Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

Glad some of them are getting some sick days. Just imagine what they could have gotten if they had been allowed to strike!

Yeah tried to find info about what they got and it's really a pittance

quote:

Union Pacific has granted sick days to 47% of its workers, Norfolk Southern to 46%, and BNSF, the largest freight railroad, to 31%. At those companies, eight to 10 of their 12 unions have reached agreements.

But the unions representing workers who operate the trains day to day, such as the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen, have had far less success reaching agreement on paid sick days. “The railroads went to the non-operating crafts first and cut a deal with them,” said Mark Wallace, first vice-president of the Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen. “If a carman [who inspects and repairs railcars] has to call in sick and doesn’t come to work, the train will still run. If the engineer or conductor has to call in sick, the train is probably not going to go that day.”

Wallace said his union was negotiating with the major railroads, but said they were seeking to make it harder for the operations workers than non-operational workers to take paid sick days – perhaps by giving them demerits when they do.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/may/01/railroad-workers-union-win-sick-leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
So is Ken Jeong considered to be scabbing for doing The Masked Singer? Are reality shows an exception? I guess it's not technically acting...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

...! posted:

So is Ken Jeong considered to be scabbing for doing The Masked Singer? Are reality shows an exception? I guess it's not technically acting...

Reality and game shows are under the Network Television Code, which is not struck work. (Also, The Masked Singer was most likely filmed this past spring, long before SAG-AFTRA ever went on strike.)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So I work in vfx and since the writers strike ended we've had people pretty high up in our organizations (think heads of department and regional managers) saying stuff like "the writers have been working all throughout the strikes on their scripts anyway! So production will pick up soon once the actors come back, and we'll be back to full headcount by April."

Today the CEO got on the call, delivering the news that all of those scripts still need to go through many rounds of studio notes which will take months, filming will not resume until March/April, and turnover to vfx facilities won't happen until August. The upper upper management team also announced that vfx was no longer something that could feasibly be done in North America/UK, and over the next few years they would transition all work outside of supervisor roles to India.

yay....

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
:(

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I...guess they're giving you forewarning instead of letting you show up one day to the doors being locked? :smith:

That sucks. I'm sorry for you.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ccs posted:

So I work in vfx and since the writers strike ended we've had people pretty high up in our organizations (think heads of department and regional managers) saying stuff like "the writers have been working all throughout the strikes on their scripts anyway! So production will pick up soon once the actors come back, and we'll be back to full headcount by April."

Today the CEO got on the call, delivering the news that all of those scripts still need to go through many rounds of studio notes which will take months, filming will not resume until March/April, and turnover to vfx facilities won't happen until August. The upper upper management team also announced that vfx was no longer something that could feasibly be done in North America/UK, and over the next few years they would transition all work outside of supervisor roles to India.

yay....

If it's the same company that's being talked about on Reddit, it sounds like they're also trying to scrounge together about $30 million from investors, so it's no wonder they're pivoting completely to a country where they can pay artists $3/hr. Though I wonder if Dneg starting the process of unionizing isn't scaring companies into seeing if they can get away with just outsourcing everything to India before it happens.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The AMPTP has walked away from the negotiating table once more in talks with SAG-AFTRA.

https://www.sagaftra.org/message-your-negotiating-committee-0

I still believe my theory that the bill providing unemployment benefits for striking workers was the main motive behind the WGA’s fantastic deal, and now that it’s been vetoed it seems the AMPTP thinks the strategy of starving out workers is back on the table.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gotta admit, it’s very presidential of him

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Steve Yun posted:

Gotta admit, it’s very presidential of him

lol no its not, he's done 3 dumb idiot vetoes in the past 3 weeks in ways that will absolutely get him wrecked in a national comparison against either biden or pritzker

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Plus I'm given to understand he's a bit like DeSantis in that he's a weird pod person with no actual charisma and running for national office would expose that bigtime

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Robot Style posted:

If it's the same company that's being talked about on Reddit, it sounds like they're also trying to scrounge together about $30 million from investors, so it's no wonder they're pivoting completely to a country where they can pay artists $3/hr. Though I wonder if Dneg starting the process of unionizing isn't scaring companies into seeing if they can get away with just outsourcing everything to India before it happens.

I went to an IATSE meeting last night and yeah it sounds like some of the 2d animation companies IATSE has contracts with have stipulations in their contracts to stop work from being outsourced. So vfx facilities do have an interest in reducing headcount in western locations while they can....

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

He isn't running against Biden but setting up for 2028. Yeah what he has done is really lovely but probably plays decent enough with the decrepit boomer dem primary voting base and definitely plays well with the donor class.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Feldegast42 posted:

He isn't running against Biden but setting up for 2028. Yeah what he has done is really lovely but probably plays decent enough with the decrepit boomer dem primary voting base and definitely plays well with the donor class.

at which point he'll be up against warren and pritzker, probably whitmer or whoever else

people with far better econ and labor leftist creds

and after 4 more years of boomer death

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

at which point he'll be up against warren and pritzker, probably whitmer or whoever else

people with far better econ and labor leftist creds

and after 4 more years of boomer death

and whatever horrible things happen economically in the intervening 4 years.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
That's implying there'll be free elections after 2024.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Big if, that.

It's really weird to be living the death of an empire.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Made this comic last week while SAG was negotiating

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
SAG-AFTRA have reached a tentative deal for a three-year contract with the AMPTP and the strike will be ending at 12:01 am tomorrow. Details on the deal forthcoming. https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/sag-aftra-tentative-deal-historic-strike-1235771894/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
republicans losing on abortion and now hollywood gonna steal their kids again

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Stephen Amell will be wearing a big fake mustache while in public now on.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
If I were a major shareholder in one of the big media companies I'd really want to know why they hobbled their entire production line for months only to effectively give the workers most of what they were asking for anyway.

Like there are compromises but they're the sort of "okay instead of 10 we'll take 8" things that could have been worked out in the first few weeks had you not gone and tried to play hardball.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Maxwell Lord posted:

If I were a major shareholder in one of the big media companies I'd really want to know why they hobbled their entire production line for months

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

If I were a major shareholder in one of the big media companies I'd really want to know why they hobbled their entire production line for months only to effectively give the workers most of what they were asking for anyway.

Like there are compromises but they're the sort of "okay instead of 10 we'll take 8" things that could have been worked out in the first few weeks had you not gone and tried to play hardball.

If you were, no you wouldn’t. The upper class is the only class with solidarity.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Full details on the deal are still not publicly available, but this part about the issue of AI doubles of actors sounds… concerning.

https://twitter.com/JustineBateman/status/1723505358227042601

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

screen shot it. i aint signin up for no musx

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I didn't cap the first post since it's in thread but here's the following posts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m not gonna go and try and unpack everything or argue but the part about filmmakers changing placement of an actor and basically re editing their performance is something that happens a lot and I do wonder if actors are talked too before hand.

There’s better examples but I just think back to George Lucas moving around characters in the phantom menace in post to make their performance work better for him.

I never really thought about it from the actors pov.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLl_LVRkYXA

The first few seconds sums it up basically.

How do actors feel about that?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The light touch AI use (moving facial expressions, actor locations, etc), I understand the concern and is important, but feel less important than other things in the thread. The lack of consent and compensation required for your digital double to appear in certain types of projects just feels like it's gonna lead to studios leaning into those kinds of projects. Same with background actors getting bumped to a larger role but not being compensated because they used AI.

The other thing that people have questions about is that whiles studios can require signing away AI rights as part of your contract. So if you don't sign away your rights, you don't get the role.

It's beginning to feel like the contract doesn't offer nearly the protections people need.

Just putting it out there, but at this point, WGA had put out a spreadsheet of positions at the start of the strike and what was settled. SAG/AFTRA has only really given broad strokes.

Also of note, the WGA contract got unanimous support by the board for approval before being passed on to members for vote, the SAG/AFTRA contract only hit 86%.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Why are the rules for using a digital double any different than using a photograph? It's already a machine copy of you, there are existing laws and standards related to libel and digitally manipulating photos. What about the ease of the new technology presents a true argument for being able to use someone's image without their will?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I imagine it might just be due to Didigoubles being more malleable than photos.

For example, if a Star Wars book wants to show a character from the movies on the cover, they can use any of the already existing promotional photos that Lucasfilm owns, and manipulate them however they want without having to pay the actors or even get their permission (Carrie Fisher used to joke that she had to pay George Lucas $25 every time she looked in the mirror). As an example, before the sequels came out, they did some books that were set far enough after the movies that the characters would be in their 60's. But instead of paying to license a recent picture of Harrison Ford for the cover, they just aged up an existing promotional photo that Lucasfilm already owned the rights to:

But with a movie, you can do a lot more with an image than just make the actor look older. And since films studios own any digital assets created for their movies, the worry is that they'll start populating these digidoubles into other movies that the real actor never signed on for.

Which is actually something that's been happening for years. Here's a shot from the Comic-Con trailer for the 2014 Godzilla:

All the people standing on the rubble are digidoubles from the Harry Potter movies, which were legally allowed to be used because Warner Bros owned the assets. They're so small that you would never notice, but it's still using those actors' liknesses without their permission and putting them into a project they were never paid for.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They should just hire people to be digital doubles. There’s probably so many people that couldn’t give a crap if they end up as a tiny spec in the new avengers movie. Give them a couple grand and boom you have assets all day without having to get sleevy with it

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Those kind of already exist, but they don't get any money for it because it's the VFX artists basing the assets on each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
In theory I don't have much objection to those kinds of digital extras, like sure, Lord of the Rings and Titanic and so on had digital people filling out the background. There is a point where you should just pay some people but that line may be hard to draw at least in a contract. When you get to speaking roles and featured parts and so on, the line should be a lot clearer, just pay the drat talent.