Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Ayo I’m not the best cook but I love my cast iron pan and my bento boxes for meal prep. Let’s talk about COOKING!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Do everything at a lower temperature for longer unless it specifically needs a sear

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cast iron is the way

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The only problem with my cast iron pan is it's difficult to flick my wrist and flip the over easy eggs I cook in it :chord:

Tonight I made turkey feta meatloaf burgers with horseradish mayo, caramelized onions and spicy mustard. Also a huge salad with lettuce from the garden and a vinaigrette I made in a jam jar

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Soul Dentist posted:

The only problem with my cast iron pan is it's difficult to flick my wrist and flip the over easy eggs I cook in it :chord:

Tonight I made turkey feta meatloaf burgers with horseradish mayo, caramelized onions and spicy mustard. Also a huge salad with lettuce from the garden and a vinaigrette I made in a jam jar

Whoa that sounds really good. This chimichanga recipe has been a recent favorite, leftover heat up nicely in air fryer. The Costco cooked chicken strips are excellent as a filling: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/247151/baked-chicken-and-rice-chimichangas/

ob21
Aug 21, 2017

orange juche posted:

Cast iron is the way

....cast iron is a way, but it's not the only way. American home cooks are fortunate if they know how to use and care for cast iron or any other quality cookware. Most only know cheap, light weight non-stick pans that wear out in less than two years because of excessive heating and misuse. My current preference are the relatively new hybrids, and the popularity of Hexclad is interesting if only because of the Facebook group pages where the cluelessness of many people is on full display everyday. Seasoning a skillet, pre-heating at lower hear settings and controlling oil and surface temps all seems to be too mysterious for some people.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Are you American? What is this weird generalization thing you're doing?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Protip:

The recipe says 2 cloves of garlic. The recipe lies. The proper amount is roughly half of what you have on hand. Face it, you will be back at the grocery store for something anyway, a few bulbs of garlic are a reflex.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Do everything at a lower temperature for longer unless it specifically needs a sear

Sounds like some good advice. I’ll try putting the gas stove on 2 or 3 and seeing how that works. Usually when I cook chicken in the cast iron, it’s chicken breast and I just crank that poo poo up to 4. Heat the pan for 10m (w grape seed oil), cook it up for like 8m or each side so it’s good good, and then I shove stuff into Tupperware or something. Or, if I’m lucky I get to eat some straight away.

Normally I weigh and measure EVERYTHING. Lately I’ve been slacking but I know I need to get back on track.

Another thing I’m fond of is my cheap rear end but effective rice cooker. Love making black rice with it. I’m kinda a brute with it though. Usually I do a tablespoon of butter and a “punch” of salt, ala Al Pacino in Donnie Brasco. Could use some pointers there.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Ohhh Hell YES!, Cast iron is king the upkeep is harder but I clean mine with kosher salt and heat. I use Crisco to seal it again. I have a high carbon steel pan for about once a week use. It is easier to keep clean that is why I use it more. The high carbon steel skillet is better for making one pot meals like white wine and a dark mustard chicken. The handle is metal so you can throw the whole thing into the oven or broiler to finish.

Dutch Ovens, no not the farts in bed,
I suggest making a simple cobbler at first. Throw a can of pie/fruit filling into that thing then a box of old fashioned yellow cake mix and top with a stick of butter sliced on top. Let that cook until golden brown. some people put cinnamon on top. If you can make biscuits without burning them you are now a dutch oven master.

Did I say I love Cast Iron yet?
The best Pork Adovada my wife made us in the Enameled dutch oven. I make a super awesome possum spaghetti sauce in my citified enameled dutch oven. It takes about 2 hours to make the sauce in the oven. I found I don't have to stir my spaghetti sauce if I make it in the oven.

Fuel for your cooking: I grew up using wood coals to cook my dutch oven meals. Plus when cooking over a fire you can burn the dutch oven out instead of washing it. Yeah you can do it that way but the learning curve was high. I then went to charcoal briquets to regulate heat. It is nice using charcoal and I lost some of my dutch ovening skills when I went to the steady heat of charcoal.

Next should I share how dig a pit and cook with your dutch oven overnight?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

stinkypete posted:

Ohhh Hell YES!, Cast iron is king the upkeep is harder but I clean mine with kosher salt and heat. I use Crisco to seal it again. I have a high carbon steel pan for about once a week use. It is easier to keep clean that is why I use it more. The high carbon steel skillet is better for making one pot meals like white wine and a dark mustard chicken. The handle is metal so you can throw the whole thing into the oven or broiler to finish.

Dutch Ovens, no not the farts in bed,
I suggest making a simple cobbler at first. Throw a can of pie/fruit filling into that thing then a box of old fashioned yellow cake mix and top with a stick of butter sliced on top. Let that cook until golden brown. some people put cinnamon on top. If you can make biscuits without burning them you are now a dutch oven master.

Did I say I love Cast Iron yet?
The best Pork Adovada my wife made us in the Enameled dutch oven. I make a super awesome possum spaghetti sauce in my citified enameled dutch oven. It takes about 2 hours to make the sauce in the oven. I found I don't have to stir my spaghetti sauce if I make it in the oven.

Fuel for your cooking: I grew up using wood coals to cook my dutch oven meals. Plus when cooking over a fire you can burn the dutch oven out instead of washing it. Yeah you can do it that way but the learning curve was high. I then went to charcoal briquets to regulate heat. It is nice using charcoal and I lost some of my dutch ovening skills when I went to the steady heat of charcoal.

Next should I share how dig a pit and cook with your dutch oven overnight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa6UfcMWXPI

on some real poo poo though, i really wanna make some peach or cherry cobbler. I don't even know where to get some in NYC. I gotta do it myself.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm going to preach the virtues of sous vide. My girlfriend got me a really nice one about a year ago. It was a good investment on her part because I've been making perfectly tender and juicy steaks, chicken breasts, and pork chops for a year now. Because you're holding constant temperature for so long you can cook the meat much rarer than could could ever be safe on a grill.

Kenji wrote a bunch of sous vide articles for serious eats breaking down different meat types and cuts complete with time and temperature charts.

The one thing souse vide can't do is caramelize or sear. So when I pull it out I'll heat a cast iron skillet till just barely smoking, throw some ghee in it, and then sear about 30 seconds per side for a perfect crust.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm going to preach the virtues of sous vide. My girlfriend got me a really nice one about a year ago. It was a good investment on her part because I've been making perfectly tender and juicy steaks, chicken breasts, and pork chops for a year now. Because you're holding constant temperature for so long you can cook the meat much rarer than could could ever be safe on a grill.

Kenji wrote a bunch of sous vide articles for serious eats breaking down different meat types and cuts complete with time and temperature charts.

The one thing souse vide can't do is caramelize or sear. So when I pull it out I'll heat a cast iron skillet till just barely smoking, throw some ghee in it, and then sear about 30 seconds per side for a perfect crust.

Remember when being lazy was boiling ribs and then tossing them on the grill? Well now you can actually do it properly and still be lazy.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Remember when being lazy was boiling ribs and then tossing them on the grill? Well now you can actually do it properly and still be lazy.

I don't call it being lazy. I call it min maxing my ADHD.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Soylent Pudding posted:

I loved sous vide because the recipes were basically goon-proof when I was just getting into cooking.

I do more frying than is healthy now, and almost certainly use too much salt and oil, but it's hard to stop when it enables my barely competent efforts to taste delicious.

I'm bookmarking this thread and editing my post later with a recipe I compulsively share.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Made Pasta alla Gricia today, came out very nice. Would recommend.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Soylent Pudding posted:

Preach it, Sous Vide is awsome possum also. You are doing it right with the water bath at temp and then searing it..

Edit: Do not start looking at chamber vacuum sealers if you are into sous vide. Next thing I knew I had a 60 pound appliance on my counter. While Very convenient it is heavy as hell. I vacuum seal stew and soup in it also so that is neat. I also am making a batch of full sour pickles ( 3.5% salt water with just cucumbers). Sliced up the cukes and measured out the salt to water ratio.

I really love my vacuum chamber sealer for wet stuff like raw meat or liquids. If you you can only get ahold of a dry vacuum sealer use it. I kept so much food from going to waste aka leftovers that i stored in the freezer. It is cheap.

stinkypete fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 13, 2023

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Made Pasta alla Gricia today, came out very nice. Would recommend.

Recipe Please

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

stinkypete posted:

Recipe Please

I followed this recipe. I cheated and used bacon (you're supposed to use guanciale or pancetta) but it still came out great.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I followed this recipe. I cheated and used bacon (you're supposed to use guanciale or pancetta) but it still came out great.

Pancetta is tasty I like the smoke in bacon. What otherr Recipes can us goons share?

It is spring time maybe some squach or spring onions or tubers.

I can set up something about making tortillas sonoran style.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
For crookneck and zucchini I often make a "carpaccio" with a mandolin. Slice the squash razor thin with the mandolin, and just toss with olive oil, vinegar of choice (I like sherry) and some fresh herbs like parsley and thyme flowers. Crack black pepper over it and use a peeler to shave pecorino over the top.

No cooking necessary, but don't use old or super hearty squash because you've got to try a little tenderness

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Soul Dentist posted:

For crookneck and zucchini I often make a "carpaccio" with a mandolin. Slice the squash razor thin with the mandolin, and just toss with olive oil, vinegar of choice (I like sherry) and some fresh herbs like parsley and thyme flowers. Crack black pepper over it and use a peeler to shave pecorino over the top.

No cooking necessary, but don't use old or super hearty squash because you've got to try a little tenderness

Next time I see some good looking squash at the farmers market, I'm trying this.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Today was Ascension Day, which is - for some reason - a public holiday in my dumb state, and - naturally - we celebrate this very Christian occasion by consuming meat and getting hammered.
So to celebrate the last days of imgur uploads still being displayed without an account, I'll share what I prepared for my good friends.

I'm having some goons over for BBQ next week, and in order to try some new recipes beforehand, I bought some budget-cuts that I wanted to cook up for SCIENCE today.
This morning, a buddy of mine surprisingly invited me to his ASCENSION DAY bbq, and after I told him I was already planning on throwing some experimental meat on the smoker, we agreed that I should go ahead with my plans and just bring the finished meats to his place.

Took me like 4.8 seconds to think about it and agree.

So we have Thüringer Bratwurst, Schweinebauch-Grillfackeln, and an uncut rack of pork ribs to turn into wonderfulness

For any other occasion, I'd properly cut and separate the ribs, but since my only option today was to "prime" the meat with some smoke and taste without being able to properly finish it, I figured I'd leave the whole thing uncut for the insta-clout

Battered it up with my home-made rub, smoked salt, smoked paprika, garlic, pepper, and onions

The fucker barely fit on a single grate on the smoker

Spritzed it with a mix of apple juice, vinegar and soy sauce every 45 minutes

Added the pork-belly-skewers and thuringian sausages two hours in

Progress report half an hour later:

Goods ready to be pulled:

Loaded up all my meats into a cooler, added a couple of bottles with boiling water to keep it warm and then took the whole show into Munich public transportation.
Stank up an entire train cart with delicious BBQ smell, and peaced out before anyone could call the authorities on me.

The guests were ended up gushing over the tasty sausages and skewers, but I was a bit embarassed by the fact that my only option to "finish" the ribs was a tiny gas grill, so I had to commandeer it for a spell

tl;dr: bunch of Germans got BBQ for a Christian holiday that only exists for drinking beer, I served up meat as best as I could but failed massively on consistency due to the available facilities.
Hit me up for my secret rub recipe <3

Also, I can no longer operate heavy machinery.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Today was Ascension Day, which is - for some reason - a public holiday in my dumb state, and - naturally - we celebrate this very Christian occasion by consuming meat and getting hammered.
So to celebrate the last days of imgur uploads still being displayed without an account, I'll share what I prepared for my good friends.

I'm having some goons over for BBQ next week, and in order to try some new recipes beforehand, I bought some budget-cuts that I wanted to cook up for SCIENCE today.
This morning, a buddy of mine surprisingly invited me to his ASCENSION DAY bbq, and after I told him I was already planning on throwing some experimental meat on the smoker, we agreed that I should go ahead with my plans and just bring the finished meats to his place.

Took me like 4.8 seconds to think about it and agree.

So we have Thüringer Bratwurst, Schweinebauch-Grillfackeln, and an uncut rack of pork ribs to turn into wonderfulness

For any other occasion, I'd properly cut and separate the ribs, but since my only option today was to "prime" the meat with some smoke and taste without being able to properly finish it, I figured I'd leave the whole thing uncut for the insta-clout

Battered it up with my home-made rub, smoked salt, smoked paprika, garlic, pepper, and onions

The fucker barely fit on a single grate on the smoker

Spritzed it with a mix of apple juice, vinegar and soy sauce every 45 minutes

Added the pork-belly-skewers and thuringian sausages two hours in

Progress report half an hour later:

Goods ready to be pulled:

Loaded up all my meats into a cooler, added a couple of bottles with boiling water to keep it warm and then took the whole show into Munich public transportation.
Stank up an entire train cart with delicious BBQ smell, and peaced out before anyone could call the authorities on me.

The guests were ended up gushing over the tasty sausages and skewers, but I was a bit embarassed by the fact that my only option to "finish" the ribs was a tiny gas grill, so I had to commandeer it for a spell

tl;dr: bunch of Germans got BBQ for a Christian holiday that only exists for drinking beer, I served up meat as best as I could but failed massively on consistency due to the available facilities.
Hit me up for my secret rub recipe <3

Also, I can no longer operate heavy machinery.

I See nothing wrong with this post. It was Beautiful

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Most disappointing ribs (consistency-wise) i made in a long while btw. But when you have nothing but a tiny gas grill to finish them off, you gotta make do

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Taste was on the loving money though, ngl

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Continuing my attempts at reverse sear with two scotch fillets

I put it in the oven at the lowest it would go - around 90 - until 50C internal (rare temp for you uninitiated). Then I blasted the pan up to the internal temperature of an M class star and seeeeeeeared that poo poo for a solid minute each side

Pictured: the delightfully rare inside and the seared crust with all those delicious maillard reactions

I was very pleased with the outcome but only awarded it 8/10 because it was inexplicably one of the chewiest bits of scotch I can remember eating

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I feel like I'm late to the party on this one, but I just discovered the wonders of Flavacol, the One True Way to make popcorn.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I feel like I'm late to the party on this one, but I just discovered the wonders of Flavacol, the One True Way to make popcorn.

Yo, use that sparingly, it does not gently caress around.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nuclear Tourist posted:

A single container of flavacol will last a lifetime, its the essence of movie theater popcorn but you really don't need much for a huge amount. I basically use a cheap salt shaker with slightly larger than usual holes for it if im topping it in a bowl. If I'm putting it in an entire pot of popcorn (yes I do mine stovetop with a bit of oil) ill measure it out of the shaker and then pour it in after the pop.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 5, 2023

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I love this stuff, it's like hyper-concentrated butter-MSG for popcorn. Better living through chemistry.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The first time I used it I completely misjudged how much I should use and overdosed on it so hard like 40% of my tongue became numb for half a day.

I couldn't stop eating the popcorn even as I was experiencing what was happening.

So it's working as intended, is what I'm trying to say here.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Seriously if you usethe recommended amount for a half a cup of kernels that box will last about 4 years

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
I need help spicing up my life as far as cooking chicken breast goes. Anyone got some favorite recipes or seasonings I should incorporate? Simple is best. Healthy but tasty is the goal. Appreciate y'all.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Dry rubs. Find a style you like and sprinkle it on. I would start with Cajun or something but that's just me

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Dry rubs. Find a style you like and sprinkle it on. I would start with Cajun or something but that's just me

This is a great idea. Make the runs yourself though. The premade crap is loaded with salt. Making your own will allow you to dial the salt back, add some MSG for bonus flavor, and really let the spices shine.

Also, look into Indian food and consider skinless thighs, they are packed with a great flavor and avoid the texture issues that some breasts get

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

ASAPI posted:

This is a great idea. Make the runs yourself though. The premade crap is loaded with salt. Making your own will allow you to dial the salt back, add some MSG for bonus flavor, and really let the spices shine.

Also, look into Indian food and consider skinless thighs, they are packed with a great flavor and avoid the texture issues that some breasts get

Bet to both of y’all. Appreciate it. Gonna go seasoning shopping tomorrow. I’m pretty sure there’s an appropriate supermarket somewhere in queens for this.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

My current goto dry rubs are the Trader Joes coffee-garlic and their Georgian Ajika.

Also keep some dry vermouth in the fridge if you're searing it in the pan. Splash of vermouth, pat of butter, and whatever fresh herbs you have make for an instant delicious sauce.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Soylent Pudding posted:

My current goto dry rubs are the Trader Joes coffee-garlic and their Georgian Ajika.

Also keep some dry vermouth in the fridge if you're searing it in the pan. Splash of vermouth, pat of butter, and whatever fresh herbs you have make for an instant delicious sauce.

Is there anything you can do with flat champagne by chance? It’s an oddly specific request so let me explain: I found out that, despite Saran wrapping the mouth of the bottle, the big bottle of veuve clicquot was bound to go flat on me. Naturally I dumped that poo poo and cut my next drinking adventure short.

But I wonder if I coulda just used the not-bubbly for something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Leave it out and get champagne vinegar!