post, Faust is also aware that every library has hidden illegal books in the depthy of its cellars, and he's sure he'll find something of interest there that will make those trolls fume with envy.

Faust knows everything about the town's history, of course, it was the first thing he researched after getting accepted at Saint Tonquois college. Not the boring stuff from the history books of course, the things they don't want you to know.

Obviously. Did you know that it's the reason "Margaret" is an incredibly uncommon name in this town only? Not the most exciting myth though, not even a hint of supernatural involvement. At least so far...

Opopanax - Mags Obermeier, Courier posted:

Name: Mags Obermeier

Ocupation: Courier

Background/bio: A driver for the Saint Tonquois Delivery Company, and (nearly) lifelong resident.

Favored non-combat skill: As a courier, I know the roads of this city inside out, backwards and forwards, and even a little upside down

Why are you here? What do you hope to find? I was actually just here to pick up something for the weekend when I overheard the group talking and decided to check it out

How much do you know about your little town’s history? About buildings, roads, and anything like that, a bounty. People and such not so much.

Do you know about the disappearance stories? If so, how? Oh sure, anyone named Margaret is going to hear the stories, big part of why I go by Mags. My parents moved here when I was 2 and started calling me that shortly after.

Hal Insandenza - Frank Dominguez, Library employee posted:

Name: Rafael "Frank" Dominguez
Background/bio: Lived here his whole life, never really left or had any interest in leaving
Favored non-combat skill: Complete knowledge of the Dewey Decimal System

Like, where else would I be? I have been in this library almost every day for 12 years running. Got this job when I was in high school, and somehow never felt the need to do anything else, even if Agnes the head librarian can't stand me. Mostly hope to find out what happened to the old card catalog (I've asked every day for about... 12 years) but I wouldn't mind getting into a little mischief.

A LOT! (Can't get enough of those old section 910s and 920s)

Yep, people come here to research them all the time, and it's one of the things we library folk talk about to pass the time when we aren't shelving or helping people figure out how to print double sided.

Heliotrope - Raymond Daniel, Conspiracist posted:

Name: Raymond Daniel
Background Bio: Local nutcase
Favored non combat skill: Vast knowledge and belief of conspiracy theories

We all know about the Margaret disappearances. My theory is that it's an occult thing - a woman with the same name every time? Definite magic poo poo. My theory is that it's a government program to make a powerful wizard or something. Anyway this is a lead in it, so yeah I'm gonna see if this leads to something good! Plus the mods on the forum are being assholes again and ramping my probabtion so I can't update anyone there. Might as well see who else is looking into it.

Oh, I know everything and then some buddy. You ever want to know what the mainstream media is keeping from us? Just ask. For instance, did you know the founders of Saint Tonquois were part of the Illuminati? Look at the town hall. It's known for it's unusual shape but if you look at it and the houses around when it was made, you see the houses of the founders make a triangle and the hall is the eye.

You might have guessed this is sort of my thing. Everyone else likes to live in blissful ignorance but I've opened my eyes to the truths. So what if most people don't like when I talk about it? I'll accept their apologies when I've cracked everything wide open.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Name: Margaret Tingle
Background/bio: Not a Saint Tonquois natural. Started living here ten years ago after her native Montagnu forbade the operation of all restaurants.
Favored non-combat skill: Twice winner of the Regional Saint Tonquois Cake Contest.

There are fabled recipes, lost to mankind. An anonymous tip has made her believe they can be found somewhere in the depths of the library.

A reasonable amount. After all, she had to study a lot of things locals don't even care about to get citizenship.

Read about them in the Myths thread of an ever-dying Internet forum.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm in but I absolutely will not forgive any clumsiness

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I would enjoy being part of this obviously cool group of players and mod

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Name: Mags Obermeier

Ocupation: Courier

Background/bio: A driver for the Saint Tonquois Delivery Company, and (nearly) lifelong resident.

Favored non-combat skill: As a courier, I know the roads of this city inside out, backwards and forwards, and even a little upside down

Why are you here? What do you hope to find? I was actually just here to pick up something for the weekend when I overheard the group talking and decided to check it out

How much do you know about your little town’s history? About buildings, roads, and anything like that, a bounty. People and such not so much.

Do you know about the disappearance stories? If so, how? Oh sure, anyone named Margaret is going to hear the stories, big part of why I go by Mags. My parents moved here when I was 2 and started calling me that shortly after.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Name: Henry "Faust" Vernon
Ocupation: Classic Literature student at Saint Tonquois college
Background/bio: Moved here for his studies.
Favored non-combat skill: Occultism

In case you could not tell by his online handle or his poodle Mephistopheles, Faust is super into occult stuff. You can recognize him among his fellow students by his penchant for black trenchcoats, the occult symbols he has sewn onto his bags and the occult symbol jewelry he's sporting. Knowing this much, you hopefully don't need to be told that he also has long hair and a beard and tends to not venture outside for days at a time, instead preferring to post on his favorite occultism forums. Yes, he's single and only has a few friends, why are you asking? Other than finding the truth about this strange forum post, Faust is also aware that every library has hidden illegal books in the depthy of its cellars, and he's sure he'll find something of interest there that will make those trolls fume with envy.

Faust knows everything about the town's history, of course, it was the first thing he researched after getting accepted at Saint Tonquois college. Not the boring stuff from the history books of course, the things they don't want you to know.

Obviously. Did you know that it's the reason "Margaret" is an incredibly uncommon name in this town only? Not the most exciting myth though, not even a hint of supernatural involvement. At least so far...

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I'm interested and have a bit of a character idea bouncing around my head. I'm also a little busy and will try to edit the sheet here later when I have time. But if it comes to it, don't worry about waiting on me.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Heliotrope posted:

I'm interested and have a bit of a character idea bouncing around my head. I'm also a little busy and will try to edit the sheet here later when I have time. But if it comes to it, don't worry about waiting on me.

Alright! You're 6th, but I think we can have it unless anyone objects :). We're officially closed!

Will try and have a Discord up soon!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

We have a Discord server for the game!. Players and observers both welcome!

Joining it is not compulsory, you can perfectly play and follow through the thread if you don't want to use Discord. We do have some private channels for players, for quicker communication with the GM, an observer room and a common player room.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I’ve got my idea, I’ll put it up later tonight. Really love this setting!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Name: Rafael "Frank" Dominguez
Background/bio: Lived here his whole life, never really left or had any interest in leaving
Favored non-combat skill: Complete knowledge of the Dewey Decimal System

Like, where else would I be? I have been in this library almost every day for 12 years running. Got this job when I was in high school, and somehow never felt the need to do anything else, even if Agnes the head librarian can't stand me. Mostly hope to find out what happened to the old card catalog (I've asked every day for about... 12 years) but I wouldn't mind getting into a little mischief.

A LOT! (Can't get enough of those old section 910s and 920s)

Yep, people come here to research them all the time, and it's one of the things we library folk talk about to pass the time when we aren't shelving or helping people figure out how to print double sided.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Name: Raymond Daniel
Background Bio: Local nutcase
Favored non combat skill: Vast knowledge and belief of conspiracy theories

We all know about the Margaret disappearances. My theory is that it's an occult thing - a woman with the same name every time? Definite magic poo poo. My theory is that it's a government program to make a powerful wizard or something. Anyway this is a lead in it, so yeah I'm gonna see if this leads to something good! Plus the mods on the forum are being assholes again and ramping my probabtion so I can't update anyone there. Might as well see who else is looking into it.

Oh, I know everything and then some buddy. You ever want to know what the mainstream media is keeping from us? Just ask. For instance, did you know the founders of Saint Tonquois were part of the Illuminati? Look at the town hall. It's known for it's unusual shape but if you look at it and the houses around when it was made, you see the houses of the founders make a triangle and the hall is the eye.

You might have guessed this is sort of my thing. Everyone else likes to live in blissful ignorance but I've opened my eyes to the truths. So what if most people don't like when I talk about it? I'll accept their apologies when I've cracked everything wide open.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Name: Pearl Clarkson

Background/bio: Pearl is originally from Camden Maine, having worked for the Camden Public Library as Programs Director for 10 years until being caught...in flagrante with a member of the Board of Trustees (one stupid night of drinking and her whole life was irrevocably ruined). Amid the ensuing scandal Pearl took her significant savings and decided to travel overseas, hoping to start a new life in a new country.

Favored non-combat skill: Being charming and friendly. Pearl was gifted with a smooth voice and a calm manner of speaking which is essential in a customer facing job.

Pearl's cousin Meghan lives and works in Saint Tonquois and has raved about the bustling community, offering to help Pearl find a job. Pearl's come to the library specifically to see if there are any openings as that is what she is most familiar with of course.

Considering she's a new resident, not very much, just what she has been told from Meghan.

Meghan has mentioned some things in passing but almost as though they are old wives tales or sordid gossip, nothing to really be concerned about.

Maerlyn fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 3, 2023

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Faust

It's a lazy Saturday morning in Saint Tonqouis. A soft, fresh sea breeze blows through the yard as you approach the main library building, maneouvering around the kids chasing each other and their parents. They all converge in the small carpeted area set on a corner of the yard, just in front of the lateral building that hosts the kids' section. It seems that there is some kind of open-air activity going on.

The building itself looks pretty much like the rest of the city center - old, but clean, well-maintained and recently given a new coat of white paint. Saint Tonquoians do not like to let things go to waste. You cross by the automatic glass doors and the anti-theft arcs, pretty much ignoring the bored-looking security guard posted near them, and look through the reading room. Maybe you should have asked them to wear something identifying, you think to yourself, but oh well. Your gaze falls on a particular group of three people that seem to be pointedly and politely trying to ignore each other around a table. You head up to them, and catch a few words here and there. It has to be them, right?

To Pearl

You are here on a mission - you want a job. And you have a pitch all ready, one that they will not be able to resist, one that... that does not seem to appeal in the slightest to the, you assume, dark heart of the middle aged, glasses wearing, lady sitting behind the counter. At some point, in the middle of your speech, she gets up and heads to the nearby computers section.

"Frank? Yeah? No, I don't care. Leave that be. Got someone for you"

You cannot really make up the words in the response. They do seem slightly complainy, though.

To Frank

You thought the worst thing you'd have to deal with today would be the malware someone managed to get into one of the public computers yet again. As you hear Agnes call for you to come to the main desk, you suddenly realize your day is about to get even worse.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Faust

Wow. Some people actually showed up?

Assuming it is them, of course. If not, this is going to get very awkward. Taking a deep breath and mentally reciting one of his most relaxing incantations, Faust walks up to the table. "Hey. Name's Faust. You here because you got my message?"

To the players at the table
A young man in his late twenties, clad in black and wearing a trenchcoat despite the warm temperature approaches you. Slightly overweight, brown hair in a ponytail, beard. He has a backpack that seems pretty full. Both trenchcoat and backpack are covered in weird-looking symbols and he wears an assortment of silver jewelry.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Pearl

"Thank you," Pearl says to the receding back of the woman working at the counter. Doubtful that she hears or cares but you never know who is watching, and first impressions are everything.

As she walks away Pearl takes a minute to survey the library. It looks pretty cute, maybe a little plain? Pearl did bring not only her CV but some examples of projects she had been responsible for creating for the CPL. The car show/bake sale, the family movie nights (showing movies that had been adaptations of popular books, of course there was a lot of misplaced anger and cries of *witchcraft* about that Harry Potter movie but the kids dressing up were just too cute), she had also created the display for E.B. White in the children's section, including a large spiderweb she painstakingly crafted at home for hours and delicately embroidered "SOME PIG" in silky thread.

As she was looking around Pearl sees a man wearing a trenchcoat approaching a table of patrons who appear to be deep in conversation and frowns. I hope he doesn't disturb them...I've seen that type before. She watches a bit nervously, also waiting for...the lady said Frank?

Frank appears to have his head buried in a computer tower. Was this person really responsible for making hiring decisions? Maybe this library needs some extra help.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Rafael

“I think maybe this adapter Beeblebrox made might just do the trick, somehow” Frank mutters to himself as he tries plug a dusty old 5.25” floppy drive into the library’s central catalog server.

He looks up in annoyance at the annoying drone of Agnes calling him over to the main desk. With an overly dramatic sigh he crawls out from behind the tangle of wires in the server rack.

He strolls right past Pearl who seems to be about to say something to him but pauses near a table where it looks like the local gaming club or otakus or maybe just some weirdos have gathered together. Casually poking his finger into a network jack on a nearby wall he strains to hear what they are muttering about, but before he can really make anything out Agnes starts yelling his name louder so with another dramatic sigh and glance back at the table he heads over to see what the hell she wants.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Rafael and Pearl

"Finally" Agnes grumbles. "Frank, this is... sorry, what was your name again?" She makes the slightest nod at your answer. "Pearl. This is Pearl. She's here to interview for the open position. Mrs. Garrand is still in Bahamas and Peter won't return from paternal leave until Friday, so..." She makes a gesture that indicates Pearl is very much just your problem now.

"I'll need a detailed report later. Sit wherever you want, but don't disturb the patrons". With that, Agnes goes back to the desk and busies herself with a pile of returned books.

[You two can choose to sit in the reading room, next to the strange group, or go upstairs.]

To Margaret, Raymond and Mags

The arrival of the strange man distracts you all from your small talk. To be completely honest, if you had to imagine someone who is sending "Meet me" requests to strangers in an Internet forum, Faust would be pretty up on the list. You all turn your attention to him as he introduces himself.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 3, 2023

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Faust
8 points

Three people staring at him is a bit too much. Faust slightly wilts.

Really hope I didn't interrupt the local bible study group again.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Raymond

Raymond nods. "Yeah, that's us." He looks Faust up and down. "You a wizard? Self taught or government drone?"

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Faust
8 points for Hufflepuff

Faust inflates again. That's a familiar situation.

"No, I am not a wizard. Or a satanist, thank you very much. I consider myself a student of the occult, an admirer and a bystander."

Mentally reciting a calming mantra, he takes a seat at the table.

Figures I'd get a troll here. Hope the other two aren't like that too.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Everyone:

Courtesy of the risk prevention and evacuation team, a floor plan for the ground floor is hanging on the wall.

[if there is anything unreadable, ask me]

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mags

Having no idea what message the odd weeb is talking about, Mags opts for silently smiling and nodding.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Margaret

Wizard? Satanist? Oh, could he be a... roleplayer? You've heard of such creatures before. Fascinating to find one in a library, of all places. Best to just observe for now.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Pearl

She barely rattles off a "Hi my na-" with an outstretched hand as Frank breezes past her, clearly a man on a mission. After some time the dour woman named Agnes harping at him gets a frustrated sigh as Frank abandons his cables and approaches Pearl at the counter.

"Sorry to disturb you, you seem busy," Pearl says with her best aw shucks type smile. "I won't keep you long, I was wondering if you had any need of help here. I'm just getting settled in at Saint Tonquis and have library experience."

... his name tag says Rafael
??

"Odd..." Pearl mutters under her breath, then slips the social filter back on. "Can we go over my resume somewhere a little less crowded?"

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Rafael

"Help, eh?" Frank says, somewhat distracted by the group at the table. "Well, can you figure out how to get this old IDE interface working with a PCI-E... you know what, never mind."

He sizes up Pearl, who at least seems to have a genuine interest in libraries, which is kind of a rare thing. "How do you feel about capers? Not the nasty little brine balls people like to eat, but the kind where you slowly drive nasty old ladies to drink themselves silly through a calculated plan of low-level terror?" He glances around a little furtively, peering at Faust. "Anyway, yeah, let's take this somewhere a little more... without Agnes" he says, heading for the upstairs.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Pearl

Rafael guides you through the reading room to the ample stairs, the one corner of the room with actual, non obscured windows. A soft spring morning light filters through as you both climb up, arriving at the smaller reading room upstairs.

Rafael takes a look at the few patrons sitting there in complete silence, all of them either reading or fooling around on their phones - none of which makes any sign of having noticed you. Pearl sees him open a lateral room marked with "do not enter" which he signals her to go into.

You are now in a small space with a battered sofa and a small table in front of it, which doesn't look dissimilar to a waiting room. A good number of shelves cover the walls, most of them way more haphazardly filled than you would expect from a place populated with librarians. Two doors open to it, labelled as "Administration" and "Director"

To Rafael

You have keys to Administration, even though your actual desk is down in Catalogation; you don't have keys to the Director's, but you have seen him today and know that if he is not inside, he should be around somewhere, so it may be unlocked. No one is in Administration; Agnes is downstairs and both your colleagues are on paid leave right now, so the office is empty and closed.

You can decide where to head up, or to conduct the talk with Pearl in the small sofa in the waiting room.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Faust

Pointedly ignoring the troll and secretly hoping he doesn't have a comeback for this, Faust adresses the women. "Glad you could make it. Nice to meet you. Should we introduce ourselves maybe? I'm Faust, er, I said that one already, didn't I? Classic lit student here at St Tonquois and a dabbler in the occult."

I know I sent out more PMs than that, but I guess three's not too bad?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Rafael

"Let's borrow the Director's office for a moment, shall we?", casually knocking on the door before trying the knob to see if it is unlocked.

"I'd love to hear more about your library experience, but I'd also like to make this pretty quick because I've got a bit of a secret project I am working on downstairs and also I want to keep an eye on that group that was meeting down there, they don't seem like the reading/studying types."

Hopefully this door is unlocked!

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Pearl

"Oh sure I understand, it just feels strange to have an interview in the middle of a reading area. I think we can make it fast. I just don't know what your needs are here...I didn't even know you had any openings to be honest."

Pearl peers at the shelves while Frank fiddles with the door.

(anything of note on the shelf or just the usual office junk?)

She muses out loud, "that guy with the beard and all the jewelry, he did look a little odd to you too huh? The people he was talking to didn't seem particularly welcoming, I wondered what that was about myself."

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Rafael:

"Sure, come in!" a cheerful voice calls from the inside, and you curse to yourself a little. An older, bald man with a moustache that'd be the envy of several species of sealion invites you into the bigger office, clearly set up for visitors to be comfortable in. Before you can get a word in about the interview, he cuts you off.

"I wanted to talk with you. Mind closing the door?" he lowers his voice when asking you the last part, and gestures impatiently towards his computer. "It's broken" he adds, not very helpfully.

You obey and watch as he shows you a browser window with an official-looking logo. It menaces the reader with contacting the FBI and sending them their full browser history if they don't pay $bitcoin.

"I did do nothin'" the director mumbles. "But it keeps popping up and it doesn't work. Can you fix it?" he adds, with a hopeful voice.

You sigh to yourself. As you try to explain him, for the umpteenth time, what "malware" means, you let your gaze wander around the desk. It's covered in paperwork, with a book scattered here and there. The Director is not known for being particularly tidy. Nor patient. A speck of black, barely concealed under some papers, catches your eye. Is that a floppy?

You eye the Director's computer - he most defintely doesn't have a floppy disk reader, nor does look like the type to know how to set them up.

(You can try to get it; if so, I'll need the action you want to attempt, and a dice roll. If you want to ignore it, and keep paying attention to Mr. Bertrand there, you don't need to roll)

To Pearl:

Well, that was rude, you think to yourself as Rafael disappears into the office, leaving you waiting outside. Your eyes inspect the shelves, and you have to barely repress your librarian instincts to tidy everything up. They are a mess of files, with the occasional loose paper here and there, and pretty much looks like a mix of "Stuff we need to sort", "stuff we just need to forget about for a bit please" and "wtf is this?".

You notice a brown, thin book with an unconspicuous aspect. The title grabs your attention: "St. Tonquois Myths and Legends". You look back at the door - doesn't look like it's going to open soon.

(You can check the book; if so, I'll need a roll to see if you find anything of note there or it's just a bunch of hot air. If you prefer to do something else, no roll)

Shellception fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 5, 2023

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Margaret

"Hm?", Margaret stares at the creature. He seems to have the impression that I'm here because of him! Pfahaa! In your dreams, loser.

"Hi! I'm Margaret Tingle." That's right: THE Margaret Tingle. "I'm looking for some special recipes. What brings you to this library?", she asks with a relaxed smile.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Pearl

Wow what a piece of work! Pearl rolls her eyes as Frank or Rafael walks into the office and shuts the door behind him. This day just keeps getting stranger...

Pearl spots a book about St Tonquois that looks interesting, and now she's alone so why not try to take a peek?

Saint Tonquois book check: 1d10 10

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

First mistake of the game:

OP posted:

Any non-combat actions roll a d10, and succeed if the roll is equal or lower to your current points.
Any combat actions roll a d10, and succeed if the roll is equal or bigger than your current points. Combat against an enemy will have them roll too, with a predetermined number of 5 points for them.

This was written backwards! Non-combat right now succeeds if you roll 8 or lower in a d10, with your favored skill making it 10 or lower in a d10; it was written as non-combat needing higher numbers and combat needing lower numbers, for some reason. A crit in non-combat right now is a 1, while a crit in combat is a 10.

The reason it was backwards is that the game is designed to have you start being good at non-combat, and becoming more and more of a fighting machine as you start failing rolls :v:.

Maerlyn posted:

Pearl

Wow what a piece of work! Pearl rolls her eyes as Frank or Rafael walks into the office and shuts the door behind him. This day just keeps getting stranger...

Pearl spots a book about St Tonquois that looks interesting, and now she's alone so why not try to take a peek?

Since I did write the rules backwards at the time of the roll, I'm taking this as a critpass - from now on, critpasses on non-combat are 1s, tho.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 5, 2023

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

wologar posted:

Margaret

"Hm?", Margaret stares at the creature. He seems to have the impression that I'm here because of him! Pfahaa! In your dreams, loser.

"Hi! I'm Margaret Tingle." That's right: THE Margaret Tingle. "I'm looking for some special recipes. What brings you to this library?", she asks with a relaxed smile.

Faust
8 Points

"O-oh..." Deflating again. "You're... not here because of the... Yeah, makes sense."

Then the rest of what she said kicks in. "Wait, MARGARET?"

Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo. Not good. Not good!

"Okay, you need to leave. Right now. This is very important, you can't come back here until the year is over, do you understand? poo poo, I hope it's not too late already! Hang on, hang on, I got this."

He pulls out his notebook and draws a protective rune on a page with shaking hands, rips it out and hands it to the woman. "This should be done with a special ink during meditation, but maybe it'll help stave off the worst at least. Take it and keep it with you at all times, but especially during half moon."

Which it currently is. Great. His voice has gotten louder and people are staring, there's several angry "Shhhh!" coming from other patrons, but that doesn't matter, there's a life at stake here! He lowers his voice, so as to not cause a panic. "Gods almighty, woman, haven't you heard of The Margaret Curse?"

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Margaret

Oh, my! This pest is amusing, if unsavory. Margaret looks at the badly drawn rune and swallows a sigh. Ok, this could be fun.
She looks up to him: "Oh, thank you, kind sir! I don't know what you mean by The Margaret Curse, but I assure you I have lived a quite blessed life!" What will you say now, you oaf? Her eyes twinkle.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Raymond

"I'm Raymond Daniel" Raymond says as he raises his hand while Faust draws the rune. "We gotta find out what the government wants with all these Margarets." He turns to the woman who introduced herself as Margaret. "Have you noticed any vehicles following you around? Strange background noises when you're on the phone, like pulsing static or high pitched humming? Has anyone close to you been acting weird? Are you getting repair people or construction workers or deliverymen or something hanging around your home more then usual? Anything strange at all?"

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Maerlyn posted:

Pearl

To Pearl:

You quickly eyeball the book. It's simple and dry, even when it's telling you about the "Dragons of St. Ivey's cave" which is apparently located north of Saint Tonquois. There are several paragraphs dedicated to the creation of the St. Tonquois cake; the first one was documented in 1788, and apparently, a popular legend at the time of its creation spoke of an unknown baker who'd made a pact with the devil for the ability to make otherwordly-tasting food. The legend is widely recognized as "bollocks" today, as the cake, while hard to make, has a well known and definitely non-satanic recipe.

There is another, almost cute, small section on the "Lovers" legend - they speak of a series of very simple carvings, dated around mid-XIX century, that were found in several places of the library when the old furniture was replaced. Most of them simply read "LOVE YOU" and there are evidences of all of them having been written by the same hand. While such vandalism is not unexpected in a public building, some of them appeared in the lower levels, out of reach of the general public. Nothing else is known about them, though the book features multiple pictures.

(you get to keep your point since this was my mistake, but note that from now on, a 10 in non-fighting stuff is a critfail)

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Rafael

"Oh sir, this is not good! How many $bitcoins do you have?" Rafael says as he leans across the desk and mindlessly punches a few keys with his right hand as he tries to pilfer the possible floppy with his left hand while the Director stares confusedly at the screen.

Pilfer the potential floppy disk: 1d10 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Rafael:

The director stares at you back, hopefully mostly confused. But as he tries to decide if you're trying to mock him, you've managed to sneak the floppy into your back pocket.

You fiddle with the computer a bit more, ceremonially more than anything else, but you make sure to download a malware remover and leave it running. You also quickly check the system - yup, no floppy reader.

Your mind wanders back to Pearl, waiting outside. Sprouting a couple quick tips about Nigerian princes and inheritances from mysterious lost relatives, you see yourself out, and close the door before the Director can even answer back. At least he did not notice?

Pearl is reading a book, looking lost in thought.