Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
So let's have a thread devoted to caving and cave-diving horror stories, because I'm sure that fixating on claustrophobia and drowning is an extremely healthy and fun activity to do!

I've recently discovered this side of youtube and have been binge-watching videos on these uniquely terrifying accidents for the past while now. A couple examples for your watching enjoyment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9nDNZ4-Wy8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jykyqAEImwA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhEAD2RdC5I

A long one about an early 20th century rescue story. It's a bit lighter, but still terrifying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnI_oZKxzl0

I believe the moral of this story is, very much like climbing Everest: just don't do it

What are your favorite caving horror stories? Do you have any personal cave exploration/hole exploration stories?

EDIT:

An oldie but goodie. Every :gonk: CAVES :frogsiren: thread needs this.

Colonel Taint posted:

Can't not mention this classic from Ted the caver.

https://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/index.html

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i like rock climbing and the equipment expertise and technical ability has obvious cross over, but ive never once considered spelunking as it seems completely insane in a way that climbing upwards does not. i can' t explain it but it is what it is

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Theres a provincial park a few hours from where I live that is supposed to have "a bunch of caves in it". The location has not been published for obvious reasons.

I've never been to them, but after a gang of research, looking at google earth and a bunch of other GIS poo poo I'm pretty sure I've figured out the location.

Hoping to take a trip up there this fall and check them out, but Its a bit of a trek and I can't drive particularly close to them, so I'll have to hike for a few to several km depending on where I decide to park.

If I mysteriously stop posting this fall I probably found them and got lost inside.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 25, 2023

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you like clickbaity videos about horrible fates you just might be a sicko freak

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Theres a provincial park a few hours from where I live that is supposed to have "an extensive cave system". The location has not been published for obvious reasons.

I've never been to them, but after a gang of research, looking at google earth and a bunch of other GIS poo poo I'm pretty sure I've figured out the location.

Hoping to take a trip up there this fall and check them out, but Its a bit of a trek and I can't drive particularly close to them, so I'll have to hike for a few to several km depending on where I decide to park.

If I mysteriously stop posting this fall I probably found them and got lost inside.

Have fun being eviscerated by cave mutants!

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

I spelunked many times in my ex-wife's caverous vagina and I consider that personally horrible

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

If you like clickbaity videos about horrible fates you just might be a sicko freak

is it a 50/50 thing or is there a skew in one direction?

I've been to Luray Caverns a couple of times and it's lovely down there but the last time it was wall-to-wall people for the entire tour and that sucked. I'm not claustrophobic or anything, it was just too loving crowded. Not really a horror story but it's about all I've got.

When I was a very small child I toured a salt mine that was either in Germany or Austria (along with some other cool stuff like the catacombs under Salzburg and Hitler's Eagle's Nest fortress in Berchtesgaden) and I remember there was a huge multicolored wall of solidified salt and an underground salt lake. Being that deep underground was cool as poo poo to the budding D&D nerd that I was.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Henry Lee Mucus posted:

I spelunked many times in my ex-wife's caverous vagina and I consider that personally horrible

That hole was definitely not made for you then.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
People willingly crawling into holes and then getting stuck in the hole? YAWN. Wake me up when the holes start going after people.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
spelunker? i barely touched'er

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Colonel Taint posted:

Ahhh yeah, this is a classic! Thanks, I was trying to remember this but forgot the name! Added to the OP.

My GOD though, Angelfire still exists?

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
Cave diving is the horrible combination of claustrophobia, drowning, and certain death that keeps me awake at night.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i think the main appeal when it comes to caving is rule #1, my cave my rules

aren’t many hobbies that can provide that sort of limitless authority

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnI_oZKxzl0

I believe the moral of this story is, very much like climbing Everest: just don't do it

heheheheheh. uploaded hole.

Nutty Putty Cave is a tragic name and tragic place to die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWwPg8ruxfI

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
cave diving and real hardcore regular caving is 100% a weird mental illness, like the thrill of extreme sports - where you could *die* - isn't enough, you wanna really have the risk of dying really, really horribly under the worst possible circumstances

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Bad Purchase posted:

i think the main appeal when it comes to caving is rule #1, my cave my rules

aren’t many hobbies that can provide that sort of limitless authority

plus there are no laws once you get down to a certain depth so you can screen NFL games and cut the tags off of mattresses, it's like Caligula down there. Still don't recommend eating those "do not eat" packets that come in stuff like beef jerky though. There are no mortal laws, but the laws of vomit apply everywhere.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
I went spelunking with a friend and his dad (larger gentleman) as a teenager, and the guide was visibly stressed about him barely squeezing through a belly crawl spot. getting trapped in a cave because some guy got lodged in your only means of egress would be the worst

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

nice obelisk idiot posted:

I went spelunking with a friend and his dad (larger gentleman) as a teenager, and the guide was visibly stressed about him barely squeezing through a belly crawl spot. getting trapped in a cave because some guy got lodged in your only means of egress would be the worst

Now that's a horror story right there that also presents a moral dillema.

Do you wait for rescue and take a chance that three people die? Or do you do the unthinkable to rescue two?

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

spelunking chhecklist:
flashlight
gloves
knee-pads
bonesaw

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

People willingly crawling into holes and then getting stuck in the hole? YAWN. Wake me up when the holes start going after people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmeEsgfl7BQ

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

crawling into the earth is a horrible idea imho

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I've been stuck in a cave for the last 15 years. Uber eats has been keeping me alive

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Saalkin posted:

I've been stuck in a cave for the last 15 years. Uber eats has been keeping me alive

You drive your Tesla in and the battery died, or what?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

McGavin posted:

You drive your Tesla in and the battery died, or what?

You'd have to pay me a good sum of money to drive a tesla buddy

I'm not in Vegas

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i went into a bunch of caves growing up, i was like a little white miyamoto runnin around exploring hyrule and its oddly wet dungeons. well, i guess half of those were really storm drains, but

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

humming "down in a hole" to myself as i rap into a crevasse from which i will surely not return

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

probably the worst one was in high school, our after school club went to a cave that looked like a big sock shaped hole just chunked out of the rolling hills around it otherwise. that one was wet too and NOT sewer related, and while it was really cool walking along and seeing this huge underground reservoir, it was also kind of hosed up that any one of was could have slipped and been lost forever to near pitch black rapids below (picture an underground lake with no other light sources other than dozens of flickering flashlights). the part that made it really bad was further in when it got narrow enough horizontally that we were crawling as if through an airvent, except the vent is also really wet and ruins your shirt. man gently caress wet rear end caves

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Funky See Funky Do posted:

https://junjiitomanga.fandom.com/wiki/The_Enigma_of_Amigara_Fault

You reminded me of this bizarre horror story

Edit: In my defense, I haven't had any coffee yet

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 25, 2023

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

the title didnt?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

oh wow nice freaking catch

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The only cave I've ever been into was when I was hiking with my ex-gf through Pinnacles National Park, and the trail led through a cave part. It was quite short, and in retrospect, it was (as far as caves are concerned) was quite safe, with directional arrows and no squeezes. Still, clambering over the slick rocks and vertical ascents was one of the most terrifying 15 minutes of my life! I was so relieved to get out of it.

EDIT:

The Yo-Yo Pit Incident

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lol

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Well There's Your Problem did an episode on caving and caving disasters:

https://youtu.be/jUJKRVu6IVA?si=PWz5vsVxNN4Xgn1E

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Lmao

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Larger caves that you can actually walk around in are pretty neat but it's fun how even in the big safe tourist caves a guide will point out a nondescript looking nook and be like "Oh yeah, over here we have the Disappear Forever Hole, it looks like it's big enough to go inside but it will instantly obliterate your body and soul without a trace. Mind the path!"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
This hole was made for me! Durr, durrrr

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

The exciting thing about getting stuck in a small-crevice cave and never found again, is that you have the chance of getting fossilized into the rock for millions of years. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

the holy poopacy posted:

Larger caves that you can actually walk around in are pretty neat but it's fun how even in the big safe tourist caves a guide will point out a nondescript looking nook and be like "Oh yeah, over here we have the Disappear Forever Hole, it looks like it's big enough to go inside but it will instantly obliterate your body and soul without a trace. Mind the path!"

lol