Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Gobias Ind. posted:

Silly Burrito projected for an unfathomable 3rd straight shelling...

?? I'm not even sure I'm winning my game.

If I had to guess, Chargin' Chuck Noll is about to lose Patrick Mahomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Silly Burrito posted:

?? I'm not even sure I'm winning my game.

If I had to guess, Chargin' Chuck Noll is about to lose Patrick Mahomes.

You're projected to win it and be the only 3-0 team....or am I misunderstanding how this works? I thought whoever was in first place overall got shelled.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Gobias Ind. posted:

You're projected to win it and be the only 3-0 team....or am I misunderstanding how this works? I thought whoever was in first place overall got shelled.

Yeah that's how it goes, and Silly Burrito's almost certainly winning this game unless the Eagles just fall apart tomorrow.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Well poo poo, I was thinking whoever did the best each week got shelled. But if my team comes back, c’est la vie.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Well that definitely would change your strategy a bit.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
I thought it went week to week, too. I guess 1st overall getting shelled is more true to Mario Kart.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
So basically as long as I keep winning, it’s always going to be me that gets shelled.

I’m almost masochistic enough to see how long I can hold out. :)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Silly Burrito posted:

So basically as long as I keep winning, it’s always going to be me that gets shelled.

I’m almost masochistic enough to see how long I can hold out. :)

In my friend league there was a guy who got shelled like 6 times in a row last year, we were all screaming "WHY. WON'T. YOU. DIE."

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Vargo posted:

In my friend league there was a guy who got shelled like 6 times in a row last year, we were all screaming "WHY. WON'T. YOU. DIE."

This is not sour grapes, I swear, but I do think it would be better if it was the highest score of the week who got shelled/lowest who gets the shell. That way there's more variety and swaps.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Silly Burrito posted:

This is not sour grapes, I swear, but I do think it would be better if it was the highest score of the week who got shelled/lowest who gets the shell. That way there's more variety and swaps.

I can see that, but what I like about this format is that it forces you to pay attention to the whole league, to everyone's point standings, and to make some decisions you might not normally make, because it might not be in your best interest to just try to win or score as much as possible.

I really like the challenge of trying to put together a team that wins but only wins by a certain margin or keeps under a certain point level.

In my other league I started a bunch of people I never would before because I knew I was in danger of being shelled, I had to decide which people I wouldn't mind losing, had an opportunity to tank at the late game by swapping out the Steelers Defense late, didn't take it, so now I'm going to be 3-0. Even though all my players are done, I'm desperately watching another game hoping the other 2-0 team wins so they get shelled instead of me.

If I do get shelled, I'm going to lose one of my sacrificial lambs like Amon-Ra or James Conner.

It's a totally different experience than anything else I've played.

If we did a week-by-week system, I worry it would just be like regular fantasy, everyone just trying to put together their best team and just seeing what happens. Except with more swaps. Which could be fun too.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Vargo posted:

I can see that, but what I like about this format is that it forces you to pay attention to the whole league, to everyone's point standings, and to make some decisions you might not normally make, because it might not be in your best interest to just try to win or score as much as possible.

I really like the challenge of trying to put together a team that wins but only wins by a certain margin or keeps under a certain point level.

In my other league I started a bunch of people I never would before because I knew I was in danger of being shelled, I had to decide which people I wouldn't mind losing, had an opportunity to tank at the late game by swapping out the Steelers Defense late, didn't take it, so now I'm going to be 3-0. Even though all my players are done, I'm desperately watching another game hoping the other 2-0 team wins so they get shelled instead of me.

If I do get shelled, I'm going to lose one of my sacrificial lambs like Amon-Ra or James Conner.

It's a totally different experience than anything else I've played.

If we did a week-by-week system, I worry it would just be like regular fantasy, everyone just trying to put together their best team and just seeing what happens. Except with more swaps. Which could be fun too.

Good points, thanks!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
For the record, here's the team of scrubs I put together to try to dodge the shell:

This team still managed to squeak out a win, making me the only 3-0 left and a target for the shell.

The team in last started two WRs he's not going to want to get rid of so I think Amon-Ra and Ridley are safe, but it was a huge risk starting them (especially since I just don't have any other WRs.) Most likely I'll wind up losing James Conner, someone I didn't want on my team to begin with because I thought the Cardinals were tanking.

The shorter benches make it so you can't just start ALL bad players, you have to assume some risk.

In this case having Mostert blow up on my bench was actually a good thing, I can save him for later when I'm maybe 3-2 and less in the hot seat. (And then he will be hurt lol)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Another week, another win, another attempt to tear me down. Bring it on bitches!! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SK6gbhuEXQ

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Silly Burrito posted:

Another week, another win, another attempt to tear me down. Bring it on bitches!! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SK6gbhuEXQ

What's really funny is that by this point you have enough of a points lead that even if you lost one game you'd still probably be in first place.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Vargo posted:

What's really funny is that by this point you have enough of a points lead that even if you lost one game you'd still probably be in first place.

You would think at this point I would’ve gotten the three green shell shield or something.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Silly Burrito posted:

You would think at this point I would’ve gotten the three green shell shield or something.

We actually did implement a "green shell" rule in my other league. It's a punishment/penalty for starting an ineligible player (one who's injured or on BYE or otherwise has no reasonable chance of giving you points.) Teams who start ineligible players can have a player stolen by their opponents the following week. If the player's ineligible, they must be green shell-igible.

I don't have to worry about that as much with this group of fantasy addicts.

Congratulations to Toad Gurley for their newly-acquired T.J. Hockenson, and for ridding themselves of the curse of Hunter Henry!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Welp.

This game was less competitive than I would've thought.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
On the other hand, I'm desperately trying to finish below 60 points so I can drop below Toad Gurley and take the shell.

My plan was to drop James Connor for some no-mame with 2 projected points at the last second. But I hosed up and forgot to take Aiyuk off IR so ESPN wouldn't let me.

So now I'm praying for intercept... and Zach Wilson just threw a TD while I was writing this. gently caress.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

Vargo posted:

On the other hand, I'm desperately trying to finish below 60 points so I can drop below Toad Gurley and take the shell.

My plan was to drop James Connor for some no-mame with 2 projected points at the last second. But I hosed up and forgot to take Aiyuk off IR so ESPN wouldn't let me.

So now I'm praying for intercept... and Zach Wilson just threw a TD while I was writing this. gently caress.

You're also competing with me. My team has absolutely tanked despite me starting all my best guys and actually trying to win. I think I'm currently about 2 points ahead of you and Butker is my last guy.

E: Efff Butker has scored enough that I'm gonna be ahead of Toad Gurley by like 4 points

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Oh my God, I'm at 59.8, I need a goose egg from Waller and that shell is mine

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Missed out on the shell by half a point, remember to get your IRs in order, folks

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Another week, another shell. Ho hum.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Another week, another shell. Ho hum.

And probably next week too with your massive points lead. An incredible run.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Gobias Ind. posted:

And probably next week too with your massive points lead. An incredible run.

I just figure that Toad Gurley really likes my team, since Toad has taken away three of my players. ;)

If I’m calculating correctly, if I win this week and Team Waaahhh loses, I’ll have at least two straight weeks of the shell no matter what I do.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Yeah this is very much a “why won’t you die?!?” sort of situation. Very appropriate for spooky season.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
It's a long season and BYE weeks are just starting, folks.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Y'all gotta start leaving some real land mines though. A guy who loses Jalen Hurts for Kirk Cousins still has Kirk Cousins.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Freaquency posted:

Yeah this is very much a “why won’t you die?!?” sort of situation. Very appropriate for spooky season.

I asked Luigi what he thought about all those blue shells.

How rude Luigi. How rude.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Welp, all streaks have to come to an end. Nice job Rainbow Road Warriors.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Not sure how pumped I should be when you have lost your best 4 players? But I’ll take it!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I think points-wise, Silly Burrito is actually still in first and will still be getting hit with the shell, and I am happy to deliver the final nail in this coffin. I'll teach you all how to throw a shell.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Vargo posted:

I think points-wise, Silly Burrito is actually still in first and will still be getting hit with the shell, and I am happy to deliver the final nail in this coffin. I'll teach you all how to throw a shell.

Sheeeyit

Funny thing, I set a legitimate lineup but besides for starting Moss or Fields, it would’ve turned out about the same anyway. Just a bad week and I’ll still lose player #5 anyway.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 9, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGLECptnEbM

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
THAT is how you throw a blue shell! (to a team that has Jonathan Taylor back this week so it doesn't really matter anyway).

Also fun development, our only remaining 4-1 teams face each other this week, guaranteeing that one of them will take first place and get shelled next week.

As a reminder, the shell can only steal players that are in your starting lineup, so if there's someone you want to protect, now might be a good time to adopt a "Do Sit Your Studs" rule.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Cool cool I get the shell and my top shell targets on the first place team are all getting MRIs this week very cool very nice.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I now have a legit dilemma on which player to steal from Team WAAAH. My #1 and #2 targets, CMC and Kyren, are both expected to miss an unknown amount of time.

I could still steal one and stash him, but I just lost Dave Montgomery and that would leave me without enough starting RBs this week.

I could also take Kamara just to have playable RBs this week, or I could avoid RBs alltogether and just take AJ Brown to replace my injured Justin Jefferson.

Choices!

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
CMC, Kyren and Barkley are all dealing with injuries. Rhamondre Stevenson scored more than Kamara. I would take him.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
My streak is over at five. Ah well.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

The Zack posted:

CMC, Kyren and Barkley are all dealing with injuries. Rhamondre Stevenson scored more than Kamara. I would take him.

Rhamondre and Saquon are both safe because they were benched last week. Can only steal from the last week's starters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Oh right.