Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Chief McHeath posted:

I think if you're talking about youth baseball, you can follow the money in other ways too. Within a city, which schools are getting public money for athletics, how much are they getting, and is there a disparity between schools? Are certain schools having to divert money away from athletics because other areas are underfunded? Are schools in certain areas getting favorable selection for grants over others? City parks the same, which parks have at least a backstop and bases, if not a full fence and dugouts, are secure and maintained? What neighborhoods are the parks that don't have those?

I would love to see stats on American players and how big the communities they grew up in are. I'd be shocked if there were more than a handful that even lived in anything approaching a "city".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

DeepDickPizza posted:

I would love to see stats on American players and how big the communities they grew up in are. I'd be shocked if there were more than a handful that even lived in anything approaching a "city".

Tons of players come from the same areas and they play against each other in High School/travel ball. You hear it all the time on broadcast where it's like "Kris Bryant and Bryce Harper where teammates in travel ball!" and that's because all the best players get funneled into these programs.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

DeepDickPizza posted:

prepare to be shocked https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-22/the-cities-that-produce-the-most-mlb-players

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

I want to be shocked, but I wonder what this "metro area" wrinkle is. I'm much more inclined to believe that pro ball players come from Naperville than Chicago proper.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/davehrus/status/1664660157324832771?s=46&t=MxSWLrHa8IyQxFDEl61IPw

Merrimack owns lol

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

FlamingLiberal posted:

If he misses that much time it’s essentially another wasted season

He’s also not getting any younger so I wonder if they just cut bait on him

I wonder if there are any high level front office folks really advocating for him at this point. I think this is his 3rd GM, likely 2nd or 3rd minor league coordinator, at least the 2nd manager, etc. He is a remnant of past front office regimes, so I wonder if he has any true "fans" left at an influential level.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Man, make sure you don't flip over the fence if you try to rob a homerun at Profile

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Bottom left should have a tenth player at the softball home plate who can bat it right back

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

No Safe Word posted:

To be fair to Jim Joyce he absolutely admitted he hosed it up after the game

Now he just needs to apologize for writing a lovely book they made me read in AP English.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm going to be in St. Louis at the end of the month for a work trip so I'm going to catch a Cardinals/Astros game.

If I've got a rental car and I'm staying at a hotel in St. Charles, should I try to drive and park or just get a cab?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
N: Milwaukee is calling up Jon Singleton

V: The Obi-Wan Kenobi quote

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

DeepDickPizza posted:

I want to be shocked, but I wonder what this "metro area" wrinkle is. I'm much more inclined to believe that pro ball players come from Naperville than Chicago proper.

Yea metro area is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. Like Jack Suwinski is the first player from the Chicago public school league to ever make the bigs (according to the pirates broadcast crew, at least).

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

DeepDickPizza posted:

Well I live in North Carolina and according to MLB.tv blackout rules I live in the Washington DC metro area

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm going to be in St. Louis at the end of the month for a work trip so I'm going to catch a Cardinals/Astros game.

If I've got a rental car and I'm staying at a hotel in St. Charles, should I try to drive and park or just get a cab?

Cab is probably gonna be pretty expensive roundtrip to the park from St. Charles. Parking isn't too bad (or maybe it is now, but there are some lots that are probably a 10 minute walk to the park that are less than $20).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not that it’s a huge surprise, but Stephen Strasburg seems permanently broken

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1665017961625600002?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

An added note in the article is that the Nats don’t have disability insurance on that contract so they are hosed

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

is jameson taillon... BACK?????

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not that it’s a huge surprise, but Stephen Strasburg seems permanently broken

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1665017961625600002?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

An added note in the article is that the Nats don’t have disability insurance on that contract so they are hosed

Got his ring and body said "I'm good bro"

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

Signs point to YES

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

poor baseball card collectors that spent tens of thousands on strasburg rookie autos only for him to die

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

His stuff was incredibly expensive in like 2010

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Chief McHeath posted:

poor baseball card collectors that spent tens of thousands on strasburg rookie autos only for him to die

Druw Jones 1/1 Bowman auto is going for 250k. Some people are just insane

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

R.D. Mangles posted:

after last night taillon has edged out wisdom as the betting favorite for world series mvp at the vegas sports books. can't say i'm surprised by this.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

White Sox win on a walk off wild pitch that drilled the ump in the face

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

White Sox win on a walk off wild pitch that drilled the ump in the face

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1665099800377802753

96 mph dead center of the face mask

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Now he just needs to apologize for writing a lovely book they made me read in AP English.

James Joyce owns but I can understand how AP English would strip out the most important thing about his work which is that it is supposed to be very funny and in fact is

Like how they try to teach Shakespeare to high schoolers without the bawdy puns, why even bother

elentar fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 4, 2023

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I wonder how many inside-the-park dingers get hit to LF at Merrimack

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Everyone!! Everyone, I carry massive news

Luis Arraez has gone 5/5 and raised his average to .390. We’re back in it baseball fans

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Love that Arraez trade

Too bad our other off-season infield acquisition was Jean Segura who I guess forgot how to hit

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Fast Luck posted:

Everyone!! Everyone, I carry massive news

Luis Arraez has gone 5/5 and raised his average to .390. We’re back in it baseball fans

I am legitimately waiting for the point that a single game is only relevant for maybe a thousandth. That's when the will-he-won't-he argument is gonna be rad. If we're a week out and he's sitting at .394 or something it's gonna be madness.

If his eyeball falls out at the ASG then whatever.

Basically right now I have anticipation anticipation. Will he "will he or won't he."

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1665143062568349696

Dreaded "forearm tightness" claims another victim

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm glad the Astros managed to come through this lighter part of the schedule with a good record because the schedule's about to get brutal

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Man Will Smith is such a legit player, he gets lost in the mix a bit with all the superstars

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
https://twitter.com/talkinyanks/status/1665169264452435971?s=46&t=wU3oRpVETLxmz32NRY3KIQ

Amazing play.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The punchline is that the umps decided that Judge had "gone out of play" so they rewarded the runner on an extra base.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheSavBananas/status/1665189638107955201?s=20

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

STAC Goat posted:

The punchline is that the umps decided that Judge had "gone out of play" so they rewarded the runner on an extra base.

To be fair, he definitely did, even if it is one of the more badass ways to do so.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Squall posted:

To be fair, he definitely did, even if it is one of the more badass ways to do so.

Its an incredibly silly "letter of the law" ruling. He did nothing but make the play and the stadium broke. Meanwhile the runner theoretically had an opportunity to advance while Judge was recovering to throw the ball in. He didn't. But he gets a base anyway. Its very dumb.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

STAC Goat posted:

Its an incredibly silly "letter of the law" ruling. He did nothing but make the play and the stadium broke. Meanwhile the runner theoretically had an opportunity to advance while Judge was recovering to throw the ball in. He didn't. But he gets a base anyway. Its very dumb.

It's the same thing as if you tumble into the stands or dugout or something when making a catch. I agree it is made all the more dumb that it happened because the stadium broke though.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I’m kinda surprised that doesn’t happen more often really, those bullpen gates have never looked very secure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Not really sure of the thought process in leading off a guy with a 39 wRC+ but David Ross has his reasons.