Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kestral posted:

I wish I could say that was surprising, but, well, called it earlier in the thread, and also:

The Mario crew poppping positive is hilariously predictable after one full team - wait, wasn't it GPB's team? - showed up to the relay with their masks in total disarray. Going to go out on a limb here and guess that a lot of the people who were masked up for their time on stream were chin-masking at best when the cameras weren't on them, if they wore them at all. It'll be interesting to see how this affects their performance going forward - I imagine it's difficult to kaizo when you have brain fog for months or years. The irony of a community event eroding its own community with debilities is potent.
Is that GPB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I def saw people test positive and stop hanging around (good!), but then their twitter feed was them hanging out with a bunch of people in hotel rooms unmasked lmao (how they got it). This was probably a superspreader event because of the lobby + hotel room parties

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
For this speedrun they're hoping Madagascar doesn't close its borders too soon.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Yep, it’s footage of him practicing. You can find it at the start of the GDQ run he uploaded to his channel.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Studio posted:

I def saw people test positive and stop hanging around (good!), but then their twitter feed was them hanging out with a bunch of people in hotel rooms unmasked lmao (how they got it). This was probably a superspreader event because of the lobby + hotel room parties
We're never getting another live GDQ event, are we?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Incoherence posted:

My personal take is that COVID is just added to the convention crud risk calculus now. If you can’t afford the risk, you shouldn’t go.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Incoherence posted:

We’ll have plenty because COVID Is Over and by god you’d better not say otherwise.

Seriously though, just keep your fingers crossed for the next generation of vaccines that are in development, it’s our only hope right now.

AlternateNu posted:

My personal take is that COVID is just added to the convention crud risk calculus now. If you can’t afford the risk, you shouldn’t go.

Except if you come down with COVID you're going to infect any number of other people, too, since it's wildly contagious even before you notice you have symptoms. It's not just about your personal risk calculations, you're taking the health - and in some cases the lives - of others into your hands when you undertake risky behavior like this.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

This is true, and it's also true that it's a dick move to flout the masking rules. Glad I'm not the one who has to make the call on whether they're in-person or online!

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kestral posted:

Except if you come down with COVID you're going to infect any number of other people, too, since it's wildly contagious even before you notice you have symptoms. It's not just about your personal risk calculations, you're taking the health - and in some cases the lives - of others into your hands when you undertake risky behavior like this.
COVID incubation periods have come down a lot from 2020, at least, and IIRC more so if you're up to date on vaccinations. When I had it in January, I know exactly when and where I got it, and the period between that and the start of symptoms was a little over two days.

You can still infect a lot of people in two days at a big event, but it's better than a weeklong asymptomatic period.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Incoherence posted:

COVID incubation periods have come down a lot from 2020, at least, and IIRC more so if you're up to date on vaccinations. When I had it in January, I know exactly when and where I got it, and the period between that and the start of symptoms was a little over two days.

You can still infect a lot of people in two days at a big event, but it's better than a weeklong asymptomatic period.

Yep, I keep abreast of the changes COVID has gone through, since it's critical for my health. Two days in a con situation is... Jesus, that's a lot of people. I think my point stands even if it's only a single day of contagious incubation, tbh: it's not purely about your own risk assessment.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It's like SMB3's World 8, except the hands are pathogens.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Kestral posted:

Yep, I keep abreast of the changes COVID has gone through, since it's critical for my health. Two days in a con situation is... Jesus, that's a lot of people. I think my point stands even if it's only a single day of contagious incubation, tbh: it's not purely about your own risk assessment.

Two days is also wrong. The average pre-symptomatic incubation time of newer SARS-2 is 3-4 days, with contagiousness starting sooner, close to day one. And if that's shorter than it was in 2020 (it is), that's only because it's accompanied by an even more favorable pattern of human activity for the virus -- namely, no one bothers staying home when they're lightly symptomatic (and possibly fully contagious) anymore, full-throated denial of the situation is rampant, so there is no evolutionary pressure for the virus to hide; why bother?

Instead, newer strains evolved a much longer tail of *post*-symptomatic infectiousness than in 2020. That means that after each person feels better and is anxious to get back to their life, they continue to spread the disease in spaces they're in for weeks afterwards (as evidenced by rapid tests continuing to show positive much later in the average disease course than in 2020). That's now a well-established development.

Note that research says not all spreaders are equal, so it's very possible for many small events to not have a powerful spreader in attendance, making people let their guard down for larger gatherings. I guess GDQ falls in the middle size-wise in the grand scheme of things.

There's certainly nothing reassuring about the developments. National monitoring may be dismantled but the physical situation has not changed. If someone asks to be a part of a transmission chain in 2023, they will be a part of one, often, at theirs and others' eventual peril --- because SARS-2 makes its own new vulnerable populations, to include all who think themselves invulnerable, via repeated infection and gradual attrition to the organs and systems. It's not the only disease to have ever done that, but it's the only one to ever be nearly as contagious or widespread in history, by orders of magnitude.

bike tory posted:

This is true, and it's also true that it's a dick move to flout the masking rules. Glad I'm not the one who has to make the call on whether they're in-person or online!

Whatever the answer is, it's not how things are being done now. It's a really nice idea for GDQ to be a shining city on a hill, the young generation's go-to-example of a convention that still acknowledges the unmentionable situation, spreads awareness of it, and tries to mitigate doing harm. However, when all emphasis is all on awareness and none is on execution, you get what we have now -- a superspreader event that happens just off-camera, inconsistent examples set by those on-camera, and poor awareness of details that are actually crucial (such as ventilation, or how much tests and vaccination status currently are unreliable, or which respirators actually do their functional job fully and which do not -- KN95's cough cough).

Shout outs to those involved (i.e. Shoujo) who wore especially high quality PPE on camera and wore it correctly like a serious person.

maxwellhill fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jun 9, 2023

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

we had a chance to stop the spread of covid and selfishness and idiocy ruined that chance. it is now a permanent part of our lives, it is never going away, there will never be a time in which really doing anything in-person, from conventions to grocery shopping, is safe from potentially getting covid. this is the way things are now. any sort of convention or concert or anything else that involves a large number of people at any point in the future is going to likely result in covid spreading, just like it always has for colds and whatnot.

the only option is to stop doing anything in-person at all, that isn't going to happen and frankly it shouldn't anymore. if covid lockdowns had actually been properly followed instead of ruined by selfish shitheads, there wouldn't be a problem, but we are stuck with it forever now and permanently ending events and poo poo is not a solution.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

we had a chance to stop the spread of covid and selfishness and idiocy ruined that chance. it is now a permanent part of our lives, it is never going away, there will never be a time in which really doing anything in-person, from conventions to grocery shopping, is safe from potentially getting covid. this is the way things are now. any sort of convention or concert or anything else that involves a large number of people at any point in the future is going to likely result in covid spreading, just like it always has for colds and whatnot.

the only option is to stop doing anything in-person at all, that isn't going to happen and frankly it shouldn't anymore. if covid lockdowns had actually been properly followed instead of ruined by selfish shitheads, there wouldn't be a problem, but we are stuck with it forever now and permanently ending events and poo poo is not a solution.

Being cavalier about spreading diseases makes these events inaccessible to many, is the thing.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

apostateCourier posted:

Being cavalier about spreading diseases makes these events inaccessible to many, is the thing.

i'm not sure how any convention organizers can stop people from being cavalier about it. gdq seemed to do the best that they could, but unless you expect them to have people posted in every elevator and hallway in the hotel, and then more people posted in every restaurant, shopping center and other places people may go together outside of the event, there's not a lot that can be done about people choosing whether to stay masked up.

like, they should keep doing the best that they can, and cons and such should continue having mask requirements forever. but they best they can do will never be enough, these will always be spreader events from now on.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 9, 2023

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
How many people are physically attending the events anyways. There's the runners, the hosts, and tech crew obviously, but are there just random people coming to be in the audience? Do runners bring entire entourages with them?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

TheMopeSquad posted:

There's the runners, the hosts, and tech crew obviously, but are there just random people coming to be in the audience?

Yes, lots. It's very similar to a standard convention, complete with panels, a board and video game library, etc.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i'm not sure how any convention organizers can stop people from being cavalier about it. gdq seemed to do the best that they could, but unless you expect them to have people posted in every elevator and hallway in the hotel, and then more people posted in every restaurant, shopping center and other places people may go together outside of the event, there's not a lot that can be done about people choosing whether to stay masked up.

like, they should keep doing the best that they can, and cons and such should continue having mask requirements forever. but they best they can do will never be enough, these will always be spreader events from now on.

yeah, it's an effectively unsolvable problem for a single conference with limited political power. mitigation should still be a core priority, but the only real "solution" past this point is waiting for it to become a proper endemic virus with a proportionally smaller impact

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Fatalistic resignation to the worst possible outcome. No one suggested ending the event yet; just setting a better example. Things might work if the people at the very top applied genuinely themselves to the problem and learned the solutions to the low-hanging-fruit problems:

maxwellhill posted:

awareness of details that are actually crucial (such as ventilation, or how much tests and vaccination status currently are unreliable, or which respirators actually do their functional job fully and which do not -- KN95's cough cough).

And yes, it's very hard to enforce rules when your own main presenters are constantly breaking them on camera, so maybe have the people at the top take the rules seriously under threat of being excluded. It makes all the difference between the event setting a proud example of doing no harm vs having embarrassments over it each time.

maxwellhill fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 9, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah I was gonna say maybe not letting half the people on stage not wear their masks might help, even if just a little

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
AFAIK someone mentioned that these people had to produce a negative COVID test to not wear a mask.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

TheMopeSquad posted:

AFAIK someone mentioned that these people had to produce a negative COVID test to not wear a mask.

This is correct. If you wanted to be on stage without a mask - which to my knowledge was limited to on-camera talent, runners, commentators, and hosts - you needed to produce a negative test within a few hours of going on stage.

In my experience, masking was on point within the two floors where masking was mandatory. The lobby of the hotel was another thing but honestly I thought it was worse there in 2022.

Cartridgeblowers fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 9, 2023

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

TheMopeSquad posted:

Based on history and the amount of "I have a fever and I'm sick but it's not covid!" posts I saw, this still isn't useful lol.

SGDQ did seem pretty masked, but it's really the outside the event areas that are going to be hubs. Def heard a swedish dude talk about how he didn't really care about gdqs requests because he trusted what the swedish gov said lol.

The funniest part of GDQ covid prevention is like, the people that are sanitizing the back of chairs and escalator banisters with Lysol wipes.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
They're starting to upload the last day's runs on their youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/@gamesdonequick/videos

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Cartridgeblowers posted:

This is correct. If you wanted to be on stage without a mask - which to my knowledge was limited to on-camera talent, runners, commentators, and hosts - you needed to produce a negative test within a few hours of going on stage.

But the audience doesn't hear about those tests, so it's not effective at the aforementioned goal of setting an example. And the tests don't work, so it's not effective at the aforementioned goal of mitigation.

Does it accomplish anything? It's essentially trading those two mission-statement-level needs in exchange for our petty wants (seeing certain stars' faces) and making the rest of the attendees swim in their unfiltered air. It's better than no respiratory protection at the event, but worse than proper respiratory protection at the event.

Testing is again one of those misunderstood details that are actually crucial. Rapid tests have 1. Always required 2 tests taken at different times (right there on the box) just to get an acceptable false negative rate, 2. Never had their target antigens updated since the very first SARS-2 strain ever, to the point where you need to bump that up to more like 7 tests at 7 different times to get anything near the certainty people act like they have, 3. Always had issues with swabbing instructions being wrong for catching the most virus, and 4. Always been easily faked (anyone can "present a negative test") and boil down to relying on an honor system.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

maxwellhill posted:

But the audience doesn't hear about those tests

i know for a fact kunfufruitcup mentioned it at least a couple of times during interview segments/daily wrap-ups

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

How about those speedruns, eh?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i know for a fact kunfufruitcup mentioned it at least a couple of times during interview segments/daily wrap-ups

Genuinely curious how many people pay attention to those. Stats I will not have 😔

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Just lmao if you're not taking micro-naps during the interviews so you don't miss any runs.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Not just her, a bunch of runners explained why they weren't wearing a mask, or that they could have done a RAT but had chosen to still wear a mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Little late (lol when am I ever not late with it), but any posted list of recommendations have been added to the second post of the thread. Just skipped one or two because everything in them were already in.