Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

when was the last time that someone moved to the English league after managing one of the Old Firm clubs and wasn't immediately shite?

although tbf I'm trying to think of anyone other than Ferguson that ever came south and managed to be not shite (neither Busby, Shankly nor Big Davey Moyes ever managed in Scotland) but I'm sure there's an obvious one I'm missing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Martin O'Neill was good at Villa after managing Celtic

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

sebzilla posted:

Rodgers (and maybe Lou Macari, if you squint real hard) also technically qualifies on that basis, until he was shite, but they're both dudes who were good at a mid-table club in England, went to Celtic, won every domestic trophy and had people name their kids after them, then went back to England and took a job at a mid-table club

I'm starting to think that Scottish football might just not be that hard

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

sebzilla posted:

Dear Football Santa this summer I would like for Manchester United to sign a goalkeeper and a striker and a midfielder lots of love from sebzilla aged 33 don't sign your posts

But yeah, if nothing else we'll need to replace the dudes going out as all indications are that Weghorst and Sabitzer haven't done enough to justify paying a transfer fee for them (tbh I'd take both as squad players if they were on a free). You have to believe that Harry Maguire is also likely to be told to get on his bike and look for a credible fee this summer, and Martial and Sancho are probably both on borrowed time unless something changes.

Garnacho and Anthony are able to fill that Sancho gap, but that's still four additional players you have to bring in just to cover the gaps in the squad that meant bringing dudes like Weghorst and Sabitzer in on short-term loans in the first place, plus potentially a goalkeeper.

I've been banging the Dean Henderson drum for some time, but I think that bridge is burnt and he'll go to Forest permanently.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i hope the big wigs at United think getting a GK is "too much to do" on top of what they have to do now, and give De Gea a 2-3 year deal

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
I'm gutted to see Big Ange leave to be honest, he came in under terrible circumstances and turned us into a very good side domestically. He's a much more popular coach than pretty much any Celtic manager since O'Neil.

I'm not sure how he's going to do at Spurs because, it's Spurs, but even just going to the EPL in general will be interesting to see. He has a set way of playing with inverted fullbacks, a very high press and scoring the exact same cut back goal 50 times a season that dominated in Scotland against hammer throwers but we barely got a win in Europe in two whole seasons when we came up against better players and coaches. The flip side is he'll have much better players himself now.

Also it usually takes him about 3-4 months or so to get his teams up to speed, and I'm not sure he'll get that time. He lost 3 of his first 6 league games for us.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

UnderFreddy posted:

i hope the big wigs at United think getting a GK is "too much to do" on top of what they have to do now, and give De Gea a 2-3 year deal

honestly: if we got a backup CB, a couple of midfielders, and a quality striker, I don't think keeping De Gea #1 for next season would be the worst outcome in the world

people have gotten in their heads that he's some kind of flailing Roy Carroll idiot who needs to make a saving throw against Fear Of Airborne Balls every time the opposition have a shot (because they keep seeing that Roy Keane doesn't rate him), but that's never really been true

his problem is that he's about thirty years out of date - he'll make a couple of saves each season that I don't think any other keeper is getting a glove to, but he just can't do the sweeper keeper thing that modern fancy football tactics requires

he's not the future, and needs to be replaced sooner rather than later, but United's big issue is ultimately not that their catchman caught less balls than the other teams' catchmen this season

FullLeatherJacket fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 4, 2023

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

FullLeatherJacket posted:

honestly: if we got a back CB, a couple of midfielders, and a quality striker, I don't think keeping De Gea #1 for next season would be the worst outcome in the world

people have gotten in their heads that he's some kind of flailing Roy Carroll idiot who needs to make a saving throw against Fear Of Airborne Balls every time the opposition have a shot (because they keep seeing that Roy Keane doesn't rate him), but that's never really been true

his problem is that he's about thirty years out of date - he'll make a couple of saves each season that I don't think any other keeper is getting a glove to, but he just can't do the sweeper keeper thing that modern fancy football tactics requires

he's not the future, and needs to be replaced sooner rather than later, but United's big issue is ultimately not that their catchman caught less balls than the other teams' catchmen this season

The problem is that the entire team has to play in a different way to compensate for him, and it's holding back any attempt to build a modern team.

And he's also made several absolute loving howlers so even "he's good at stopping shots" is wearing thin.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

FullLeatherJacket posted:

honestly: if we got a back CB, a couple of midfielders, and a quality striker, I don't think keeping De Gea #1 for next season would be the worst outcome in the world

I think a keeper is and have been for a few years by far the biggest priority, and keeping him would be a monumental disaster.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

He can't pass, he can't sweep, he can't communicate, he can't command his box or catch a cross, and he goes down clutching his face when Fred steps on his toe. His major redeeming quality used to be world class shot stopping, but the last few seasons he's been literally middle of the pack for PL keepers in that department too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Todd Boehly has found new and fun ways to gently caress around with transfers

https://twitter.com/Millar_Colin/status/1665472427155939337?s=20

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Jose posted:

this seems somewhat unsustainable

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it no doubt breaks some sort of EU law

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Will be interested to see how Postecoglou gets on at Spurs, he’s won titles in Australia and Japan with pretty unfancied teams so there’s clearly something there.

His time as Australia coach was a bit mixed: we loving sucked at the 2014 World Cup with him in charge (though he was phasing out the Golden Generation, plus we were drawn with Spain, Netherlands and Chile), but then we won the 2015 Asian Cup and qualified for the 2018 WC though he left before the actual tournament for some reason.

Feel like he’s definitely a better manager than Gerrard, but it’s also a challenging time to take over Spurs, particularly if Kane leaves.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I’ve not watched a ton of United games this year so perhaps y’all mancs can enlighten me, but is De Gea really that bad? Like, I know he has howlers occasionally since they make the rounds in highlights and social media, but he just won the golden glove. Seems like a bit of past bias playing into the current moment unless Varane and the back line have actually been that monumental in United’s fortunes this year (again, haven’t watched very much)

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Rangers coming up to Butland

e: Rangers asking for Butland services

e2: Rangers desperate for Butland insertion

Bea Nanner fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 5, 2023

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

unless Varane and the back line have actually been that monumental in United’s fortunes this year (again, haven’t watched very much)

Varane/Martinez (in particular)/Casemiro have been that monumental.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Jose posted:

Don’t worry it’s all collapsed.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Just what Chelsea were missing. A midfielder.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
don't you see, midfielders are the moneyball player. you just stack enough of them onto the pitch and then you win.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Hm no doubt Chelsea will turn to trying to sign Caceido instead now, and Boehly can try and do what he seemingly wanted to do in a first place and buy part of a MASSIVE football team like Brighton & Hove Albion.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

karmicknight posted:

don't you see, midfielders are the moneyball player. you just stack enough of them onto the pitch and then you win.

hello Pep

although these days it's all about centre backs apparently. Tony Pulis was ahead of his time.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Pep turning John Stones into Javier Mascherano sure has been something to watch.

Although I think it was also Pep who turned Mascherano into one of the best centerbacks in the world

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

He's nowhere near as good as Mascherano when it comes to the important poo poo like diving and ref crowding.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Chelsea are aiming to be like banks in 2008, where they are so intertwined with other clubs that relegating them collapses five other European leagues

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Big Ange is a great coach but as has been mentioned he needs time to get his teams playing well; unfortunately people will just assume he’s not good enough to manage in the Prem if Spurs don’t immediately play well.

Also I’ve eaten at his mum’s cafe in Melbourne but didn’t realise until I was leaving and saw a bunch of his state league manager of the month trophies on the back wall. The food was ok.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Dudley posted:

Just what Chelsea were missing. A midfielder.

They need a defensive minded midfielder real bad, they don't really have any in the squad right now.

And if Kova leaves only Enzo and Kante can play there. And both seem to do better with someone to anchor the midfield.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the Guardian are reporting that Liverpool have signed Mac Allister, subject to a medical, with contract agreed until 2028 and the fee set by a release clause in the contract he signed not long before the World Cup. The fee is unspecified in the article but is reportedly "significantly less than the £60m that has been mentioned"

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ornstein, who I trust more than myself, reported a month ago that he doesn't have a release clause, but a weird clause that can help facilitate a move that Brightson still has to agree to.

Fake e: LOL that guardian article is from Romano

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

I’ve not watched a ton of United games this year so perhaps y’all mancs can enlighten me, but is De Gea really that bad? Like, I know he has howlers occasionally since they make the rounds in highlights and social media, but he just won the golden glove. Seems like a bit of past bias playing into the current moment unless Varane and the back line have actually been that monumental in United’s fortunes this year (again, haven’t watched very much)

He’s a pretty drat good shot stopper, still one of the best in the league imo
But..
He can’t play out from the back
His long kicking isn’t great
He can’t sweep
He’s not good in the air
He doesn’t command the box
His penalty record is atrocious- that one he stopped from Mitrovic a few weeks back was I think his first in the league for like 9 years
I think he led the league this season in mistakes leading directly to a goal

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

sebzilla posted:

Didn't his transfer shenanigans play a big role in getting them relegated, though? I remember him spending substantial money (especially given Villa's resources at the time) on mediocre players who rarely played and the consequences of having to correct that ultimately sent them down.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

It basically comes down to the argument above, where United's success this season has mainly been in conceding very few goals (even given a couple of blowouts) and then scoring marginally more, giving us a goal difference just ahead of Brentford but third place in the league. Part of that is to have the back four sit deep with Casemiro in front of them, which is good and goes back to what Solskjaer did in his first year before everyone started bitching and Ronaldo showed up (except for the Casemiro bit), but the suggestion is then that doing so inhibits the ability of the team to press higher or play joined-up attacking football that isn't largely reliant on wingers bombing on and falling over for a penalty.

But as long as De Gea is in place, you're pretty much wedded to that because he's going to stand stock still on his six-yard line headbanging to Avenged Sevenfold whether there's a ball over the top or the stadium starts flooding.

That said, I'm definitely with you that there's a weird element that reacts to losing in a competitive final by drawing up lists of players who aren't good enough to wear the shirt and preparing for hari-kiri if they're not immediately sold this summer and we just paper over the cracks by signing loving Neymar and Harry Kane

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
has anyone said ted didgeridoo yet

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Thankfully not.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Eau de MacGowan posted:

has anyone said ted didgeridoo yet

https://twitter.com/kieran_n17/status/1665807630416113664

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Zaha going to Al Nassr apparently

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
whenever i see the numbers being bandied about i think about how saudi arabia doesn't publish its poverty statistics
https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1666146566975914004

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
now he literally purchase underage women for sex!

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Ah, so Saudi Arabia truly has replaced China as the "throw a ton of money at old footballers to have them come play in our poo poo league" country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If Saudi can compete financially to the point that every other league gives up trying to sign the "best" players for £100m+ then it could be good for the prem