Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Chef is the new orb. let's run this into the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Holy poo poo this got dark

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
These adverts are weird.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I followed along with strider that year and getting the zip to work was very satisfying

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
In the UK I woke up just in time to see the incentive die.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
YESSIR

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The ultimate boss is a bugged door

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I remember Lizstar.

Mr. Bones was one hell of a game

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Just introduced my SO to gdq and I am now showing her Arabian Nights

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is there a reason for this awkward sofa chat

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is anyone else's sound way out of sync?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Those two were awesome.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I hope this is a Swift run

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Riddler slaps

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Pepsi for TV game

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I keep getting that weird ad where sky supposedly locks some men in a booth that yells abuse at them.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Pepsi for pizza 🍕

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Pepsi now sued for its dangerous signage campaign

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
That guy is going to have terrible kidney stones

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I used to get two cars stacked on top of each other like that in casual play but I chalked it up to the PC version being bugged. I wonder if I was duping somehow. If so, it probably wasn't through the vigilante phone glitches.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Spending the whole mission saying, "I hope it doesn't crash at gdq," was just tempting fate.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I remember the skyrim run where the guys just used the console in the final boss. That was hilarious, and the whole thing was pure chaos. I'd recommend that run.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I love that his first response to getting wasted and landing in hospital was, "is this faster?" Even though it wasn't.

3 hours deep into a live GDQ run and he's still thinking about improving those runs.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This guy is nuts and I love him. I might catch the speedrun event he mentioned, being in the UK also.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Am I mistaken or did the Lunistice people manage to get the GDQ audience to pay to watch an advertisement for the game's upcoming patch?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
One thing about gdq is that I can time my pizza from the game timer. More shows should have big clocks on them.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I have awful suggestions.

Have several runs taking place at once and a live bid war to choose who is live onscreen.

Make incentives to knock 10s off the timer, so that we get more world records each GDQ.

Have bid wars to permanently change the runner's twitch username.

Enter into partnership with Pepsi.

Hire an economist who can make a convincing chart where the number looks bigger every time.

Failing that, there's the truly desperate option:

Make a celebrity version of the show where B list stars do the same thing but much worse.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
My real point is that you don't have to monetise it more than it is. It doesn't have to be like other media products.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I love their minimalist gummi ship

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Having played these games, I'm very impressed by the runner. It was insane.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This isn't really a reply to the incentive issue, just a personal observation on its own: the vibe has changed a lot.

I started watching in 2014, when they were in a little room with a couch set up and the hotel chairs directly behind. The intimate surroundings in the stream, and the reactions of the crowd, gave a real community feel. It looked like I was watching a village cheer on its heroes. More than that: watching with other people, and talking online, made it feel like I was in that village.

Through to 2019 they managed to keep that up, despite the huge surroundings, by slowly acting more like a church. Again it felt like I was in that church.

I don't know exactly why, but this year feels more like GDQ is just a TV channel showing these runs. The illusion of a brotherhood is very thin. I imagine it might be to do with the pandemic measures: I haven't really tuned in this much since the plague and might just be noticing the effects of that on GDQ now.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
That fight was insane.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
That run was awesome

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Shoutouts to insulin: Hyyype

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The two go hand in hand

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This was ridiculous

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If you start a speedrun in AUS and end it in the US do you get to subtract the 15 or so hours?

E: after joking that, I remembered that some runs use igt. I wonder if changing region might actually mess the clock for any of these?

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
For this speedrun they're hoping Madagascar doesn't close its borders too soon.