Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I hate this stupid thread and I'm marking it unread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

you'll be back. they always come back

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

lol

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

i guess some people just can't accept revolutionary paradigm shifts

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

so you’ll read it again?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

walking into this thread

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
complex numbers fascinate me

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
they're just numbers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
one of the people that works otc on sunday is studying mechanical engineering and I like talking to her about things she has a formal education in whereas i’ve just watched youtube :grin: and I asked her if she knows about mandelbrot fractals and she had not so I showed her and it was like woah that’s just inherent in the math??

more evidence that math is a way of summoning a demon

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

they're just numbers

i’m
allowed to
be fascinated by numbers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
things can appear amazing and unreal when you don’t understand them

please don’t take that away from me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm glad that the world still holds a lot of magic for you, echi

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

one of the people that works otc on sunday is studying mechanical engineering and I like talking to her about things she has a formal education in whereas i’ve just watched youtube :grin: and I asked her if she knows about mandelbrot fractals and she had not so I showed her and it was like woah that’s just inherent in the math??

more evidence that math is a way of summoning a demon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tsutU92rrE

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

echinopsis posted:

i’m
allowed to
be fascinated by numbers

you absolutely are

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

numbers are weird as hell imo, they like to pretend they're nice and orderly but under the covers its just seething chaos in there

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and especially because numbers are just a set of rules, rather than anything real like fascinating rocks or hamburgers or gigantic puddles like the ocean

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ehhh no i feel like numbers are absolutely real

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

this is the sort of person in charge around here

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

well now you're going to have to define "real"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

well now you're going to have to define "real"

i aint gonna define poo poo

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
you are casually dismissing a problem that has been debated by philosophers for thousands of years. https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/realism/

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
note that "casual dismissal" is the absolutely the most reasonable and practical action to take with respect to most philosophical problems. just, like, don't pretend you are saying anything that is of any interest to anyone

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

DELETE CASCADE posted:

note that "casual dismissal" is the absolutely the most reasonable and practical action to take with respect to most philosophical problems. just, like, don't pretend you are saying anything that is of any interest to anyone

yeah echi

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I meant what I said

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
numbers are like when someone sells an empty xbox box on ebay. someone was expecting something but all they got was the vibe of the xbox

numbers a a vibe man

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

DELETE CASCADE posted:

my advice, as always, is "stop digging"

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

if rotor wants to say that numbers are "real", in the sense that they exist independently of "here's 5 apples" or "here are some arabic numerals i typed: 1 2 3 4 5", then he has to explain where these mythical numbers actually are. ain't nobody ever seen em. if echi wants to deny that numbers are real, arguing instead that they're just a bunch of poo poo we made up, then he has to explain why all human cultures (and some non-human) come up with the same concepts, and why they are so powerful at explaining the physical world

neither of you can do either of those things, though. plato solved this problem by making poo poo up. christian philosophers solved this problem by invoking god. modern philosophers have essentially given up on the problem

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

philosophy is not that hard.

the number one is real as there is obviously one true good
the number two is real, as there is a being (me) observing that first true, but it is a fallen sinner and cannot be a part of the one true god
the number three is real, as revealed in the holy trinity
the number four is real, as the sinner observes the obviousness of the holy trinity

and so on in that fashion, you'll be a famous philosopher in no time

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

DELETE CASCADE posted:

if rotor wants to say that numbers are "real", in the sense that they exist independently of "here's 5 apples" or "here are some arabic numerals i typed: 1 2 3 4 5", then he has to explain where these mythical numbers actually are.

I dont have to do poo poo, gently caress off poindexter

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rotor posted:

I believe if you pick a number totally at random, the probability is 0 that it will be real, and 1 that it will be complex.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

rotor posted:

I dont have to do poo poo, gently caress off poindexter

this is fine, just

DELETE CASCADE posted:

don't pretend you are saying anything that is of any interest to anyone

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

This post = :okpos: + :hmmyes:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is a hamburger real? it satisfies both yes and no

on one hand yes, it’s made of real bits

on the other hand no, it’s just a bunch of bits, the culmination of those bits into a hamburger is just an idea inside our mind and doesn’t exist in the real world

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
before humans existed did numbers exist too

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

DELETE CASCADE posted:

this is fine, just

welcome to the SA forums my dude, please enjoy your stay

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

echinopsis posted:

before humans existed did numbers exist too

yes

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

philosophy is not that hard.

the number one is real as there is obviously one true good
the number two is real, as there is a being (me) observing that first true, but it is a fallen sinner and cannot be a part of the one true god
the number three is real, as revealed in the holy trinity
the number four is real, as the sinner observes the obviousness of the holy trinity

and so on in that fashion, you'll be a famous philosopher in no time

[typing away on giant ipad calculator] yeah. this all checks out.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if you can’t locate something in spacetime then maybe it ain’t real

rock solid definition imo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

rotor posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU