Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

it's very funny because the usa, europe, and even china are all facing serious demographic crises with respect to a rapidly aging population that requires a ton of young workers to support programs like old age pensions. in the us iirc it's going to be something like 1 worker for every 3 elderly people.

a much more open immigration policy alone isn't enough but it's going to be a lot worse without it.

and this has been known for at least 30 years. it's been easier to address and less costly than climate change but they kicked the can down the road so much you end up with poo poo like macron pushing through incredibly unpopular legislation so that there will be enough working people down the road.

you know this already Drey but I'll post it for others, there was a famous article in a major Canadian newspaper maybe ten years ago now talking about how an entire region of Canada (the Maritimes, a collective term for the small Atlantic provinces of Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island) were aging themselves into a social and economic death spiral, where there aren't enough workers which means there isn't enough economic activity which means more young people leave to find work which means there's even less economic activity.

Near the end of the article, the journalist raises the question of immigration bringing in young people to support the aging population of the Maritimes, and what he finds is that all the old people there are so racist that they completely reject immigration even when they recognize it would directly benefit them and improve their lives, and that when immigrants do move there (for the low cost of living, for example), they're met with such hostility that they often leave again for a different part of Canada after a year or two.

e: this is the article if this post piqued anybody's curiosity: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/how-the-maritimes-became-canadas-incredible-shrinking-region/article23554298/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

you know this already Drey but I'll post it for others, there was a famous article in a major Canadian newspaper maybe ten years ago now talking about how an entire region of Canada (the Maritimes, a collective term for the small Atlantic provinces of Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island) were aging themselves into a social and economic death spiral, where there aren't enough workers which means there isn't enough economic activity which means more young people leave to find work which means there's even less economic activity.

Near the end of the article, the journalist raises the question of immigration bringing in young people to support the aging population of the Maritimes, and what he finds is that all the old people there are so racist that they completely reject immigration even when they recognize it would directly benefit them and improve their lives, and that when immigrants do move there (for the low cost of living, for example), they're met with such hostility that they often leave again for a different part of Canada after a year or two.

e: this is the article if this post piqued anybody's curiosity: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/how-the-maritimes-became-canadas-incredible-shrinking-region/article23554298/

Lol I know a Palestinian guy whose dad did 2 years in PEI as a doctor and bolted

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
There are no doctors in pei just veterinarians

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

does this extend to my posts here oh jeez

Morbus
May 18, 2004

vyelkin posted:

its beautiful to see a self-correcting system

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Hasn't capital traditionally favored more immigration (though preferably in less equitable/more exploitable forms)? Has racism grown so powerful that it can even defeat American business?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
capital doesn't need immigration it can just go where it loving wants to. well, most. not agriculture.

that still exists to some extent but it being a big factor is, im pretty sure, very old timey. finance capitalism doesn't really give a poo poo. see imperialism, the highest stage of capitalism which touches on it some: https://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1916/imp-hsc/

Morbus
May 18, 2004

joe football posted:

Hasn't capital traditionally favored more immigration (though preferably in less equitable/more exploitable forms)? Has racism grown so powerful that it can even defeat American business?

Capital is pro immigration in maximally exploitable forms and that's what we get. All the complaining about illegal immigration is kayfabe

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

joe football posted:

it's a very complicated topic, but this is pretty much the start of real immigration law in the us

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
mysteriously at the same time, hundreds of thousands (millions?) of "illegal" chinese laborers were paid next to nothing to build the million miles of railroad the capitalists wanted right away

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Al! posted:

it's a very complicated topic, but this is pretty much the start of real immigration law in the us

Pretty sure America had real immigration law before Joe Biden was elected.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Morbus posted:

Capital is pro immigration in maximally exploitable forms and that's what we get. All the complaining about illegal immigration is kayfabe

Yeah, this has always been my impression. In an abstract sense, capital will find a combination of high levels of immigration and strict immigration laws attractive because that gives it maximum leverage over its workforce. Undocumented migrants who work in lovely conditions have no recourse against their bosses, and even documented migrants often have their immigration status tied to their employment which means they have slightly more recourse but still much less than they should have as workers.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

ELTON JOHN posted:

borders are fascist they segregate people and keep them in a permanent state of exploitation and are maintained with violence

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
What do people think about China's tight border controls? Does anyone know anything about how their enforcement is carried out?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
I don't really know how tight they are for the economic immigrants. Kind of hard to get objective information. I'd guess the North Korean border is the one they'd be concerned about the most and probably for political reasons. Any laxity there would turn into something to try to build a wedge between China and NK with. I don't think trade, travel, etc between China and NK have decrease at the same time as they increased border security. I think Dandong stuff opened back up already? COVID closing everything makes it a little weird to look at the past few years.

It's probably very difficult in general to get real information about this without being able to read Chinese. There are probably things written in English that are fine, just not very common. Also Myanmar's border with China is 2000 km and mostly mountainous/heavily forested along a river. and RFA loves to write about it.

there are academic papers from chinese universities though that are probably good. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/23996544221106015 for example. can't find the pdf though. sci-hub hasn't been able to get stuff since 2019 =/

as for personal opinion china's government clearly does not want to destabilize its neighbors or other countries for economic purposes, especially to cheapen labor. It really can't be compared to the US or its pals in that sense. considering NK and Myanmar's historical and current positions it seems like they're doing a pretty good job not doing anything that would blow up relations destabilize either side of the border.

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 06:17 on May 20, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
contrast that with US-Mexico relations where US policies and actions have absolutely and completely hosed things up. Literally initiated a rapidly increasing cycle of psychotic violence on multiple levels by training psychos while destabilizing the large cartels and leadership. After being the cause for it to exist in the first place the entire time prior to that, of course. Basically turned the northern states into the white person stereotype of them circa 2000. It's hosed.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Weka posted:

What do people think about China's tight border controls? Does anyone know anything about how their enforcement is carried out?

it's pretty difficult for people to move from rural areas to the cities, even with the constant urban expansion, and that's just citizens within the country

that being said, China's (reported) incarceration rate is less than a quarter of USA's so maybe they're more likely to expel people than throw them in internment camps

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Filthy Hans posted:

it's pretty difficult for people to move from rural areas to the cities, even with the constant urban expansion, and that's just citizens within the country

ehhh is it though? china is kind of known for having a hell of a lot of internal movement from rural->city and back. i don't think you'd be able to call the internal movement difficult in the sense that it's too difficult to do. china is kinda #1 at it

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 07:36 on May 20, 2023

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cuttlefush posted:

ehhh is it though?

I don't have a solid source for you, everything I've heard is there are very long waiting lists for people to get from rural areas to cities because few people want to live out there

they have that one holiday where like half the population travels around the country for a couple of weeks, but that's not the same thing as moving

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
i work in refugee integration and i'd like to say ama but i don't want to say which country i work in because based on my other posts it would be possible to piece together who i work for if someone really wanted to. but i can answer very general questions about refugee integration, and there are certain truths about this job that seem to be universal. for example integration projects generally do not have the resources to deal with the various psychological issues that refugees often develop, like ptsd, depression, gad, etc. we end up doing our best to work around these various maladies because we usually can't treat them, and when someone leaves the program with a job and an apartment we always just gotta hope that theyre gonna be ok.

another seemingly universal truth about this sector is that it is extremely unstable and our jobs and the lives of the people we are trying to help are closely tied to political outcomes at both the local and national level. if an election goes sideways we can lose everything. and this is one of the reasons that i dont judge anyone for voting for a centre left party, or hell even a goddamn democrat in the US

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Filthy Hans posted:

I don't have a solid source for you, everything I've heard is there are very long waiting lists for people to get from rural areas to cities because few people want to live out there

they have that one holiday where like half the population travels around the country for a couple of weeks, but that's not the same thing as moving

ohhh, hukou stuff? okay i gotcha now. yeah changing residency probably is difficult. again though that's like... super propaganda blast territory for any english writing. my bad though i really should have known that's what you were referring to

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Filthy Hans posted:

where are they traveling to, if they haven’t moved to the cities?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Filthy Hans posted:

I think someone played a prank on you OP.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 99 days!
lol hans

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Weka posted:

Australia does a lot of hosed up poo poo around immigration but requiring dogs coming from countries with rabies to undergo 10 days of quarantine even if their owners are rich and famous is not one of them. They have a large and longstanding population of somewhat protected feral dogs and rabies could potentially devastate it.

IMO the Pacific Solution, where illegal migrants are detained outside of Australian territory so that Australian law does not apply, was the real change in tone, although it was hardly great before then. It began in 2001.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Solution

Wow they offshored asylum seekers entirely onto Papua New Guinea.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nocturtle posted:

Australia also built a concentration camp on Nauru where they indefinitely detained thousands of refugees and then had guards sexually abuse them until they committed suicide. In the process they made it a crime punishable with up to ten years in prison for journalists to report on conditions in the concentration camp.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

vyelkin posted:

Australia also built a concentration camp on Nauru where they indefinitely detained thousands of refugees and then had guards sexually abuse them until they committed suicide. In the process they made it a crime punishable with up to ten years in prison for journalists to report on conditions in the concentration camp.

that's the one i always think of whenever australia's immigration policies come up

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Nocturtle posted:

Denmark did this too recently, they also strip any non white refugees of their valuables.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

e: oops nvm people are effortposting in this thread

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

where are they traveling to, if they haven’t moved to the cities?

visiting family who live in cities, or city dwellers visiting family in the hinterlands, or people from one city visiting another

it's basically 2 weeks of their entire transportation system packed to the gills going every which way

Weka
May 5, 2019

Filthy Hans posted:

visiting family who live in cities, or city dwellers visiting family in the hinterlands, or people from one city visiting another

it's basically 2 weeks of their entire transportation system packed to the gills going every which way

Why does half of a family live one place and half another?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
What is divorce? Is it even real?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Weka posted:

lol this mfer hasn't seen any fast and furious movies

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Filthy Hans posted:

what happens is that rural people who become "illegal immigrants" don't qualify for social services in the city

Weka posted:

The point of the holiday or at least one of the big ones is to go sweep your ancestral cemetery plot in grandma and grampas hometown

War and Pieces has issued a correction as of 18:12 on May 21, 2023

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

War and Pieces posted:

what happens is that rural people who become "illegal immigrants" don't qualify for social services in the city

oic

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

War and Pieces posted:

The point of the holiday or at least one of the big ones is to go sweep your ancestral cemetery plot in grandma and grampas hometown

that’s a different holiday. qingming

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Filthy Hans posted:

yeah it’s what that other guy said. they’re going “home” for the holiday, which necessarily means people have moved (mostly to the cities and home is mostly in a rural area).

the “waiting lists” are not waiting to move, they’re waiting to become an official resident of the city (transfer their hukou to the city). people just move largely to wherever they want, but certain government services will only be available to you where you’re registered as an official resident, which has certain requirements that might or might not be easy for someone to meet.

the easy way is a lot of places have a path for recent college graduates to transfer their hukou.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

yeah it’s what that other guy said. they’re going “home” for the holiday, which necessarily means people have moved (mostly to the cities and home is mostly in a rural area).

the “waiting lists” are not waiting to move, they’re waiting to become an official resident of the city (transfer their hukou to the city). people just move largely to wherever they want, but certain government services will only be available to you where you’re registered as an official resident, which has certain requirements that might or might not be easy for someone to meet.

the easy way is a lot of places have a path for recent college graduates to transfer their hukou.

ty for the clarification, fart simpson

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Denmark did this too recently, they also strip any non white refugees of their valuables.

also if you live outside denmark for too long, you count as non-white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im not white?