Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I have worked in and around higher education for many years and am happy to answer questions! College is really complex and weird.

I have worked as teaching faculty (and technically hold a faculty appointment) but am much more qualified to answer questions about... everything else related to college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Dealt with the ghost student thing?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Fortunately I have not because I’ve only worked at 4 year schools, but I’ve heard about it. It sucks. The entire financial aid system is super broken because it’s just inefficient subsidies for higher education. The other issue right now is schools are getting flooded with worthless international applications.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Upgrade posted:

The other issue right now is schools are getting flooded with worthless international applications.

What's the deal with that?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

What's the deal with that?

For some reason there's been a ton of foreign social media coverage about applying to certain schools because you can go for free, and then thousands and thousands of people apply. Like, you'll get 15,000 applications from a single country over night. It creates a huge logistical mess, especially for smaller private schools who just can't cope with the volume that comes through. And none of those applicants have any chance of succeeding. Its a big headache.