Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

General Information

This is a complex role madness Mafia game for 17 players with two unique mechanics on top of the basic gameplay: Dueling and dishonor. There are no jesters, involuntary alignment changes, misleading role PMs, falsified flips or other similar mechanics involved.

Days will generally be approximately 48 hours long and nights 24 hours. Nights may end early if all actions are submitted; in that case leftover time will go into the day phase. The deadline will be approximately 10 pm UTC (5 pm EST), even if the day starts or ends early.

Eliminations will be by majority vote with hammer once majority is reached. No-elimination days are possible.

Shellception helped with improving the initial draft and proofreading. Thanks!

What the gently caress is Legend of the Five Rings

Legend of the Five Rings is a series of games set in the land of Rokugan, basically a fictional feudal Japan, the first of which appeared in the mid-90s. There is a pen and paper role-playing game several editions deep, several board games, and spin-off settings, but more than anything L5R is known as a collectible card game that for a while was almost popular enough to rival Magic: the Gathering. It underwent many iterations for a good 20 years or so, until about 2015 when the IP was sold to Fantasy Flight Games, who published a living card game edition of the game for several years before it was finally discontinued in 2021. The setting is also notorious for the original authors having a somewhat tenuous grasp on the Japanese language, resulting in a lot of names that sound incredibly goofy. I recommend rolling with it and not taking it too seriously.

Do I need to know any lore to play?

No. While there is plenty of flavor to go around, steps have deliberately been taken to randomize any aspects of roles that would lend themselves to flavor-solving. Simply enjoy the flavor for what it is.

I want to anyway

Rokugan is the dominant empire in the region, and largely isolated from other civilizations by stormy seas or hot deserts. To the southwest lies the Shadowlands and within them the Festering Pit, from which demons breach the veil between Jigoku and the mortal realm. Rokugan is ruled by a samurai elite organized into seven Great Clans; the Crane Clan, the Crab Clan, the Lion Clan, the Scorpion Clan, the Phoenix Clan, the Dragon Clan, and the Unicorn Clan. To the southeast, a yet-minor clan known as the Mantis Clan is making movements to become a Great Clan as well, although it will still be a number of years before that ambition will come to fruition. Each of the Great Clans claim direct descent from one of the eight kami - gods - who founded the nation, with the eighth kami having founded the imperial line.

At the time this takes place, Emperor Hantei XXXIX sits on the Chrysanthemum Throne; however, he is young, and brash, and his rule is an ill-omened one. Already dark forces conspire around him. Within a few years the empire will experience one of the greatest upheavals in its history, but for now there is an uneasy peace between the seven Great Clans. However, those who know their history know that it has been almost one thousand years since Fu Leng, the ninth kami, was sealed within the Black Scrolls, and that a prophecy foretells that their unsealing, and the return of that dark god, is nigh.

Dueling and Dishonor

Honor is a big deal in Rokugan, and the way to defend your honor is through dueling. A quick introductory guide has been prepared, so please read it first:

In short, all players have the ability to ##challenge other players to duels during the day. Each player has a ki pool representing their focus, tenacity and spiritual balance, that can be spent to increase your odds of winning a duel. An average player starts the game with 10 ki, which does not replenish. Spend it wisely.

Duels are resolved thusly: For each player, a number of coins are flipped equal to one plus the amount of ki bet on the duel. Whoever wins the most flips wins the duel.

Refusing duels causes dishonor. Having more than one stack of dishonor reduces the number of votes required to eliminate that player by 1 for each stack of dishonor beyond the first.

Losing duels causes wounds and blocks the loser from performing day or night actions this cycle. Taking more wounds after the first risks death; when this happens, for each wound beyond the first, a coin is flipped. If any of those flips are lost, the wound is fatal, and the wounded player dies.

Rules and Regulations

Standard rules apply.
  • Discord is required to play. > DISCORD SERVER IS HERE <
  • Do not edit posts.
  • Do not post while dead, at night, or between hammer and flip.
  • Do not quote or copy-paste out-of-thread information like moderator messages or private chats. Paraphrasing the contents of such messages is okay.
  • Do not discuss the game with anyone outside of authorized channels.
  • Do not fake day actions. If you perform or are targeted by a day action, do not post until it is resolved, unless it is a challenge. Note that players who have been challenged or are challenging someone can't be targeted by day actions until the duel is resolved.
  • Do not lurk. Less than 10 posts per game day will result in a warning, repeat lurking to more serious consequences. This minimum is reduced to 5 posts if the day ends more than 12 hours before deadline and removed entirely if the day ends more than 24 hours before deadline.
  • Night action results will generally be along the lines "Your action was successful", "Your action failed", and/or "Your target did X." Don't read too much into night action flavor and be aware that an action resolving successfully does not necessarily mean it resolved the way you intended!
  • In general, do not expect to be able to solve the game through flavor. Trying to is probably a mistake. In particular, clan alignments were randomized between mafia alignments, so expect no correlation between virtue and villainy in the setting and here.
  • Most importantly, have fun and treat fellow players as human beings.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, always remember that your mental well-being is more important than a forum game. While antagonism and deceit are inherent features of social deduction games, there are lines that should not be crossed that may be highly personal. If you feel stressed out, abused, angry, or in any other way discomforted beyond what you feel is part of the game, do not hesitate to reach out and say so. Nobody will think ill of you if you have comments or concerns, or want to leave the game at any point, before the game or during the game. The following users have been suggested as points of contact if you do not feel you can reach out to me: The Traditional Games forum moderators, Leperflesh and Antivehicular; and Mafia regulars VoodooFly, Hal Insandenza, Bifauxnen, Monathin, Wologar, Maerlyn, EccoRaven, CCKeane, Opopanax, Sandwolf and Shellception.

Players
  1. AFancyQuestionMark
  2. CirclMastr
  3. CubicalSucrose
  4. Deadmeat5150
  5. JosefStalinator
  6. Maugrim (He/him)
  7. mycelia (he)
  8. Pinterest Mom
  9. PlasticAutomaton (He/Him/Whatever)
  10. Punkreas
  11. Rhymes With Clue
  12. Snooze Cruise
  13. Somberbrero (He/him)
  14. SporkChan
  15. Tired Moritz
  16. wologar (he/him/whatever)
  17. Zoya

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i'll play

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

you know what i'm always sayin

ABJCG

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Equally matched duels don't explicitly remove dishonor stacks, good to know.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
tl;dr

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.
I'm in if I can be a Shujenga!

(I think that's what the wizards were called, over a decade since I played the TTRPG.)

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I call dibs on Matsu Gohei.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Ok, I read it. While Emperor Hentai XXXIX sits leisurely on the Heavenly Throne, we the mounted steppe warriors put our lives on the line to defend the realm from foreigners beyond the Great Wall.

Rokugan's world is a hodgepodge of Eastern Asian stuff.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Zoya posted:

you know what i'm always sayin

ABJCG

nobody asked what it means gently caress you guys

(Always Be Joining Crab Games)

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

wologar posted:

Ok, I read it. While Emperor Hentai XXXIX sits leisurely on the Heavenly Throne, we the mounted steppe warriors put our lives on the line to defend the realm from foreigners beyond the Great Wall.

Rokugan's world is a hodgepodge of Eastern Asian stuff.

Did someone say Great Wall???

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Zoya posted:

nobody asked what it means gently caress you guys

(Always Be Joining Crab Games)

:hmmyes:

I consider myself a Crab Game Connoisseur. I've only missed one.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Okay sure

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Might as well try my luck in my third ever mafia game. Hopefully I'll actually make it to the end this time and not get murdered N1.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'll play!

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Might as well try my luck in my third ever mafia game. Hopefully I'll actually make it to the end this time and not get murdered N1.

If I role scum I'll do my best to convince the rest of the team to kill you on D2 instead.

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy
I'll enter the ring!

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

i'm gonna pretend you're on my team this game regardless of either of our alignments

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I, the mighty Bayushi Aramoro, champion of the legendary Scorpion clan, will hereby take up my blade in defense of our Emperor. Death to the Prideful Lions, the Outsider Unicorns, the Obtuse Crab, the Prancing Crane, and the Silent Dragons. Only our allies of the Phoenix shall burn brightly with us as our star ascends the heavens.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Deadmeat5150 posted:

the Obtuse Crab

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
The Empire's defense depends critically on outsider technology, traditions and warfare. Thus, Unicorn is the best clan. QED.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Signed, Moto Khan.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

wologar posted:

Signed, Moto Khan.

i'm interested in hearing more about your doctrines

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Zoya posted:

i'm interested in hearing more about your doctrines

Are you prepared to make a hole in your ride's tank and drink oil from it? If not, you'll be better off prancing around with the phoenixes.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

wologar posted:

Signed, Moto Khan.

Strong Hovarabord vibes. Unsure if real picture.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hi

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

wologar posted:

Are you prepared to make a hole in your ride's tank and drink oil from it? If not, you'll be better off prancing around with the phoenixes.

i tried that with my horse last winter and it didn't work out very well for the horse

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Yaho, I know nothing about the lore but I'm willing to learn!

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Ah, unless I'm not needed! Sorry, I was going off the Discord :shobon: Come get me if you need a spare, I suppose!

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

mycelia posted:

Ah, unless I'm not needed! Sorry, I was going off the Discord :shobon: Come get me if you need a spare, I suppose!

I mean, it says it's for 17 players and there's only 12 so far, so I think you are needed probably.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Well then I am here!

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

mycelia posted:

Well then I am here!

don't vig me this time, it would be very rude to somber (my teammate)

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Well back from vacation surprised this didn't launch. I'm in.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I want to avenge myself if this still has room!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Yup. Two more open slots!

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Okay well now just one slot.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Alright Crabcakes I'll do it

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Night 0 has ended with the death of Hantei XXXVIII, EMPIRE-Aligned Chrysanthemum Emperor and Bayushi Shoju, EMPIRE-Aligned Scorpion Clan Samurai!

It is a time of great unrest in Rokugan. An already fragile peace has been endangered by the deeds of the Scorpion clan champion, Bayushi Shoju, whose traitorous hand slew Emperor Hantei XXXVIII in order to prevent an ancient prophecy from coming true, and in turn, Shoju was slain by the Lion champion, Akodo Toturi. Now, the late emperor's son sits precariously on the throne as Hantei XXXIX. Already dark forces whisper that the black scrolls will soon be unsealed, ushering in the prophecied Thousand Years of Darkness. The coming years will see Rokugan erupt into one of the bloodiest wars the nation has seen; as of now, the powder keg lies still, but the fuse could be lit at any second...

The game has begun. To provide some breathing room over the weekend, the deadline will be 72 hours. Relax, post at your own pace, and have fun.

Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (17): AFancyQuestionMark, CirclMastr, CubicalSucrose, Deadmeat5150, JosefStalinator, Maugrim, mycelia, Pinterest Mom, PlasticAutomaton, Punkreas, Rhymes With Clue, Snooze Cruise, Somberbrero, SporkChan, Tired Moritz, wologar, Zoya

With 17 alive, it's 9 votes to execute. The current deadline is September 18th, 2023 at 9 p.m. UTC -- that's in about 3 days, 3 hours.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 15, 2023

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Fight me again Keats, I dare you.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Ah phew I'm town this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr