Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Ah, so Saudi Arabia truly has replaced China as the "throw a ton of money at old footballers to have them come play in our poo poo league" country.

saudi arabia actually has money tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Reuniting BBC in the inaugural footgolf masters

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Saudi and China feel like they have/had totally different end goals in mind though. China had said they wanted to be a global force with a strong national team etc etc, and one way to do that was bring in top foreign players, coaches and administrators to Chinese clubs, who can help in developing local talent and thus improving the league’s quality, and therefore the national side too.

Saudi just seems to be throwing squillions at aging superstars like Ronaldo, Benzema, probably Messi and Neymar too so that I dunno, people spend money to watch? The world’s best over-35s league? Be impressed by the glorious House of Saud? It’s not really clear to me.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

webmeister posted:

Saudi and China feel like they have/had totally different end goals in mind though. China had said they wanted to be a global force with a strong national team etc etc, and one way to do that was bring in top foreign players, coaches and administrators to Chinese clubs, who can help in developing local talent and thus improving the league’s quality, and therefore the national side too.

Saudi just seems to be throwing squillions at aging superstars like Ronaldo, Benzema, probably Messi and Neymar too so that I dunno, people spend money to watch? The world’s best over-35s league? Be impressed by the glorious House of Saud? It’s not really clear to me.

It's sports washing. They are paying for celebrities people respect and listen to to tell them Saudi Arabia is a futuristic cool metropolis and neom definitely isn't a crime against humanity

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
bread and circuses

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
a bit lacking on the bread, however

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
except figuratively

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

https://theathletic.com/4587862/2023/06/06/lionel-messi-inter-miami-barcelona/

Tl;Dr or don't have a subscription, Saudi Arabia not in contention.
Its between Barcelona and Inter Miami.
MLS, Apple, and Adidas throwing everything in to convince him to come stateside. Apple offering him a percentage of all MLS subscriber money that join if he comes. MLS offering him ownership stake in a team. Adidas not said, but something?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

webmeister posted:

MBS is playing Pro Evo in real life.

Also talking bad about the Saudi league on Twitter is a good way to get a whole lot of Arabic thrown back at you, they don’t like people pointing out they’ve got a Mickey Mouse league that somehow produces teams that go deep in the AFC Champions League.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

harperdc posted:

Also talking bad about the Saudi league on Twitter is a good way to get a whole lot of Arabic thrown back at you, they don’t like people pointing out they’ve got a Mickey Mouse league that somehow produces teams that go deep in the AFC Champions League.

Lost to good ol’ Urawa though!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bea Nanner posted:

a bit lacking on the bread, however

Bread knives though, especially if a journalist has stepped out of line, are plentiful

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

cagliostr0 posted:

It's sports washing. They are paying for celebrities people respect and listen to to tell them Saudi Arabia is a futuristic cool metropolis and neom definitely isn't a crime against humanity

I think it's a combo of this and this:

harperdc posted:

Saudi Arabia has unlimited money and a bad reputation and they're into football now so of course they're going to spend billions bringing 40-year-old superstars to play in their Mickey Mouse league and cut promos about how much they love it, that's just what new money does in the world of football.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TwoStepBoog posted:

https://theathletic.com/4587862/2023/06/06/lionel-messi-inter-miami-barcelona/

Tl;Dr or don't have a subscription, Saudi Arabia not in contention.
Its between Barcelona and Inter Miami.
MLS, Apple, and Adidas throwing everything in to convince him to come stateside. Apple offering him a percentage of all MLS subscriber money that join if he comes. MLS offering him ownership stake in a team. Adidas not said, but something?

I hope MLS goes out of business

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1666178209942056962?s=46&t=ivJm_jlUZMB50BTDgxktcg

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
ten million per game, goddamn

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Saudi Arabia has unlimited money and a bad reputation and they're into football now so of course they're going to spend billions bringing 40-year-old superstars to play in their Mickey Mouse league and cut promos about how much they love it, that's just what new money does in the world of football.

KSA is a surprisingly young country for average age of the population, and MBS and the others in charge are all millennials/young Gen-Xers in Western parlance. Saudi Arabian business has I think fully subsumed SNK-Playmore (MBS owns it through his own foundation apparently? wtf) and invested in Nintendo and some other games companies, tl;dr oil country being run by goddamned nerds who think purchasing Ronald and Messi now means they get their re-gens in a few years.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DeadlineDayLive/status/1666433203811364866

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

A day or two ago Barcelona fans were very smugly celebrating him coming back lmao

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bellingham to Real Madrid is close to done, initial fee of €100m, 6 year deal

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

TheRat posted:

A day or two ago Barcelona fans were very smugly celebrating him coming back lmao

it would have been very funny

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

This is much funnier.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheRat posted:

This is much funnier.

David Beckham is now Lionel Messi's boss, the Galacticos win again

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

vyelkin posted:

David Beckham is now Lionel Messi's boss, the Galacticos win again

We missed Phil Neville being his boss by mere weeks.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
wapner

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I've always been a big fan of Inter Miami and supported the gift of public land to them. I look forward to enjoying this new era

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

TheRat posted:

We missed Phil Neville being his boss by mere weeks.

this is what I mean when I say that Americans spoil all humour

just imagine Big Phil telling Lionel Messi how to be good at football, moving the salt shakers around while eating egg and beans

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/InterMiamiCF/status/1666525630454812686

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I'm not sure if it's more funny that Messi got offered twice as much money as Ronaldo to play in the same league or that he rejected it because he'd rather give up $1.2bn than live in Saudi Arabia.

Don't think he'll do badly regardless
https://twitter.com/DeadlineDayLive/status/1666520610309021698?t=vvtq5DPmlE93qYExbx5VHg&s=19

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I have a feeling he'll probably not starve.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Dude could have gone back to Barcelona and been a legend/hero, instead he chose american money.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

He should have retired and just been a chill dude

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Considering all the tax issues and loving of Barcelona's wage structure he's been involved in over the years, I suspect he (and his agent father) rather likes money.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

TheRat posted:

Dude could have gone back to Barcelona and been a legend/hero, instead he chose american money.

Lol he's literally a legend/ hero there already, probably their greatest ever. Anyone would snap up that money in a heartbeat. Tbh 90% of people would probably take the bigger Saudi payout in the same situation.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 7, 2023

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

Anyone would snap up that money in a heartbeat.

Anyone who needs money, yes. Dude's already got more money than he and his children can ever spend.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

TheRat posted:

Anyone who needs money, yes. Dude's already got more money than he and his children can ever spend.

You'd turn down hundreds of millions of dollars even if you already had half a billion to play a bit of footy for a couple of years?

No one is doing that.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Plenty of people are doing that. For instance, Lionel Messi just did that.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

TheRat posted:

Plenty of people are doing that. For instance, Lionel Messi just did that.

Turning down the Saudi money to still get hundreds of millions from America isn't quite the same thing. Somehow don't think his legacy or hero status at Barca is affected either.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 7, 2023

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

if he went back to Barca they'd be leaking stories to the press about how his wages are hurting the club after six months

or he can go to loving seaworld every day

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm personally glad Messi is going to Inter Miami, one of only two recent clubs to be sanctioned by the league for financial irregularities. It would've sucked for him to sign with LAFC and immediately be with a contender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:
https://twitter.com/FavianRenkel/status/1666491791712071685?s=20

He's the Lebron James of soccer