Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Good now someone bully Bill Maher.

into never coming back at all lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Maher is a spite golem, trying to bully him into not restarting his show would just inevitably result in him crying about cancel culture and how society is too woke.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Timby posted:

Maher is a spite golem, trying to bully him into not restarting his show would just inevitably result in him crying about cancel culture and how society is too woke.

He's going to do that anyway.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

With a baseball bat

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Maher's in the same category for me as Andy Dick. I know they suck now and have for a while, but I don't know if they were ever good. I don't know how they got famous in the first place. If they're somwhow surviving on goodwill from earlier in their career, what the hell did they do to get that goodwill?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

He's been riding the "I was the original cancel culture victim" thing since forever which I guess resonates with whatever audience he has left. His show is prob cheap enough for HBO to just rubber stamp his renewal every year and not really give a poo poo.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

I don't know how they got famous in the first place. If they're somwhow surviving on goodwill from earlier in their career, what the hell did they do to get that goodwill?

He appeared many times on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson throughout the 1980s and early 1990s. Back then an appearance on that show was monumental. Imagine if everyone in the US got a text message to check something out right now in 2023. It'd be similar to that.

His show in the 1990s was a new hybrid that brought a lot of different famous people together and had a constant string of big star appearances. He also got a lot of credit for ridiculing all of GWBs nonsense and the wars in the early 2000s. So much so that they killed off his show shortly after 9/11.

With all that said, the show has taken a very big ratings hit in recent years as Maher has slowly alienated more and more of his audience over many issues. A lot of his talking points would fit comfortably on Fox News but he roasts Trump constantly and also insults MSNBCs partisanship as well.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Zogo posted:

He appeared many times on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson throughout the 1980s and early 1990s. Back then an appearance on that show was monumental. Imagine if everyone in the US got a text message to check something out right now in 2023. It'd be similar to that.

His show in the 1990s was a new hybrid that brought a lot of different famous people together and had a constant string of big star appearances. He also got a lot of credit for ridiculing all of GWBs nonsense and the wars in the early 2000s. So much so that they killed off his show shortly after 9/11.

With all that said, the show has taken a very big ratings hit in recent years as Maher has slowly alienated more and more of his audience over many issues. A lot of his talking points would fit comfortably on Fox News but he roasts Trump constantly and also insults MSNBCs partisanship as well.

Ah, so it's Dave Chappelle all over again. At one point, he took an actual stance on something that had a serious professional cost and concluded that anything he did was now brave and against the grain.

I remember the moment I fully grasped what a piece of poo poo he was was when he called trans rights a pet issue for some. He said they should drop it until after the election, offering to drop his own pet issue (marijuana legalisation) in return, which was just such an amazing misunderstanding of both issues and electoral politics all at once.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It wasn't really an actual stance, just edge lord bullshit. His show got pulled because he said the 9/11 terrorists were actually pretty brave to go through with the attacks.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It wasn't really an actual stance, just edge lord bullshit. His show got pulled because he said the 9/11 terrorists were actually pretty brave to go through with the attacks.
Yeah, he said it took a lot more guts to fly a plane into a building then it did to launch some missiles.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Which was a Bill Hicks joke back in the 90s.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Andy Dick was good in Newsradio and not much else.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

whydirt posted:

Andy Dick was good in Newsradio and not much else.

He was pretty good on The Ben Stiller Show, but yeah, that and Newsradio are about it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Maher is the Peter Principle at work in comedy. He was an okay standup who got a panel show on Comedy Central back when every standup got a gig doing something, he was already getting constantly owned on that show, but he parlayed that into being taken semi seriously as a political voice.

I just keep thinking of how at one point Bill Murray called Chevy Chase a “medium talent” and honestly Maher deserves that much more.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Chevy Chase wasn't a medium talent; he is a genuinely good physical comedian and an absolutely smashingly great straight man.

The problem was that he was playing against John Belushi who is both of those, and way more.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Bullying works again!

https://x.com/billmaher/status/1703801159096713583?s=20

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Chevy Chase wasn't a medium talent; he is a genuinely good physical comedian and an absolutely smashingly great straight man.

The problem was that he was playing against John Belushi who is both of those, and way more.

Well yeah Chevy is legitimately quite talented, just also a total rear end in a top hat.

Maher has always been best suited for 15 minutes at the comedy club before the main act comes on.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Bill Maher is the epitome of a smarmy little twerp

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bill Maher peaked playing an unlikeable dweeb in House II: The Second Story

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Bill Maher peaked playing an unlikeable dweeb in House II: The Second Story

It’s definitely his best work and I feel confident saying so despite not remembering much of the movie at all.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Drunkboxer posted:

It’s definitely his best work and I feel confident saying so despite not remembering much of the movie at all.

It has a Catterpuppy! Literally all I remember about House 2. The original is much more fun

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

joylessdivision posted:

It has a Catterpuppy! Literally all I remember about House 2. The original is much more fun

It has a blue collar worker becoming/revealing himself to be a swashbuckling daredevil, complete with pirate saber and all. I saw Brazil around the same time I saw House II, they made me quite excited for the service industry.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bill Maher peaked in ‘91.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7CVcPvnV1E

ChickedTrack
Sep 6, 2023
https://www.deadline.com/2023/09/writers-strike-more-talks-set-1235551840/

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Take everything written by Deadline with a grain of salt

FrankNRank
Sep 24, 2023

...! posted:

Take everything written by Deadline with a grain of salt

https://www.indiewire.com/news/breaking-news/studios-best-final-offer-wga-response-expected-sunday-1234908378/

You were saying???

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Anonymous sources in the strikes have almost always been on the studio side so yeah, grain of salt is definitely still in effect. Negotiations have obviously been productive or I would assume WGA already would've walked away.

Also weird that the studios seem to be in a rush to get this passed after the strike has gone on for 145 days. Wish I could figure out why that is.

Totally unrelated but Oct 1 is the start of the quarter and also Apple and Disney's fiscal year.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

RevKrule posted:

Anonymous sources in the strikes have almost always been on the studio side so yeah, grain of salt is definitely still in effect. Negotiations have obviously been productive or I would assume WGA already would've walked away.

Also weird that the studios seem to be in a rush to get this passed after the strike has gone on for 145 days. Wish I could figure out why that is.

Totally unrelated but Oct 1 is the start of the quarter and also Apple and Disney's fiscal year.

If I had to bet money on a reason the studios are rushing to the table it's that.

Money talks, that's the only thing that motivates them and having to explain poo poo to shareholders is something executives actually dread. Especially after they spread their slates around as much as they could if they keep the strike going they are going to have to explain why exactly they have nothing out in early 2024 (or whenever).

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Still breaking but it appears the WGA have reached a deal. https://www.wgacontract2023.org/announcements/negotiations-update-tentative-agreement

I'd like to see what terms exactly they settled on. I'd rather the strike go on longer than they take a poo poo deal.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

It sounds very much like not a poo poo deal but yeah, i'm willing to wait to hear some deets before passing judgement.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

RevKrule posted:

It sounds very much like not a poo poo deal but yeah, i'm willing to wait to hear some deets before passing judgement.

Are there any rumors about the contract on the grapevine?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I mean, this line in the letter from wga leadership is what I'm basing it off of

quote:

We can say, with great pride, that this deal is exceptional—with meaningful gains and protections for writers in every sector of the membership.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/sej_singh/status/1706137309920252169?s=46

lol

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The bill hasn’t actually been signed into law and would have kicked in only in January. I doubt it had any impact. But it’ll be a nice thing for the next strike.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Vegetable posted:

The bill hasn’t actually been signed into law and would have kicked in only in January. I doubt it had any impact. But it’ll be a nice thing for the next strike.

The original projection for the strike was lasting into 2024 so it absolutely would have had an impact since it would've meant giving the striking union members a huge boost in January.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 26, 2023

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Details available now
https://twitter.com/WGAWest/status/1706823193561067770

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

I am not an expert but this seems pretty loving good. I’m very pleasantly surprised they managed to get the services to budge on streaming viewership numbers.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Pirate Jet posted:

I’m very pleasantly surprised they managed to get the services to budge on streaming viewership numbers.

It doesn't really sound like they did. At best it sounds like it might give them a little extra information when negotiating the next contract, but being unable to share those numbers with their membership seems to take a lot of the benefit away.
Meanwhile, the only viewership-based pay scheme they managed to negotiate seems to be a relatively small bonus for writing something so popular that 1 out of every 5 subscribers watches it. :wtc:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
They're making it sounds likes it's a completely done deal but doesn't the membership still have to vote on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.wgacontract2023.org/the...member-meetings

Full details for the deal