Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Nevermind, resolved the Battle.net error.

99pct of germs fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
My Diablo 3 account still has my monk that I created at launch and stopped playing long before Loot 2.0. I could reinstall and still try to kill a fallen with the pieces of poo poo he has equipped. Holy loving poo poo, items were such garbage in the early days.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
You don't really have to concentrate on the spider bot. Doing most seasonal things will get you the stones for it. It can be handy to have for healing or helping to proc Vulnerable / Bleeding / Etc on monsters. Doing Nightmare Vaults gets you XP, glyph XP, and stones so it'll happen naturally. Set it up once with the stuff you got and forget about it for a while.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Betjeman posted:

I appreciate I need to start a new character in the new season, but the old one is there in eternal if I feel like revisiting, however from what I understand the spider will disappear forever, so I don't see the point at this late stage in the season to bother at all with it (and honestly, considering how short the seasons are, I'm not sure I would bother at all unless it was OP)

E: Cool that renown sticks around, I think I'll concentrate on that

Also doing stuff from the battle pass helps to keep things interesting if you are looking for goals for the season.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Everyone is free to have preferences but I really don't understand all the hate for the seasonal model here lately. Any character in an arpg is gonna get dull on a long enough timeline. Seasons encourage people to try other stuff. Do people really get so attached to one character? Is it just all the crappy live service poo poo? I find seasons a good incentive to come back and see something novel plus try a class or spec I never played. I played D3 for over a decade on and off and never even got around to playing like twenty percent of the builds you could play, and that game had sets which ended up limiting your options significantly. Not a knock I thought they were fun.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Embrace impermanence, play Hardcore.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

unattended spaghetti posted:

Everyone is free to have preferences but I really don't understand all the hate for the seasonal model here lately. Any character in an arpg is gonna get dull on a long enough timeline. Seasons encourage people to try other stuff. Do people really get so attached to one character? Is it just all the crappy live service poo poo? I find seasons a good incentive to come back and see something novel plus try a class or spec I never played. I played D3 for over a decade on and off and never even got around to playing like twenty percent of the builds you could play, and that game had sets which ended up limiting your options significantly. Not a knock I thought they were fun.

seasons (and more specifically seasonal resets) are kinda a net neutral and they're probably stronger for games that have a ton of stuff to do and skew towards very hardcore playerbases for whom the reset is more of a speedbump than an actual reset. like I enjoy them for certain games, but idk how many games you could staple a season onto and actually improve the game. they're probably most necessary for games that have significant player economies... which D4 doesn't so it's kind of a weird fit for d4. it's a genre convention to have them (albeit I'd argue an unexamined one) and it synergizes well with the game-as-a-service development model so it's kind of inevitable that d4 is going to have seasons

tldr, the upside is that they get people replaying different builds and poo poo, but they're detrimental if your playerbase is actually so casual that they're playing normal person amounts of time, like a couple of hours a couple of days a week

Paying2Lurk posted:

^^^^^ x1000

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 23, 2024

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Paying2Lurk posted:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Paying2Lurk posted:

I play way too dumb to play HC.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
I started playing this on gamepass and am having a blast with a firewall sorc. The story I ended up skipping through to be honest I found it pretty boring and hated the forced dialog and cutscenes. Other than that I'm having a great time just burning fools to death. My first unique drop were the boots that work with my ultimate skill and I can run faster than a mount if I evade.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

you ever wonder how those people get so insanely fast at the early game

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

MarcusSA posted:

If I die to a lag spike I will lose my poo poo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

Yeah I also play a lot at work using my hotspot and it’s good most of the time but still.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Field Mousepad posted:

No doubt. Permadeath is fine in an offline game with a relatively brief runtime but no way would I do it on something like D4. Like I have symmetrical gigabit and I still won't. Lol.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Betjeman posted:

I appreciate I need to start a new character in the new season, but the old one is there in eternal if I feel like revisiting, however from what I understand the spider will disappear forever, so I don't see the point at this late stage in the season to bother at all with it (and honestly, considering how short the seasons are, I'm not sure I would bother at all unless it was OP)

E: Cool that renown sticks around, I think I'll concentrate on that

It's important that they get rid of the spider pet at the end of the season because the game is so packed with endgame content that it would be overwhelming for people if it became part of the core game

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
I too have played PoE

I get it, and I imagine if I didn't start with a month to go and the campaign to run through it'd be fine.

My eyebrows have stopped raising now I see renown carries over

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Doomykins posted:

The only real plot hole is by necessity of being a videogame: it turns out we can take Lilith in a fight. Forgiveable enough, though Lilith's role in the story is ultimately a bit half-baked.

Inarius does stab her with his spear before you fight. So she should be injured/weaker. She's also not even a lesser evil and we waxed two of those by the time we get to her.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Still undercuts Act 5 a bit. "We need a soul stone to even think of taking on Lilith!"

Barbarian: nah bro it's cool I'm gonna swing my hammer REALLY hard today.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Doomykins posted:

Still undercuts Act 5 a bit. "We need a soul stone to even think of taking on Lilith!"

Barbarian: nah bro it's cool I'm gonna swing my hammer REALLY hard today.

I think that's just a plot hole in general in Diablo: soulstones don't do much from the players pov, demons reform after death.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
is farming act bosses in diablo 2 a metacommentary on the fruitlessness of the horadrims efforts to make a permanent soulstone? have we ever stopped killing then to see if there's a kinda reverse MGSV situation where they finally reform enough to take over all of sanctuary?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
it's actually quite useful from a capitalist perspective to have a bunch of massive loot pinatas stuck in caves

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

harrygomm posted:

is farming act bosses in diablo 2 a metacommentary on the fruitlessness of the horadrims efforts to make a permanent soulstone? have we ever stopped killing then to see if there's a kinda reverse MGSV situation where they finally reform enough to take over all of sanctuary?

Yes, Mephisto in particular has been slowly getting more and more powerful with every shako and arachnid belt he drops.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Paying2Lurk posted:

I died to a treasure chest trap in D2, so no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I liked the Rebirth model they used in D3, so even though you were still starting over at level 1 you still had continuity with characters.

And then, of course, they didn't let you do it enough times to do it with every class.