Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
from what I've been able to gather, twitter implemented it exactly as instructed and only allowed twitter's back end to request tweets from users up to a certain limit. Except they didn't tell the front end that this limit was in place, so the front kept bombarding the back with requests for tweets, the back refused and so the site basically DDOS'd itself. Of course this also happened to fall on the day when twitter was due to pay google a $1bn fee for using their cloud infrastructure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The entire Volpe drama feels like some kind of nonsense just made up because of expectations of Yankee fans. He wasn’t getting booed. There was no vitriol directed at him that I saw or screaming that he was a bust. The most I saw were the same vitriol at the organization saying they had failed him by skipping AAA, often from people who had insisted that should happen. But like there was even a split on whether Volpe’s clear struggles were worth a demotion compared to his successes. The balance was definitely shifting but it was hardly a thing the way all these other players get.

It just seems like a lot of people wanted there to be histrionic noise and were trying to stoke it up. You know. Trolls.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

duomo posted:

Adley came up a couple months into the season due to an injury during ST but he did slump at first; it was 20 games before he had his first RBI

The learning curve at the MLB level is really drat tough

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

they combined it with limiting non paid accounts to 600 read tweets per day

seems like good business sense

It's been pointed out that this "rate limiting" is coming on the first day of Q3 and right after Twitter apparently stiffed Google on a $1B bill to renew infrastructure services. Given their insane decline in ad revenue it's entirely possible Twitter just doesn't have the liquidity to keep all the lights on and this supposed rate limiting is just a quick and dirty bandaid to limit resource utilization and act as a catch all excuse for features on the site breaking.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Love the Musk move. The less access to Twitter people have, the better

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

STAC Goat posted:

It just seems like a lot of people wanted there to be histrionic noise and were trying to stoke it up. You know. Trolls.

Ever since I stopped reading Reddit the Volpe drama has fallen off my radar. The Yankees subreddit makes WFAN callers look mentally stable.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Well Played Mauer posted:

Love the Musk move. The less access to Twitter people have, the better

Gonna have to return to the old ways we used to disseminate news before social media decided it wanted to consume literally all of society. If we can even remember how we did that.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
this is frankly ludicrous

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
No one was saying anything bad about Volpe other than "man he looks lost for the last few weeks" a couple weeks ago

Now Donaldson on the other hand...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As I said any noise I heard about Volpe was directed at the organization. Or from Yankee haters at the fanbase trying to drum up this idea that he had been overrated and/or turned on. But most people have seemed sober on Volpe. He’s a rookie. He’s gonna struggle. Maybe the struggles were starting to become a detriment to his development. He turned it around.

The rest is just the usual toxic noise from within and without.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There is no volpe drama lol

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

And then ESPN had laid off the graphic, despite it working there for 15 years.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

elentar posted:

this is frankly ludicrous

It's like they're playing against the Cubs pitching staff in 2017.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Nathan Eovaldi is having quite a good season. I’m glad the Rangers picked him up.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Glad to see the big players-only we-gotta-turn-it-around meeting the Twins had paid off for one single game. 0-4 RISP, scoring a single run on a solo homer, and Lewis pulling up lame to first and leaving the game.

And 12 strikeouts. We deserve to lose to the wild card. What a bunch of bums.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I mean I still don't see Volpe as a SS long term and I still feel he was an overhyped prospect. But he's gonna lock down at least one side of the middle infield for the next decade plus.

I just wouldn't expect him to ever be an elite player. Good to fringe all star player? Sure!

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Nathan Eovaldi is having quite a good season. I’m glad the Rangers picked him up.

Most underrated signing they made IMO.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
N: Luke Voit forgot his shirt and sleeves

V:

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

mcmagic posted:

There is no volpe drama lol

I feel like there's drama around the lack of drama. The worst most anyone has said is "he needs some time down to get his confidence back," not "he should be shot into the sun like Zod." Which is admittedly weird.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Well Played Mauer posted:

I feel like there's drama around the lack of drama. The worst most anyone has said is "he needs some time down to get his confidence back," not "he should be shot into the sun like Zod." Which is admittedly weird.

It's not weird. He's a rookie. Those aren't the guys who fans hate... That is reserved for guys who are paid like stars and don't preform.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
noted guy paid like a star who is not performing IKF

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Redeye Flight posted:

Gonna have to return to the old ways we used to disseminate news before social media decided it wanted to consume literally all of society. If we can even remember how we did that.

Turns out yahoo had the right idea all along.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Oh good, I see the Astros are punting on today's game and skipping Framber's start to give Shawn Dubin his first ever start. This is going to potentially be ugly

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

And then ESPN had laid off the graphic, despite it working there for 15 years.

lmao

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1675496879902150658

Even God doesn't want Taillon to start today

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

I don't think IKF has gotten a very large share of fan hatred.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Not this year, but last year when he was slugging like 250 and booting grounders he was

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

maffew buildings posted:

I mean, giving a glove-only shortstop 6m to play left field doesn't sound great.

Intruder posted:

Oh good, I see the Astros are punting on today's game and skipping Framber's start to give Shawn Dubin his first ever start. This is going to potentially be ugly

Its a time honored tradition of the Rangers to get shut down by rookies making their first start, regardless of pedigree.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1675496879902150658

Even God doesn't want Taillon to start today

Oh hell there's a home game today too? Between that and NASCAR the red line is gonna be a mess. Glad I'm not home.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
The Cubs have one of the best pitchers in the League (the best ERA I believe), phenomenal players like Nico Hoerner, Dansby Swanson, and (in my opinion) Seiya Suzuki, and are stationed in the second largest city in the US with the most expensive ballpark tickets and yet they're 4th in the League at the time of this post. They really need a few good sluggers (and the Shogun of Swat of course but everyone needs Ohtani) to round out their offense in my opinion. I'm not savvy with trade talks or even how that all works but they really need to prioritize offense while keeping all their good defensive players.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mcmagic posted:

Do we REALLY need to dig up how much you have bitched about IKF?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Naz al-Ghul posted:

The Cubs have one of the best pitchers in the League (the best ERA I believe), phenomenal players like Nico Hoerner, Dansby Swanson, and (in my opinion) Seiya Suzuki, and are stationed in the second largest city in the US with the most expensive ballpark tickets and yet they're 4th in the League at the time of this post. They really need a few good sluggers (and the Shogun of Swat of course but everyone needs Ohtani) to round out their offense in my opinion. I'm not savvy with trade talks or even how that all works but they really need to prioritize offense while keeping all their good defensive players.

Ohtani really does make sense for the Cubs, he's a #1 starter which they need and a huge power bat which they really really need. I don't have much confidence they will unload the vault to get him even though he will rake in money for the org. Cubs could absolutely afford him, I just hate how they pretend they aren't up there with the Dodgers and Yankees financially.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Naz al-Ghul posted:

The Cubs are still the only team with a positive run differential in the NL Central at +26. They're not great offensively, but they're still top half of the majors in team OPS. The next best run differential in the division is Milwaukee at -19. Going by pythag, the Cubs should be leading the division by 3 games. They have 10 saves all year, which is the lowest in the majors. Practically every single game is either a blowout win or a blowout loss.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Timby posted:

Do we REALLY need to dig up how much you have bitched about IKF?

The trade was a horrible trade! Still is.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Popete posted:

Ohtani really does make sense for the Cubs, he's a #1 starter which they need and a huge power bat which they really really need. I don't have much confidence they will unload the vault to get him even though he will rake in money for the org. Cubs could absolutely afford him, I just hate how they pretend they aren't up there with the Dodgers and Yankees financially.

Every team can afford to pay him lol

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Popete posted:

Cubs could absolutely afford him, I just hate how they pretend they aren't up there with the Dodgers and Yankees financially.

This is the problem for me. We're not the Pirates or the Athletics, this isn't a poverty franchise. Unless the money is getting siphoned out for some Crook County shenanigans, we should be acting almost as rich as the Yankees.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Cubs are still the only team with a positive run differential in the NL Central at +26. They're not great offensively, but they're still top half of the majors in team OPS. The next best run differential in the division is Milwaukee at -19. Going by pythag, the Cubs should be leading the division by 3 games. They have 10 saves all year, which is the lowest in the majors. Practically every single game is either a blowout win or a blowout loss.

They should be but they're not and it's like they're allergic to being .500+. Somebody likened NL Central to being a knife fight to the bottom was right, great assessment of the division as a whole.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Naz al-Ghul posted:

This is the problem for me. We're not the Pirates or the Athletics, this isn't a poverty franchise. Unless the money is getting siphoned out for some Crook County shenanigans, we should be acting almost as rich as the Yankees.

The Pirates and A's can also 100% afford Ohtani. Every ownership conglomerate is made up of billionaires, and sports team ownership is a business expense.

The money being syphoned out of the Cubs is going to the pockets of the Rickettses and their GOP federal candidates.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

mcmagic posted:

The trade was a horrible trade! Still is.

I applaud your total inability to make any posts that you yourself don't contradict at a later date, except for how you never shut the gently caress up about how awful the Yankees are. And I am referencing your bitching about IKF last year, not the quoted post. Namaste voice of WFAN poster.

edit: for reference I will say again McMagic is the only good Yankees poster imo

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

rickiep00h posted:

The Pirates and A's can also 100% afford Ohtani. Every ownership conglomerate is made up of billionaires, and sports team ownership is a business expense.

The money being syphoned out of the Cubs is going to the pockets of the Rickettses and their GOP federal candidates.

Yes it’s this. Ricketts knows he can make a ton of money with a league average team that doesn’t cost much. He’s also probably leveraged up to his eye balls buying up and developing Wrigleyville. Still no reason the Cubs can’t spend money aside from the Ricketts’s reluctance to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I have never seen a good team play this poorly against their own division. Jays are currently 7-19 (.269%) against their own division, and 38-20 (.655%) against the rest of the league.