Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

counterfeitsaint posted:

At least we've got the fact that they completely forgot there was a ruling at all and went full slaver mode a few decades later.

Not even, remember how all those EMH Mark 1s had to work as mining slaves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

"we installed a system that allows our computer to fully sense everything inside this region and use forcefield and tractor beams to manipulate matter on a detailed level and we're using it to project a bald guy chipping out the ore"

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

That bit made no sense to me. The Doctor only became truly sentient after being left active for far longer than designed and being forced outside the bounds of his programming. Why would stock EMH Mk.1 programs need to be kept around? If it’s an ethical concern about erasing fledgling sentient beings, then how is turning them into miners against their will ethical itself?

(The android slaves in Picard were “fine” because they weren’t actually people, just worker robots built with human faces for a reason I’m sure must have been a good one.)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

it was in the last will of lewis zimmerman that all the things created in his img, suffer. the federation was honor-bound

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

At least give them holo drills and jackhammers and poo poo

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

calm down, peter gabriel

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

blastron posted:

That bit made no sense to me. The Doctor only became truly sentient after being left active for far longer than designed and being forced outside the bounds of his programming. Why would stock EMH Mk.1 programs need to be kept around? If it’s an ethical concern about erasing fledgling sentient beings, then how is turning them into miners against their will ethical itself?

(The android slaves in Picard were “fine” because they weren’t actually people, just worker robots built with human faces for a reason I’m sure must have been a good one.)

Holograms are by and large portrayed as sentient, just with various amounts of blinders put on them to prevent them noticing their situation. Like the Doctor was sentient in episode 1 of Voyager, it just took him a while to appreciate it and chafe at being treated like software

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I think the doctor may have some kind of learning ability that would normally get wiped by firmware updates.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Sentient holograms are one of the most inconsistent things in Star Trek, which is saying something. The doctor was sentient because he has to run so long, even though he also started out that way in season 1. Then Moriarty is sentient from conception just because, but you have to disable safety protocols. Moriarty can easily make more sentient holograms, and so can those predator dudes from Voyager cause whatever. Seems like there would be some ethical concerns that any ship with a holodeck can easily create intelligent life but I guess it's not worth ever exploring how or why that's possible.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

TNG answered that with Minuet, its because having a sentient sex-doll in your "totally not a brothel"-program is better UX than one running on a glorified chatGPT script.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

blastron posted:

That whole thing never made sense to me from a technical standpoint either because Voyager couldn't even get holoemitters working to let the Doctor onto the bridge, but somehow they installed them in a mine? A place with solid rock walls and a presumably regularly changing shape?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Couldn't they have thought of some other menial job to have them doing? We now have lots of automation and mechanisation in mines, and even in TNG they had some fancy laser mining station. Why a bunch of men with pickaxes.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Surely there are infirm individuals that could use the presence of a doctor 24/7 or a doctor in a fellowship who could use an assistant?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Boxturret posted:

Couldn't they have thought of some other menial job to have them doing? We now have lots of automation and mechanisation in mines, and even in TNG they had some fancy laser mining station. Why a bunch of men with pickaxes.

Funny enough the end of the episode would've probably worked just as well had they shown two Picardos in a Starfleet medical facility, having a private moment.

Was the Dominion war going on at that point? Could've shown them in a field hospital.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Boxturret posted:

Some may argue that a diamond is still a diamond, even if it is one among millions. But blood diamonds shine brighter still because of all the suffering that has gone into them.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

Seems like there would be some ethical concerns that any ship with a holodeck can easily create intelligent life but I guess it's not worth ever exploring how or why that's possible.

I mean, that's not exactly weird science fiction when it comes right down to it, that's just loving.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Boxturret posted:

Playing various roles in one of Barclay's holodeck programs? Catch two of them away from Barclay doing costume changes and fitting wigs and doing makeup to each other?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
They're computer files, the idea of having too many or too few is ridiculous. All it takes is a little bit of ctrl+v and shift+del and you have the exact number you need at any given time.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

BonHair posted:

I mean, that's not exactly weird science fiction when it comes right down to it, that's just loving.

Where were you when Picard was admonishing Data for making Lal?

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

With the advances in tech, maybe by the end of Picard, Troi, Riker and Minuet are in a wholesome stable throuple.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

Sentient holograms are one of the most inconsistent things in Star Trek, which is saying something. The doctor was sentient because he has to run so long, even though he also started out that way in season 1. Then Moriarty is sentient from conception just because, but you have to disable safety protocols. Moriarty can easily make more sentient holograms, and so can those predator dudes from Voyager cause whatever. Seems like there would be some ethical concerns that any ship with a holodeck can easily create intelligent life but I guess it's not worth ever exploring how or why that's possible.

The first TNG holodeck episode ends with one of the Dixon Hill guys realising with quiet horror that he's a character in a book and his existence is about to end, it's been there right from the start but I think they just like the holodeck premise too much to really interogate the technology in a way that would be warranted

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
AND YET they actively say they can't make AI
Well what's Moriarty then guys?

NJM
Jan 3, 2020

No Dignity posted:

The first TNG holodeck episode ends with one of the Dixon Hill guys realising with quiet horror that he's a character in a book and his existence is about to end, it's been there right from the start but I think they just like the holodeck premise too much to really interogate the technology in a way that would be warranted
I always figured the origin of the holodeck as a concept was the writers really wanting the option to do things like the gangster planet in TOS. But they realized almost immediately, there's no stakes in watching someone walk their way through a video game. To add some sort of dram, they threw in AIs and busted safeties. Thus making it eye rolley in a whole new way

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

NJM posted:

I always figured the origin of the holodeck as a concept was the writers really wanting the option to do things like the gangster planet in TOS. But they realized almost immediately, there's no stakes in watching someone walk their way through a video game. To add some sort of dram, they threw in AIs and busted safeties. Thus making it eye rolley in a whole new way

Holodeck as a concept was first used in TAS, where it was a variable environment rec and training room.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

No Dignity posted:

It's a good episode to re-watch for showing how mystified Picard is at the improvements to the holodeck. Makes me think the previous version was like Second Life.

NJM
Jan 3, 2020

Der Kyhe posted:

Holodeck as a concept was first used in TAS, where it was a variable environment rec and training room.

I've never actually watched TAS, except for bits & pieces. I didn't know the holodeck was introduced in it. Reading the episode description, sounds like the holodeck malfunction was there from the start. Interestingly, on Memory Alpha, they say the TNG writers probably weren't inspired by the TAS version.

Is TAS worth going back to? I haven't really found the parts I've watched to really be all that engaging

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

NJM posted:

I've never actually watched TAS, except for bits & pieces. I didn't know the holodeck was introduced in it. Reading the episode description, sounds like the holodeck malfunction was there from the start. Interestingly, on Memory Alpha, they say the TNG writers probably weren't inspired by the TAS version.

Is TAS worth going back to? I haven't really found the parts I've watched to really be all that engaging

If nothing else, watching Yesteryear is a great examination of Spock. Even when TAS wasn't fully canon, Yesteryear was the exception.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Boxturret posted:

The men with pickaxes ARE the lasers, fool.

Taear posted:

AND YET they actively say they can't make AI
Well what's Moriarty then guys?

A not very well thought through plot, which is why they just kinda forgot about him.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Ravenson posted:

If nothing else, watching Yesteryear is a great examination of Spock. Even when TAS wasn't fully canon, Yesteryear was the exception.

Yesteryear is only the second episode. I watched it a few weeks ago, and it makes the whole "Michael was always Spock's sibling and here are some flashbacks of them competing as children" even dumber.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SlothfulCobra posted:

A not very well thought through plot, which is why they just kinda forgot about him.

I mean you say that but he's in TWO episodes of TNG which is quite rare (as in, there's a followup episode about him) and they brought him back in Picard for some reason

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

IMO holograms should just be extensions of the computer and if they're behaving like Moriarty or the EMH something is wrong.

In Moriarty's case it's because normally a hologram couldn't "defeat" a human but since Data's not a human there's a loophole.

Similarly you can't have a doctor who's scared they might kill someone who's gonna be dead if they don't intervene so they used ethical subroutines instead of hard coding him to do no harm.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I knew Picard was going to suck when they introduced the hall of nostalgia in the first episode

Along with, well, the rest of that episode

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

NJM posted:

The total run of TAS, 22 episodes * 24 minutes is bit less than 9 hours.

It has flaws, animation is janky because it is all hand-made, and they repeat certain stock animations, but overall the episodes aren't that bad, I'd say 5-6 of them actually quite good. There are only two really weird episodes which I remember off-hand, and those are also the ones from which 99% of the gifs about the show are taken from. The biggest turnoff for myself was the overall "pinkness" of everything on some occasions, and at times aggressively 70's aesthetics, but overall I think it holds water just fine even in 2021 when I binged it during the lockdowns.

Also worth keeping in mind, it is as close as cartoon show for adults in network TV you could get at the times, it clearly isn't written for children, but as seasons 4 and 5 of the original show, which was also the original intention.

As earlier post mentioned, it also wasn't considered canon, Yesteryear being the exception, until Lower Decks brought pretty much everything worth mentioning back.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 15, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/tsarnick/status/1779358238762488101

Data's lookin rough these days

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Der Kyhe posted:

The total run of TAS, 22 episodes * 24 minutes is bit less than 9 hours.

It has flaws, animation is janky because it is all hand-made, and they repeat certain stock animations, but overall the episodes aren't that bad, I'd say 5-6 of them actually quite good. There are only two really weird episodes which I remember off-hand, and those are also the ones from which 99% of the gifs about the show are taken from. The biggest turnoff for myself was the overall "pinkness" of everything on some occasions, and at times aggressively 70's aesthetics, but overall I think it holds water just fine even in 2021 when I binged it during the lockdowns.

Also worth keeping in mind, it is as close as cartoon show for adults in network TV you could get at the times, it clearly isn't written for children, but as seasons 4 and 5 of the original show, which was also the original intention.

As earlier post mentioned, it also wasn't considered canon, Yesteryear being the exception, until Lower Decks brought pretty much everything worth mentioning back.

The pinkness and prominence of odd color combination is because the director of Season 1 was literally colorblind.

Clarification and was therefore unable to tell Irv Kaplan to knock it the gently caress off.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 15, 2024

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

He's reinvented himself to look like a singer in a '90s boy band.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is he still stealing his son’s blood and sperm or whatever the gently caress?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Der Kyhe posted:

Yesteryear being the exception

How can Yesteryear be the only canon episode when it directly contradicts Disco?

Is Disco officially not canon? I ask, with my heart in my throat.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Disco will only be decanonized if a particularly spiteful fan gets control of the franchise in 20 years and creates a show to specifically to scrub its timeline from history. But even then, the mycelial network and the conditions for the burn and all that implies will stick around.

More likely it'll just be quietly ignored outside of an occasional sideways glance, like how SNW treats it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If I had my way, to continue the theme, not only will it be decanonized, it will be dug out of its grave and put on trial like in the cadaver synod. Picard too.