Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I just learned there is a jellyfish, Turritopsis dohrnii, that goes through a life cycle which technically makes them immortal. They can die from outside causes but not from aging. It seems based on the wiki article that they basically clone themselves when they get too old.

If we somehow figured out how to replicate this in people would you do it? What about for a beloved pet? That would be pretty cool for them to never die while you're alive and they wouldn't have the existential dread that humans get. I'd probably make my cat immortal, he's a pretty cool cat and absolutely loves all people so i think he would do well with whoever ended up inheriting him. Even when i would just leave for vacation he would get in bed with my brother at night when i lived with him so i think he'd move on pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Death is what gives life purpose

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I am immortal, I have inside me fart of rear end

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

I've been looking forward to dying for decades and you are not going to take that from me.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Dumbass fish don't even know how to die

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Smugworth posted:

Dumbass fish don't even know how to die

They're coming to kill you

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i would only do it if i was rich or something and didn't have to work. imagine having to go to work for hundreds of years, gently caress that

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
good idea to let humans decide what gets forced to live forever

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I’ve experienced a near-death experience before and I’m ready to go when my time comes. The thought of being immortal would be a terrible existence.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

when that cat got pet semataried it was mad as gently caress about it

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

R.L. Stine posted:

That's because it wasn't on that grindset life.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

R.L. Stine posted:

That’s because it never got to hear that dope-rear end Ramones song about it.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

they will die and i will make sure of it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

R.L. Stine posted:

YA NEVAH BARY AH PERSON IN THE PET CEMETERAH!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bad Purchase posted:

they will die and i will make sure of it

They will kill you first

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

They will kill you first

then i will die trying :colbert:

:c00lbert:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm just spitballing here, but what if we crossed jellyfish and human DNA to create immortal, self repairing humans?

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Cloning means no memories, dumbass. Who gives a poo poo if you can't take your memories with you.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

redshirt posted:

I'm just spitballing here, but what if we crossed jellyfish and human DNA to create immortal, self repairing humans?

men will literally cross-breed themselves with self repairing jellyfish DNA instead of going to therapy

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

posting from the ineffable realms beyond death

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I'd probably roll the dice and try to reincarnate as something other than a jellyfish

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

men will literally cross-breed themselves with self repairing jellyfish DNA instead of going to therapy

It could solve all our problems, Barbara, think of it!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hmm, that seems like the jellyfish is reproducing?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

No. 6 posted:

I’m going to sit here and buttchug Whoppers for eternity.

Have fun with your purpose though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

No. 6 posted:

faaaart

I would also reincarnate my catte if he weren't already dead

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

No. 6 posted:

You have it backwards.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Death and Life were two sides of the same coin.

Till we mixed Jellyfish DNA.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

No. 6 posted:

This is what the non immortals tell themselves to cope.

I personally don’t plan on ever dying and look forward to watching all the stars burn down to nothing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Konar posted:

This is what the non immortals tell themselves to cope.

I personally don’t plan on ever dying and look forward to watching all the stars burn down to nothing.

That's like 100 Trillion years from now FYI....

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

redshirt posted:

That's like 100 Trillion years from now FYI....

I got a bunch of podcasts downloaded

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
having a breakdown and reverting to an infantile state doesn't make you immortal. believe me, i've tried

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

No. 6 posted:

Hot take: People only romanticize death because they can't escape it with their current material conditions. It's a coping mechanism wrapped in a logical fallacy that assumes that everyone agrees with that perspective. If there was a way to exist past it you damned well bet you'd hear people waxing philosophical about how awesome living forever is.

Of course some people would still think living forever sucks. And that's their preference and they're entitled to it. But putting an end to a thing doesn't inherently give something purpose. That's morbid and nihilistic as gently caress and deprioritizes the experience of existing itself.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 12, 2023

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
jellyfish are space aliens from outer space.

prove me wrong.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Konar posted:

What if we kissed during the heat death of the universe :3:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Rad-daddio posted:

jellyfish are space aliens from outer space.

prove me wrong.

Funny you should mention, the idea that some particularly alien life came from outer space is trending again with a new theory some scientists posted without peer review.

https://cordis.europa.eu/article/id/123479-trending-science-do-octopuses-come-from-outer-space

"This thing is spoopy looking on land so it must be from outer space!" is an even hotter take for sure. Next you'll tell me spiders migrated to earth to suck our precious bodily fluids

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

wanting to live forever is a coping mechanism for people too afraid to think that some day they'll die without ever having scored

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
Deaths icy grip cannot come soon enough

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Archonex posted:

Hot take: People only romanticize death because they can't escape it with their current material conditions. It's a coping mechanism wrapped in a logical fallacy that assumes that everyone agrees with that perspective. If there was a way to exist past it you damned well bet you'd hear people waxing philosophical about how awesome living forever is.

Of course some people would still think living forever sucks. And that's their preference and they're entitled to it. But putting an end to a thing doesn't inherently give something purpose. That's morbid and nihilistic as gently caress and deprioritizes the experience of existing itself.

Nah

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Yuh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I'd like to live forever If I could gather all the so called immortal jellyfish into one giant aquarium and then just sit there until they all died. And then I'd laugh once and die.