Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i watched 2 episodes of this show and thats enough to extrapolate the entire plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I actually do find the show wholesome and y'all can suck my brown rubber band

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

it’s based on the BBC drama “Theodore Lasonne” about a wealthy spice merchant who buys an Indian cricket team (he owns the people themselves).

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

GolfHole posted:

i watched 2 episodes of this show and thats enough to extrapolate the entire plot

What do you think happened to the characters in season 3

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

The Bramble posted:

they learn valuable life lessons about not letting past trauma define them and bond while avoiding any real conflict or messiness because Ted's earnest good nature is infectious

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Bramble posted:

Ted and Apple TV+ continue to mend the great national wound that was January 6th 2021

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Bramble posted:

They beat the Yankees in a one game playoff and clinch the division title.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Ted Wassanasong, husband of Cindy Wassanasong and father of Chane Wassanasong, is an affluent Laotian-American who both Kahn and Minh admire and envy. He is a high member of the Nine Rivers Country Club and a member of the Arlen booster club.

In season 10's Orange You Sad I Did Say Banana? it is revealed that Ted's purpose for accumulating wealth and political influence is to assist rebel groups dedicated to overthrowing the Communist government of Laos.

The Souphanousinphone family often makes attempt to please or even impress Ted and Cindy, in order to be noticed in the Asian community or even to be members of the exclusive Nine Rivers Country Club, as Ted and Cindy are notable members. These plots end up with Kahn and Minh using expensive vanities, such as cuban cigars.

In "A Man Without a Country Club," Kahn reveals that Ted Wassanasong knows how to speak "Chinese" (Cantonese) as Kahn was unable interpret the conversation between Ted and Mr. Ho.

His son, Chane Wassanasong, is a somewhat smart yet boorish student at Tom Landry Middle School, who often bullies Bobby and attempts to date Connie. For this reason, particularly to have his son to marry a Laotian, as seen in Naked Ambition, he has a small relationship with the Souphanousinphone family, but his wife has not shown any endorsement of Chane's interest in Connie. In fact in the episode "A Man Without a Country Club" Cindy mentions to Ted that they have actually forbidden Chane from dating Connie.

Ted is bilingual, being able to speak in English and in Chinese (shown when he talked to Mr. Ho).

The design of Ted may refer to Li Ka Shing, a famous real estate tycoon in Hong Kong.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mirage posted:

There are two more episodes after this, OP.

And you'll watch them, too, won't you.

You gotta be loving kidding.

I'm pretty sure we are done after this newest episode.

Didn't pay for Apple TV. Got some freebie deal off slickdeals.

And whoever said this season has retroactively made S1 bad is correct.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

when i had a free month of apple's tv thing i couldn't get past the first episode of ted lasso, it was a boring badly written show op. same thing with the space race show, except i think i sat through 2 episodes of that garbage.

i did enjoy most of Foundation though, especially the parts with Lee "Elf King Thranduil" Pace. some of the other parts were weak and i probably won't bother with season 2, but the emperor scenes were worth checking out.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

you know with nobody actually bothering to say what makes it bad all this vagueposting seems almost like a lovely stealth campaign to get people to watch it

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Wait stop. Hold on. Apple makes TVs now?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

crapple

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
isn't this show about sports balls? obviously it's gonna suck, what did you fools expect

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Rockman Reserve posted:

you know with nobody actually bothering to say what makes it bad all this vagueposting seems almost like a lovely stealth campaign to get people to watch it

Ok. Here ya go:
S1 episodes are quick sit com style things that also have a feel good charm to them. A successful NCAA football coach whose wife has separated from him is hired by a run down soccer team in London. The owner of that team took the team from her womanizing ex-husband in the divorce and wants to see him suffer so thinks Ted, the coach, will ruin the team. Of course he doesn't. His is a typical fish out of water story, as well.

The first season is fun, for the most part.

In S2, the teams locker room attendant makes a suggestion for a play in a game and it works. So they promote him to assistant coach for some reason. Then that guy gets mad when the teams aging star retires and becomes a coach, as well. So he gets mad and goes off and gets hired by the womanizing ex-husband to be the coach of his new team. A more successful, larger team. That's how S2 ends. It was bad.

In S3, they spend a ton of time trying to give this bozo redemption. Oh yeah, and he's the best coach in the league for reasons? They give him a relationship with a girl who has treated him with nothing but disdain to that point in the show. That's the biggest problem with S3, really. Tons and tons of scenes of this guy whose story makes no sense at all. It's some of the worst TV I've ever seen and it just keeps popping up for roughly 20% of every episode. And epidoes are now twice as long.

There's lots of other good and bad stuff, but there ya go.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Borscht posted:

Werner Herzog voice:
"Ted lasso is a gateway to mass self delusion. We began our journey to collective madness when the hot boss lady experienced a sexual awakening. It will end with the death of our soul."

Lol

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Caesar Saladin posted:

The entire show is just those cute character moments that shows put in occasionally, but its just scene after scene of them. Its like 90% of the show, characters telling eachother how they appreciate them or doing something that shows how much they've grown. The first season had its moments but jesus its beyond salvation now.

Yup, like late seasons of Parks & Rec.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
"Mel Brooks once said tragedy is when I cut myself with a razor blade, comedy is when I fall down an open manhole cover and die. Ted Lasso is the opposite: Its comedy when I'm mildly inconvenienced, and tragedy when a bunch of fat LARPing proud boys go walkabouts in the capitol building."

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
The show owns and you're dumb and wrong

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
oh btw right wingers loving hate this show so you have to love it or you're a fascist or something

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Jelly posted:

The show owns and you're dumb and wrong

i wouldn't just be out and proud about having the worst loving taste in the world but you're stunning and brave for doing it

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
isn't teddy lassos the meet the press guy

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Costco Meatballs posted:

Severance (weird sartre sci fi) and For All Mankind (alt-history space sci fi) are two great shows on Apple.

This is a good take, but after season 2 of for all mankind it’s optional to continue.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Waltzing Along posted:

I've only seen season 1, glad you posted this so I won't be tempted to watch the rest :respek:

But what specifically was so bad about this episode that it forced you create a thread about it?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Hyrax Attack! posted:

This is a good take, but after season 2 of for all mankind it’s optional to continue.

good, I really liked season 1/2 but had zero desire to watch three after two's finale (not in a bad way)

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

The show is really good and chill you stupid counts

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ape Fist posted:

"Mel Brooks once said tragedy is when I cut myself with a razor blade, comedy is when I fall down an open manhole cover and die. Ted Lasso is the opposite: Its comedy when I'm mildly inconvenienced, and tragedy when a bunch of fat LARPing proud boys go walkabouts in the capitol building."
I hope Felix gets his adderal prescription filled and Chris comes back from vacation or whatever, the mixing on that episode and Felix constantly screaming into his mic over the other hosts was harsh

e: it felt like the chapo boys really wished they were watching 'The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret.' It pretty much is the show they kept saying they wished Lasso was. A hopeless American optimist being chewed up by the UK after he's set up for failure and mean spirited sociopaths making others miserable.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 18, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I only watch shows that are laden with misery and violence op

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why does Greg, the largest Roy, not simply eat the other four?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

in my opinion, everyone should just alternate between watching twin peaks and deep space nine for the rest of their lives

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Is Dwight in this

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Ok. In S3, they spend a ton of time trying to give this bozo redemption. Oh yeah, and he's the best coach in the league for reasons? They give him a relationship with a girl who has treated him with nothing but disdain to that point in the show. That's the biggest problem with S3, really. Tons and tons of scenes of this guy whose story makes no sense at all. It's some of the worst TV I've ever seen and it just keeps popping up for roughly 20% of every episode. And epidoes are now twice as long.

The biggest problem with the 3rd season is introducing characters or plots for existing characters, making them a sizable part of a number of episodes, and then abruptly and completely discarding them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

I've only seen season 1, glad you posted this so I won't be tempted to watch the rest :respek:

But what specifically was so bad about this episode that it forced you create a thread about it?

You kinda have to see it in context. But to draw a random thing:

Dani and Van Damme get selected to play for their countries teams. Dani, who has been pretty much the nicest character on the show, goes full heel. It's completely out of nowhere and inconsistent with his character. It's supposed to be played for laughs but isn't remotely funny. There are 4 scenes devoted to this.

Also, as usual, everything involving Nate is awful and stupid.

The Nigerian billionaire stuff is stupid, too. He was dumb in S2 but is worse here in his cameo because he is a cartoon villain on a live action show.

There's a whole 2 minutes devoted to Roy walking around in a tie dye and no one says a word, they just make funny faces. Again, played for humor but not funny at all.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Waltzing Along posted:

And epidoes are now twice as long.

Yeah to be honest this was my issue with season 2. I count put up with and even enjoy it when it was just 20 minutes long but now that they’re pushing an hour a piece its just become a massive slog

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Lister posted:

The biggest problem with the 3rd season is introducing characters or plots for existing characters, making them a sizable part of a number of episodes, and then abruptly and completely discarding them.

they also made a long storyline out of keelys PR business where nothing mattered and she barely interacted with the main cast all season. then it all turns out ok in the end for her anyway cos her best mate is a millionaire and can just pay for her business. farrrrt.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
oh wait bill lawrence is the showrunner

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Chrs posted:

Yeah to be honest this was my issue with season 2. I count put up with and even enjoy it when it was just 20 minutes long but now that they’re pushing an hour a piece its just become a massive slog

Yeah, excessive run times are one of the worst parts of bad media. That new twilight zone bloated weak premises to an hour, while the 80s version had delightful segments that sometimes only went 8 crisp minutes.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Shoresy is good though you should watch that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

When Ted Lasso first came out my SEC fanatic chud relations got really into it because they felt like it was the first show to do justice towards their type and show how sweet they really are.

In particular, they liked to go on and on about how Ted was just like this one uncle of mine who coaches high school football. This same uncle has been arrested multiple times for getting blackout drunk on Michelob Ultra and chucking his empties at black teenagers.

In conclusion, gently caress Ted Lasso. It is bad TV for bad people.