Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I need a creature to fit my name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Smik posted:

You're finishing off the Dakka Orkgirls!

Name: Jean Slicer
Team: Dakka Smith Orkgirls
Role: Main Character (does ... genes?)

Jean Slicer rounds out the team. A trans woman who like the rest of the team has rebelled against ork society, she has only one tusk-tooth and what happened to the other is a sensitive subject that the others avoid. Jean has considerable knowledge about advanced GAHT through contact with the Deep, which among other things has considerable technology for altering one's physical form via metamorphosis. Such knowledge is of course banned by polite ork society, as is associating with members of Deep society.

One of the perks of this expertise includes knowing how to do various body modifications, which is also forbidden and of questionable legality within the great city.

She's also a humungous nerd, and will ramble on at length about her favourite subjects if you let her (Lila usually tells her to be quiet). She's also a little introverted, can be innocently insensitive, but her contributions to the team are beyond reproach and her sense of justice is respected.

So I rolled "Trans" as the character arc and with that I think the Dakka Orkgirls are probably the most "Piss off the Chuds" team ever. They'd probably blame them for making guns "woke".

Pissing off Chuds works for me! Thanks!

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

So just a little note that I know I missed today's update but it's really late/early and I got caught up working on the game jam but rest assured I'll finish off the list soon.

AFAIK the to-do list is:
Anderson Koopa
Karate Bastard
Speleothing

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Anderson Koopa posted:

I'm down to be some kind of villain.

This one was kinda tricky. I was a bit tired today and would have liked to get it out earlier but here we are. The VN is going well at least.

Name: Kamerson Cooper
Team: Renegade Skulls
Role: Major Reoccurring Character

Kam is a mercenary working for the Renegade Skulls. Nobody's quite certain what she is: she has horns, she wears a sort of turtle shell, and she's got a prehensile tail. Kam works well in the water, on the ground, or even in the air (with help).

She's not especially loyal to anyone; she doesn't do anything unless it's been paid for. That said, she keeps her personal and professional life quite separate; when she's off the clock she's quite personable and charming.

She's most utilized against Team Tentacle -- she seems to have a better understanding of their operations. In Season Two, the Tentacles realize she's an Depthchor addict -- a kind of drug produced within the Deep which has a number of unique properties on surface dwellers.

Kam stars in a spinoff Mercenaries game series which lets you work for all the major factions of the games in various missions (except the Legion) against the other major factions (except the Skulls; they have a special agreement).

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Smik posted:

So just a little note that I know I missed today's update but it's really late/early and I got caught up working on the game jam but rest assured I'll finish off the list soon.

AFAIK the to-do list is:
Anderson Koopa
Karate Bastard
Speleothing

:neckbeard:

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Karate Bastard posted:

Heyo this is awesome can I be up in this thing?

I know you had a bunch of silly ideas in mind but with the handle of "Karate Bastard" I figured your character needed to be part of the Youxia Monkeygirls, and since they need a leader character you got the serious leader type instead. Sorry I just couldn't work cows into it. Maybe I'll give her some cow-print clothing later. Part of your handle's still there, sort of.

Name: Fei Hundan I put "Bastard" into Google Translate and got "Hundan"
Team: Youxia Monkeygirls
Role: Main Character (Leads)

While some of the Youxia get badass later, Fei starts out the most badass from the get-go. Initially focused entirely on combat, strategy and tactics, she had no appreciation for the arts and little time for manners. After getting beaten down by the Skulls in Season Three and shown up by Toxi, she learned humility and wondered if her focus on combat was actually detrimental to her ability.

She began to learn art, to prepare tea, and to partake in various pranks and play like her sisters and in the process discovered that her combat flowed better as a result, no longer stiff and predictable.

Side note: The Monkeygirls are kind of tricky to draw because of their longer arms. I have to fight my brain on the proportions. I'm still not sure if they're not long enough.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Awesome! I get to be a lead, a dumbass karate lead, trying to develop their softer sides for the entirely wrong reasons :haw:

She looks tough as poo poo as well. I may have to change my av

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
And yeah, if you want to lean hard into monkey then you could probably do the arms much much longer. I don't think there's an upper limit. Or maybe twice the body length or so would start getting a bit much.

I mean what you did looks good and totally monkey, but you could try and do a long rear end arm hypermonkey and see how it feels?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Reject bovinity, become monke

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
On second thought, to make proper long rear end monkey arms work, you might need to round over the back a bit, to nail that sweet gamer girl / monkey posture

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Speleothing posted:

I need a creature to fit my name

The rolls say you're the Youxia Monkeygirl master. Did my best attempt to kinda fit your handle in.

Name: Shi Lian Ling
Role: Master
Team: Youxia Hero Monkeygirls

The oft put-upon master of the Youxia Hero Monkeygirls. Raising and training the girls has left her with frayed nerves, a short temper, grey hairs (all over her body) and an interest in becoming a "drunken master" at times. Knows many ancient techniques and devised quite a few new ones to boot.

Is the primary reason for Fei Hundan's overly serious attitude, who is her favourite albeit least talented student. She'll never let that on to Fei as she pushes herself to her limits as is, and doesn't need any more motivation to work harder than she does. She is of course hardest on Toxi, who has the most natural talent yet least discipline.

She supposedly dies in an attack by the Legion in Season 4, only to return in astral form to lead the girls to the secret Legion base where her body is kept in suspended animation. This wasn't any particular plan of her own, but when she realized the situation she also used it to their advantage. The Youxia destroy the hidden base, steal their research, and redistribute it to the city's allies.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Smik posted:

The Wild Hero Catgirls needed their 4th and that's what you rolled.

Name: "Hannya" Beatrice
Team: Wild Hero Catgirls
Role: Main Character

Season One, Masked

Season One, Unmasked

Season Two, Cured

The leader of the Wild Hero Catgirls is "Hannya" Beatrice. Captured by Legion and experimented on, Bea was rescued by Master Grey. Cursed by the experiment and ashamed at her appearance, Bea kept her face masked most of the time, only taking it off when facing Legion as her bite has the power to infect them (when she didn't just snap clean through their bones).

Master Grey allowed Bea to take her revenge so she could learn how empty it would be and how little it would change.

Obgin Ken in the meantime has been working on curing her condition -- part of the cure required Bea to realize the pointless of revenge and to obtain some level of peace with herself. Achieving her revenge left her despondent and lost she was finally willing to embrace Master Grey's teaching and cleanse her mind of hate. At the end of Season One she is able to overcome her curse.

The real reason for changing her design was marketing of course. "Hannya" Bea would get progressively season to season, and this was then incorporated so her appearance would change based on her mental state -- angry Hannya gets face-eating teeth, happy Hannya gets cute. One of her toys comes with multiple faces you can attach as well as bigger claws.

I have somehow missed this until now, having been sure I was missed. Should have known better.

I humbly accept the mantle placed upon me. Thank you, I love her to bits.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Smik posted:

The rolls say you're the Youxia Monkeygirl master. Did my best attempt to kinda fit your handle in.

Name: Shi Lian Ling
Role: Master
Team: Youxia Hero Monkeygirls

The oft put-upon master of the Youxia Hero Monkeygirls. Raising and training the girls has left her with frayed nerves, a short temper, grey hairs (all over her body) and an interest in becoming a "drunken master" at times. Knows many ancient techniques and devised quite a few new ones to boot.

Is the primary reason for Fei Hundan's overly serious attitude, who is her favourite albeit least talented student. She'll never let that on to Fei as she pushes herself to her limits as is, and doesn't need any more motivation to work harder than she does. She is of course hardest on Toxi, who has the most natural talent yet least discipline.

She supposedly dies in an attack by the Legion in Season 4, only to return in astral form to lead the girls to the secret Legion base where her body is kept in suspended animation. This wasn't any particular plan of her own, but when she realized the situation she also used it to their advantage. The Youxia destroy the hidden base, steal their research, and redistribute it to the city's allies.

I'll do my best to be a good astral form mentor

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008
Are there any slots left? I'm loving the combination of original art and storytelling.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's some good arms right there. And I'm saving that quote for later. I'm saving that face for later too.

I may phrase it as "you idiots better be doing what I think you're doing" though.

I hope we destroyed the hidden base, stole their research, and redistributed it to the city's allies completely by misadventure.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 13, 2023

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Karate Bastard posted:

That's some good arms right there. And I'm saving that quote for later. I'm saving that face for later too.

I may phrase it as "you idiots better be doing what I think you're doing" though.

I hope we destroyed the hidden base, stole their research, and redistributed it to the city's allies completely by misadventure.

Post up a color scheme or suggestions, some goons like coloring.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

AmishSpecialForces posted:

Are there any slots left? I'm loving the combination of original art and storytelling.

Sure. Will be sometime later this week though, not the best day today.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mistle posted:

Post up a color scheme or suggestions, some goons like coloring.

Good idea! Though that is not me. Far be it from me to comment on a fellow monkey's color scheme, for I do not have a fashion sense. I suppose that should be reflected in my color scheme, which I suppose should be proportionally intense. This is me:

Smik posted:

Name: Fei Hundan I put "Bastard" into Google Translate and got "Hundan"
Team: Youxia Monkeygirls
Role: Main Character (Leads)

While some of the Youxia get badass later, Fei starts out the most badass from the get-go. Initially focused entirely on combat, strategy and tactics, she had no appreciation for the arts and little time for manners. After getting beaten down by the Skulls in Season Three and shown up by Toxi, she learned humility and wondered if her focus on combat was actually detrimental to her ability.

She began to learn art, to prepare tea, and to partake in various pranks and play like her sisters and in the process discovered that her combat flowed better as a result, no longer stiff and predictable.

However, since I'm a ~hundan~, I suppose it would behoove me to comment on a fellow monkey's color scheme anyway, which then I suppose should be "boring and ugly", unless as in this case it concerns my master, in which case it should be considered "boring and uglyouch!".

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 16, 2023

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Previous post aside, I think Fei Hundan would look positively dashing in primary colors, like green tunic, red cape, yellow belt, and blue scarf, or whichever color garment wound up within her long arms' reach when she got out of bed this morning I guess. I think Fei Hundan has brown fur. Oh, and I guess them pants are a color too.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Karate Bastard posted:

Previous post aside, I think Fei Hundan would look positively dashing in primary colors, like green tunic, red cape, yellow belt, and blue scarf, or whichever color garment wound up within her long arms' reach when she got out of bed this morning I guess. I think Fei Hundan has brown fur. Oh, and I guess them pants are a color too.

If it helps, she's based partially off a character from Romance of the 3 Kingdoms.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

AmishSpecialForces posted:

Just got all my backgrounds done (for now) for the VN so I thought I'd do a quick bit of character art.

Name: S.A.F. Megabeard
Role: Main Antagonist (Mystic Slime Girls) to Reoccurring Villain
Team: None

It's a little known fact that the decedents of the Amish will come to clash with the Mystic Slime Girls. Over time, the Amish will develop a team of special forces specifically geared at stopping any influence they might have. The mightiest of the Amish Special Forces is SAF Agent Megabeard.

Armed with an Amish Bowcaster -- a little known weakness the Slime Girls have -- he is their main antagonist throughout Season One, and while not officially working for any side he allies himself with the Royal Order. With his defeat at the end of the season and the real threat of the Legion becoming known in Season Two, he goes from the main foe to just a reoccurring villain instead.

Megabeard is less evil and more an extremist with an agenda against the Slime Girls.

Slime Girls are kinda fetishy, so I guess they'd have a natural enemy against the Amish? I don't know, I just thought it would be funny if for some reason their main foe was a ripped Amish dude)

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

He's so jelly inside and angry that he can't show it

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Your wonky bowgun thing gave me some unexpected difficulty.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008

Smik posted:

Just got all my backgrounds done (for now) for the VN so I thought I'd do a quick bit of character art.

Name: S.A.F. Megabeard
Role: Main Antagonist (Mystic Slime Girls) to Reoccurring Villain
Team: None

It's a little known fact that the decedents of the Amish will come to clash with the Mystic Slime Girls. Over time, the Amish will develop a team of special forces specifically geared at stopping any influence they might have. The mightiest of the Amish Special Forces is SAF Agent Megabeard.

Armed with an Amish Bowcaster -- a little known weakness the Slime Girls have -- he is their main antagonist throughout Season One, and while not officially working for any side he allies himself with the Royal Order. With his defeat at the end of the season and the real threat of the Legion becoming known in Season Two, he goes from the main foe to just a reoccurring villain instead.

Megabeard is less evil and more an extremist with an agenda against the Slime Girls.

Slime Girls are kinda fetishy, so I guess they'd have a natural enemy against the Amish? I don't know, I just thought it would be funny if for some reason their main foe was a ripped Amish dude)

This is amazing, thanks! Irl I'm a beefy dude who used to rock a huge beard so this is perfect. Thanks to the color version as well. Time for a new profile pic on various things.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

By popular demand posted:

Your wonky bowgun thing gave me some unexpected difficulty.

Yeah, I was tired (I did the Terry Fox 10KM run/walk for cancer research, a big deal here in Canada) and also a bit elevated and thought a weapon with messed up perspective would be appropriate for fighting mystic slimes.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I thought of something.

I should probably do kung fu rather than karate.

Also, I think I should be saying "watch it, or I steal your peach" a whole lot, real menacing like.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

So I was taking a look at how many characters I created over time, and chose August because it was my only full month (having started mid-July and not doing more than 1 per day while working on the visual novel in September)

I did 62 characters in August. I had no idea I did that many until now.

Now I bring this up because of the visual novel I'm working on for Spooktober. I've submitted it but until the hard deadline hits participants can still edit and improve.

I'll paste the link to the game jam in case anyone would like to give it a play test and drop feedback. It takes about 15 minutes to run through the story.
https://itch.io/jam/spooktober-2023/rate/2282301

The point being is I'd like to find out if anyone might be interested in an expanded story that continues past the ending with more characters and flesh out the protagonist beyond working poor. (The original concept let you obtain traits but having never used Ren'py before, or written a VN before, I scaled back the scope a lot)

Since I think I've demonstrated I can create a variety of interesting characters, I just thought I'd gauge interest in a more robust (and less time-constrained) visual novel featuring new and interesting individuals to interact with.

I'd also like to get a feel for what kind of story people might be interested in. The submitted game jam novel is "anti-horror" and I'd like to continue that theme, but obviously I need to go beyond the initial twist.

The idea I have right now is "Human for Hire", but it could go in a lot of directions since jobs could span a large spectrum: from as mundane as helping with shopping to as dark as murder (which would go from anti-horror back into legit horror).

If you're interested, let me know by either dropping a comment or sending a PM.

Also if you give the game a shot and have feedback, by all means let me know and I can add you to the credits as a playtester up until Saturday when the jam closes.

I'm going to be spending October passing the VN around to see if this is something I might want to take a real stab at.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Smik posted:

I'll paste the link to the game jam in case anyone would like to give it a play test and drop feedback. It takes about 15 minutes to run through the story.
https://itch.io/jam/spooktober-2023/rate/2282301

The completionist in me thanks you for eventually just going through all the options in the house. I liked the twist at the end and the mood building up to it being completely shattered once Yeeryie asks wtf is up with you.

Also big thanks for doing darkness right, in that it's actually possible to see what's going on in the backgrounds without having to crank the gamma up to eye-searing.

I think it'd be interesting to see more along this line. Helping the supernatural live in our world is a novel angle to take.

fake e: poked through the script a bit and saw that I could've run into the end earlier if I'd picked more 'big' horrors? Makes me glad I bumbled through the entire week. Having to replay to see a bunch of the non-fluff content is my one big complaint about VNs.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Geemer posted:

The completionist in me thanks you for eventually just going through all the options in the house. I liked the twist at the end and the mood building up to it being completely shattered once Yeeryie asks wtf is up with you.

Also big thanks for doing darkness right, in that it's actually possible to see what's going on in the backgrounds without having to crank the gamma up to eye-searing.

I think it'd be interesting to see more along this line. Helping the supernatural live in our world is a novel angle to take.

fake e: poked through the script a bit and saw that I could've run into the end earlier if I'd picked more 'big' horrors? Makes me glad I bumbled through the entire week. Having to replay to see a bunch of the non-fluff content is my one big complaint about VNs.

I'm glad it seems to be worthwhile. Originally I had planned on putting in a bigger variety of events to adjust the player attributes but when I realized the pace I was making I did some serious scope reduction. I had hoped to add some more assets before the closing date but my energy's dropped off and it's taking awhile just to do the extra scene for the credits. If I can get the energy up I want to add to a couple of spooky scenes.

Thanks for giving it a try! I'll add you to the playtesters.

E: I just figured out how to archive the files so they're less easily examined, thought it would have done it automatically. No offence, but I don't think I should leave it quite that open.

Smik fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 28, 2023

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Spooktober Game Jam has entered judging phase! If you liked my stuff and would like to help, this is the time: https://itch.io/jam/spooktober-2023/rate/2282301

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Smik posted:

Spooktober Game Jam has entered judging phase! If you liked my stuff and would like to help, this is the time: https://itch.io/jam/spooktober-2023/rate/2282301

Downloaded, played, and rated! Very cute and I actually was getting spooked when the shadow starts crawling out of the box, very creepy!

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Punkinhead posted:

Downloaded, played, and rated! Very cute and I actually was getting spooked when the shadow starts crawling out of the box, very creepy!

Thank you! It's funny you mention that, I always felt it was kinda weak. It's good to know it's better than I thought.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's a thread over in games for goon-made games. You should post over there to let them all know about your work.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Smik posted:

E: I just figured out how to archive the files so they're less easily examined, thought it would have done it automatically. No offence, but I don't think I should leave it quite that open.

None taken whatsoever! It's perfectly normal to not want the script just out in the open, which is probably why you assumed it'd be archived to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

There's a thread over in games for goon-made games. You should post over there to let them all know about your work.

Thanks for the heads-up. I've bookmarked a game development thread but didn't know there was another like that.