Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
my dad was a great man, husband, and father. he accomplished far more in his life than i ever will. started working at 12 and never really stopped until cancer death, was good at every job he did-- meat packing, sears, 20 years in the air force, physical therapist after leaving the service. as a DPT he often did house calls for shut ins out in the country, and i often accompanied him. he was often the only person these people really "saw" for pretty long stretches of time, and he always spent way more time at each place than his employer required (or wanted him to spend, actually) just to talk. many of the shut ins lived in lovely conditions / were hoarders / their piece of poo poo kids were hoarders or neglectful, and he did what he could to help haul away garbage and clean when he was there. i spent a lot of time helping him with that. i also volunteered, as a teenager, at a nursing home where he worked, at his request. the residents loved him, because as far as i could tell, he was one of the few employees who acted like he cared at all. one anecdote that stands out for me that one of his associates at the time told me about later: my dad basically did free care for a patient outside what insurance would pay, the facility would provide, and that the patient's fuckface son and daughter in law wouldn't pay for out of pocket (they 100% could have easily). he was actually told not to do this (???) by the facility but with the help of a couple of sympathetic conspirators he did it anyway.

when he was dating my mom in college, she dumped him and left town to join a convent that was in the mountains near the school (uni of new mexico). he drove up there, demanded they talk, and convinced her to marry him.

besides his undergrad degree and whatever he needed for his doctorate, he had a few other degrees that i can't recall, nor did he ever explain why he got them, i just know that he had them

he was three years in dying and i gave him the wonderful experience of being able to watch me be a worthless disgusting self destructive alcoholic the whole time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

STABASS posted:

he just did a cartwheel kick. go dad go!!!

your dad cartwheel kicked my dad's head off and now he's dead :whitewater:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

what's with the fail e/n rear end posts itt jesus christ lmao

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
My dad took me to see the South Park movie in theater that was pretty rad

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
He taught me about computers

I think it may have been a mistake

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
My dad took me to see the X-Files movie when I was 12, that was cool. He was also cool about driving me to the offy when I was 16-17 to pick up a crate or two of poo poo beer for me and my friends.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I almost forgot my father-in-law. I hope I don't violate the rules of the thread by posting about him.

He's almost 80 now and is the nicest total rear end in a top hat you'll ever meet. Yes, he is both of those things at once, it's weird.

Anyways, I once watched him and another dad pull an upside down tractor off of a 16 year old kid. Kid survived but ended up in prison so in retrospect, it's hard to gauge how great it was.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Zippy the Bummer posted:

my dad was a great man, husband, and father. he accomplished far more in his life than i ever will. started working at 12 and never really stopped until cancer death, was good at every job he did-- meat packing, sears, 20 years in the air force, physical therapist after leaving the service. as a DPT he often did house calls for shut ins out in the country, and i often accompanied him. he was often the only person these people really "saw" for pretty long stretches of time, and he always spent way more time at each place than his employer required (or wanted him to spend, actually) just to talk. many of the shut ins lived in lovely conditions / were hoarders / their piece of poo poo kids were hoarders or neglectful, and he did what he could to help haul away garbage and clean when he was there. i spent a lot of time helping him with that. i also volunteered, as a teenager, at a nursing home where he worked, at his request. the residents loved him, because as far as i could tell, he was one of the few employees who acted like he cared at all. one anecdote that stands out for me that one of his associates at the time told me about later: my dad basically did free care for a patient outside what insurance would pay, the facility would provide, and that the patient's fuckface son and daughter in law wouldn't pay for out of pocket (they 100% could have easily). he was actually told not to do this (???) by the facility but with the help of a couple of sympathetic conspirators he did it anyway.

when he was dating my mom in college, she dumped him and left town to join a convent that was in the mountains near the school (uni of new mexico). he drove up there, demanded they talk, and convinced her to marry him.

besides his undergrad degree and whatever he needed for his doctorate, he had a few other degrees that i can't recall, nor did he ever explain why he got them, i just know that he had them

he was three years in dying and i gave him the wonderful experience of being able to watch me be a worthless disgusting self destructive alcoholic the whole time

Are you better now? There's a thread in E/N that's very welcoming.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844738

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Lmao it owns that the first few pages is just a parade of permabanned posters

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

my dad is cool. we were for some reason pretty indifferent to each other until i went iff to college and then we became real buds. guess he just didnt like me as a roommate.

he doesnt know this but one time he told a really endearing joke to a friend group of mine which eventually resulted in me getting laid so he is a good wingman too

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hackers film 1995 posted:

my dad is cool. we were for some reason pretty indifferent to each other until i went iff to college and then we became real buds. guess he just didnt like me as a roommate.

he doesnt know this but one time he told a really endearing joke to a friend group of mine which eventually resulted in me getting laid so he is a good wingman too

lol, what was the joke?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

lol, what was the joke?

i cannot recall all of the details (this was almost 20 years ago) but a friend had told a long anecdote involving himself and his roommates (one of which was his girlfriend), and after this long drawn out/complicated narrative my father very dryly said…”wait…so they were living together in sin”

while place erupted. but maybe you had to be there my dad has this way of making anything sound funny. i should call him today

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
my dad is entirely too concerned about hunter biden and his hog adventures but other than that he is an good person

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Nooner posted:

My dad is loving great I really hope I can live up to the example he set for me for my own son

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I’m my dad’s best friend but he’s not my best friend

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

N. Senada posted:

I’m my dad’s best friend but he’s not my best friend

That poo poo bums me out. That happened to me, too.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkcbxjWG9Mc
Luckily I can't relate to this song cause, my dad is awesome

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Really though he was a great dad other than being a workaholic who also made no money somehow, he taught me how to play guitar and would always introduce me to cool music. Love u dad

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Mine sent me rattlesnake tails though the mail on my birthday

At least I know the difference between them and a Bullsnake now

Thanks dad?

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Absolute poo poo father but I know how to swim now too

I guess he did his job

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I probably could have learned without being thrown in a cow pond.

I was 7 seven years old dad put down the bottle

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
My dad's a buffoon. I "ralphed" in an envelope and sent it to him for his birthday :mrapig:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Thread not for me