Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The writing in their first game, Card Quest, was surprisingly in depth. A three paragraph blurb for every node. A different paragraph or two for using the checkpoint system. And then theres the Dragon Whistle that lets you go to any drat node you please, complete with a paragraph or so of new stuff. A whole new description for just hitting the boss first of course. But then theres stuff like how the Roof node is you ending up on the wrong end of an aerial dog fight.

Edit: terrible snipe, will include the best one later

Edit edit: lost my save file, unwilling to beat the tutorial again to get those paragraphs

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

This game makes me feel so stupid. Not because I die, just because interactions are so hard to figure out.

It took me at least 15 minutes to figure out how to make kava tea. I tried combining kava root with coconut bowl water. Nope.
I tried cooking kava root in a campfire. Nope.
I tried cooking kava root in a campfire and a bowl at the same time. Nope.
I tried combining kava root with boiling water. Nope.
I checked the wiki, and it has no detailed information.
I tried combining coconut bowl water with kava root (I didn't expect this to work but nothing else was working so why not try). Nope.
I tried combining boiling water with kava root (I didn't expect this to work but nothing else was working so why not try). Nope.
I tried combining two kava roots together (it was something to try, okay). Nope.
I check the wiki again, still no help.
Google just returns real world information about kava root. Interesting but not helpful.
I check this thread and everyone says you can combine kava with water without boiling. Huh, okay...
What happens if I combine my knife with the kava root? I couldn't even explain my thought process here, but it works! Progress at last! Now I can finally combine the ground kava with coconut bowl water.

I've been sleeping through the night so far, mostly because there doesn't seem to be anything you can do at night. Is this the right thing to do? Also I love monkeys. Free food that delivers itself right to my campsite? Yes, please.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

There are some things you can do in the dark, and most handcrafts can be done with a light source like a fire. A 4 hour nap is generally fine most days, so lighting up the fire for a few hours to do some cooking while you craft isn't a bad idea.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Weaving fibers into cord is always a good downtime task, you’ll never have enough of the stuff.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Having a stack of snake grass around is a great way to be productive while waiting for food to cook.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
In the current state of combat you should absolutely be training with at least the spear every morning and evening while it's dark. Getting ~50+ is pretty essential to not dicerolling tons of wounds every fight, even with armour.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Thanks!

Had my first death. Got bit by a spider while sleeping in a zone with a leaf bed and palm shelter. It took me a game day to figure out how to apply a bandage to it. I didn’t realize you have to apply the bandage to the wound like putting food in a fire and kept trying to apply it to my portrait. Then my legs got bad and I starved. Oops. I was constantly struggling to have enough water, maybe because I had my base in the jungle because I thought it would provide shade from the sun.

I think I did okay food wise. Mostly spear and line fishing plus the occasional random animal. I was putting fish scraps in two deadfall traps but never caught anything.

Next game I think I will try waiting to unlock the wetlands to make a base there. It will make the walk to the bay longer, but if I can worry about water less it would be nice. Going to make a harpoon and then focus on mud/clay crafting I think. I was trying to space mudbrick and other crafting out for skill gain and I think that was a bad plan. Maybe I need to focus more on getting some early amenities up.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Part of the fun is learning from failure.

The urge to post solutions some of us have already learned is strong, but I for one will not deny you your journey of discovery.

I do enjoy, however, watching your progression.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

LLSix posted:

Thanks!

Had my first death. Got bit by a spider while sleeping in a zone with a leaf bed and palm shelter. It took me a game day to figure out how to apply a bandage to it. I didn’t realize you have to apply the bandage to the wound like putting food in a fire and kept trying to apply it to my portrait.

As a mechanical note, you want to put the bandage on as you did, but you also want to wash the wound with clean fresh water or salt water (gives a debuff for mood) if the infection percentage is high. The bandage will slow down bacteria growth but you have to get out what is already in there as well.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Trivia posted:

Part of the fun is learning from failure.

The urge to post solutions some of us have already learned is strong, but I for one will not deny you your journey of discovery.

I do enjoy, however, watching your progression.

I appreciate any and all advice.

This morning I learned the hard way that while you can rush discovering Wetlands day 1, it leaves you starving and short on coconut halves so it's probably better to do it over 2-3 days with a fire on the beach in the meantime. Going to try that next.

CuddleCryptid posted:

As a mechanical note, you want to put the bandage on as you did, but you also want to wash the wound with clean fresh water or salt water (gives a debuff for mood) if the infection percentage is high. The bandage will slow down bacteria growth but you have to get out what is already in there as well.

Thanks. It would never have occurred to me to try that.

Edit: In my new run a Macaque tried to steal stuff from my camp day 1 at 21:00. I tried to kill it but instead successfully failed and just knocked it unconscious. I'm leaning towards just killing and eating it since I already spend a ton of time keeping myself fed. But maybe I should tame it instead?

LLSix fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 27, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Ended up eating my monkey potential-friend. He was delicious.

On night 9 of my attempt to build a base in the wetlands. This feels like a bad idea. Like the Jungle it still gets pretty hot and water in my coconut bowls is evaporating really quickly here. Also there's so many bugs even my hunter character is bothered by them. I feel like I need to find someplace better to build a permanent base. I did accidentally spend a few nights on the beach and having moon light to let me work through the night was very nice. Maybe I should plan on moving my main base there. The only immobile thing I have in the wetlands so far is a kiln so it wouldn't cost me too much. With an eye to either building a mud hut for the stormy season or planning on getting started on yet another base in some as-yet undiscovered zone on day 20 or so.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'll say up front that it's a bad idea to put a base on the beach because everything will get blown away by storms. Things like fire pits and other structures are fine but huts will get damaged constantly and loose items will get blown away constantly. You also can't walk around during a storm so you can get trapped inside.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Wetlands is bug central which makes it a pretty dangerous place to stay in all the time.

Have been tinkering with offbeat challenge characters recently and the combination of Final Storm, Weak Immune System, Pessimistic and Birthday Suit in the Jungle Highlands has led to some fun new challenges I hadn't considered. Not being able to rush a proper mud hut due to constant bacterial infections is a proper pain likewise copper is almost impossible to acquire early for the same reason. Have to always be making teas.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Aww man don't go and spoil the discovery. Might as well just read the wiki for the most optimal strategy.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Day 18:

Water is no longer a problem. I made 3 clay vases several days ago (I have trouble keeping track of exact dates here) and have yet to drink so much as a single sip from them. Instead, frequent rainstorms keep my dozens of coconut shells full of water. I recently learned that I can drink more swiftly from the water gourd I arrived on the island with than from coconuts. It is a small time savings, but every bit helps. I see no need to build a clay reservoir for water at this time, but have laid out the blueprints for one near my shelter in the Wetlands, having not yet found a better place to rest my head.

I feel as if I spend at least half of every day gathering food for myself. Recently my luck while fishing has been poor but, fortunately, I stumbled across a goat in the Western Highlands which I have only just begun exploring. The goat's luck was even worse than mine. Goat Stew is delicious, but unfortunately the recipe calls for "filler" which I understand to be flour, rice, or yams. Despite fully exploring the jungle I have not uncovered a single yam plant and only one sago tree. I am not sure how to secure additional filler once I have used up my lone tree. In any case I am out of goat meat now. Unfortunately the spirits are not yet willing to share the ancient techniques of putting seeds in the ground so farming is impossible. I suppose I will have to explore further afield if my stomach will let me wander so far from the beach. It is difficult to tell, but I believe I have not lost much weight since my arrival, and wish to avoid doing so. In any case, my appetite is good, as long as I eat a variety of food types each day. Sadly, coconuts, while abundant, must be a sometimes food lest everything I eat quickly escape out the other end of my body.

Recently I discovered a steep hillside which I could climb to reach the highlands from the wetlands. Frustratingly, the spirits will not allow me to combine a rope with it to make climbing safer. Nor will they teach me how to extract oil or milk from coconuts to allow me to construct even the most primitive of torches to explore the cave with.

In happier news, I have made my first steps towards animal husbandry. Yesterday I completed an enclosure in the wetlands and also set my first snare trap there. I baited the snare trap with my last seed in the hopes of catching a partridge to put in the enclosure. I also baited my deadfall with one of my difficult to find bananas. I hope to catch and eat another monkey with it. As yet neither plan has produced success.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 3, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

LLSix posted:

Goat Stew is delicious, but unfortunately the recipe calls for "filler" which I understand to be flour, rice, or yams. Despite fully exploring the jungle I have not uncovered a single yam plant and only one sago tree. I am not sure how to secure additional filler once I have used up my lone tree. In any case I am out of goat meat now. Unfortunately the spirits are not yet willing to share the ancient techniques of putting seeds in the ground so farming is impossible. I suppose I will have to explore further afield if my stomach will let me wander so far from the beach.
This isn't really a major "discover it on your own, that's a lot of the fun of the game" moment to me but in case you'd like to blunder upon it later without this aid, feel free to ignore the spoiler text:

You can keep "exploring" a location you have 100% scouted, you have a chance to find any resources that turn up in the area on every search. It's not guaranteed chance, you're still at the mercy of the RNG, but if you need like more yams/bananas you can just keep wandering the jungle. Note that it also rolls the chance for animals every time, too.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

LLSix posted:

Recently I discovered a steep hillside which I could climb to reach the highlands from the wetlands. Frustratingly, the spirits will not allow me to combine a rope with it to make climbing safer. Nor will they teach me how to extract oil or milk from coconuts to allow me to construct even the most primitive of torches to explore the cave with.

A spoilered tip on this, don't read it if you don't want to:

Just drag extracted coconut flesh over an empty coconut husk, which will process that into coconut milk and unlock the proper recipe for it. Once you have that, you can boil it for a couple of hours to turn it into oil.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Great post.

I'm at the edge of my seat.

For everyone else, read the short story "Survivor Type" by King. Has a less happy ending.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
lady fingers they taste just like lady fingers

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Inadequately posted:

A spoilered tip on this, don't read it if you don't want to:

Just drag extracted coconut flesh over an empty coconut husk, which will process that into coconut milk and unlock the proper recipe for it. Once you have that, you can boil it for a couple of hours to turn it into oil.

Thanks! I discovered that clay cooking pots don't loose liquid. And also that they can hold oil. Suddenly cooking is much more time efficient.

Hogama posted:

This isn't really a major "discover it on your own, that's a lot of the fun of the game" moment to me but in case you'd like to blunder upon it later without this aid, feel free to ignore the spoiler text:

You can keep "exploring" a location you have 100% scouted, you have a chance to find any resources that turn up in the area on every search. It's not guaranteed chance, you're still at the mercy of the RNG, but if you need like more yams/bananas you can just keep wandering the jungle. Note that it also rolls the chance for animals every time, too.

Thanks! I've had terrible luck with this. Just the worst, but that's the RNG's fault, not yours.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Finally beat the game with Hunter via escape.

Nothing like loading the boat up to the gills with provisions and then having the first storm's first wave completely wreck your poo poo.

I made it out but just barely. My guy was starting to hallucinate and anything further would probably have lead to self-harm.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Trivia posted:

Finally beat the game with Hunter via escape.

Nothing like loading the boat up to the gills with provisions and then having the first storm's first wave completely wreck your poo poo.

I made it out but just barely. My guy was starting to hallucinate and anything further would probably have lead to self-harm.

Congratulations on your escape!

I feel like I'm still mostly spinning my wheels just trying to stay fed.

I hadn't been spoilering anything because I thought everyone else already knew everything.

I was messing around a bit today and discovered If you press and hold at the bottom/top of cards it'll quick transfer a stack to/from your hand that changes zones with you. Such a nice quality of life mechanic I wish I'd known about earlier.

I also learned you can't build reservoirs in the wetlands cave. Is that true of caves in general? I was hoping I could build a reservoir there to minimize evaporation loss. I wonder if it would make sense to build a reservoir on the beach since it seems like water doesn't evaporate very fast there.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
What locations do people like for making their base? I haven't played this in a while and was thinking of getting back into it. I vaguely remember easy access to seawater/sand/mud/wood are the most important pieces. I think I won once by building in the mangroves? and just living with being constantly bugbit. The coasts seemed nice but like a newbie trap since storms destroy everything.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I like to build on the grasslands near the jungle, connected to the mangrove forest. Insects aren't bad, mangroves provide infinite clay, jungle gives lots of good stuff, safe during storms

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I'm making a run with the little girl and her grandfather and the secret valley is just too far from the ocean.

I reckon grasslands / jungle are best. Bugs can be mitigated.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anyone know if fish populations are tracked? i.e. can you overfish a zone?

ClothHat posted:

What locations do people like for making their base? I haven't played this in a while and was thinking of getting back into it. I vaguely remember easy access to seawater/sand/mud/wood are the most important pieces. I think I won once by building in the mangroves? and just living with being constantly bugbit. The coasts seemed nice but like a newbie trap since storms destroy everything.

I've played the first month a couple of times but never survived a year, so take this with a grain of salt.

The hunter can survive making their base in the wetlands. However, it's too hot and too far from the coast (for fishing) to be a good location. The easy access to the wet puddles there is pretty convenient.

The jungle off the beach is okay, but again, pretty hot, meaning you need lots of water.

The grassland off the Jungle is where I plan to settle long term. I think for my next run I'm going to try to spend as much of the first season as I can living on the beach for easy fishing access and also being able to stay up at night without a fire. I'm going to build my kiln in the jungle for early clay access and easy access to firewood.

Only once I'm ready to start building a reservoir and mud hut do I plan to move to the grasslands. The other reason I don't want to move into the grasslands to early is lizards. I'd like to have at least leather pants. Getting skilled with a range weapon like sling or bow would be nice but I doubt is practical that early. Maybe I'll prep all the reservoir materials in the jungle then haul them into the grasslands on a travois.

Speaking of reservoirs, does anyone know how many portions of water a reservoir holds? It's a bit tempting to just make dozens of cooking pots instead. They only hold two portions of water but they don't evaporate so seem like better dry-season storage.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

LLSix posted:

Anyone know if fish populations are tracked? i.e. can you overfish a zone?

The only fish population that's tracked is for Mudskippers.

Non-fish seafood is population tracked though.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

What is the travois supposed to be good for? I put one on my bottom row and it alone almost makes me encumbered. I thought it would be good to get mud from the wetlands with but it seems like maybe not.

My new game is going well. I built a woven basket day 3 or 4 to make hauling sand and mud more efficient. I made 7 cooking pots by day ten. Then I fell while climbing for coconuts as the hunter on a clear day. So I am taking it easy and fishing a lot. My next big project is going to be building farms I think. I have been grinding snake grass once in the morning and once in the evening to level herbology. Finally unlocked the crop plot blueprint on day 14. I don’t have anything to plant yet, but I want to get them built so the next rain can water them. I plan on exploring to find plantable things after that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The travois burdens you but it holds a significantly higher amount of material than it weighs to move around. You can think of containers like that as flat adds in terms of weight, they have their own mass but then they apply a (iirc) 80% reduction on anything you put in them. That means that it instantly takes you into yellow encomberance, but you can load a lot into it without going into red.

It's good for moving things like logs around, and you can put further containers inside to do even more weight reduction.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
If I recall, the way containers work under the hood is that they generally negate a certain amount of carried weight, but they also have their own item weights and weight capacities to take into consideration as well. So the travois is pretty heavy on its own, but will hold quite a bit until it actually gets heaviER - the capacity is usually more than the weight negation, so a fully loaded travois is heavier than an empty one, but a lightly loaded travois and a moderately loaded travois should both be the same total weight. It's pretty easy to test visually in game, hold nothing but an empty travois and then start loading it with like large stones. You shouldn't see a second increase in your own carried weight until you completely fill the travois.

Liquid containers have no weight negation, though - the weight difference between holding an empty clay jar and a full one is exactly the difference in water weight (I think like the waterskins will reduce their own weight as a container when equipped but won't make the water lighter).

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Fill the Travois with sacks and you can move absolutely massive amounts of stones, wood, etc. It's one of the best items you can make, especially once paths are dug.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I've found that you can lug the travois around without hitting the encumbered threshold if you also put your backpack and other accessories on it, or just take them off and leave them for a bit. Won't work if you're wearing a bunch of armor and weapons etc but it's plenty for when you feel like you gotta lug 36 cards of sand or mud around a few screens.

E: obviously doesn't apply with malnutrition or injury in play, those will negatively affect how much you can carry.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Once I get a travois, I stop holding things in my slots for travel except a knife, and then I load it with sacks and my backpack - I don't forget to unload it then. If I'm packing the travois full, sometimes I'll wear the backpack - often you'll need to play a bit to get no encumbrance, but you can haul so much stuff. You can even fit a pig or tree in it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Thanks for the travois tips. I didn’t realize you could put stuff in it directly. For some reason I thought you had to put containers in and then fill it up. With the travois and basket (and dumping all my flour and basically everything else on the beach) I was able to carry 50% more than with basket alone. 18 mud per unencumbered trip vs 12. That got me enough mud that I ran out of ash for crop plots before anything else.

Day 18. I recovered from my fall early yesterday and was finally able to remove the splint. My injury did not seem to slow most tasks, but the pain was a major source of stress. Doubly so as swimming was one of the few tasks that took longer due to the injury. I ran through nearly all my Aloe treating it. Aloe gel applied to wounds seems to be absorbed very quickly. My recovery was just in time. I was attacked by a cobra in the wetlands and barely avoided injury. I must practice more and expedite plans to construct a sharp spear using some flint I found in a rocky section of shoreline. The grasslands is far more dangerous than I expected.

Finally, after nearly a week without rain, the spirits have blessed us with a heavy downpour less than an hour after I finished the last of this batch of crop plots in the grasslands. The spirits further blessed me by showing me the way to a patch of chilis just minutes later. I was so excited I immediately harvested and planted one of the chilis. Even though the rain was still pouring down heavily. I also harvested and planted almonds I found while searching for the chili. I fear my excitement may have caused me to plant too soon as the rain continued for hours. I plan to fetch the last of the aloe and plant it in the grasslands as well as I am not sure if it could survive the storms that sweep the bay and other coastal areas.

On my way to harvest the last of the aloe, I stopped in the jungle and spent 2 hours digging up and replanting a pair of yams. I can already taste the delicious meals of fish and chips I see in my future.

Hopefully the rain will stop while I sleep tonight. In the morning I plan to harvest bananas and plant a pair of them in the jungle along with one of the snake grass seeds as I fear my aggressive study of that valuable species may have exterminated them. In any case, I hope to make many sacks in the future so an abundance of snake grass will prove valuable.

In total, I expect to plant in the jungle:
2 yams, 2 bananas, and a snake grass.

In the wetlands, I plan to plant
1 aloe
1 almond tree
1 chili plant

My experiment with prawns was a success and yielded rotten remains that will allow me to clear 4 more crop plots. I will likely do so then turn my attention to construction of a reservoir. I have not yet decided if I want it on the beach or the wetlands. Perhaps I will build 1 in each location? I also need to pay more attention to keeping my weight up. It is difficult to tell in this place.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Day 24
Today the spirits have taught me a harsh lesson. The snake grass and kava I planted has perished (I miscalculated with all the trips back and forth and ended up with enough extra resources to build an extra crop plot and planted kava in it). It has been 4 days since the last rain. The puddles in the once-wetlands are bone dry. Lacking water, the kava died. I had hoped there would be some grace period after running low on water, but it appears such optimism was unwarranted. I fear for my own fate should I become dehydrated, yet I must water the banana trees I planted or lose all the time and effort I have invested in them. Fortunately, I made a large number of sealable cooking pots shortly after the spirits guided me here. 4 of them are still full of water. I will split my water between my banana trees and myself evenly. Hopefully it will rain soon.

Day 25
No rain today. I am down to my last pot of water. I will attempt to stretch my water supply with coconut water despite the damage it does to my digestion.

Day 26.
I gave the last of my water to the banana trees this morning. I can only pray for rain now, but the skies remain stubbornly clear. My thirst is persistent and stressful. I drank the last coconut at noon today. It has been hours since even a drop of liquid gas passed my lips.

Day 27
I shouted out loud as a light rain fell from the heavens like the blessings of the spirits. (I shouted in real life, surprising my friends). I am saved! Saved! I turned my face up to the sky and gave thanks as it poured into me, revitalizing my parched flesh.

If this near death experience has taught me anything, it is that I need to plan better. In that spirit, I must decide what my next priority should be. In the jungle I have constructed a
Kiln
Loom
Clay cooler
And a bed but no shelter.

My cooler is half full of food and I have more than I need to process into meals. Food is less of an issue than the time needed to prepare it. At least for the next two days or so.

Options I need to decide between are:
I recently unlocked leather backpack and waterskin recipes. I could build one each or a bunch of waterskins (I got lucky and killed a boar raiding my yams). If I do it, it should be soon as my fat will spoil if I don’t use it in the next few days. I’m not equipped well enough to actively hunt boar so getting more fat is unlikely in the near future. On the other hand, I already have a basket and a travois. I’m not sure how much of an upgrade either would be.

I could instead/in addition make a sack. I’m running low on snake grass but could likely find more by exploring.

I have 6 rotten remains. I could use them to make more crop plots. I would need to make a trip to wetlands for mud. If I am doing this, I need to do it now, because it is only a light rain. On the other hand, rotten remains are easy to get - prawns from tide pools rot into remains.

I could build an enclosure in the grasslands and build traps to try and catch partridges. I don’t know how I would feed them, but it as an option and I feel some urgency since I am worried about accidentally exterminating partridges when I move off the beach for the wet season.

I could build a reservoir in the wetlands. This will make watering crops easier and much safer.

I could build a reservoir in the grasslands. This will make watering crops easier and much safer. However, the grasslands are still too dangerous for all but short visits. Most of my stuff is on the beach right now.

I have 2-3 logs (I have been cutting down trees for woodworking practice). I could focus on building a mud hut in the grasslands. The grasslands remain dangerous, but there’s a lot of efficiency boosting structures that need a house.

I could make a bow and arrows to begin training with to ultimately mitigate the risks of the grasslands. This would require a trip to the rocky shore to get flint for a sharp knife.

Or I could step up rock throwing practice. I have been practicing rock throwing by doing that as the first action when birds raid. I do not know when the sling unlocks but soon hopefully.

I could research the recipe for the hammock. I’m not sure what this does or even if it can be used without a house, but I am getting low on sleep so a better bed sounds attractive.

My current plan is to head to the wetlands, collect 6 mud in my basket and bananas.
I will build another crop plot, then plant 1 banana, 1 kava, and 1 snake grass. It’s a bit of a risk trying to keep all of these plots watered, but the wet season is nearly here. I will probably make it and I want the third banana tree as a buffer for the dry season.

After that I will head to the grasslands. Unfortunately I left my flint spear at the beach. Lingering in the area while so poorly equipped would be unwise. I will quickly gather 4 chilis to make macaque skewers with. I have 4 pieces of monkey meat, 2 at 15% remaining in the cooler. I just built the cooler, but hopefully that’ll keep the meat good long enough to build into skewers with. All told, that will take about 3 hours or 12 turns. Then I think I will plant (accepting some fungus). Should be about 10 island time.

Then I will grab my travois and basket and head to the bay. I will leave my travois and basket there while I head to the rocks to look for flint for a sharp knife to make my bow. This’ll let me start grinding bow skills. I’ll make what I can on the beach and then haul a load of stuff into the jungle at 18:00 to build a shelter there.

The following days will alternate tailoring & woodworking practice with hauling stuff in from the beach, and then alternating reservoir work with working towards a sack. I don’t need a reservoir right now but I worry I’ll keep putting it off if I don’t get it done. After that, probably an enclosure, then mud hut

I’m not sure what to do with my leather. I may just save it for leather pants; although I don’t have enough skill to unlock that recipe yet.

Going to sleep on this plan.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I haven't even played the game, just kept an eye on things after the thread branched off from the general survival game thread, but thats a really good journal post! :)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Day 27, 15:00

Success! Sort of. Despite careful planning, it is now 5 hours later than I expected. Planting takes twice as long as I estimated (30 minutes, not 15), and I was attacked in the grasslands. Fortunately by a delicious monkey and not something more dangerous. More challengingly, a crazy person (me) built half a dozen crop plots in the grasslands. Seeing how quickly I was going through the chili plants, I could not resist planting two more. Unfortunately, I was planning to eat those two chilis, so I will need to make another visit to harvest more tomorrow. Surprisingly, there are now three almond trees in the grasslands. I assume the almonds I planted survived somehow.

Despite my late return, I managed to prep the monkey meat for cooking (resetting the spoil timer). The clay cooler is magical!

I have 3-4 hours before night falls and a round trip to the rocks takes about two hours. I am no longer sure a trip today is wise. I may need to delay until tomorrow afternoon.

Twenty Four posted:

I haven't even played the game, just kept an eye on things after the thread branched off from the general survival game thread, but thats a really good journal post! :)

Thanks!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Day 28
Tragedy! Disaster!
While searching for flint I stepped on an urchin. The pain was terrible, but after removing the spines, my movement didn't seem to be hindered too much. Then, heaping folly on unwisdom, I stepped on an urchin with my other foot. Having found no flint and injured both my feat, I decided too retreat. I arrived back home just as night fell. I have no cloth to fashion a bandage out of, so I will have to wait until morning so I can harvest weevil lilly leaves to bandage both of my feet with. I'm such an idiot.

Day 29.
Aloe does not seem to speed healing of urchin injuries at all. I put aloe gel on one foot and not the other and noticed no difference in healing rate.
It rained today. The rainy season is coming and I feel completely unprepared but there's not much I can do with both feet injured.

Day 30.
It rained again today. While there has not yet been a proper storm, I feel like the rainy season is fully upon us. Hindered and delayed by having both feet injured I feel as if I have accomplished little. This is not far from the truth, but while I made no progress towards my intended goals, I have other things to be happy about. I managed to evacuate all of my possessions from the beach into the jungle, including over 100 feathers and 40 coconut halves. Only a few bits of wood and some spare fire-starting gear I will not mind losing are left there now. I have crafted a pair of coconut shoes, they are uncomfortable, but I hope they will protect my feet the next time I search for flint. Sometime tomorrow judging by how quickly my feet are recovering. A boar tried to steal some of my yams and I successfully fought it off. I now have even more food. My clay pot cooler is perpetually full of food and rotating items in and out to delay spoilage is a major chore that must be performed several times a day simply because so many animals keep trying to steal my food and end up becoming food instead. Last, but hopefully not least, I have half finished sowing a leather backpack together. The last of the leather I needed just finished curing today but I still need to make many more threads to finish sowing it together. I have not made a leather backpack before and I hope the large amount of leather it used will be worthwhile. It took all the leather I scraped together in the first 30 days here, accounting for half a dozen monkeys and a boar. At least the new boar's skin will go some ways to replenishing my stock of leather.

I have not yet decided if I will go search for flint or gather mud to make clay immediately after my feet recover. Both projects seem pressing.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 26, 2023

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
That's a lot of fuckin' feathers goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Day 31
My feet are healed at last!
I forgot to put my shoes on.
I hate urchins.

Trivia posted:

That's a lot of fuckin' feathers goddamn.

Yeah. I guess I can start using them to make mud bricks. Seagulls just kept volunteering to be dinner while I was living on the beach. Kind of like monkeys and pigs in the jungle.

Does the palm hat do anything? The grass skirt raises your temperature, but the palm hat doesn’t seem to lower it as you would expect if it is providing “protection from the sun”. I guess maybe it’s not useful for the hunter?