Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1394498097254965249

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Anyone got a link to the MLB.tv sharing thread? I always forget which sub forum it's in.

MEET THE TEAMS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027936

https://i.imgur.com/e0nJedR.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Cubs tied with Nats and Rockies for fewest wins in the NL :smith:

But they're only five games out of 1st place! :unsmith:

Which means Ross will continue to play boring veterans, instead of the org just calling up Iowa en masse :negative:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

i heard a sportscenter radio hit yesterday like "shohei ohtani homered twice and mike trout added one of his own as the Angels defeat the White Sox 12-5" and i didn't know the outcome so i was on the edge of my seat waiting to hear that the angels had lost, it was so close i could taste it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I dont know how the Rangers have done it

Has anyone checked their trash cans???

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Cubspost

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Shinjobi posted:

I dont know how the Rangers have done it

Has anyone checked their trash cans???

Well they’re pretty good at baseball so that’s probably it

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

A DIII team is full of tiny guys who just sit in the batter's box until they're plunked.
https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1664326395072225284?s=20

quote:

. And nobody on the current roster embodies that dynamic more than Garrett McIlhenney, a lefty-hitting 5-5 outfielder who has a .404 average and 41 steals, but also leads the country with 30 HBPs and a .598 (!!!) on base percentage.

"We hit that McIlhenny kid seven times this year in six games." Said Arcadia University head coach Bryan Torresani, a conference-mate of the Cougars, who took five of six from Misericordia during this regular season.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

would pet

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

A DIII team is full of tiny guys who just sit in the batter's box until they're plunked.
https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1664326395072225284?s=20

I mean this wouldn't work if the umpires ever bothered enforcing the rules

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

A team of 5'5" baseball guys who practice by doing happy Gilmore drills in the batting cage and go to school in Dallas have to be the most dangerously aggressive street gang in the United states.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

I mean this wouldn't work if the umpires ever bothered enforcing the rules

Is there a rule you have to try to get out of the way? Or do you mean they're leaning into them?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I've been lead to believe it's never that simple

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

More than half the teams have a > .500 win rate. I wonder what the highest number of >.500 teams has ever been.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

and they haven't even had degrom for the last month

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Intruder posted:

Is there a rule you have to try to get out of the way? Or do you mean they're leaning into them?

The NCAA rules for HBP are as follows:

quote:

When hit by a pitched ball at which the individual is not attempting to strike, the ball is immediately dead;

1) A batter may not make a movement to intentionally get hit by the pitch regardless of the location of the pitch. The batter must also avoid being hit whenever possible, unless the pitch is within the batter's box occupied by the batter. If the batter's action is deemed intentional, then:

a) If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or if the batter moves to intentionally get hit or freezes to allow a pitch that is not within the batter's box to hit them, the ball is dead, it shall be called a strike and the batter is not awarded first base.

b) If the ball is within the batter's box occupied by the batter and the batter makes no movement to intentionally get hit by the pitch, the batter is awarded first base. In other words, a batter who freezes inside the batter's box and who is hit by the pitch shall be awarded first base.

So it's not like MLB rules where the batter has to try to avoid the ball no matter where it's thrown, college players are penalized with a strike if they try to get hit but are otherwise under no obligation to move.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Barry Bluejeans posted:

The NCAA rules for HBP are as follows:

So it's not like MLB rules where the batter has to try to avoid the ball no matter where it's thrown, college players are penalized with a strike if they try to get hit but are otherwise under no obligation to move.

I didn't realize MLB players were obligated to move either. I watched Biggio never ever move for his entire career, and of course there's Rizzo

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Yeah, I think that's the point Julio might've been trying to make, not knowing that NCAA rules are different. It's on the books in MLB that batters are supposed to move but it's almost never enforced.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Yeah, I think that's the point Julio might've been trying to make, not knowing that NCAA rules are different. It's on the books in MLB that batters are supposed to move but it's almost never enforced.

Ask Max Scherzer about how often they enforce the "don't intentionally get hit" part of the rule as well.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Best example of that I've ever seen was when the Mets won on a walkoff HBP where Conforto very obviously leaned into strike three

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GprkXZOJfNQ

Even GKR are like "wow that sucked"

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Intruder posted:

and they haven't even had degrom for the last month

And lead the league in runs scored (and run diff) despite Seager missing a month due to a hamstring. There's some sequencing luck in there I think, but they have surprised the hell out of me for sure.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1664333536860467200

lmao I love this

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bandire posted:

And lead the league in runs scored (and run diff) despite Seager missing a month due to a hamstring. There's some sequencing luck in there I think, but they have surprised the hell out of me for sure.
"some" sequencing luck, the Rangers team OPS is 200 points higher with RISP than with bases empty

Compare this to the team with the next highest runs scored, the Rays:

But hey, maybe the 2023 Rangers are just the most clutch team in baseball history by an insane margin and this will hold up all summer.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 1, 2023

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Actually RBIs are real and Adolis García is the second coming of Juan González.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

God drat I want one of these so bad lol

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

bawfuls posted:

"some" sequencing luck, the Rangers team OPS is 200 points higher with RISP than with bases empty

Compare this to the team with the next highest runs scored, the Rays:

But hey, maybe the 2023 Rangers are just the most clutch team in baseball history by an insane margin and this will hold up all summer.

The Rays are hitting better than anyone right now obviously and are far exceeding expectations as well. The Rangers actual runs scored are certainly inflated by randomness, but this is still a top 3 offense at the moment by most metrics.

Also that loving shirt is awesome.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Carlos Correa is hitting .211/.303/.378 and playing average defense, according to the metrics. Every Giants fan online had huge weepy meltdowns because we didn't give him $350 million, it's so funny to think about now.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think what you mean to say is that Carlos Correa is leading his team to first place in their division while Giants fans are suffering in third.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

camoseven posted:

God drat I want one of these so bad lol

Man that is so complicated. I want it sooooo bad.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The Pussy Boss posted:

Carlos Correa is hitting .211/.303/.378 and playing average defense, according to the metrics. Every Giants fan online had huge weepy meltdowns because we didn't give him $350 million, it's so funny to think about now.

IcePhoenix posted:

I think what you mean to say is that Carlos Correa is leading his team to first place in their division while Giants fans are suffering in third.

¿Por que no los dos?

eta: What's actually funny to me is that the foot Correa is having issues with is his not-bionic one. Like everyone shrieking "See! What a bust! Vindication!" is ignoring that it's a completely unrelated, common issue that is now diagnosed and has a treatment plan. PF is just something that happens to people that work on hard, flat surfaces and has a well-documented OT regimen.

If his plated ankle had exploded it'd be a lot more appropriate to gloat about dodging a bullet, but at the moment it's just hilarious sour grapes.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 1, 2023

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Merving hard even on the bench.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mevin' hard or hardly Mervin'?

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

These special ticket offers are always overpriced af, but these rule.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

rickiep00h posted:

¿Por que no los dos?

eta: What's actually funny to me is that the foot Correa is having issues with is his not-bionic one. Like everyone shrieking "See! What a bust! Vindication!" is ignoring that it's a completely unrelated, common issue that is now diagnosed and has a treatment plan. PF is just something that happens to people that work on hard, flat surfaces and has a well-documented OT regimen.

If his plated ankle had exploded it'd be a lot more appropriate to gloat about dodging a bullet, but at the moment it's just hilarious sour grapes.

It certainly seems theoretically possible that the problem could have been exasperated by compensating for one bad foot with the good foot. That sort of thing is common at least away from sports. But that’s all speculative at best from our perspective.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N:

https://twitter.com/ericstephen/status/1664313779566395405

V: maybe shoulda invested more in pitching this winter

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

An 1800 ft tall middle finger as Anthony Bass enters the field.

https://twitter.com/sebasti13730725/status/1664084263992545281?s=20

Edit: Someone was actually watching and waiting to hit the button rather than a coincidence

https://www.blogto.com/city/2023/06/cn-tower-pride-colours-anthony-bass/

quote:

The CN Tower's official lighting schedule stated that the tower would be illuminated in pink and blue on the night of May 31 to acknowledge Preeclampsia Awareness Month.

The Pride Month lighting schedule was only supposed to take effect today, on June 1. During this programming, a rainbow light show is planned for the bottom of every hour throughout the month.

Even if the calendar schedule somehow got messed up, Bass came out in relief at around 9:39 p.m., nowhere close to the "bottom of the hour" rainbow shows planned for Pride Month.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 2, 2023

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Cardinals are recalling Jordan Walker for some reason. Let's see if they gently caress up the development of another stud prospect

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Why are they putting up with Bass's antics he's already a fringe guy to begin with

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Intruder posted:

Why are they putting up with Bass's antics he's already a fringe guy to begin with

I don't know, there's really no way back from a government owned, world famous tourist attraction going out of its way to tell him personally to gently caress off. It's not like some intern messing around on the twitter account, I'm assuming there's multiple layers of approval needed to mess with the lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

IcePhoenix posted:

Good morning everyone did you know that the First Place Minnesota Twins have now won their season series against both teams that were in the ALCS last year

Don't want this important fact missed. Also as a question, does anyone remember or have a link to the "DENARD SPAN TOOK A WALK" video?