Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite hosed up lil' guy in games?
This poll is closed.
Waluigi 36 29.27%
Waddle Dee 34 27.64%
Gollum 7 5.69%
Sonic 13 10.57%
freaky cartwheeling grey-skinned frog men from elden ring 28 22.76%
vectorman worm things that sometimes explode 5 4.07%
Total: 123 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Honestly MHW was my first MonHun and I really missed the investigations in Rise. It feels like you're not hunting monsters anymore, you're just running at a map icon.

I massively prefer the maps in World too. Much more verticality and nooks/crannies to poke around in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Super mega baseball 4 came out but didn't make it into the op :(

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's called Undertale's genocide route

well you actually do get rewarded for that one so idk if that's a good example

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If anyone’s done a thorough study of that it’s probably someone inside or hired by a major developer, to figure out how they can make it happen more

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

stev posted:

Honestly MHW was my first MonHun and I really missed the investigations in Rise. It feels like you're not hunting monsters anymore, you're just running at a map icon.

I massively prefer the maps in World too. Much more verticality and nooks/crannies to poke around in.

you are probably thinking of the footprint/scoutfly system, which is fun and i missed that in rise too.

Investigations were the randomly generated quests for random monsters with bonus rewards. it was such a good system. people complained about the RNG of decoration drops but i never felt like it was a grind, i loved the gameplay loop of: picking up footprints to get tempered investigations, seeing if you got any with 4 or 5 reward boxes, and running those and getting pretty decent chances at good decos. and then if you didn't have any good investigations yourself, you could open the SOS search and hop in to other people's quests for the same rewards. it gave the endgame a lot of variety.

i VASTLY prefer the World method of SoS where you can actually see what quests people have posted before joining. Rise's method forces you to search for a specific thing, and if there's no one else doing that thing you get nothing. i like being able to search for a broader category and see what all my options are instead of being shoved into yet another fuckin lagombi hunt i didn't want to do.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

rise has functional lobbies unlike world though so, gently caress sos

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kerrzhe posted:

you are probably thinking of the footprint/scoutfly system, which is fun and i missed that in rise too.

Oh yeah, that's what I meant. It was cool to get little glimpses and clues towards a monster before actually seeing/fighting it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

does Monster Hunter ever let you press a button to say "CROIKEY"

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

Hwurmp posted:

does Monster Hunter ever let you press a button to say "CROIKEY"

Does any Video Game have this feature?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jolo posted:

FFXV started out with a snoozer, Ben E King's "Stand By Me". FFXVI opens with Clive and his friends trashing a Midwest America Waffle House to Thin Lizzy's "The Boys Are Back In Town."

Florence Welch is one of my favorite musicians of all time, I'm glad she's part of the Final Fantasy songbook alongside Ariana Grande and Frank Sinatra

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fake Name posted:

I think one of the Lenny Loosejocks?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Edit: nvm

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fake Name posted:

Team Fortress 2!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/teh_mugi/status/1665304259435298819?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Florence Welch is one of my favorite musicians of all time, I'm glad she's part of the Final Fantasy songbook alongside Ariana Grande and Frank Sinatra

You forgot about Linkin Park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VsJO_jCX6A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY-MQZfhFi4

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

homeless snail posted:

I literally couldn't stay connected with my friends for longer than a half hour at a time, at best, with World's old finicky lobby system.

Rise's lobbies are much simpler but also more stable by an order of magnitude. And progression doesn't require a bunch of quest-leaving workarounds to get past World's old fashioned host-only quest progress system.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And aside from QoL stuff, MHR adds so much flexibility to customize your weapon movesets and swap them on the fly I can't go back. I went from never touching Long Sword to being an LS main because juggling stances means gaining and spending blade meter became really easy.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

And it's already on CD Romance if you hate patching.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fake Name posted:

in all seriousness the dedicated cheer button is one of the lowkey best features about the EDF series and Deep Rock Galactic

many more games should have this feature

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Luigi's Mansion's "Mario" button

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rinkles posted:

What are the big things missing from MH Rise that are in World?

any sense that positioning matters

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Her version of Stand By Me in that game is phenomenal

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

in all seriousness the dedicated cheer button is one of the lowkey best features about the EDF series and Deep Rock Galactic

The social elements of Death Stranding are great, kind of like an expanded Dark Souls message soapstone system. There's something fun about slamming into a shelter and running through a long strong of little popups and thimba up holograms and stuff.

It reminds me of playing sports as a kid and they make you line up to high five the other team, except it's not forced and annoying. Actually do they make MLB players do that bc lol they should

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

ROCK AND STONE IN THE HEART

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So Pikamee got bullied off the internet by dogshit garbage people because she dared to play Hogwart's Legacy.

And I'm not a massive vtuber fan or anything, but Pikamee was always a fun watch.

Thankfully it looks you can't keep a good Kettle down :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnU1yEbffLw

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Infinitum posted:

So Pikamee got bullied off the internet by dogshit garbage people because she dared to play Hogwart's Legacy.

And I'm not a massive vtuber fan or anything, but Pikamee was always a fun watch.

I'm pretty she had actually already decided to retire from her old troupe before Hogwarts was even released and the entire thing was just a storm in a teacup whipped up by culture war weirdos.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
wow a vtuber that's so interesting *pressing button to release the hounds*

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Larryb posted:

To be honest my only exposure to the franchise is cultural osmosis and Peace Walker so go ahead

The monsters in the monster hunter setting are just the natural flora/fauna of the world. It isn't notEarth, but an entirely different planet. Unsurprisingly, humans are not the predominant species due to there being giant loving animals and insects everywhere, some with fantastical powers strong enough to warp ecosystems and environments.

A big part of the setting you interact with is that The Guild exists and heavily regulates any and all hunting of the monsters, as they're an important part of the environment and ecosystem generally. Literally to the point of imprisonment or death if an unofficial hunt occurs, if the offender happens to actually survive their hunt. Regardless of the (very) silly text for quests in the games, generally the Guild has investigated to make sure a a hunt is legitimately needed and not simply of convenience or for sport. The Guild also heavily promotes and supports the various sciences that study the natural world in general. There's a whole lot more going on of course but I think that's a solid summery.

For the purposes of actual gameplay though you don't generally see this all too much, and while Capcom has generally built a very cool world setting as mentioned before they don't let it get in the way of a fun game. The suspension of disbelief in the game comes in more when you're chain fighting some of the most dangerous, unique monsters in the setting for their armor/weapons cause let's be real if there were like even 5 of some of the end game monsters just hanging around humanity probably wouldn't exist in the setting lol.

Also there are adorable andromorphic cat people.

edit: this is what I get for not reading further before quoting the first person I see so-

Khanstant posted:

I was just Sunday morning goof troopin but yeah I'll bite. I got through World to at least as far as getting to the second or maybe third hub. I didn't get far in Rise because I was kinda like hey this is the same thing except my other gal has way better stuff already.

My understanding of MHW is they found USA but it's full of giant predators and ya gotta chop em up for clothes and food. I think I found the cat people ruins or something at one point.

For the record, MHW's setting is sort of unique in that the hubs are literally the only places civilization has settled after discovering it so Hunters generally have loosened standards of what they can and can't hunt as well as a bit of carte blanche to do whatever they need to do to survive an entirely undiscovered and settled area. They still gotta report to the Guild though and occasionally get supplies/new recruits coming in so most standards are kept too anyway.

Hunters in general are sort of superhuman anyway, and it's not really made clear why? But basically not everyone can become a hunter, and not every hunter is gonna be as good as the player is generally able to become. Not even touching the Wyvarians, who have 3 (or 4) finger digits and different types of feet along with long ears. Also they live for basically ever, they're just cooler elves really.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 4, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

wow a vtuber that's so interesting *pressing button to release the hounds*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVoU30ixHrM

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Infinitum posted:

That's not what happened at all

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The fact that she was able to redebut so quickly is explicit proof that that's not what happened. You can't get all of that going in like two months.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

That's not what happened at all

Ah I thought it was in response to all the transphobic nonsense that she moved.

Had that differently in my head then.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I forgot that the Wizard game even came out this year

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

homeless snail posted:

can't wait for MHW2 to include all the good stuff rise added but in the style of world

Runa posted:

I'm pretty she had actually already decided to retire from her old troupe before Hogwarts was even released and the entire thing was just a storm in a teacup whipped up by culture war weirdos.
yeah it's extremely obvious considering she redebuted as henya less than a month and a half after retiring from pikamee, with multiple models, merch, setups, socials, and a vshojo contract. this was all long in the making and because it was behind closed doors and her announcement happened to nearly coincide with all the hogwarts bullshit, people started hypothesizing that it was Twitter Gays rather than a normal employment transition. there were some really, really awful reactions to the entirely manufactured reason she quit and wow, turns out it was all bullshit and in reality she just wasn't going to work for Gyari anymore and clearly got aggressively scouted by Vshojo!

Good timing too, with losing Veibae, Silvervale, and Nyanners, Vshojo was looking pretty rough there. Although it was a good thing imo vei and silver left, they're awful.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

can't wait for MHW2 to include all the good stuff rise added but in the style of world
I think that is very unlikely, considering the way those games are made

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah I wasn't being serious because of that reason

would be nice tho

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
MHW has the artsyle of an early PS3 game, the humans look weird

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Vtubers are just ig influencers for twitch and youtube

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Weird seeing vtuber chat

Edit: just expected a giant shitstorm by now, is what i mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah it's extremely obvious considering she redebuted as henya less than a month and a half after retiring from pikamee, with multiple models, merch, setups, socials, and a vshojo contract. this was all long in the making and because it was behind closed doors and her announcement happened to nearly coincide with all the hogwarts bullshit, people started hypothesizing that it was Twitter Gays rather than a normal employment transition. there were some really, really awful reactions to the entirely manufactured reason she quit and wow, turns out it was all bullshit and in reality she just wasn't going to work for Gyari anymore and clearly got aggressively scouted by Vshojo!

Good timing too, with losing Veibae, Silvervale, and Nyanners, Vshojo was looking pretty rough there. Although it was a good thing imo vei and silver left, they're awful.

I thought i was having a stroke while reading this