Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Films:

Awards:

Discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Bug is a kickass flick and underrated/underseen Friedkin. Go watch it!

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Bug is a kickass flick and underrated/underseen Friedkin. Go watch it!

I watched it to take my mind off a panic attack I was having and that was not a good idea

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Oh no lol

Michael Shannon gives a great performance though.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The Hunted was just OK. Mid-Friedkin at best

Edit: lol I forgot he did Rules of Engagement. It nailed some of the worst mentality of the War on Terror before 9/11 even happened.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 9, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Definitely lower tier yea

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I had no idea 12 angry men was a period piece, isn't it set in like the 50's or 60's?

Edit: OK yeah he didn't do THAT one.

If I'm going to rewatch the French Connection and the Exorcist, and check out Sorcerer for the first time, what's one other film I should add, Cruising? Are any of his documentaries particularly well recommended?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 9, 2023

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jack B Nimble posted:

I had no idea 12 angry men was a period piece, isn't it set in like the 50's or 60's?

If I'm going to rewatch the French Connection and the Exorcist, and check out Sorcerer for the first time, what's one other film I should add, Cruising? Are any of his documentaries particularly well recommended?

To Live and Die in LA is really loving good.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Good time to grab a bucket of fried chicken and throw on Killer Joe (2011)

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Killer Joe
Sorcerer
French Connection
Exorcist

is a dream oeuvre that many directors wish they had. He was a g and one of my favorites all time. RIP

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'm reminded that I need to watch The Guardian.

I always watch the Criterion collection closet videos and remember his from nearly ten years back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63VRJQYcNn0

https://www.criterion.com/current/top-10-lists/185-william-friedkin-s-top-10

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm watching The French Connection right now. Watched To Live and Die in La last night.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

French Connection is such a downer of a watch.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Do The Boys in the Band and Cruising back to back. The two queer movies that bookend his 70s run.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Honestly after watching a lot of Friedkin films I kind of feel the dude was a cynic. A lot of his movies are downers.

edit:

Just watched Friedkin's Rampage. Total loving downer of a movie.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 11, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Seeing Sorcerer in 35mm is something I’ll never forget.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
In terms of rear end in a top hat genius directors, how rear end in a top hat or genius he was?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I strongly suspect that some of the boys in that particular band may have been homosexuals.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I just watched Cruising for the first time. drat that was good. It's cool how much of it is just Pacino walking around observing poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPL593H posted:

I strongly suspect that some of the boys in that particular band may have been homosexuals.

I'm straighter than straight, but The Boys in the Band is easily a top-3 Friedkin for me (The Exorcist and To Live and Die in LA would round out the top 3). Just a powerful and wonderful little movie (which works because it follows the staging of the play almost 1:1).

The Netflix version from 2020, with Jim Parsons and Zachary Quinto, on the other hand, was just a miserable slog with zero pathos whatsoever, and I do not understand the critical love that it got in any way.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Timby posted:

The Netflix version from 2020, with Jim Parsons and Zachary Quinto, on the other hand, was just a miserable slog with zero pathos whatsoever, and I do not understand the critical love that it got in any way.

Quinto is so awful in that. When Leonard Frey's version of that character shows up in 1970 version you immediately get why all these people are in the same friend group. When Quinto shows up he's a nothing person in a poo poo afro wig.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

High Warlord Zog posted:

Quinto is so awful in that. When Leonard Frey's version of that character shows up in 1970 version you immediately get why all these people are in the same friend group. When Quinto shows up he's a nothing person in a poo poo afro wig.

Quinto is awful in most things. Like, okay, he was fine, I guess, as Sylar in Heroes, but that was a cast full of terrible actors so he stood out because he could emote a little bit. And then JJ Abrams cast him as Spock in Star Trek 2009 just because a bunch of Internet fans and some magazines like EW freaked out about how much he (kinda, sorta, if you squint a bit) resembled a young Leonard Nimoy.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
To Live and Die I L.A. is one of my favorite movies, so good. Welp, time for a rewatch.

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023
never gets old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jPWGEoyJHY

I love his late career adapting Tracy Letts' hosed up plays. (Letts is one hell of an actor too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wktzeHfRBs

R.I.P. king

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Killer Joe is one of the most wonderfully unpleasant film screening Ive ever been to and a memory Ill cherish forever. Half the audience was howling, half left by the fried chicken scene. Me and my friend lept out of our seats at the ending moment. Just pure madness in a basement indie theater on a hot NYC day. The perfect Friedkin experience.

I will miss this mans movies so so so much. He was truly one of a kind. A type of filmmaker personality youll just simply never see again.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 13, 2023

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fish of hemp posted:

In terms of rear end in a top hat genius directors, how rear end in a top hat or genius he was?

Do you love him? Do you trust him?

:rowdytrout:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Those bridge scenes in Sorcerer are something.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Fish of hemp posted:

A lotta both

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
An extremely skilled director with terrible politics and an abrassive personality. It was weird that he directed a decent chunk of the consensus 'best films ever made' and didn't have anything like the household name status some of his contemporaries did. Also, no one posted this but I saw it and loved it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Watched Friedkin's feature debut Good Times last night for the first time.

Sonny and Cher were under contract to make a film for ABC Films (and to be released through Columbia), but the script was poo poo. Bono and Friedkin ended up rewriting it from scratch to be a self-reflexive mockery of itself. Doesn't really work 100%. I initially thought it was a ripoff of the Monkees' Head, except this came out a year before in 1967. It does have some neat camera work. What's interesting about Friedkin's first three films (this, The Night They Raided Minsky's, and The Birthday Party) is that he's keeping the camera constantly moving and opting for some interesting editing tricks like quick cuts and even optical effects.

The Kino Blu-ray is out of print now, but they filmed a great interview with Friedkin about the film. He picked directing it over being assigned as second unit director for John Frankenheimer's Grand Prix, which probably worked out better for him.

For that matter, I find Minsky's and The Birthday Party to be interesting films, even if he didn't make a great film until The Boys in the Band.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Was not as taken by French Connection as I was Cruising. Hackman delivered tho.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

drat it, both To Live and Die in LA and Sorcerer are checked out of the local library. Gotta wait at least another week for either one.

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023
https://twitter.com/ATRightMovies/status/1691374177062965248

:lol:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I'll get this out of the way first: William Friedkin was a psycho and shithead and I sincerely hope that there was at least one point in his adult life where someone decked him right in the face and got away with it.

That being said, the guy was on a roll in the 70s for sure. Sorcerer and The Exorcist in particular still hold up going on fifty (!) years now. I'd just revisited them recently so this news hits a bit harder for me than it otherwise might've. I also caught the recent documentary Leap of Faith: William Friedkin on The Exorcist which plays like a commentary track with pictures, but Friedkin gets so into telling his anecdotes it's a worthwhile watch regardless. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/leap_of_faith_2019

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Just watched Sorcerer myself today, pretty good stuff though there is this kind of lull after the intros and before they get into the truck. Bridge scenes were iconic and some of those deaths are big surprises. Conceptually I have to wonder how a big oil company can’t just find more dynamite quickly, but guess they hired these guys for pretty cheap.

Any reason for the title beyond being on one of the trucks?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Watched his last film of the 70s, The Brink's Job. Not one of his masterpieces, but I liked the vibe from it like he was trying to make his own Dassin or Melville heist film. It's got a stacked cast: Peter Falk, Allen Garfield, Peter Boyle, Gena Rowlands, Warren Oates, and Paul Sorvino.

I liked how the thieves are relatable and cool in this, while the cops and feds are lovely.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Egbert Souse posted:

I liked how the thieves are relatable and cool in this, while the cops and feds are lovely.

Seems like a common theme in his movies (re-posting from the first reactions thread):

Nightmare Cinema posted:

To Live And Die In LA - The BALLS on this movie. The cool factor... the culture... I feel like doing manly things. My hands are too soft. I am drinking a HARP and downing an oven-crisp frozen pizza as I type.

Also lol gently caress cops / lawyers / every govt employee

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Seems like a common theme in his movies (re-posting from the first reactions thread):

I dunno, Killer Joe presents a pretty sympathetic cop

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Is there any connection between the fake suicide jump on the Vincent Thomas bridge in TLADILA with Tony Scott's actual suicide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

checkplease posted:

Just watched Sorcerer myself today, pretty good stuff though there is this kind of lull after the intros and before they get into the truck.

Funny you should mention, it was only in the past year or so that a full copy of the heavily altered European cut finally surfaced online (under the title Wages of Fear*), and it's quite evident that the pacing was a primary concern the producers were trying to "fix" in this edit. It's a lesser film than Friedkin's cut for sure, but many of the edits are clever, it uses a lot of alternate footage, and if nothing else it does indeed go by faster! https://archive.org/details/wages-of-fear-fin-vhs

(*Edit: I should probably clarify that I am indeed talking about a genuine alternate cut of Friedkin's Sorcerer and am not simply making a cheeky reference to its 1950s French predecessor Wages of Fear, haha).

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 17, 2023