Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Last year, I helped invent a very silly version of fantasy called Blue Shell League and now I'm bringing it to the goon world. FOR FREE.

What is Blue Shell League?
Blue Shell League is a punishing new twist on Fantasy Football, that gives all players a handicap and punishes people for being good, much like the titular Blue Shell from Mario Kart.

How Does It Work?

Every week, starting on the Tuesday after Week One, the manager in last place has the ability to “throw the shell” at the manager in first place. This means they can force the manager in first place to make a single-player trade with them, and the first-place manager HAS to accept the trade.

There are some limits to the trades:

1: Starters Only: The players being traded on both teams must have been in the starting lineup the previous week. No trading your junk bench player for a stud. (This also means that in many cases the way to protect a player…is to bench them. This is a "Do Sit Your Studs" league sometimes)

2: Trades must be positionally-based. (QB for QB, RB for RB, etc.) No trading RBs for Kickers. You may trade for a player who was in either team’s FLEX slot, as long as it is still the same position.

3: No sticking people with injured players. Both traded players must have a designation of “Questionable” or better at the time of trade. You may trade players scheduled for a BYE week as long as the players are healthy and eligible.

4: No-Shell-and-Dump: If you are in first place and a player is forced on you in a shell trade, you must keep that player on your roster for at least one week. You do not have to start them but you cannot trade/drop them.

5: Play Normal: So obviously tank-to-win is a legit strategy here, but please don't keep injured/BYE week players in your lineup for the purpose of losing intentionally. I have no way of enforcing this, so just be cool.

How to throw the shell:
The first-place Blue-Shelled manager is NOT ALLOWED to drop or trade any player from their previous week’s starting lineup until after the trade has been submitted. These players are eligible for a shell. They may drop or trade players from their bench at any time, as these players are not eligible for the shell-trade.

TUESDAYS ARE SHELL DAYS. The manager in last place MUST throw their shell (propose the trade) before 10:00 PM EST/7:00 PM PST on Tuesday night, in order to give the manager in first place an opportunity to use the waiver wire.

It is recommended that the last-place league manager throwing the shell post a screenshot or description of their proposed trade to the thread. That way it is publicly known that you submitted and the commissioner can force the trade manually if it is not accepted in a timely manner.

IF YOU DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR TRADE:
Your shell is considered forfeit for the week. The first-place manager is now safe.
The manager above you (in second-to-last place) now has 24 hours to force a trade to steal one of your players.

The League Commissioner is responsible for accepting and pushing through all shell-trades as soon as possible.

Otherwise, this is a normal, standard-score FAAB league on ESPN. Worth noting, there is no trade deadline (obviously) so all other trades and transactions are valid all year.

Currently the league is set as a 12-team league with draft set for Tuesday September 5th at 8:00 EST but I can adjust based on interest.

Team Names: Look I’m not saying you HAVE to put Mario Kart references in your names but I am saying it would be a lot cooler if you did.

If you're interested, shoot me a DM and/or post in this thread how to get you an invite and we'll get going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Heck yeah, love a good twist on the tried and true format. I'm interested.

E: I will absolutely have a pun name post-draft

Gobias Ind. fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 18, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Sure, I’ll give it a try.

Edit: In as Yoshi's Yambags

Are you going to sim a race for draft spots? If so, I call Yoshi!

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 19, 2023

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Haha this sounds fun as hell, I'm in.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

DK Metcalf's Jungle Parkway
Jaylin Hyatt uses Rocket Start
Boo Lake, Cleveland, OH

(Just bored & making up nonsense names)

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Edit: never mind, I can’t make that draft time. Have fun y’all.

Worthleast fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 19, 2023

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
I'll join

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I’m in! Rainbow Road Warriors !

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
So, how do playoffs work?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

The Zack posted:

So, how do playoffs work?

This has been the tough part and I'm open to suggestions. It depends on how many people we get signed up.

Last year my league just ran normal playoffs, but that's pretty anticlimactic.

I'm thinking about a "banana peel" mechanism where the team that loses gets to pick a player for the winning team to sit next week.

But if we have BYE weeks for the top two seeds, that's trickier.

If we're an eight-person league, I'm thinking two-week playoffs, top four go in. Week One is normal (including shell). Week 2 (championship), both teams have to bench a player determined by the week one losers.

Still working this part out.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
So far all invites sent out and accepted, and we are just one goon short of an eight-person league.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Vargo posted:

So far all invites sent out and accepted, and we are just one goon short of an eight-person league.

If you can draft at a different time, I'd join. Even earlier Tuesday works better for me.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Worthleast posted:

If you can draft at a different time, I'd join. Even earlier Tuesday works better for me.

I have no problem with doing it at 6:00 or 7:00 Tuesday, I usually just go later in case there are west-coast players.

Goons, thoughts?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Vargo posted:

I have no problem with doing it at 6:00 or 7:00 Tuesday, I usually just go later in case there are west-coast players.

Goons, thoughts?

I get home at 5:45PM-6PM CST. Any time after that is ok with me.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

Later is preferable after putting the kids to bed, but I could make 7 eastern work if that's what works best.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I can do 6 or 7 eastern?

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Is it on yahoo?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

ESPN. (Because that's where my other leagues are)

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Vargo posted:

If you still need one I’d be interested.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Freaquency posted:

If you still need one I’d be interested.

Invite link sent

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

If you've got it, I'll peace out. Have fun.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
This still happening?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

I have a draft countdown timer on ESPN so I imagine so!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Silly Burrito posted:

This still happening?

We got eight people and we're drafting tomorrow night!

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Never been in a 8 man league. These teams are going to be wild!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Vargo posted:

We got eight people and we're drafting tomorrow night!

Awesome, any draft order?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Silly Burrito posted:

Awesome, any draft order?

I was going to simulate a Mario Kart race to choose order but ran out of time. We're just gonna let ESPN do random order this time, next year we'll get a real race in I promise.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Snowmankilla posted:

Never been in a 8 man league. These teams are going to be wild!

Remember, ideally you want a team that is in 2nd or 3rd place for most of the year!

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Vargo posted:

Remember, ideally you want a team that is in 2nd or 3rd place for most of the year!

Ha. I’ll be happy to not be in the 6-7.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I'm running another blue shell league with my friends that drafted tonight. I'll show you the roster after drafting so I don't give away my strategy, but I drafted too many traps and I hate this team so much.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

This guy finally got his driver's license so he'll be showing in a kart any day now:

Chargin' Chuck Noll gonna bring the Steel Curtain to the Mushroom Kingdom.

Lmao I didn't know ESPN allowed gif avatars, this rules.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Now that we've drafted, I can show you all the team I drafted in my other Blue Shell League, where I went too heavy on the traps and created a team that oooh man do I hate:

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I have no idea what my plan was, other than to take people who may be better later? Also should I try to win or lose this week? What is happening!?!?!?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
My personal plan is to win as much as I can but if I lose it was because I was trying to avoid the blue shell. :colbert:

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
I didn't think about drafting blue shells. Guess I'll pick some up along the way

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

The Zack posted:

I didn't think about drafting blue shells. Guess I'll pick some up along the way

I mean, if you can keep out of last place it won't matter.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

Snowmankilla posted:

I have no idea what my plan was, other than to take people who may be better later? Also should I try to win or lose this week? What is happening!?!?!?

Same.

Felt better about taking a guy like Breece for this exact reason. Really we're probably all overthinking it a little bit because it's hard to be in first! Don't really need to try to not have a good team.

Dr.Donkeypunch
Sep 8, 2003

Ask me about ironing shirts.
Grimey Drawer
And all the teams are stacked.
Sorry for the partial auto draft, I was having dinner with my parents.
This league is going to be so much fun.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
lol I'm already freaking out over who to bench-protect and who to play (and thus put at risk of shelling)

The sit-start on this league is wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Updating the rules because this came up in my other league when someone tried to start Trey Lance: All players in your line up must have a projection of at least one point at their time of kickoff. This covers injuries, BYE week players, playing the third-string QB, etc.

Technically, I guess you could try to stack your team with one-point third-string scrubs but I don't think that's a viable long-term strategy, especially in this league. After a few weeks you'll dig yourself into a points hole that's impossible to get out of.