Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

The external battery supports up to 2 hours of use, and all‑day use when plugged in.1

You can't loving call it all day use when plugged in.

I guess my toaster oven has all day use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

triple sulk posted:

it's even better! you get to scan your face using the cameras on the front to make a 3d avatar of yourself that people see!

I mean I legit would love that ar head of me right now. I feel awkward on video calls because the camera placements and poo poo are weird and it would be cool if I could just scan my face and then turn off my camera forever.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean I legit would love that ar head of me right now. I feel awkward on video calls because the camera placements and poo poo are weird and it would be cool if I could just scan my face and then turn off my camera forever.

I’d prefer my potential shy coworkers just turn off the cam instead of using their persona thing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I wonder if the virtual facetime avatar falls asleep when you do. If not that would be great narcolepsy cover.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Jesus christ

Boris Galerkin posted:

One of the dumb 3d avatar tools you can use right now is 1000% better than the uncanny valley junk. Also gently caress any person/company forcing cameras on (not saying your's does).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
They should have put a wireless HDMI chip in it to stream console games to the drat thing. Shameful.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wasn’t there thing about Apple employees saying it was undercooked, but Tim threw a big fit about making it happen sooner rather than later? It would explain a lot.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

Wasn’t there thing about Apple employees saying it was undercooked, but Tim threw a big fit about making it happen sooner rather than later? It would explain a lot.

supposedly like he wants to retire soon but wanted this to be his 'legacy'

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"undercooked" lol i see what u did

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

He wanted another "One More Thing" moment. Guess the Apple Watch didn't cut it.

*Also the one more thing doesn't hit the same on pre-recorded video.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Skeezy posted:

He wanted another "One More Thing" moment. Guess the Apple Watch didn't cut it.

*Also the one more thing doesn't hit the same on pre-recorded video.

You're just not watching with the right people

https://twitter.com/mermorph/status/1138487952840024064

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP8NiQj4TEg

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Got me all hype for Smash Bros character reveals. Miss those days.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Lol

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

bobfather posted:

Loved the lady on the plane using the dial to immerse herself in a desert while watching a movie rather than the hell on Earth that is flying economy these days.

But you can buy a Business Class ticket for $3,499

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I can smell that room from the video. Jesus Christ.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I mean, if you're 80 years old and bed ridden, this thing looks amazing I suppose.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

There's all sorts of glasses out now that will do the 'black everything out and watch three screens' deal. You just dont get the fancy tracking. Oh also you lose a decimal place in the price. loving lol at this thing.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Kirios posted:

Think of the absolute incredible living room setup you could buy for 3499.

$3499 is like a small sectional and a decent coffee table

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

magiccarpet posted:

There's all sorts of glasses out now that will do the 'black everything out and watch three screens' deal. You just dont get the fancy tracking. Oh also you lose a decimal place in the price. loving lol at this thing.

theyre not 4k oled though

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Dying that Apple Glass is somehow worse than Google Glass

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

$3500 starting, and if you have vision problems then gently caress you, cough up what is going to be another large sum of money for proprietary Zeiss prescription lens inserts.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was hating on this, but $3,499 is really not that much money if it really does pull off a completely immersive experience with lifelike video, is enjoyable to wear and there are useful apps, $3,500 won't even get you a decent vacation and Apple will almost certainly offer attractive financing on them.

If though, I got an Oculus Quest for Christmas and it was like the coolest thing in the world for like a week and haven't used it since then.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 5, 2023

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

illcendiary posted:

$3499 is like a small sectional and a decent coffee table

It's the price of 85-90" TVs, after tax

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The front page of news, announcing the product:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Astro7x posted:

I mean, if you're 80 years old and bed ridden, this thing looks amazing I suppose.

Mee-maw good news we aren't going to send you to a home, and we found a more economical way to care for you, believe it or not.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Atoramos posted:

It's the price of 85-90" TVs, after tax

And the price of small, kinda decent furniture, as much as that sucks. All I’m saying is $3500 won’t leave you with much of a living room setup unless you’re okay with a folding chair and a big TV

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick posted:

Mee-maw good news we aren't going to send you to a home, and we found a more economical way to care for you, believe it or not.

The good news is she won't care about the battery life.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

So I’m understanding this correctly, when it shows your eyes on the exterior, it’s a video feed of your face, not a pass-through right? Just seems outrageously creepy to me

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

illcendiary posted:

And the price of small, kinda decent furniture, as much as that sucks. All I’m saying is $3500 won’t leave you with much of a living room setup unless you’re okay with a folding chair and a big TV

It's less than the price of 10 touch screen toasters.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

If this wasn’t so incredibly out of the affordability range of one of my friends that is like 85% home-bound, this would be unironically awesome for him. It’s all the stuff he wishes the Oculus Quest was, but also when you’re largely bedridden it’s hard to make the money necessary to afford $3500 electronic gadgets.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mawarannahr posted:

I want to see emoji reacts in iMessage instead of ❤️ 👍 👎 Ha Ha !! ??

FINALLY
iOS 17 Messages adds emoji tapbacks, stickers, audio message transcription, more

9to5mac.com posted:

Apple announced a bunch of new features for iMessage in iOS 17. This includes emoji tapbacks and a new emoji stickers interface. The little-used iMessage apps have also been hidden away behind a sub-menu, for a cleaner and simpler overall design.

Other new features include automatic transcriptions for voice messages. You can also Check In for end-to-end encrypted location sharing notifications with friends.
For busy group chats, iMessage will now make it easier for you to catch up later by automatically scrolling back to the first unread message.

‘Check In’ is a new feature that lets others know that you safely arrived at a destination. If you set up a check in session and you don’t arrive on schedule, your close friends in the conversation can be notified. You can also now do inline location sharing, with your location pinned on a map.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Three Olives posted:

I was hating on this, but $3,499 is really not that much money if it really does pull off a completely immersive experience with lifelike video, is enjoyable to wear and there are useful apps, $3,500 won't even get you a decent vacation and and Apple will almost certainly offer attractive financing on them.

illcendiary posted:

What a mindbending amount of privilege to contain in a handful of sentences.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Baronash posted:

What a mindbending amount of privilege to contain in a handful of sentences.

You must be new around here.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I guess if you have a super tiny office where space is a premium, but you don’t need a super high-end PC for basic office needs and you can get some tiny computers these days. And those allow for things like, you know, looking at another person’s screen to collaborate on something. And will be a fraction of the cost.

A TV isn’t even a good comparison, as a TV can entertain a room of people compared to the strictly one person use of the headset.

Like the consumer use of this is basically a bigger display with some extra bits that can largely be replicating by having your phone with you when watching a movie. Even the iPad, which is a fairly niche consumer use case, didn’t debut at this premium a price.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I mean, I think the headset is preposterously expensive and is going to fail. I just think comparing it to what you can get to outfit a living room is a weird way to frame it, again, unless you legitimately are just talking about TV screens

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

illcendiary posted:

I mean, I think the headset is preposterously expensive and is going to fail. I just think comparing it to what you can get to outfit a living room is a weird way to frame it, again, unless you legitimately are just talking about TV screens

Aren’t you the one that framed it that way?

And most people in the US can’t afford a $3,500 sectional and coffee table. They’re settling for the $500 sectional and $50 coffee table from Big Lots or Walmart.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
theyre prolly working on a VisionAir(tm) that plugs directly into an iPhone. it'll be cheaper by offloading compute to the phone.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SourKraut posted:

And most people in the US can’t afford a $3,500 sectional and coffee table. They’re settling for the $500 sectional and $50 coffee table from Big Lots or Walmart.

And a lot of “middle class” people are financing their $999 and $1999 full living room or master bedroom sets from Bob’s Discount Furniture or Raymour & Flanagan

the idea that $3500 can’t get you more than a pair of coffee tables or a small sofa is very “I only shop name brand”

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

SourKraut posted:

No:

Kirios posted:

Think of the absolute incredible living room setup you could buy for 3499.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

SourKraut posted:

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/res...%20%2469%2C717.

according to this the mean income in the US was nearly 100k in 2021 and the median was nearly 70k. that's a lot of millions of people that can afford it though.

i'm not defending the price, but it's clear there is a market for these high priced extravagances if you'd step back and look at the bigger picture

also, it's a first gen product. it's going to run like poo poo and be priced like poo poo. we can expect the 2nd gen to be cheaper and more accessible.