Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

FootballFreak2 posted:

Mariners had a fluke season and a lot of fans forgot they were the mariners, and the team is back to normal now

Two seasons. They won 90 in 2021 too :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

zoux posted:

Also the reason the Pads and Giants were hitting so many bombs:
https://twitter.com/susanslusser/status/1652503234907348992

EW talked about this for a bit. Apparently Mexico City has very different air quality than Denver so cranking the humidor up wouldn't actually do anything. The solution to reduce dingers would be to make the balls sopping wet, which is illegal

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

EW talked about this for a bit. Apparently Mexico City has very different air quality than Denver so cranking the humidor up wouldn't actually do anything. The solution to reduce dingers would be to make the balls sopping wet, which is illegal

I'd've figured the smog would add some drag

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Oh god I just remembered Chan Ho Park

I have come to forgive Chan Ho Park for being terrible because he gave us this: https://youtu.be/6GIEHPGj9sI

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Bandire posted:

I have come to forgive Chan Ho Park for being terrible because he gave us this: https://youtu.be/6GIEHPGj9sI

Me clicking the link : "Yeah, I'd like to see footage of those Tatis grand slams..."

Oh.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
speaking of the Mariners, they're calling up their top pitching prospect (arguably I guess) on Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/JoeDoyleMiLB/status/1653092008372871168

The 2023 Oakland A's are probably the softest landing a pitcher could ever get for their first start so.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Tony Phillips posted:

Me clicking the link : "Yeah, I'd like to see footage of those Tatis grand slams..."

Oh.

Yeah I immediately knew it was gonna be diarrhea

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

N: Logan Taylor Allen pitched in yesterday's loss and only gave up 2 runs in 5 innings of work.

V: Call him up, already, Tito. He's ready.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I missed all of MLB yesterday because of family drama but I'd just like to throw it out there that Eric Hosmer loving sucks and the Cubs currently have Morel OPS'ing ~1.300 (lol) and Mervis ~1.000 in AAA right now and seriously what the gently caress is this club actually doing? Are they intentionally trying to have another losing season? There's 3-4 spots on the roster that are just straight up being wasted for no good reason with better options knocking at the door so hard the thing has come off its hinges and is lying on the ground while the prospects keep miming a knocking motion into thin air.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric Hosmer is a proven winner, a gamer, a clubhouse leader, and he’s on a big star contract so he must be good. What do these young guys know about winning?? Nothing obviously, they can’t do all the little things that Hosmer can! In short, rookies can’t possibly provide his Veteran Presents.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Red posted:

Busting rear end on Balls in Play

What you really want is high BABIP with low TOOTBLAN. You tend to see a lot of overlap with GRIT.

I think my favorite acronym is still TINSTAAPP

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

you should read an entire post before responding to it imho

no I also read the part where because Ted Williams had seasons where his BABIP was 50 points above his career average then Arraez's BABIP being 120 points above his career average is somehow sustainable

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

rickiep00h posted:

Tony Gwynn's BABIP in 94 when he hit .394 was .389 and his career BABIP was .341.

It is entirely possible, even likely, Arreaz could get around .400, even with regression.

you and I have very different definitions of "likely"

care for an avatar bet?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I remember when John Olerud was the last guy to really challenge batting .400 in 1993. I checked his game log and his average on August 2nd was .400! I didn't realize his average was that high so late in the season.

He ended up hitting only a measly .363 lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Luis Arraez is not going to hit .400 this year.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Julio Cruz posted:

no I also read the part where because Ted Williams had seasons where his BABIP was 50 points above his career average then Arraez's BABIP being 120 points above his career average is somehow sustainable
Literally no one said that. Here's how the conversation went.

"Can Arriez hit .400?"

"Well, his BABIP is super high."

"Uh yeah, generally a high batting average comes with a high BABIP."

"Actually, BABIPs doing stay that high over a long enough period, so it's impossible for him to actually hit .400"

"While that's definitely correct, here are historical examples of players who had season BABIPs higher than their careers numbers."

"Why are you all saying that a .452 BABIP is sustainable?!?!"

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Penisaurus Sex posted:

The 2023 Oakland A's are probably the softest landing a pitcher could ever get for their first start so.

Actually the A's are surprisingly a pretty solid offensive team, of all the different facets of their team hitting is definitely the one that most resembles a MLB roster..

It's more that they give up 10+ runs a game which is leading them to lose all their games.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Luis Arraez will actually hit .500 this season.

Source: the series against the Cubs this past weekend

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

hey did any of you all know about spencer spaghet: https://www.milb.com/player/spencer-arrighetti-681293

also my good friend luis is not going to come back down to earth and will hit .400 this year i will not toxx on this

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Starsfan posted:

Actually the A's are surprisingly a pretty solid offensive team, of all the different facets of their team hitting is definitely the one that most resembles a MLB roster..

It's more that they give up 10+ runs a game which is leading them to lose all their games.

Fair, I haven't looked much at Oakland yet.

Miller v. Miller should be really fun to watch.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

"Why are you all saying that a .452 BABIP is sustainable?!?!"

more like "why are you all saying that a season BABIP 120 points higher than previous career numbers is comparable to one 50 points higher"

Bregor
May 31, 2013

In conclusion, Luis Arraez is a land of contrasts

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Oh god I just remembered Chan Ho Park

Did Texas get anything worthwhile out of A-Rod?

I don't remember how much mileage, if any, they really got out of Hamilton.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

zoux posted:

I'd've figured the smog would add some drag

I looked it up, it's not the smog but the humidity. Coors has dry air, so the humidor at 50% humidity deadens the ball like we all know. However, Mexico City during the summer is very humid so balls at 50% humidity would be drier than the norm and actually fly further lmao

A Mexico City humidor would have to be at 90% humidity to have a Coors effect, but that much humidity would cause the balls to absorb too much water and be overweight

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Starsfan posted:

Ruiz is good, somehow, in a really strange way. He keeps getting on base because he keeps taking HBPs.

Bregor posted:

I think my favorite acronym is still TINSTAAPP

Blasphemy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Julio Cruz posted:

more like "why are you all saying that a season BABIP 120 points higher than previous career numbers is comparable to one 50 points higher"

nobody said that

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrMidnight posted:

I remember when John Olerud was the last guy to really challenge batting .400 in 1993. I checked his game log and his average on August 2nd was .400! I didn't realize his average was that high so late in the season.

He ended up hitting only a measly .363 lol

Helton was chasing .400 for quite a while one year.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Red posted:

Ruiz is good, somehow, in a really strange way. He keeps getting on base because he keeps taking HBPs.

somehow I hadn't clued in before just now that he had already gotten on base 9 times off of those lol..

Also I think he tied the A's record for steals in the month of April at 11 with Rickey so that's pretty cool :)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

nobody said that

so why did you compare them

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I ran out of room on my shelf, so I reorganized my bobbleheads to only include 2016 and 2023 Cubs.

owns

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I ran out of room on my shelf, so I reorganized my bobbleheads to only include 2016 and 2023 Cubs.

I have an Addison Russel bobbled head at my office, I should probably get rid of that...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Julio Cruz posted:

so why did you compare them

Well it's probably the thing everyone else picked up on, which is that outlier seasons happen so he might not lose all 120 of those points. And also that cheering for cool things, even if they probably won't happen, is more fun than telling everyone why they won't.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Red posted:

Did Texas get anything worthwhile out of A-Rod?

I don't remember how much mileage, if any, they really got out of Hamilton.

Josh Hamilton?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Tony Gwynn was the last person to really come within spitting distance of .400, with his strike-shortened .394 in 1994. No one else has been above .380 since then. Larry Walker is 2nd best with a .379 in 1999, but he was down in the .350s in August so he didn't have any real shot of hitting .400.

e: A-rod was really great for Texas over the 3 years he was there. Slashed .305/.395/.615 while averaging 120 R, 52 HR, 131 RBI, and 8.5 WAR a season. He 100% lived up to his end of the deal.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 1, 2023

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Well it's probably the thing everyone else picked up on, which is that outlier seasons happen so he might not lose all 120 of those points. And also that cheering for cool things, even if they probably won't happen, is more fun than telling everyone why they won't.

I have no problem about people cheering/hoping for him to hit .400 but the question that I was responding to, which kicked off this whole discussion, was "will he?"

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Julio Cruz posted:

I have no problem about people cheering/hoping for him to hit .400 but the question that I was responding to, which kicked off this whole discussion, was "will he?"

It's May 1st. He COULD, because he is a very good hitter and has a long time for things to come down (or up, who knows!) and he's absolutely the most likely guy since probably Ichiro.

This isn't, like, Will Aaron Hicks hit .400? No. He won't. Will Arraez? MAYBE. His numbers have POTENTIAL to come CLOSE.

That's the entire argument I presented. I don't know how loving dense you have to be to read that as "Arraez will absolutely keep hitting at .430+ forever and will piss on Ted Williams' jersey while he's at it" or whatever it is you think I said.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Many people are saying Nico Hoerner could hit .400

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1653067308594520068

Bauer didn't take long to irritate his teammates

Starsfan posted:

somehow I hadn't clued in before just now that he had already gotten on base 9 times off of those lol..

Also I think he tied the A's record for steals in the month of April at 11 with Rickey so that's pretty cool :)

I can't imagine the HBP thing is sustainable, nor practical, but Biggio seemed to do okay (though Biggio was great at other stuff)

Shinjobi posted:

Josh Hamilton?

Yeahhhh, but looking at his numbers and then his contract, I need someone to explain how he got to Anaheim and then back to Texas, and if Texas actually gambled anything on him or just took him off of Anaheim's hands.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1653123021744357376

That is an insane rehab time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Bauer still being incredibly cringy I see.