Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

What’s this then?
Cultist Simulator is an indie video game created by two-person outfit Weather Factory. Its frequently-janky card-based gameplay isn’t to everyone’s taste but the setting, writing and atmosphere of mystery and discovery are exactly my bag so I’ve wanted to create something based on it for a long time. And here we are!

No prior knowledge of the setting is required to play. The flavour does however borrow heavily from the game so consider this a :siren: spoiler warning :siren: if you choose to participate.

General Information
This is a flavour-heavy (but not flavour-solvable), role-madness-kind-of (you’ll see) Mafia game for 16 players. It’s my first game so liable to be wildly imbalanced, but I hope it will be fun. Shellception and Captain Foo both read through it and their feedback and suggestions have hopefully made it slightly less terrible. Any remaining terribleness is entirely on me. No mod bastardry, I promise.

Days will last 48 hours, nights will last 24 hours plus or minus whatever seems best to keep the day start times consistent. Day starts will be at approx 10pm BST (= 9pm UTC/5pm EDT).
:siren: For mechanical reasons it is important that the day start time be as convenient as possible for everyone, so if it’s really bad for you (e.g. you’d normally be asleep or otherwise unable to access the thread) please say so! :siren:

Eliminations will be by majority vote with hammer once majority is reached. No-elimination days are possible.

Rules and Regulations
Standard rules apply.
  • Discord is required to play. Please join >> THIS DISCORD SERVER HERE << (observers also welcome).
  • Do not edit posts.
  • Do not post while dead, at night, or between hammer and flip.
  • Do not quote or copy-paste out-of-thread information like moderator messages or private chats. Paraphrasing the contents of such messages is okay.
  • Do not discuss the game with anyone outside of authorised channels.
  • Do not fake day actions. This game has plenty of them but they are all stated upfront.
  • Do not lurk. Less than 10 posts per game day will result in a warning, repeat lurking to more serious consequences. This minimum is reduced to 5 posts if the day ends more than 12 hours before deadline and removed entirely if the day ends more than 24 hours before deadline. Certain circumstances occurring in the game may temporarily remove this restriction.
  • Have fun and treat fellow players as human beings.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, always remember that your mental well-being is more important than a forum game. While antagonism and deceit are inherent features of social deduction games, there are lines that should not be crossed that may be highly personal. If you feel stressed out, abused, angry, or in any other way discomforted beyond what you feel is part of the game, do not hesitate to reach out and say so. Nobody will think ill of you if you have comments or concerns, or want to leave the game at any point, before the game or during the game. The following users have been suggested as points of contact if you do not feel you can reach out to me: The Traditional Games forum moderators, Leperflesh and Antivehicular; and Mafia regulars VoodooFly, Hal Insandenza, Bifauxnen, Monathin, Wologar, Maerlyn, EccoRaven, CCKeane, Opopanax, Sandwolf and Shellception.

Prelude

A solemn night in a candle-lit Mithraeum. Initiates have celebrated the Mysteries here for almost two thousand years. The words change, the gods change, but always, eventually, there is blood.

The sixteen inner disciples stand in their places within the complex design inscribed on the floor. The proper words are said. The proper items, procured at great cost, flare blindingly with the Principle of Lantern, a reflection of the Glory that stands above the Mansus.

Neville and Enid, hands joined, stare into the shadows, seeing what others do not. All openings are doors, and all wounds are openings.

The blessed athame descends. Their leader screams, blind, ecstatic. It is an invocation to the Watchman, guardian of the Tricuspid Gate. Accept him! Take their offerings. Here is a Long in the making!

Braziers flare. Pigments sputter. Tools disintegrate. The leader’s back arches as the merciless light falls upon him. Then he collapses to the floor.

Maugrim, SELF-aligned Cult Leader, was struck down Night 0 by a sabotaged rite of immortality!

quote:

Knowledge: You know the Rite Intercalate, which will allow you to transcend the bonds of mortality and become a Long. Successfully enacting this ritual requires a total of 21 of your native Principle, plus 6 of each adjacent Principle.

You have an affinity for Lantern, the Principle of knowledge and mercilessness. You will contribute 10 points of it to any ritual you participate in.

The dismayed cultists stare silently at their fallen leader. One steps forward, checks for life signs: shakes her head.

Distrustful glances are thrown. There is no question of disbanding: they have come too far to turn their back on the invisible arts. But it is now clear that some amongst them are inimical to their organisation.

Hunters. Infiltrators from the Suppression Bureau.

Ysabet steals away with the body. It will never be discovered. The disciples disperse to act out their daytime roles. They will reconvene tomorrow night and, in the throes of their practice, perhaps the infiltrators will make themselves known.

Mechanics
During the Day phase, each player may take one of the following five actions. Actions must be submitted publicly in the thread and will be processed during the course of the day as mod presence permits, so they cannot be changed once chosen (unless you accidentally choose one that has run out of uses).

:siren: The limited-use actions are available on a first come, first served basis! :siren:

##study (max 2 per day)

”I never ask the names of my clients,” says Miss Morland, proprietress of Morland’s Bookshop. “But I won’t have more than two of you cluttering up my back rooms at once.”

This place took some finding. Hopefully I’ll learn something useful.

##explore (max 2 per day)

There are places within the City where one might seek locations or items of importance to the Occult Arts. But if too many enquiries are made at once, questions might be asked.

##talk (max 3 per day)

I’ll stay behind as the others leave, slipping into the cramped vestry to await a trusted friend. Do I truly trust them? Perhaps they’ll reveal something. (This is the only way to pass items and coins between living players.)

##work (unlimited)

The practice of the invisible arts is expensive. I need coin to further my pursuit, and the world demands that I labour for it.

##dream (unlimited)

I have been my deceased leader’s disciple long enough to know the paths of dreams. I long ago discovered the way to the Wood, where the Velvet holds sway. Someday I’ll travel further yet.

----------------

During the Night phase, players will jointly attempt to enact an occult ritual. Details of this mechanic will be provided once the first night begins.

Player List:
  1. AnonymousNarcotics (they/them)
  2. CubicalSucrose
  3. Deadmeat5150
  4. Diqnol
  5. fool of sound
  6. Idle Amalgam
  7. Jen X (She/Her)
  8. Jezza of OZPOS
  9. Johnny Keats
  10. Punkreas
  11. saladscooper (he/him) / Rhymes With Clue
  12. Sandwolf (He/Him)
  13. t a s t e
  14. Tired Moritz
  15. Toalpaz (She/Her & They/Them)
  16. wins32767

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

:henget:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
[quote="t a s t e" post="531818069"]
[/quote

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Real talk. I started playing this game again, and I got fairly far in the ghoul event and by fairly far I mean I had created the canvas. But they should just tell you you know the basic stuff someone the game. I kind of hate them for that. And also I don't like how I don't know how to get new... Knowledge , and leveling up. My knowledge is unclear. I shopped it all the books in the game, but that only gets you like level one or two for all your knowledge is.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Ghoul is actually the one ending I haven’t played but you can study 2 identical lore together to upgrade them. Or do expeditions to find better books

Yeah it doesn’t hand you anything on a platter. It took me 3 deaths to notice I could pause the game :rip:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Maugrim posted:

Ghoul is actually the one ending I haven’t played but you can study 2 identical lore together to upgrade them. Or do expeditions to find better books

Yeah it doesn’t hand you anything on a platter. It took me 3 deaths to notice I could pause the game :rip:

Thing is that, I had like 9 followers but they were all like lantern 2, knives 2 and couldn't pass any expedition encounter. I managed one.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

In, I suppose. We'll see if I've recovered enough mojo to do 3 at once.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Toalpaz posted:

Thing is that, I had like 9 followers but they were all like lantern 2, knives 2 and couldn't pass any expedition encounter. I managed one.

Did… did you manage to found a cult? I think that provides the route to stronger disciples. It’s been a while since I played the base game though (the Exile expansion is a completely different game)

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
[quote="t a s t e" post="531818069"]
[/quote

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy
I'm terrible at the game but love the aesthetics and writing, sign me up for this

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

So I keep seeing quotes that drop the last ] from a variety of people. What's going on with those/how does it happen so often these days?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

wins32767 posted:

So I keep seeing quotes that drop the last ] from a variety of people. What's going on with those/how does it happen so often these days?

This one is kinda weird.

My working assumption has been that "removing the last ] actually makes it a 'real' post and means people won't have to retype ##vote Wins or whatever, and they generally agree with whatever case/logic/etc was made within the other portion of the quote."

Also I'm NOT signing up yet, but following this thread with great interest.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

wins32767 posted:

Sugar's explanation is accurate. It's just a lazy thing lol. Sometimes to comical effect in the context of its usage in a game.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I greatly enjoy the flavor and worldbuilding of cultist sim even if I hate the gameplay

I don’t wanna play 2 games at once so consider this a tentative signup, but only if I die in somber’s game first

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
That’s cool, it feels unlikely that this game will start before most/all of the currently running ones are done.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

SIGNup

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Good news I died and can now commit to this

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
New player/mod solidarity, I'll actually sign up for this.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

CubicalSucrose posted:

New player/mod solidarity, I'll actually sign up for this.

:respek:

Half full yay

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Im in

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
tastes game i played in was so good i want to murder them as thanks so sign me up. i adored the vibe of cultist simulator despite it having a bunch of obscure annoying mechanics and the dlcs being even more confusing

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'll do this one

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
I'll play

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Thanks to everyone who signed up so far! I'm excited to run this. However, I'm also away on holiday from Monday to Friday next week and don't want to open my first modded game on my phone, so I'll make it official: the earliest this game will start is now Saturday, 3rd June. So feel free to sign up to some of the other games while you wait!

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Ok now that I have tried, loved, and gave up/uninstalled this game, I'll sign up.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Ok now that I have tried, loved, and gave up/uninstalled this game, I'll sign up.

I love this post, welcome to the cult society of the hidden arts

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I'm back home now and can run this game as soon as it fills. 3 more!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
In an attempt to entice signups, I've added the Prologue flavour and details of the day mechanics to the OP. I'll briefly recap the latter when Day 1 officially starts.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

I join because this has been recruiting for so long.

I did not read the OP

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy
Oooooh Day actions

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I’ll join

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Guys, ask Maugrim to give me two roles I can gollum my way through the game

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
And we're filled! Love you all, get in Discord folks!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Reposting from the OP as nobody reads the OP:

A solemn night in a candle-lit Mithraeum. Initiates have celebrated the Mysteries here for almost two thousand years. The words change, the gods change, but always, eventually, there is blood.

The sixteen inner disciples stand in their places within the complex design inscribed on the floor. The proper words are said. The proper items, procured at great cost, flare blindingly with the Principle of Lantern, a reflection of the Glory that stands above the Mansus.

Neville and Enid, hands joined, stare into the shadows, seeing what others do not. All openings are doors, and all wounds are openings.

The blessed athame descends. Their leader screams, blind, ecstatic. It is an invocation to the Watchman, guardian of the Tricuspid Gate. Accept him! Take their offerings. Here is a Long in the making!

Braziers flare. Pigments sputter. Tools disintegrate. The leader’s back arches as the merciless light falls upon him. Then he collapses to the floor.

Maugrim, SELF-aligned Cult Leader, was struck down Night 0 by a sabotaged rite of immortality!

quote:

Knowledge: You know the Rite Intercalate, which will allow you to transcend the bonds of mortality and become a Long. Successfully enacting this ritual requires a total of 21 of your native Principle, plus 6 of each adjacent Principle.

You have an affinity for Lantern, the Principle of knowledge and mercilessness. You will contribute 10 points of it to any ritual you participate in.

The dismayed cultists stare silently at their fallen leader. One steps forward, checks for life signs: shakes her head.

Distrustful glances are thrown. There is no question of disbanding: they have come too far to turn their back on the invisible arts. But it is now clear that some amongst them are inimical to their organisation.

Hunters. Infiltrators from the Suppression Bureau.

Ysabet steals away with the body. It will never be discovered. The disciples disperse to act out their daytime roles. They will reconvene tomorrow night and, in the throes of their practice, perhaps the infiltrators will make themselves known.

It is now Day 1. As stated in the OP, you may each post one day action in the thread from the following list:

##study (max 2 per day)
##explore (max 2 per day)
##talk (max 3 per day)
##work (unlimited)
##dream (unlimited)

If you post a day action that has already run out of uses, you may post another. You cannot otherwise change your initial choice.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 5, 2023

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

##explore

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (16): AnonymousNarcotics, CubicalSucrose, Deadmeat5150, Diqnol, fool of sound, Idle Amalgam, Jen X, Jezza of OZPOS, Johnny Keats, Punkreas, saladscooper, Sandwolf, t a s t e, Tired Moritz, Toalpaz, wins32767

With 16 alive, it's 9 votes to execute. There is currently no deadline set.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

##study

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
##explore

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*