Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

more falafel please posted:

Speaking of baseball books: any recs? I've got a trip to Europe with a lot of train travel coming up.

Besides the other recs:

Ball Four
The Glory of Their Times (about the deadball era)
Where They Ain't (about the 1890s Baltimore Orioles)
The Black Prince of Baseball (Hal Chase)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Was looking at random stats.

The A's leader in wins is still Shintaro Fujinami, who was dealt six weeks ago to Baltimore. Fujinami had 5 wins in Oakland. 20 different pitchers wins, 9 have 1 win. Somehow, only JP Sears has more than 8 losses All of it strikes me as a bit wild.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

Braves broke the NL record for homers in a season tonight when Acuña hit their 280th on the year; Ozuna added 281 later in the inning. Chasing the 2019 Twins for the MLB record, which is 307.

At the same time, they also have the 6th lowest strikeout rate in baseball, which is pretty wild.

And Matt Olson tied Andruw Jones for the franchise single season home run record at 51.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It's not like Atlanta didn't give everybody a chance this year with its pitching.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Matt Olson has broken Atlanta's single season home run record

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

https://twitter.com/AirTrafficAJ/status/1287770532818169857

This was a real thing they tried to make happen. "Ryan Dempster Fever: Catch It!"

The only comment is that they think it's from 1993. That rattles some brain cells. I think I remember this. A hip hop song - but not too hip hop as this is 1993 MLB - generically about baseball. The chorus featured the line: baseball, catch the fever now/baseball, let me show you how.

This was about a year after MLB was using EMF's Unbelievable, though I can't remember if that had fresh lyrics or not.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

generally a bad idea if you’re other teams to let the Marlins into the postseason just sayin

Eric Gregg is deceased.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Schilling's already hated for everything else, but I hope this cuts him off from society. I hope no one in baseball ever talks with him again, except to curse him.

Atlanta had no idea how to hit Wakefield in 1992. They brought Phil Niekro in during the playoffs, so they could have BP off another knuckler. Niekro was in his 50s. The Braves couldn't hit him either.

My other outstanding memory of that era with Wakefield is him getting mad at Tim McCarver for calling him Bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Atlanta tied the MLB mark with 307 homers in a year. They likely would have broken it had the rest of the NL East not collapsed upon itself.

Usual lineup homer, RBI totals
Ronald Acuna Jr: 41, 106
Ozzie Albies: 33, 109
Austin Riley: 37, 97
Matt Olson: 54, 139
Marcell Ozuna: 40, 100 (homered twice and drove in four today)
Sean Murphy: 21, 68
Eddie Rosario: 21, 74
Orlando Arcia: 17, 65
Michael Harris II: 18, 57

Acuna and Mookie Betts tied with 8.4 WAR.