Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

bravesword posted:

The Marlins have a negative run differential and have sucked rear end against good teams all season long, so they're almost certain to look like world-beaters for three weeks and go on a miracle run to the World Series

in'shallah

Marlins winning it all by accident would be the greatest outcome, gently caress sabermetric darlings and gently caress big spenders, all you need is :coolfish:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Obviously they want a throwaway starter, but picking an actually quality reliever to ditch feels incredibly stupid. Like, why not DFA Ryu, who's going to be a free agent anyway? Or send Schneider back down, since he's still in a huge slump, and I know he has options.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Mustached Demon posted:

One of modern historys greatest crimes.

The crime being that Jeter removed it, right? Right?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Popete posted:

I hope the Orioles win it all.

No longer friends with GOMS, now GOOS my best friend

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Shrecknet posted:

in'shallah

Marlins winning it all by accident would be the greatest outcome, gently caress sabermetric darlings and gently caress big spenders, all you need is :coolfish:

no they cannot experience victory again till they restore the dinger statue, the :coolfish: quotient is insufficient

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well there you go

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1708542052529512551?s=20

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I can't believe everyone hates the team that unapologetically cheated to win the World Series and none of the players involved got punished for it.

Let's be fair, the team wasn't punished either

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I guess they have to wait until the Brewers are eliminated to announce Counsell

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Astros lose game 162

Astros face Twins in WC around, get swept
Rangers face Twins in ALDS, get swept
Orioles and Twins play in ALCS, Orioles win

This is what I want to see

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Then the Marlins sweep the Os

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
GOOS

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Some Numbers posted:

Astros lose game 162

Astros face Twins in WC around, get swept
Rangers face Twins in ALDS, get swept
Orioles and Twins play in ALCS, Orioles win

This is what I want to see

Hopeful that the universe's desire to disappoint Seattle fans continues

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Obviously they want a throwaway starter, but picking an actually quality reliever to ditch feels incredibly stupid. Like, why not DFA Ryu, who's going to be a free agent anyway? Or send Schneider back down, since he's still in a huge slump, and I know he has options.

ya it's a strange move

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

I'm still surprised the jays managed to make the playoffs. They looked so bad at times this year

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

oh no :(

https://x.com/RedSox/status/1708550648914903185?s=20

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
It really seemed like no one in the AL wanted those bottom two WC slots

e: Tim :smith:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
jfc this makes the Schilling thing even worse

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

elentar posted:

What a massive rear end in a top hat he is.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dinosaurs! posted:

The crime being that Jeter removed it, right? Right?

Yes very much so. I will never forgive him for it.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

That hits hard. I didn't realize that he was that sick. I watched so many of his games, he was always putting himself out there and giving it his best.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

gently caress that's terrible. I hate that Schillings selfishness is going to make him such a big part of the story too

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Schilling's already hated for everything else, but I hope this cuts him off from society. I hope no one in baseball ever talks with him again, except to curse him.

Atlanta had no idea how to hit Wakefield in 1992. They brought Phil Niekro in during the playoffs, so they could have BP off another knuckler. Niekro was in his 50s. The Braves couldn't hit him either.

My other outstanding memory of that era with Wakefield is him getting mad at Tim McCarver for calling him Bill.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

elentar posted:

Yeah what the actual gently caress

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

no Baltimores bird is an oriole

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Shrecknet posted:

no Baltimores bird is an oriole

BIRB GANG.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Is there some kind of mega rear end in a top hat brain cancer that strikes the really extremely good guys in baseball, what the hell

I'm still not over Dan Quisenberry, and now this

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
:smith:

gently caress cancer

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Red SoX pitchers should throw knuckleballs tonight in honor

:(

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Ragnarok the Red posted:

:smith:

gently caress cancer

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
That is very sad to hear. Rest in peace.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The absolute shittiest part is that his wife will probably be right behind him. She has pancreatic cancer, which is almost always terminal.

Cancer's just great let me tell ya, ask their kids sometime :(

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Wakefield was always fun to watch pitch when I was a kid. I don't think I've ever heard a bad word about him. :smith:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Edit: Wrong thread, GOMS

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Edit: Still wrong thread (Good job Kirios you idiot, you loving imbecile.)

GOMS 2.0

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There's way too many people angry at Schilling for making Wakefield's illness about himself making Wakefield's death about Schilling.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
RIP. The late 90s red sox teams were the best Yankee villain's of my lifetime and he was a big part of all of it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Curt Schilling can gently caress off. RIP to Tim Wakefield.

On a less horrible note, people in here hating the Rangers is p funny. Having any strong opinion on the Rangers is funny, like they might be the least relevant franchise in MLB.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nah that's the Rockies or the Pirates

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Some of it is clearly regional rivalry stuff from the Astros fans. I never much got the “hate the other team” thing but it’s like the most basic of rivalry stuff. Otherwise it’s probably just general ill feelings towards Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I hereby nominate Zack Greinke to the position of "dude that learns a knuckleball and pitches for an extra decade."

Seriously though, cancer sucks and Wakefield was a genuine dude. Here's to a cool life.