Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Skrillmub posted:

Scream 3
Texas Chain Saw Massacre 3
Child's Play 3
V/H/S 3

The Exorcist 3 is on my list, I'll get to it soon.

I genuinely think TCM3 is good. Nowhere near 1&2 but still fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'd also go to bat for Phantasm 3

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I used to hate F13 pt 3 but I rewatched it in October and it’s not half bad!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Part 3 and to a lesser extent Part 4 are the only ones where you have Jason in the iconic hockey mask but he's also still pretty much just a big lumbering guy. Part 5 is what it is and then by Part 6 Jason becomes an unstoppable undead monstrosity and the rest is history.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like in part 3 when Jason smashes his hockey mask on the window to break in. Idk that was just cool

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think I had always mentally confused Mark from pt2 and Shelley from pt3 somehow so I remembered the chubby guy with curly hair also being in a wheelchair and having that extremely gnarly death. Shelley's death is actually kinda lame.

I do like that pt3 has a small 3 person biker gang subplot for no reason though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I get F13 part 3 and part 4 confused all the time. I think part 4 is the biker.gang.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Biker gang is Part 3, I remember that because Shelley is the one who antagonizes them at the convenience store.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Part 4 is just Crispin Glover whining to everyone about being a dead gently caress for an hour before the fun starts

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

EY TED?? Where is the CORCKUHscreww!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Crispin Glover dancing, as only he can. Or would.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So the story behind the dance is that they were playing totally different music on set that Glover was dancing to and then when they did the sound they set a totally different song that was playing. So he's not actually dancing to that specific music .

Its still a weird as gently caress dance.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Now everyone can play their own music on their computer and watch Crispin dance to it.

He's dancing to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zbi0XmGtMw

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

whenever someone making a relatively mainstream piece of media decides "gently caress it, put Crispin in" the results are always great and unpredictable fun. he was making some CHOICES in that Pickman's Model episode of Cabinet of Curiosities

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Iirc he was originally dancing to AC/DC Back in Black in that scene

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I announced it to my friends which means I have to do it now so later this month gonna start crowdfunding for this

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CelticPredator posted:

I announced it to my friends which means I have to do it now so later this month gonna start crowdfunding for this

Oooooooh! Kids vs. Aliens is my favorite underrepresented genre so I'm very here for this!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Alien looks like they got a handful of cum

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Hollismason posted:

https://youtu.be/iAHJCPoWCC8?si=RxKj8oKkoU96vzLi but aliens

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hollismason posted:

He's fighting a bunch of teenage boys so probably

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

alf_pogs posted:

whenever someone making a relatively mainstream piece of media decides "gently caress it, put Crispin in" the results are always great and unpredictable fun. he was making some CHOICES in that Pickman's Model episode of Cabinet of Curiosities

When did the post-modern obsession with Nick Cage kick in? Was it as early as the Wicker Man remake or later on in the 2010s, when youtube compilations of his weirdest choices started circulating? Basically, how do we astroturf a Crispin Glover renaissance?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Leatherhead posted:

When did the post-modern obsession with Nick Cage kick in? Was it as early as the Wicker Man remake or later on in the 2010s, when youtube compilations of his weirdest choices started circulating? Basically, how do we astroturf a Crispin Glover renaissance?

Nah I think when the Wicker Man came out people were really just making fun of Cage, there wasn't a lot of respect there for his "choices" or whatever.

Honestly I don't think it really happened until Mandy. He did Mandy and Color Out of Space in back to back years, and people also really enjoyed his part in Into the Spiderverse around that same time. Then a year or so later he got a lot of positive attention for Pig. If you look at his filmography before Mandy it was that extended run of lovely DTV garbage that he'd done because he was broke and needed to make money again.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I think it actually started ironically because of all the direct to tv garbage but then he started making good movies so the irony washed away.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Maybe the re-evaluation started for some around mandy, but he's been a respected actor for much longer. It just became a joke that he churned out so much trash to pay his tax bills for buying castles and swords and other stupid poo poo lol.

Lord of War was in 2005 and bad lieutenant port of call new Orleans was 2009 and there was definitely a lot of love given to him for those roles.

The first national treasure movie was 2004 and was highly regarded at the time iirc. At least amongst old guys

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I think he's the best actor working

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah it took him until like 2015 or something insane to make up for a bunch of bad investments, so from the late 90s until then he would basically work whenever he could. If you’ve ever been on tours through New Orleans you’ve seen at least one of those financial mistakes: for a while he owned the Lalaurie Mansion. Also there was that time he bought a dinosaur skull only to discover it was obtained illegally, so he was out a frankly insane sum of money since he did the right thing and returned it to whichever museum or whatever was the rightful owner

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Maybe the re-evaluation started for some around mandy, but he's been a respected actor for much longer. It just became a joke that he churned out so much trash to pay his tax bills for buying castles and swords and other stupid poo poo lol.

Lord of War was in 2005 and bad lieutenant port of call new Orleans was 2009 and there was definitely a lot of love given to him for those roles.

The first national treasure movie was 2004 and was highly regarded at the time iirc. At least amongst old guys

Yea I don't think anyone's saying he wasn't respected until recently, he was a very very respected actor and an Oscar winner. But he had that major lull in his career where he really seemed washed up and I think people had written him off. So making fun of him in Wicker Man and poking fun at all of the low budget trash he was appearing in was all part of that picture where the public had started to see him as a joke.

So when Mandy happened, I think that caused people to look back and be reminded about how good his career actually had been and how many of his bold acting choices actually were awesome and memorable. More of a reminder than a reevaluation.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm only an hour into the medium and holy poo poo this is good

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's the prettiest found footage film I've seen, or in the top 3 at least.

Also I hate when actors become memes. Nick Cage, Bill Murray, etc

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Leatherhead posted:

Crispin Glover is way too weird and recluse to become a Cage. His passion is making self-financed avant-garde films that he only screens at festivals and live performances where he lectures and reads poetry. He has said he only takes any mainstream work to finance his films. I hope he gets more recognition for how great he is but I almost feel like he would refuse to acknowledge it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

Yeah it took him until like 2015 or something insane to make up for a bunch of bad investments, so from the late 90s until then he would basically work whenever he could. If you’ve ever been on tours through New Orleans you’ve seen at least one of those financial mistakes: for a while he owned the Lalaurie Mansion. Also there was that time he bought a dinosaur skull only to discover it was obtained illegally, so he was out a frankly insane sum of money since he did the right thing and returned it to whichever museum or whatever was the rightful owner

I have a picture in front of his pyramid. It’s a prized memory.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't feel like I ever had a disrespect for Cage but I was definitely cracking jokes about how it isn't a Nick Cage movie until he flips the gently caress out (and/or goes to Vegas) as early as Face/Off

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Nic Cage is a world-class talent, but in addition to it being easy to poke fun at his self-proclaimed "gonzo" acting choices--I think I've read an interview where he cites kabuki as an influence--he also has a diluted filmography because he slums it so often. But he actually has quite a bit of range. For example, he really deserved a second Oscar for Adaptation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crescent Wrench posted:

Nic Cage is a world-class talent, but in addition to it being easy to poke fun at his self-proclaimed "gonzo" acting choices--I think I've read an interview where he cites kabuki as an influence--he also has a diluted filmography because he slums it so often. But he actually has quite a bit of range. For example, he really deserved a second Oscar for Adaptation.

He cites German Expressionism a lot, which I totally get because when you go back and watch some of those iconic Nic Cage moments, he's definitely going way over the top with his facial expressions in a way that is similar to like a Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Okay, horror crew. I think I'm recovered from the challenge and I'm back in a horror mood.

The 70's is a weakness of mine. I know some of the big names, but I want to more. Especially of the Let's Scare Jessica to Death-style vibes stuff. The kind of movie where the credits are 4 solid minutes of some shots of a barn while someone plays acoustic guitar.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think in that vein Don't Look Now would be something you might like. It was shot in partially in Venice and it's definitely one of the best looking 70s horror films out there.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

You are getting my vibe perfectly, but that's one or the few I've already watched and semi-recently.

That movie really cemented my desire to go to Venice in the winter too. gently caress yeah, I wanna see all the sad canals.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
My first reaction was actually to say The Changeling but it turns out the movie was released in 1980.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's the prettiest found footage film I've seen, or in the top 3 at least.

Also I hate when actors become memes. Nick Cage, Bill Murray, etc

it really was gorgeous that scene where they go searching for Mink and everyone stops to watch fireworks looked so good

bill murray is a hack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

My first reaction was actually to say The Changeling but it turns out the movie was released in 1980.

Enh, filmed in the 70's at least and it's got George C Scott. That's plenty good enough to throw it on the pile. Thanks!